How often do you visit back to uk?

jimmyay1

Been here 12 years and only been back once due to financial and personal reasons. Would have given anything to go back more and really envious of expats who can afford to do so. And get really annoyed with the ones who go back every year or two then come back and whinge about how awful and dull life is there - that says more to me about the expat themselves than anything else :wink:

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yep and there's nothing like getting jumped all over for expressing an observation. Sick of feeling bullied quite frankly. Had enough.

Sometimes QSS what we post doesn't come across quite as we meant, and there are some sad posters who revel in nit picking who you just have to ignore.

I have so wanted to respond and react occasionally, but decide it's just not worth getting upset about, otherwise you just get sucked in, where as if you ignore it, you come out on top.

Sometimes QSS what we post doesn't come across quite as we meant, and there are some sad posters who revel in nit picking who you just have to ignore.

I have so wanted to respond and react occasionally, but decide it's just not worth getting upset about, otherwise you just get sucked in, where as if you ignore it, you come out on top.

completely agree

I understand why some people who would rather not spend their holidays in the UK.The same reason I don't like spending my precious holiday time in Australia.After being in Oz for 30 yrs,the only reason I go back is to see family.Now Mum has passed away,atleast I have a good excuse not to go anymore.When you spend holidays visiting family,you feel obligated to spend time with them.We're very spontaneous on our holidays and to feel dictated to by family to be with them,or be back at their place for dinner or whatever feels quite controlled to me.We're used to doing stuff when we want to do it.Afterall isn't that what holidays are for?Otherwise you'd just as well be at work right?

For us there are too many other places we'd rather go on holiday,but I think I do understand how some people feel,but its in reverse for us lol

What you describe here Melza is how it used to be for us, but we now tell people back home what our itinerary is so generally they have to conform to our criteria. We nearly always have other holidays tagged on/in to our UK trip, with some being spontaneous but more on the where the when is already logged in, they all have plenty of notice of our plans so they can join in if they wish.

PS Melza we will be in Wiltshire next May/June for #1 son's wedding so hope the weather is good then.

Usually it comes across exactly as it was meant.

If you want to go back to the UK for a holiday, whether that holiday lasts a week or a lifetime, go for it. If you can afford to go every year, twice a year, thrice a year, whatever, and you can put up with the flight, go for that too.

And if you are so happy in OZ, that you don't ever want to go back, well that is cool too.

It really is that simple. People judge and analyse other peoples decisions and motives far too much. Stickybeaks. Makes you wonder what's going on in their heads/lives to make them obsess over others so much...get on with your own lives and never mind anyone elses...

Guest Guest 47403
The bit I'm struggling with is people leave the UK ( never want to return and all that ) and then spend everyday talking about it or subjects related to it with other british people on a expat website. Very strange ..

Paul the name of the website must be lost on you the POMS IN OZ.......

12 months... 100%

So you are committed to at least another year in OZ, which means you've probably been here for at least a year already? The Australian Government used to make '10 Pound Poms' stay for two years before they could go home without repaying their fare. Did you know that about half of that number - which actually made up about 1/4 of the '10 Pound Poms', ended up returning to OZ - for good! Based upon those numbers, there's a 50 per cent chance you will regret your decision to go 'home!' (You would not be the first to post that sentiment on PIO either!)

So you are committed to at least another year in OZ, which means you've probably been here for at least a year already? The Australian Government used to make '10 Pound Poms' stay for two years before they could go home without repaying their fare. Did you know that about half of that number - which actually made up about 1/4 of the '10 Pound Poms', ended up returning to OZ - for good! Based upon those numbers, there's a 50 per cent chance you will regret your decision to go 'home!' (You would not be the first to post that sentiment on PIO either!)

Your showing off now MARYROSE02, fractions and percentages:wink:

It really is that simple. People judge and analyse other peoples decisions and motives far too much. Stickybeaks. Makes you wonder what's going on in their heads/lives to make them obsess over others so much...get on with your own lives and never mind anyone elses...

I've done both of my categories - made frequent trips back to the UK between 1983 and 1995, whilst my parents made similar trips the other way, and then in 1996, I went back to The New Forest for twelve years, including a six-year stint without a trip to OZ to see my brother. Now, I've been in Sydney again for six years, without having been back to the UK, partly because I've no reason to go, and partly because I don't like flying.

