retired family migrants visa advice

gordonsmith

hey folks, been a long time.

looking for advice for my parents, there both in their 60s and want to come and retire here in Brisbane to be with their only grandchild. I see some visas on the immi site that come in around the 6000 quid mark per person. has anyone tried these? are they painful to get? how long did the application take?

thanks in advance folks.

Gordon

There is the contributory parent visa, but it costs $50k each or thereabouts. Also it doesn't matter how many grandchildren they have, it depends on how many children they have and where the children live.

bungo im their only child. the visa costs $50,000 each. that's crazy

The justification is that they are no no longer going to be working and therefore not paying any tax and as such not contributing to the Australian government. However given their age they will be taking alot of services in terms of medical assistance, social assistance etc. This is why there is a high cost associated with the visa.

You can also say that by migrating to Australia you purposely choose to remove your family from your parents. Harsh, but immigrating is in many ways a selfish act that has consequences. At least there is an option available - many countries do not have even that for elderly relatives.

The reason is that a retired couple aren't going to contribute much to the economy, but they will cost the taxpayer money in terms of medical treatment, aged care etc. So the government wants some money upfront to pay for all that.

It's great that Australia even have such a visa, most countries do not. It's a choice to move to another country and a very difficult one at that.

'The justification is that they are no no longer going to be working and therefore not paying any tax and as such not contributing to the Australian government'

Can I just make a small objection here? I completely agree that, given the likely drag on social & health services, migrating parents will be expensive to maintain, and I think its absolutely fair the Australia charges what at first sight appears to be an astronomical fee - it really isn't that much when you consider the possible expense to the Aus govt and we're lucky to have the option. But please don't say that migrating parents wont be contributing anything. As far as I'm aware there is no upper age limit on payment of income tax and I'm quite sure we would be taxed just as any other adult - plus of course we would be contributing to the economy as consumers - not to mention as free babysitters. A smaller contribution perhaps, but not nothing.

Gordonsmith you might want to look at the 103 visa - it costs a few thousand dollars to register and a similar amount when you get to the top of the waiting list but nothing more. Only drawback is the waiting list of approximately ten years. This visa was withdrawn earlier this year but I believe it was reinstated a couple of months ago - if it is still available and you are interested you'd need to get your skates on in case it is withdrawn again. Good luck!

'The justification is that they are no no longer going to be working and therefore not paying any tax and as such not contributing to the Australian government'

Can I just make a small objection here? I completely agree that, given the likely drag on social & health services, migrating parents will be expensive to maintain, and I think its absolutely fair the Australia charges what at first sight appears to be an astronomical fee - it really isn't that much when you consider the possible expense to the Aus govt and we're lucky to have the option. But please don't say that migrating parents wont be contributing anything. As far as I'm aware there is no upper age limit on payment of income tax and I'm quite sure we would be taxed just as any other adult - plus of course we would be contributing to the economy as consumers - not to mention as free babysitters. A smaller contribution perhaps, but not nothing.

Gordonsmith you might want to look at the 103 visa - it costs a few thousand dollars to register and a similar amount when you get to the top of the waiting list but nothing more. Only drawback is the waiting list of approximately ten years. This visa was withdrawn earlier this year but I believe it was reinstated a couple of months ago - if it is still available and you are interested you'd need to get your skates on in case it is withdrawn again. Good luck!

Based on current planning levels, applicants for a Parent (non-contributory) 103 visa can expect an approximate 30 year wait before visa grant consideration after being allocated a queue date. Not really a viable option for 60+ year old parents.

http://www.immi.gov.au/migrants/family/parent-visa-processing-priorities.htm Parent visa queue

When you say your parents are in their 60s how old are they exactly? If one of them is over 65 they may be eligible to apply onshore for the Aged Parent visa 804. They will then be given a bridging visa to stay here until their visa is granted several years down the line - not sure how long the onshore version is taking, I have heard 8 years mentioned. Again this is likely to be scrapped soon along with the 103 so they would need to do it very quickly. it does have it's disadvantages in that they will only be entitled to limited Medicare under the reciprocal agreement and they will need to pass a medical before their visa is granted, which could be problematic if they fail it.

