Who has or is going to oz with £10k or less

Guest mandisfam

Guest 1cessy1

Hi we came with 15 thousand. 3 kids and no jobs but we have managed very well,managed to get a rental and two cars. We shipped all our furniture over right down to knives and forks etc so saved a fortune there. Am sure you will be fine, it's the best move we have ever made. good luck!

• Replies 403
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hi we came with 15 thousand. 3 kids and no jobs but we have managed very well,managed to get a rental and two cars. We shipped all our furniture over right down to knives and forks etc so saved a fortune there. Am sure you will be fine, it's the best move we have ever made. good luck!

Hi, 1cessy1, just wanted to ask, have you managed to get jobs ok, we sound to be in the same position, ie., approx £15k, shipping furniture, 2 kids, I am really really worried about running out of money especially as its all our money and if It doesnt work out we will have nothing to come home with and couldnt afford to ship it all back. I have a job to go to but OH doesnt and we need both wages coming in. Glad your settled but would value your experience with this, you can PM me if you like.

Hi

I came with &3000 at the beginning of February on a one way ticket and don't know anyone here and am single. I am now down to my last $400 but luckily my visa arrived today and I start work on Tuesday!!!

I didn't anticipate the visa process to take so long and I was a bit crazy at the beginning with going out and stuff to try and meet people! My visa came just in the nick of time or otherwise I don't know what I would have done or even how I would have got back to the UK! Become an illegal immigrant probably!

Everything worked out in the end though but I was so lucky the visa arrived today, I'm over the moon!!!! It's stressful to not come with adequate funds and I wouldn't recommend it but at the same time, I never let the fear of money stop me from my dreams.

Lou

Guest reevesy

We'll probably be going with about £5k cash raised from selling my car and a few bangers that my husband likes to do up, plus other bits and bobs, and just a stash of personal items shipped air cargo to make things feel like home. We are only committing ourselves to a year at the moment and will then reassess. We are not selling our home here for that reason. My brother lives in Sydney (I'm dual nationality) and has offered us to stay until we find our own place, so the £5k is basically to cover deposits and initial living expenses until we get that first pay cheque and into a fully-furnished place of our own. All being well, we'll both have jobs to go to but it's not essential as we do have breathing space once there thanks to big bro. The only expense we're worried about is the whole car thing!! We will simply HAVE to get a car, even if it's just to share, as the whole point is that we want to explore and experience the country as well. We may even lease if we have to.

One great thing is that my dad has AUS$ stashed away in an Aus bank account and will likely offer a loan to us in order to avoid the bad exchange rate and get more bang for our buck, fingers crossed. Actually, it's precisely the reason why big bro is buying pounds at the moment as it's an "easy" investment for him!

• 1 month later...

Well, we are a family of 4 and me and the kids have aussie citizenship.

We are trying to budget for our move, but need to get out of this rut first.

We have been inspired by your stories, and hope that we can make it to on such a low budget.

Hopefully, my family will put us up upon arrival and i can secure work asap.

I couldnt care wot car i have to begin with, or foxtel etc!! We'll be out of the house more than In anyway!

If i have in oz, what i have now (no luxuries!) then i'll be happy, if i can do better then fanstatic!

Guest TheHollies
Well, we are a family of 4 and me and the kids have aussie citizenship.

We are trying to budget for our move, but need to get out of this rut first.

We have been inspired by your stories, and hope that we can make it to on such a low budget.

Hopefully, my family will put us up upon arrival and i can secure work asap.

I couldnt care wot car i have to begin with, or foxtel etc!! We'll be out of the house more than In anyway!

If i have in oz, what i have now (no luxuries!) then i'll be happy, if i can do better then fanstatic!

Here, Here! We wont have lots of £ to take with us (enough to get us set up) but we are determined to make it work!

Wishing you all lots of luck and happiness in Oz!! :jiggy:

i came over with just £10000 on my own, started work the morning after i got here and got a ute the first week, within the first month i'd got a rental, new 50 inch tv, washer, fridge, microwave, lounge suit, bed, and most the smaller stuff needed for a basic setup of a house, mind it was easier when the wife and kids came cause they came over with about £180k 3 months later :biglaugh:

but yes it can be done with just £10k if you're careful

Guest annemarie and brian

Hi, we are going out in sept with hopefully 5-10k and my hubby has no job but we could stay here and keep saving but still no better off but we are taking the plunge with 2 kids in tow and see what happens.

annemarie xx

p.s nice to hear others are in the same position makes me feel better.

Guest Stupendousman

We're planning to move over to Perth in Jan 2011 and will have the princely sum of around £20k, and that's without jobs to go to. We could stay in the UK for another couple of years saving but really want to move out there as soon as possible, after all we're not moving to be rich...at least not cash rich!

My wife's a nurse and I'm an accountant so hopefully jobs will be realtively easy to come by, especially for her...and if she gets a good paying job, then I'll have to take my time finding the perfect job while testing out a few of the golf courses...sounds like a plan! :wink:

To you all you are all mad or brave. I am going within the next 5 years (visa validated) with enough money to buy a house out right ($900,000) meadium house I know.To go with what most are saying is total stupidity in my mind. Make sure you have the funds for return tickets as 90% will need them. I could go tomorrow but exchange rate ,plus uk house prices just going back up in uk & the chance oz house bubble could implode in the next 2 years, you have to use your head not your heart as the leap is life changing.

Guest Hearne_Family
To you all you are all mad or brave. I am going within the next 5 years (visa validated) with enough money to buy a house out right ($900,000) meadium house I know.To go with what most are saying is total stupidity in my mind. Make sure you have the funds for return tickets as 90% will need them. I could go tomorrow but exchange rate ,plus uk house prices just going back up in uk & the chance oz house bubble could implode in the next 2 years, you have to use your head not your heart as the leap is life changing.

