How often do you visit back to uk?

jimmyay1

Before I get me head bit off I've read from start to finish on this thread and find it strange that there's a lot of people who don't want to go back to the UK and don't get much enjoyment being there but spend a lot of time on an expat website..!!!! #justsaying

Maybe they enjoy the company of similarly minded expats?

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I come on here to maybe, just maybe, help others to get some knowledge for when they migrate- nothing to do with going back to the UK at all though it is nice to 'keep in touch' albeit from a distance. Same as I like to hear about places like Africa or India- but I don't want to go there, either.

I think you missed my point!

I was simply stating the assumptions people might make regarding people who don't visit (to which you seem to have taken offence), just like your assumptions regarding people who do!

As I said, its a personal thing, and trying to pigeon hole people (either way) is pointless. Sorry if I upset you, that wasn't my intention!

Before I get me head bit off I've read from start to finish on this thread and find it strange that there's a lot of people who don't want to go back to the UK and don't get much enjoyment being there but spend a lot of time on an expat website..!!!! #justsaying

I don't think there's a correlation between spending time on PIO and liking/disliking the UK. I agree with Harpodom in that to pigeonhole people as one thing or another is unhelpful. The individual will have their reasons as to why or why not they do or do not have a desire to spend time over there. Those reasons will be as individual as the person is and will often have little to do with how 'settled' or 'unsettled' they are and more to do with individual circumstances.

I find the need to pigeonhole and label people on this forum baffling tbh. The second you mention 'missing' something or voice a negative take on anything Aussie you're 'unsettled' and 'unhappy'....if you are overly positive about the Australian experience you're 'foolish'..'wearing rose-tints'....you can't win. Just enjoy your life and do whatever suits YOU as an individual. No need to justify yourself to anyone.

Edited by HappyHeart

Guest Guest 47403

An expat website is for expats which bit are you struggling with Paul perhaps we can help and explain it.

I don't think there's a correlation between spending time on PIO and liking/disliking the UK. I agree with Harpodom in that to pigeonhole people as one thing or another is unhelpful. The individual will have their reasons as to why or why not they do or do not have a desire to spend time over there. Those reasons will be as individual as the person is and will often have little to do with how 'settled' or 'unsettled' they are and more to do with individual circumstances.

I find the need to pigeonhole and label people on this forum baffling tbh. The second you mention 'missing' something or voice a negative take on anything Aussie you're 'unsettled' and 'unhappy'....if you are overly positive about the Australian experience you're 'foolish'..'wearing rose-tints'....you can't win. Just enjoy your life and do whatever suits YOU as an individual. No need to justify yourself to anyone.

Great post HH. Well said. It will go on happening though unfortunately. Some on both sides just have their agenda and cannot see past that. :sad:

An expat website is for expats which bit are you struggling with Paul perhaps we can help and explain it.

The bit I'm struggling with is people leave the UK ( never want to return and all that ) and then spend everyday talking about it or subjects related to it with other british people on a expat website. Very strange ..

To add to his I feel about this site, in my opinion only a few types of people should be using this site

1. People moving over

2. People unhappy a want a moan

3. People returning to the UK

its beyond me why anyone who claims to have a wonderful fulfilling lifestyle would bother wasting any time on here bleating on about how good their life's are, it sounds harsh and I understand people are trying to help others but my brain doesn't belive that they are happy. Get on with it if it's that bloody good

Just my opinion

To add to his I feel about this site, in my opinion only a few types of people should be using this site

1. People moving over

its beyond me why anyone who claims to have a wonderful fulfilling lifestyle would bother wasting any time on here bleating on about how good their life's are, it sounds harsh and I understand people are trying to help others but my brain doesn't belive that they are happy. Get on with it if it's that bloody good

Just my opinion

So would you be including the people in the UK who say how much better their life is than Australia and have no intention of moving back? Just asking

So would you be including the people in the UK who say how much better their life is than Australia and have no intention of moving back? Just asking

Yes, I was on this site 3.5 years before I left for Australia and never posted once, 6 months after landing I started to post because I was am stil am unhappy here, I have a date when I'm going home and bet my life as soon as I've dropped back into UK life I'll be gone. I just think you have to move on and not beat the drum how Good it is... Who you trying to convince.....?

Well I think some people would agree with me that it doesn't really matter what the persons situation is. As long as they aren't deliberately on the wind up then this site seems to be for anybody who wants to participate. Some people want to help others even if they aren't moving. Others have made friends with members and enjoy chatting to them.

Yes, I was on this site 3.5 years before I left for Australia and never posted once, 6 months after landing I started to post because I was am stil am unhappy here, I have a date when I'm going home and bet my life as soon as I've dropped back into UK life I'll be gone. I just think you have to move on and not beat the drum how Good it is... Who you trying to convince.....?

You could start a new site 'Whinging Poms in Oz'. It could be one long whinge-fest left only to those who were unhappy or planning to return to the UK. For those thinking of emigrating coming on the site the only advice would be "don't come" lol.

You could start a new site 'Whinging Poms in Oz'. It could be one long whinge-fest left only to those who were unhappy or planning to return to the UK. For those thinking of emigrating coming on the site the only advice would be "don't come" lol.

The amount of moaning you do your fit in well then. Your user name says it all to me

1. People moving over

Just my opinion

If PIO was limited to those three categories, then most people in category '1' would be discouraged from coming to Australia because of all the nasty information from categories '2 and 3?'

If you want to go back to the UK for a holiday, whether that holiday lasts a week or a lifetime, go for it. If you can afford to go every year, twice a year, thrice a year, whatever, and you can put up with the flight, go for that too.

And if you are so happy in OZ, that you don't ever want to go back, well that is cool too.

The amount of moaning you do your fit in well then. Your user name says it all to me

I think that's pretty harsh on @Gbye grey sky. I'm not on this forum all the time, but from what I've seen, he comes across as a pretty positive and very well balanced poster.

Currently looking out of the window and it's dark at 16:13. Maybe gbye darkness would be more appropriate?!

Edited by vickyplum

I think that's pretty harsh on @Gbye grey sky. I'm not on this forum all the time, but from what I've seen, he comes across as a pretty positive and very well balanced poster.

Currently looking out of the window and it's dark at 16:13. Maybe gbye darkness would be more appropriate?!

I wasn't concerned tbh @vickyplum. The poster is really not where he wants to be atm and on that basis the positive posts about Oz probably grate. It appears though that he may be heading home if I have read a previous post on this thread correctly so hopefully that will improve his state of mind.

I understand why some people who would rather not spend their holidays in the UK.The same reason I don't like spending my precious holiday time in Australia.After being in Oz for 30 yrs,the only reason I go back is to see family.Now Mum has passed away,atleast I have a good excuse not to go anymore.When you spend holidays visiting family,you feel obligated to spend time with them.We're very spontaneous on our holidays and to feel dictated to by family to be with them,or be back at their place for dinner or whatever feels quite controlled to me.We're used to doing stuff when we want to do it.Afterall isn't that what holidays are for?Otherwise you'd just as well be at work right?

For us there are too many other places we'd rather go on holiday,but I think I do understand how some people feel,but its in reverse for us lol

I love going home and wish I could afford to go back every year but it isn't a holiday as such and I do wish my sisters would consider visiting me here but they can't be bothered to. Have a friend staying at the moment and she is having a fabulous time. With the high cost of travel and lamentable annual leave allocation, it's easy to not have any proper annual holiday here. Family trips home cost around $20k and sadly don't have that spare very often. Did go back last year though on my own and that was fantastic!