What Australian sayings are stuck in your head?

I found myself saying 'All Good' at work yesterday and last week I messaged @scottish Stacey 'Good on ya' and I wasn't being ironic!

And chickens will always be chooks, but that is more deliberate.

What have other returnees taken home with them?

Yes, I can add 'No worries' to my list too :)

I also say 'mad as a cut snake' and 'Buckley's Chance' but will add 'as they say in Australia' to the end so that's conscious - it's when they slip out without me realising it's un-nerving, I was there less than 5 years. I lived in London far longer but I don't think I absorbed the lingo.

I said arvo and no worries for a while.

I'll always remember, 'alright mate, how's it goin' alright?'

Arvo is equally used in Glasgow so I could be forgiven for that one!

I found myself saying 'All Good' at work yesterday and last week I messaged @scottish Stacey 'Good on ya' and I wasn't being ironic!

And chickens will always be chooks, but that is more deliberate.

What have other returnees taken home with them?

Your a right little Aussie, you'll be sending me messages on fb next saying g'day mate and inviting me for BBQ's. Embrace it :wubclub: :laugh:

Guest Guest 47403
Bludger.

Fabo

Haven't heard either those yet and I've managed 5 months longer than you, what do they mean?

Not a returnee but catch myself saying no worries a bit.

Bludger.

Fabo

Have lived in Australia for the 44 years since I was born here, and have never heard "Fabo". Is it pronounced "fay-bo"? If you mean "Fabbo", then I've heard it as a contraction for "fabulous", but it's not common, and I wouldn't have marked it as distinctly Australian.

A "bludger" is essentially a work-shy person. To narrow the definition, it is a person who is work-shy at the expense of somebody else, eg "dole bludger". It originated a hundred years or so ago in this second context, as another word for a pimp, though that usage is now lost.

N 'aye' after sentences

I had no idea this was an Australian thing - my partner says it a lot, even in emails which doesn't really work...

I have also started saying "righto", usually when someone gives bad news/tells me something I don't really want to respond to.

Best curse ever ......"may all your chooks turn to emus and kick your dunny door down"!

Yeah but, no but, hey.....(?)

Under the pump.....

When your OH is an Aussie, after 9 years it's hard not to use a few, even without meaning to lol

Archived