It might be advisable to take some advice from an agent such as Alan Collett on the best way to proceed with this visa as they would need to ensure that they don't incur a 'No further Stay' condition on their visitor visa.

Can I add I am with Fisher1 on this. Us parents do actually contribute to the Australian economy by buying property, using our private pension money to invest in an Australian Super, and by spending our hard earned state pensions and other income in Australia. Not to mention the support we give our families, the least of which is free childcare so they can go out and contribute to the economy by doing their jobs.

Ozmaniac I bow to your greater knowledge - I just wanted to point out all the available options. When we put our names on the 103 visa list two years ago we were told ten to fifteen years but I notice from the queue calculator that people with a queue date of 2008 are now on the verge of being processed - clearly things have changed - then again, what can change once can change again.

Having already been granted our CPV 143, we have (God willing) every intention of finding jobs once we arrive and therefore will pay tax. We also have every intention of living long enough to be able to claim the Australian pension once we have been there for 10 years. Thats the plan anyway - just need somebody to buy our house!

Good luck! Val

Can I add I am with Fisher1 on this. Us parents do actually contribute to the Australian economy by buying property, using our private pension money to invest in an Australian Super, and by spending our hard earned state pensions and other income in Australia. Not to mention the support we give our families, the least of which is free childcare so they can go out and contribute to the economy by doing their jobs.

I don't think anyone would dispute that you'll contribute your share after you arrive, but nothing can change the fact that an Australian resident contributes 30 or 40 years' worth of tax and spending before he/she reaches old age and starts to cost more in terms of medical and aged care. You can't possibly make up for that, so that's what the fee is for.

Having already been granted our CPV 143, we have (God willing) every intention of finding jobs once we arrive and therefore will pay tax. We also have every intention of living long enough to be able to claim the Australian pension once we have been there for 10 years. Thats the plan anyway - just need somebody to buy our house!

Good luck! Val

One thing to check is that at one point, those 10 years had to be before you reach the legal retirement age. I just looked on the Centrelink website and can't find it, so maybe it's changed - it would be worth confirming if you're close to the retirement age. Also be aware that Australia will require you to apply for and get your British pension first, then reduce your Aussie pension accordingly (the aussie pensions is means-tested).

I don't think anyone would dispute that you'll contribute your share after you arrive, but nothing can change the fact that an Australian resident contributes 30 or 40 years' worth of tax and spending before he/she reaches old age and starts to cost more in terms of medical and aged care. You can't possibly make up for that, so that's what the fee is for.

And can I just add to this that most of us (well all the Aussies I know) don't then draw on the tax payer for a pension or for aged residential care facilities. We provide for ourselves through super etc.

I accept people want to come and live with their children but my blood runs cold when they talk about 'claiming' pensions etc as if a few years paying tax (if that) entitles them to living off the state. Sorry if this offends but it's one of the things that really pushes my buttons.

The total budget would be significantly more than AUD$50k each, but is not bad value for money when the benefits are considered.

It can be noted that as a rule parents do not depreciate as fast as new Range Rovers that cost about the same.

And can I just add to this that most of us (well all the Aussies I know) don't then draw on the tax payer for a pension or for aged residential care facilities. We provide for ourselves through super etc.

I accept people want to come and live with their children but my blood runs cold when they talk about 'claiming' pensions etc as if a few years paying tax (if that) entitles them to living off the state. Sorry if this offends but it's one of the things that really pushes my buttons.

I agree.

Also saying you are doing a service by providing free childcare is not a service to anyone other than your own children. Childcare businesses , Nannys etc need income.

'I don't think anyone would dispute that you'll contribute your share after you arrive, but nothing can change the fact that an Australian resident contributes 30 or 40 years' worth of tax and spending before he/she reaches old age and starts to cost more in terms of medical and aged care. You can't possibly make up for that, so that's what the fee is for.''