I have read and replied to a few of your posts in this thread but never before have you said that you are not here in Oz, I just wonder what gives you the experiance to comment on what people are taking with them? Have you lived here before? Before I get jumped on here Im not causing trouble but you seem very opinionated in this topic and I just assume that you must have lived here to know what its like?

Terry.

I have read and replied to a few of your posts in this thread but never before have you said that you are not here in Oz, I just wonder what gives you the experiance to comment on what people are taking with them? Have you lived here before? Before I get jumped on here Im not causing trouble but you seem very opinionated in this topic and I just assume that you must have lived here to know what its like?

Terry.

I have family there who have been through the thick of it plus the good side as well. They went over 9 years ago with £300,000 cash exchange rate roughly $2.50. House prices in oz low compared to now so I think trusting there advice to wait & have a lot of money when making the move. I only pass on the experience of others its totaly up to who ever reads how they act on it.

I only pass on the experience of others its totaly up to who ever reads how they act on it.

You don't you know. Regularly you refer to people that aren't in your position as stupid or mad.. how great it would be to arrive in Australia mortgage free - but that never is going to happen for many of us. Certainly you're unlikely to find support for your own situation in the moving with less than £10K thread. Maybe you should start your own?

You don't you know. Regularly you refer to people that aren't in your position as stupid or mad.. how great it would be to arrive in Australia mortgage free - but that never is going to happen for many of us. Certainly you're unlikely to find support for your own situation in the moving with less than £10K thread. Maybe you should start your own?

You used the word stupid I said brave but by the reaction of your reply you know who is right.

Sorry my misquote. Foolish was the word you used in an earlier post.. There is no right and wrong or absolute minimum requiremnent of funds for making the move. I think you just need to accept that not everyone is in your position and that doesn't exclude them from emigrating.

Guest Hearne_Family
I have family there who have been through the thick of it plus the good side as well. They went over 9 years ago with £300,000 cash exchange rate roughly $2.50. House prices in oz low compared to now so I think trusting there advice to wait & have a lot of money when making the move. I only pass on the experience of others its totaly up to who ever reads how they act on it.

Thats cool, thanks for clearing that up, good luck with your move when you make it, hope it all works out for you, $900,000 for a house puts you in a very fortunate position compared to many of us here. Just out of interest, if you didnt have the money or family out here would you still make the move?

Terry.

Here's what he wrote in an earlier post on the thread:

going with 10k is like walking down the fast lane of a motorway at night dressed in black you know there can be only one outcome. your all very brave or something but hey the odds are someone must win sometime. you could be the lucky one but i could only do it if i was single, gamble with my kids life zero

Thats cool, thanks for clearing that up, good luck with your move when you make it, hope it all works out for you, $900,000 for a house puts you in a very fortunate position compared to many of us here. Just out of interest, if you didnt have the money or family out here would you still make the move?

Terry.

on my own yes with family no

medium house for $900000 ...are u kiddin ? .....u can get a mansion for that price !! ....most people emmigrating ...will cut their cloth accordingly .....and a house of that value is not on most peoples budget [ever] .....u sound a bit smug in my opinion ...and just because some people dont have lots of money does not mean they wont succeed ...and having lots of money dont guarantee u will either !!!!

mrs keily

ps ..i presume u will only have that amount if ur house sells ...so u may have to eat ur words !!

I think Kirk and Co.s comments are designed to get a rise out of people, so wont be drawn in. Everyones circumstances are different. I moved to Perth 10 years ago, and myself and hubbie both had jobs within 8 days of arriving, you dont need 900,000 in your back pocket though it would be nice. Moving over and renting might be the most sensible thing, as the world real estate is unstable and housing in Oz is overpriced!!

What I am giving serious consideration to is, the exchange rate and the drop in house prices here. With the combination of both, this could clean us out and wipe what we have worked for, for the last 10 years. But that is only if we actually sell now and change money now.

Why I was interested in this post was if we dont sell and rent out, what would be a realistic costing of moving over and setting up. There is no set figure, as some have friends or family to stay with initially, some have jobs to go to others not, some the hubby has gone over initially to settle into job and setup home, but the info on this thread can be used as a guide or something to work from.

While I want to go yesterday, Im giving this careful consideration as Im now a mammy of 3. Alot different to when I just packed my backpack years ago.

Thanks guys, off to update my spreadsheet of cost of moving to oz including setup costs.

Best of luck everyone.

cheers caz

medium house for $900000 ...are u kiddin ? .....u can get a mansion for that price !! ....most people emmigrating ...will cut their cloth accordingly .....and a house of that value is not on most peoples budget [ever] .....u sound a bit smug in my opinion ...and just because some people dont have lots of money does not mean they wont succeed ...and having lots of money dont guarantee u will either !!!!

mrs keily

ps ..i presume u will only have that amount if ur house sells ...so u may have to eat ur words !!

Never presume that I need to sell the house but to answer your question it is no. It is called good old fashioned saving from a very early age & a bit of luck on the way.

Never presume that I need to sell the house but to answer your question it is no. It is called good old fashioned saving from a very early age & a bit of luck on the way.

so what u waitin for then ? ....can u not survive on that amount :SLEEP:

mrs keily

Just to add my bit... I came out here on my own, yes with a job secured and a $2 relocation allowance - had two weeks accomadation from work and 400 uk pounds in my back pocket... I have secured somewhere to live, and for the first two weeks lived off pasta... there is always something that will stop you doing it, I just know I had to go for it as the time was right... I have been here 3 weeks, and I am now ok for money, paid weekly.

Why dont yer start a thread on who has $900,000 thou or more kirk? there might still be some people on PIO who DONT know what your worth?:wink:

Archived