Do you get sick less often in Oz?

spangley

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Yes; I've been diagnosed with joint hypermobility syndrome since living in the UK and some days I feel like my GP Surgery is my second home lol yet in Australia I rarely got ill and if I did it was usually a cold that went after taking some natural remedies and resting.

The only time I can remember being ill there (other than having the operation to put metal plates in my lower jaw as part of orthodontic work) was when I got tendinitis in my ankle...even then that was only because I'd been walking too much next to the Broken Creek in unsupported shoes lol. I had a bone scan and they confirmed it there and then. I had 6 weeks on crutches whilst it repaired itself and then I was fine.

I'm a firm believer overall that the weather/climate and lifestyle in Australia played a big part in keeping me healthy; the UK is too cold and wet and miserable most of the time :( xx

Edited by elzawelza

I never had flu in the UK just the odd cold and it's the same here - never had flu and a cold maybe every couple of years. Never had gastro either. One thing I did notice when I first arrived in Australia (nearly 34 years ago) was the number of folk with those inhaler things for asthma. I had never seen anyone use those in the UK.

Been thinking about this one. If it was purely down to the temperature then surely everyone's experience would be the same? Maybe there are other factors here worth considering. I don't know everybody's circumstances but it seems that many of those heading back to Uk as things haven't worked out - well they seem to suffer more illness in Oz. But those who seem to have quite happy lives in Oz feel they got more colds etc back in the UK. Could there be an argument that if someone's unhappy with life in Oz , maybe work or life causes them to feel more stressed/ depressed - this in turn reduces your immune response. Those whose quality of life improved with the move down under are happier / more positive/ less stressed and thus healthier. Just a theory!

Interesting theory B4T and can see why this may happen - not in my case though, I was unhappy in OZ and really low - but physically I was fit as a fiddle and so were all my family, and the Sun did us a world of good.

Were home now and in much better shape again, but had the usual winter bugs etc but strangely seem to have been shaken of quicker than ever before this year.

Been thinking about this one. If it was purely down to the temperature then surely everyone's experience would be the same? Maybe there are other factors here worth considering. I don't know everybody's circumstances but it seems that many of those heading back to Uk as things haven't worked out - well they seem to suffer more illness in Oz. But those who seem to have quite happy lives in Oz feel they got more colds etc back in the UK. Could there be an argument that if someone's unhappy with life in Oz , maybe work or life causes them to feel more stressed/ depressed - this in turn reduces your immune response. Those whose quality of life improved with the move down under are happier / more positive/ less stressed and thus healthier. Just a theory!

I think there's a lot in this. Happy people are more resilient.

I think also that temperature is less relevant than damp. I have a theory that high levels of rainfall - and perhaps humidity - are highly deleterious of health. If you look, for example, at countries with high prevalence f heart disease, their one common factor is high rainfall. Yet in the Mediterranean, where people drink, smoke and don't exercise, heart disease prevalence is very low. Just out of curiosity, I did an exercise to map a regression curve on premature mortality from heart disease in each state in the US against the rainfall in the state capital. Found a high level of correlation (using Spearman's Rank Correlation Coefficient in case anyone is interested).

I think there's a lot in this. Happy people are more resilient.

I think also that temperature is less relevant than damp. I have a theory that high levels of rainfall - and perhaps humidity - are highly deleterious of health. If you look, for example, at countries with high prevalence f heart disease, their one common factor is high rainfall. Yet in the Mediterranean, where people drink, smoke and don't exercise, heart disease prevalence is very low. Just out of curiosity, I did an exercise to map a regression curve on premature mortality from heart disease in each state in the US against the rainfall in the state capital. Found a high level of correlation (using Spearman's Rank Correlation Coefficient in case anyone is interested).

I can't comment about your theory reference heart disease, but I lived in Borneo for almost 10 years, very hot, wet with high humidity, and never ever had a cold, or cough, so the high humidity had no effect on me or anyone else I knew to be honest.

haven't lived in UK for so long I can't compare, but again after 12 years in QLD have only had 1 cold, + 1 chest infection, so probably your own immune system determines how often you get ill anywhere? + if you have children or work in an office etc, perhaps you are more exposed to bugs anywhere you live?

Edited by ramot

• 3 weeks later...

The reason colds a flu are around in the winter months is because they are caused by viruses. Viruses thrive in the cold. Bacteria and fungi don't they like the warm, but they don't cause colds or flu.

Then of course personal immunity is an issue. children and those in close contact with children are going to be at higher risk of catching viruses.

My neices and nephews are the same ages as my kids and are also in childcare in the southern hemisphere. They get sick way less. Usually 1 or 2 fluey things each winter. They have had their 1st gastro aged 2 and 5. My kids are generally ill from Nov to march with one thing or another and I've lost count of the number of times they've had gastro....our UK friends kids are as all the same.

Edited by Apnea21

I think also that temperature is less relevant than damp. I have a theory that high levels of rainfall - and perhaps humidity - are highly deleterious of health.

I remember my old boss saying that when he did his National Service in the Scottish Highlands, he didn't have a single cough, cold or chest infection. It was very very cold, very deep snow with 9ft drifts and they spent all day outside clearing it. But it was very dry.

He moved back down to damp wet England and was back to the coughing and spluttering immediately.

I used to get about 5 colds a year, constantly getting on and off trains and buses to buildings, warm to cold to warm, germs everywhere.

In Canberra I haven't had a day's illness in 3 years, it gets a bit nippy in winter but it's very dry. I can't remember the feeling of getting a cold.