Where in Oz should I live and why??!

Lu1u

Hi everyone!

I'm just awaiting my Visa to move over to Oz with my other half. We're pretty easy going, outdoor/countryside kind of people... And we don't know where to head for!!

So far we've decided on the east rather than western australia.

Not in sydney.

Climate wise, I think we're looking at just North of Brisbane down to Canberra. But it doesn't have to be a city!

So where should we live?!

:laugh:

Thanks

Go where you want, but in Australia, the bulk of the population lives in or near to the capital cities, i.e. Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth and Adelaide, all huge, sprawling 'Gotham Cities', and if you want to live in a country area, you usually need specific skills, and you may find living in 'the bush' an isolating experience. It does not have to be, of course, and I would love to live in a country town. Tell a lie, there was a time when I would have loved it, but now I don't want to live anywhere else but Australia's 'Big Apple' i.e. Sydney.

In Britain, you can combine a rural and a town lifestyle, living in a village or small town, but near to a bigger city with all its facilities. In Australia, it is much harder to do so. I miss having The New Forest on my doorstep, Southampton 20 minutes drive, and London 2 hours away. If I got into my car now, at 8am, in Surry Hills, which is right in the middle of the city, it would take me an hour at least to get away from the city, and the traffic on weekends is often worse than during the weekly 'peak!'

Go where you can get a job, as I think the person above suggested!

I'm just awaiting my Visa to move over to Oz with my other half. We're pretty easy going, outdoor/countryside kind of people... And we don't know where to head for!!

So where should we live?!

As MaryRose points out, it's not as easy to live in the country in Australia, because the distances are so great. I'd recommend researching where you're likely to find work as a priority, unless you're retired? How about Coffs Harbour, Port Macquarie, Armidale if you don't mind the cold, Ballina?

Only one choice really, the most liveable city on earth (according to the OECD): Canberra.

Best schools, highest earnings, negligible crime and unemployment, best quality of life as well as the highest standard of living and you can be in the countryside bushwalking in 10 minutes or Sydney in 3 hours of very relaxed motoring. It has all the national museums, galleries, memorials and institutions and yet there's never a traffic jam* and you can generally get anywhere you need to go in about 30 minutes or less.

You can drive 60 minutes south to Cooma and then turn left and be at the coast in 90 minutes or turn right and be in the ski resorts within 60 minutes - consequently most of the shops stock both snowboards and surfboards.

Canberra also boasts the worlds quietest international airport (mainly because we're still awaiting an international flight, but we're an optimistic lot and so are sure we'll get something soon).

...and the alternatives?

Sydney: Hot, sticky, run-down, dirty and smelly with a murder every 3 days.

Melbourne: Foggy, wet and graffiti-strewn. It's main 'attraction' is a railway station.

Brisbane: Hotter and stickier with no discernible centre or soul. Floods a lot.

Adelaide: Lots of churches, great for religious types. Some nice beaches.

Perth: Yep, we're pretty sure it's still out there somewhere if only because of the regular reports of people being eaten by sharks.

Darwin: Hot, hot, hot, hot, hot and crocodiles.

Hobart: Might as well just move to Wales, same scenery and it's much cheaper.

Hope this helps :-)

*OK - when we had both Obama and the Queen visiting in successive weeks it got a bit busy but most people just pulled off the roads and carried on along the grass.

How about Newcastle / Lake Macquarie

There are plenty of more rural areas around but still with relatively easy access to Newcastle itself.

As a city, it's nothing like Sydney - much quieter, less rat race, but only two hours from Sydney for the big city fix.

The climate here is great too.

In Brisbane you can live a commutable distance to Brisbane city in country style horsey places like Samford Village or Brookfield amongst others. For example Samford Village is around a 10-15 minute scooter ride over the hill to Ferny Grove station and then 30 mins on the train to the city.

A lot of Australian cities are pretty low density though so you can live in the suburbs and still have a very quiet, leafy existence. The complaint is usually that they are too quiet, not too noisy.

Edited by fish.01

Only one choice really, the most liveable city on earth (according to the OECD): Canberra.

Best schools, highest earnings, negligible crime and unemployment, best quality of life as well as the highest standard of living and you can be in the countryside bushwalking in 10 minutes or Sydney in 3 hours of very relaxed motoring. It has all the national museums, galleries, memorials and institutions and yet there's never a traffic jam* and you can generally get anywhere you need to go in about 30 minutes or less.

You can drive 60 minutes south to Cooma and then turn left and be at the coast in 90 minutes or turn right and be in the ski resorts within 60 minutes - consequently most of the shops stock both snowboards and surfboards.

Canberra also boasts the worlds quietest international airport (mainly because we're still awaiting an international flight, but we're an optimistic lot and so are sure we'll get something soon).

...and the alternatives?

Sydney: Hot, sticky, run-down, dirty and smelly with a murder every 3 days.

Melbourne: Foggy, wet and graffiti-strewn. It's main 'attraction' is a railway station.

