Who has or is going to oz with £10k or less

Guest mandisfam

Woah slow down everyone!!!!

We are coming out with about £100K. £70K of that is not going to be touched as it is "house money". I could do it on a shoestring because I can be really thrifty if I want to be, but we have chosen to buy a new 4x4 and to pay 6 months rent straight down when we arrive and if all goes to plan we should both have jobs to go to.

JOHN

Again, I wish people would read the title.

This thread is about "Who HAS or IS going to Oz with 10k or less."

Or did your finger linger too long on the zero button?

• Replies 403
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Hearne_Family
Hats off to you Terry, as you have made your journey a success story, no one can take what you have achieved away from you!

However, people do need to take in account the amount of money it takes to start off with!

It doesn't go very far with no secure job and income to back you up!

The list is endless in just the first few weeks in Australia,

People really need to weigh it all up before they embark on their journey,

You really need to be 100% sure that you can say goodbye to your comfortable life and secure jobs in the uk, and land with nothing except the money in your back pocket!

John

John,

I totally agree that people need to look into it 100% and not just float away in a dream but its not just people like me who have made it happen on a shoestring, there have been others with no work to come to make it work too. The OP asked a question and that question was answered by plenty of people as 'yes'.

Also what you have to remeber is that not everyone thinking of making the move here has a comfortable life with a secure job in the UK, not everyone ownes their own home either. For some the move to Oz (even with £10k or less) can be a step up from life in the UK.

I have never once tried to brainwash people into thinking moving to Oz is going to be a breeze, however, I try to post in relevant threads, I would not argue with people who say you need £100k+ for a move here, I would say we did it on $10k but I would never argue against someones experience.

People have different outlooks on life and different priorities, mine is securing a safe and secure future for my family. Houses and cars do not interest me, I have been there and done that and its not for me, I am happy with what I own. I do understand that some people could not imagine life without a nice house and a new car, that does not make either of us a better or wrong person, deep down we all want the same thing in life and that is to be sucessful and some show they are sucessful with possessions and some dont.

I just want people to see that you dont HAVE to have lots of money behind you to be sucessful in Oz, drive and determination will get you far, for every one of us on here saying yes to the OP's question there will be those saying no. None are right and none are wrong its all just advice!

Terry.

Well it is time to hold my hands up I have nothing not a penny to my name but there is no way I would put my family through a gamble like this. I have 5 years to save & I will untill the dream is acheivable. Sorry if I mislead anyone but I had to make you think.

You really are a strange character: http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/news-gossip-chat/27376-giving-up-one-man-business.html

Again, I wish people would read the title.

This thread is about "Who HAS or IS going to Oz with 10k or less."

Or did your finger linger too long on the zero button?

You obviously did not read the first part of my post wheree I was backing up the original poster!

"The post was asking "cant it be done?" Some on here have done it so yes it can be done.

Its all horses for courses and how much you are prepared to rough it. "

And to back up that its "horses for courses" I was saying that I can be frugal but we have chosen to bring out more.

I don't mean this nasty but its people like you that can cause arguments on here by misquoting.

JOHN

You obviously did not read the first part of my post wheree I was backing up the original poster!

"The post was asking "cant it be done?" Some on here have done it so yes it can be done.

Its all horses for courses and how much you are prepared to rough it. "

And to back up that its "horses for courses" I was saying that I can be frugal but we have chosen to bring out more.

I don't mean this nasty but its people like you that can cause arguments on here by misquoting.

JOHN

Of course it can be done, we done it ourselves.

Why do you think I am causing an argument?

I just couldn't see the point of you telling other people (who has or is coming out with just 10k) that you're coming out with 100k. Why do you feel is relevant?

You could have just said yes it can be done if people are prepared to cut back or "rough it out".

Of course it can be done, we done it ourselves.

Why do you think I am causing an argument?

I just couldn't see the point of you telling other people (who has or is coming out with just 10k) that you're coming out with 100k. Why do you feel is relevant?

You could have just said yes it can be done if people are prepared to cut back or "rough it out".

