What's the logic?

hookturn

Are the majority of unemployed skilled workers tho?

36% is the last stat for Brit ex pats leaving. It is expected to go over 50% in the coming year.

There are plenty of skilled workers unemployed - the immigration lists should never be regarded as actual job availability. My own occupation is still available (even though our proffessional body has begged for its remova) and we have a 40% unemployment rate.

36% is the last stat for Brit ex pats leaving. It is expected to go over 50% in the coming year.

There are plenty of skilled workers unemployed - the immigration lists should never be regarded as actual job availability. My own occupation is still available (even though our proffessional body has begged for its remova) and we have a 40% unemployment rate.

What is the source you are using for the stat and projection?

There are a lot of skilled workers in the LNG construction game working on 6 large projects around Australia at the moment employing somewhere around 20 to 30,000 people.

In about 2 to 3 years time, with no more big projects to take their place, there will be a lot of these workers chasing the few jobs remaining. With our current government in power, who actively encourage companies to engage foreign labour on lower rates of pay on these type of jobs, the future isn't bright. In my opinion the Australian standard of living will soon be on a slope matching the current direction of the A$.

Can only speak about Perth...but def a turndown happening.

as mentioned certain occupations still in demand, but if talking about what's on the wanted list as a whole, then no.

Personally if I was coming to Perth at the moment without a job, I would say get out there and network, talk to as many people as you can, not only recruiters or companies but the guy stood next to you in the restaurant/pub.

I see many posts saying I'm finding it hard to get work in my field, but then I know other people with the same skills, who within a week have work lined up.

The difference to me seems to be, they have befriended someone, who knows someone and got invited to the barbie, then chatted and said they were looking for work in xxxx field.

even for my own family 3 out of 5 of us got full time work that way.

as mentioned certain occupations still in demand, but if talking about what's on the wanted list as a whole, then no.

Personally if I was coming to Perth at the moment without a job, I would say get out there and network, talk to as many people as you can, not only recruiters or companies but the guy stood next to you in the restaurant/pub.

I see many posts saying I'm finding it hard to get work in my field, but then I know other people with the same skills, who within a week have work lined up.

The difference to me seems to be, they have befriended someone, who knows someone and got invited to the barbie, then chatted and said they were looking for work in xxxx field.

Much the same in the UK I find. My current job came through someone I know and am certain I would not have had a look in if just applying. My OH is the same. Recruiting is such a lottery for employers and massively time consuming even if you use expensive agencies so little wonder they plump for someone they know or someone who comes recommended from someone they know.

I agree a lot don't even seem to bother to advertise. They just ask current staff if they know of anyone.

where did you get the stats of brits returning to uk?

Meanwhile, in other news: More expat workers are coming home to Australia and staying for the jobs

THE gap between the number of workers who are leaving Australia for jobs and those returning to further their careers is widening — with more staff than ever choosing to come back to work on home soil.

http://www.news.com.au/finance/work/more-expat-workers-are-coming-home-to-australia-and-staying-for-the-jobs/story-fnkgbb3b-122716720514

Like Britain, Australia has chosen an economic model which is hollowing out the nation. Its manufacturing has all but collapsed and it relies solely on exporting minerals and metals, which is now a totally irresponsible 50% of its entire economy. Much of this goes to China, which is now deliberately slowing its economy so it doesn't overheat. The result will be a major shock in Australia, but it was all totally predictable, if that is any consolation. On the upside, the Australians are much better at running an immigration than anyone else so there should be a response to this in good time,

Archived