Brisbane: Hotter and stickier with no discernible centre or soul. Floods a lot.

Adelaide: Lots of churches, great for religious types. Some nice beaches.

Perth: Yep, we're pretty sure it's still out there somewhere if only because of the regular reports of people being eaten by sharks.

Darwin: Hot, hot, hot, hot, hot and crocodiles.

Hobart: Might as well just move to Wales, same scenery and it's much cheaper.

Hope this helps :-)

*OK - when we had both Obama and the Queen visiting in successive weeks it got a bit busy but most people just pulled off the roads and carried on along the grass.

Hey, we've had international flights! I think Ansett used to fly to NZ maybe once a month!

But yeah, you've put it in a nutshell!

OP - go where you can get a job!

Thanks guys, most of those replies are really helpful.

As starlight points out, it's a very big country and very diverse, which is why advise from people who actually live there is so helpful to us.

And, as I said, plenty of good advise here

Thank you very much :-)

Thanks guys, most of those replies are really helpful.

As starlight points out, it's a very big country and very diverse, which is why advise from people who actually live there is so helpful to us.

And, as I said, plenty of good advise here

Thank you very much :-)

The best advice is to really research (you've already started) - a lot and if possible spend some real time in the areas that you interested in.

Hi folks im new to all this myself and my 3 kids would love to move to Perth can you give me ideas of what we have to do snd what visa's to go for as i'm a single mum

The very first thing to do is check out whether you can even get a visa. You need to be in an occupation which is in demand in Australia and you have to pass a points test.

Assuming you are in the right job, the next important thing is to check your finances. You'll have air fares to pay, and you'll have to give up work a week or two before you leave, and then it will take time to find work when you arrive, so there's several weeks without pay. Also you'll have the cost of a few weeks in a hotel or serviced apartment while you look for a place to rent. If you want to bring furniture, toys and other belongings with you, you'll have to pay shipping costs: if you leave everything behind, you're going to have to buy new when you arrive. Cars here are very expensive and in most places, you can't survive without one, so that's another big expense. Most families will be out of pocket between $20,000 and $70,000 by the time they've got themselves settled.

So, can you afford that kind of money? If you can only get a temporary visa, will you be able to afford to pay the same again at the end of the visa?

If you've decided on the Eastern States I would be going for Sunshine Coast and if you are more country style and not bothered about the coast you could find lots of smaller nice villagey places inland. Nice climate, within easy reach of the Coast if you fancy a day down there, close to other places where you could drive in a few hours.

I know you had a post about Canberra that painted it in a good light and everywhere else as bad. For my part it's my least favourite place in Aus. I noticed the poster said you may as well move to Wales rather than Tasmania. Well you may as well move to Milton Keynes rather than Canberra. You would be a lot closer to other places too.

If you've decided on the Eastern States I would be going for Sunshine Coast and if you are more country style and not bothered about the coast you could find lots of smaller nice villagey places inland. Nice climate, within easy reach of the Coast if you fancy a day down there, close to other places where you could drive in a few hours.

I know you had a post about Canberra that painted it in a good light and everywhere else as bad. For my part it's my least favourite place in Aus. I noticed the poster said you may as well move to Wales rather than Tasmania. Well you may as well move to Milton Keynes rather than Canberra. You would be a lot closer to other places too.

Hmmm Canberra; the only city in Australia (apart from Alice Springs) that doesn't have coastline. Hugely expensive real estate, colder than Melbourne and Tassie in winter due to altitude and built for politicians. :)

Joking aside, every city in Australia has something to offer it just depends what your interests are and whether your profession is marketable in every city or biassed towards one in particular.

Good luck whatever you decide on :)

Hmmm Canberra; the only city in Australia (apart from Alice Springs) that doesn't have coastline. Hugely expensive real estate, colder than Melbourne and Tassie in winter due to altitude and built for politicians. :)

Not quite. Toowoomba, Ballarat, Bendigo, Albury, Launceston, Rockhampton, Wagga (and at least a dozen others) are all cities, all larger than Alice Springs and none are coastal. :wink:

Not quite. Toowoomba, Ballarat, Bendigo, Albury, Launceston, Rockhampton, Wagga (and at least a dozen others) are all cities, all larger than Alice Springs and none are coastal. :wink:

Are they really cities or towns ? I meant proper cities, y'know; with traffic jams, and electricity and stuff ;)

Are they really cities or towns ? I meant proper cities, y'know; with traffic jams, and electricity and stuff ;)

One of the worst traffic jams I've been in was in Toowoomba, when they were fixing up the one road in and out of town towards Brisbane. You are right though they are really towns and nowhere near the size of a decent City.

Guest EukiBear

Hi,

It is hard to say without knowing your job, interests,family dynamic etc.

You may find Orange worth looking at.

Small city, good facilities, minimal drive to Sydney 2.5- 3 hour drive, cool climate country lifestyle area.

Euki.