There's nothing wrong if you can't settle in Australia, and nothing wrong with going 'home' but it's a subjective, personal decision. Most migrants, Pommie or others, settle well in Australia - about 75 per cent in the case of the 'Ten Pound Poms.' (And it was much harder for them remember. Most came by ship, rather than plane, so that was the only way home, and there were no emails, no internet, no Skype, no satellite TV to watch all your favourite Pommie programmes. Even when I first came here in 1978, I used to go down to the main GPO in Sydney to book a call to my parents. I did not have a home phone, and I probably reversed the charges as you could call ISD even from public phones.)

I've had my own 'ups and downs' hence going 'home' for a dozen years, but I always intended to live in Sydney again. Now, I just 'live' here, like most of us, we have all gone 'native' if you like, morphed into 'Aussies' with funny accents.

Well I'm coming up to 6 years in Perth. I've never really considered if I 'fit in' or not it just seemed to be a very seamless transition to life here that felt and still does feel very natural and 'normal'. We just got on with tjings, built a life carried on 'living'...I know uts a cliche but I never say never because although this fits right now and is what we want who knows how we will feel and what circumstances will be in the future. I feel 'at home' here but equally 'at home' back there which I think is great and feel lucky to truly have the best if both worlds. God bless Australia and God bless England. You don't have to put yourself into a box for others convenience. If I had financial freedom I reckon we would return every 2 to 3 years and see a whole lot more of UK and Europe at the same time.

Been back twice in six and a half years, but both just for funerals. Didn't have any time or the inclination on either trip to do any of the things I would like to do. At the moment, we won't travel international together as we don't want to leave the dog in a kennel.

However, given my struggling work situation, I have been applying for roles back in the UK (as well as a lot of other countries) we may be off for a very long holiday back.

Been back twice in six and a half years, but both just for funerals. Didn't have any time or the inclination on either trip to do any of the things I would like to do. At the moment, we won't travel international together as we don't want to leave the dog in a kennel.

However, given my struggling work situation, I have been applying for roles back in the UK (as well as a lot of other countries) we may be off for a very long holiday back.

What are you doing for work now VERYSTORMY?

Most recently I have been off siding on an RC rig, for a couple of swings, but this resulted in some injuries - torn cartilage of the ribs (everyone warned me, but I needed the cash). I have a week or two work as a geo from tomorrow. But, only paying close to min wage.

Most recently I have been off siding on an RC rig, for a couple of swings, but this resulted in some injuries - torn cartilage of the ribs (everyone warned me, but I needed the cash). I have a week or two work as a geo from tomorrow. But, only paying close to min wage.

How did you manage to injure yourself like that?! I hope your ok now

Been back three times in 36 years. It took me 16 years the first time after the death of my mother in australia. Pity she only got to go home in an urn. Then another 16 years to get back again. I've since been back 4 years ago and feel I really need to go back again. I really regret not going back more in the early years. I only got to see the older relatives the one time and even today I still feel quite guilty about this. It's strange but I do feel it's the obligation of the ones who have moved to make the effort to keep in touch.

Paul the name of the website must be lost on you the POMS IN OZ.......

Just to clear the confusion, many people on here spend thousands of pounds escaping the UK leaving behind the society they don't like and the weather. You then move thousands of miles away to a new land and spend a large amount of time talking about and talking too the very people/society / country you tried so hard to escape on an expat forum..

But I'm not a ten pound pom..?

Just to clear the confusion, many people on here spend thousands of pounds escaping the UK leaving behind the society they don't like and the weather. You then move thousands of miles away to a new land and spend a large amount of time talking about and talking too the very people/society / country you tried so hard to escape on an expat forum..

So why are you here Paul??:wubclub:

Guest Guest 47403

So why do you want to go back so badly if that's how you felt about the UK?

That's what I was going to point out yesterday. I didn't understand his point at all tbh. I could understand if he meant people staying out the MBTTUK part but I don't think that's what he meant

Why do people who so desperately want to leave a country then spend time talking about the very country they wanted to leave on an expat forum in a new country...? #intergratingatitsfinest

So why do you want to go back so badly if that's how you felt about the UK?

I didn't, I had a good life.. Just felt like a change whilst I was still young.. I compare the two life's I have lived and feel the UK one was far more fuller than the australian one

I don't, I just hope that they leave or better still don't come in the first place. Most just don't fit in so why bother?

Archived