You are correct in what you say Marisawright. However, nobody was disputing what you have said, and in my earlier post I wrote something similar to this. Bridgeman's comment followed on from my comment that it isn't correct or very fair to claim we will contribute nothing as migrating parents. And it isn't.

'And can I just add to this that most of us (well all the Aussies I know) don't then draw on the tax payer for a pension or for aged residential care facilities. We provide for ourselves through super etc. I accept people want to come and live with their children but my blood runs cold when they talk about 'claiming' pensions etc as if a few years paying tax (if that) entitles them to living off the state. Sorry if this offends but it's one of the things that really pushes my buttons.'

Come come Freckleface, I think most people with a modicum of intelligence realize that 'living off the state' is not quite that easy and 'claiming' pensions to which you have no entitlement is even less easy. Even in the UK - where many people seem to think benefits are handed out willy nilly regardless of need or entitlement, - it just isn't that easy because no country could handle the cost. In any case, I think the sort of parents who are determined enough to battle their way through all the red tape and endless waiting that it takes to get to Australia in the first place, are a very different breed from the sort of sponging parasites you seem to have in mind.

I'm quite sure that Vava, knowing her other posts, simply meant that she would claim anything to which she was entitled after working for ten years. You do gain entitlement eventually you know, wherever you live - otherwise you would be a perpetual migrant and never a full citizen.

I cant speak for the Australian system but I know European system pays a pro rata amount of the full entitlement after a minimum ten years payments. Given the Aussie govt's very thorough method of (quite rightly!!!) boxing off every possible avenue via which a parent migrant might conceivably cost them any money, I very much doubt that ageing parents are going to be able to access anything which they have not earned.

A last thought - people migrate to Australia to work, and arrive as adults who have been fully trained in their field elsewhere. So it could be argued that a massive contribution has already been made by the parents of said migrant - which I'm sure is the reason behind the Australian government's generous attitude.

'And can I just add to this that most of us (well all the Aussies I know) don't then draw on the tax payer for a pension or for aged residential care facilities. We provide for ourselves through super etc. I accept people want to come and live with their children but my blood runs cold when they talk about 'claiming' pensions etc as if a few years paying tax (if that) entitles them to living off the state. Sorry if this offends but it's one of the things that really pushes my buttons.'

Come come Freckleface, I think most people with a modicum of intelligence realize that 'living off the state' is not quite that easy and 'claiming' pensions to which you have no entitlement is even less easy. Even in the UK - where many people seem to think benefits are handed out willy nilly regardless of need or entitlement, - it just isn't that easy because no country could handle the cost. In any case, I think the sort of parents who are determined enough to battle their way through all the red tape and endless waiting that it takes to get to Australia in the first place, are a very different breed from the sort of sponging parasites you seem to have in mind.

I'm quite sure that Vava, knowing her other posts, simply meant that she would claim anything to which she was entitled after working for ten years. You do gain entitlement eventually you know, wherever you live - otherwise you would be a perpetual migrant and never a full citizen.

I cant speak for the Australian system but I know European system pays a pro rata amount of the full entitlement after a minimum ten years payments. Given the Aussie govt's very thorough method of (quite rightly!!!) boxing off every possible avenue via which a parent migrant might conceivably cost them any money, I very much doubt that ageing parents are going to be able to access anything which they have not earned.

A last thought - people migrate to Australia to work, and arrive as adults who have been fully trained in their field elsewhere. So it could be argued that a massive contribution has already been made by the parents of said migrant - which I'm sure is the reason behind the Australian government's generous attitude.

Hi there Fisher!

Opened a can of worms writing the word "claiming" didn't I? You know what I meant and after the day I've had at the local hospital for an investigation on a lump, a pension claimed, earned or otherwise is the last thing on my mind. I think I'll stick to the usual thread in future but thank you for your kind words in your last post. I won't click on another Twitter post again - promise!

Thanks again, Val

Can we please get back to the original topic of this thread which was about what visas may be available for the OP's parents. If you have nothing to say on that subject but want to explore the topic of the contributions or otherwise of parents to Australia, please start a new thread in Chewing the Fat.

Archived