I do apologize first for butting in on some heated argument, But in all fairness, why should you rough it as you so put it, when you have children to think about! Most posters you read about on here are doing this to improve their childrens quality of life, how can you possibly do this if the answer you always give them is a big No! Because there is no spare cash in the kitty, so to speak, at the end of the day, they only have one childhood, and what right do we have to take that away from them, children do not fully understand the quality and value of money!!! So in all fairness if you are coming over with little money and no job and you do have young children, then it is wise to do more research, it doesn't hurt does it?

Guest Hearne_Family
I do apologize first for butting in on some heated argument, But in all fairness, why should you rough it as you so put it, when you have children to think about! Most posters you read about on here are doing this to improve their childrens quality of life, how can you possibly do this if the answer you always give them is a big No! Because there is no spare cash in the kitty, so to speak, at the end of the day, they only have one childhood, and what right do we have to take that away from them, children do not fully understand the quality and value of money!!! So in all fairness if you are coming over with little money and no job and you do have young children, then it is wise to do more research, it doesn't hurt does it?

Hi Dawny,

I dont think its fair to put an edge on this argument questioning peoples parenting, surely each parent knows whats best for their child?

Terry.

Hi Dawny,

I dont think its fair to put an edge on this argument questioning peoples parenting, surely each parent knows whats best for their child?

Terry.

Firstly Terry,

Where in my post exactly have i questioned other peoples parenting? Not sure what point you are trying to make, as all i see is you causing arguments! I think you like the bite back to be honest!!

I suggest you re read my post without adding your little comments in between the lines! Its an open forum of which i have posted my thoughts and feelings!

Maybe this is why a lot of forum member's think twice about posting for fear of having their heads bitten off!!!!

Guest Hearne_Family
Firstly Terry,

Where in my post exactly have i questioned other peoples parenting? Not sure what point you are trying to make, as all i see is you causing arguments! I think you like the bite back to be honest!!

I suggest you re read my post without adding your little comments in between the lines! Its an open forum of which i have posted my thoughts and feelings!

Maybe this is why a lot of forum member's think twice about posting for fear of having their heads bitten off!!!!

Easy Dawny,

I was mearly trying to take the thread away from anything seen as being personal. I made my comment based on the line "they only have one childhood, and what right do we have to take that away from them"

I am certainly not trying to cause arguments in fact Im trying the opposite as this is a great thread that I would hate to be closed.

Just to add I certainly did not bite your head off, sorry if I took things the wrong way but there is no need to accuse me of starting arguments.

Terry.

Easy Dawny,

I was mearly trying to take the thread away from anything seen as being personal. I made my comment based on the line "they only have one childhood, and what right do we have to take that away from them"

I am certainly not trying to cause arguments in fact Im trying the opposite as this is a great thread that I would hate to be closed.

Just to add I certainly did not bite your head off, sorry if I took things the wrong way but there is no need to accuse me of starting arguments.

Terry.

Apology accepted! i too wish not to cause an argument, but i was simply commenting on my children in my post, that it really doesn't hurt to step back as parents and put their feeling first! Something i wish we had done more at the beginning of our visa journey, :cute: Sorry i accused you of starting an argument!

I just think everyone has different views and we should all be here for one another for support during a very stressful time!

Dawn

Guest Hearne_Family
Apology accepted! i too wish not to cause an argument, but i was simply commenting on my children in my post, that it really doesn't hurt to step back as parents and put their feeling first! Something i wish we had done more at the beginning of our visa journey, :cute: Sorry i accused you of starting an argument!

I just think everyone has different views and we should all be here for one another for support during a very stressful time!

Dawn

Having explained that you were talking about your own children I can see the point in your post, I thought it was aimed at others. I guess that some people get caught up in the excitement and even the fear of the move that the kids kind of get (not that this is the phrase I want to say) forgotten in it all. I think that as parents we all hope and prey that we do the best for our children and I think that everyone on here would go back if their kids didnt settle.

Terry.

Having explained that you were talking about your own children I can see the point in your post, I thought it was aimed at others. I guess that some people get caught up in the excitement and even the fear of the move that the kids kind of get (not that this is the phrase I want to say) forgotten in it all. I think that as parents we all hope and prey that we do the best for our children and I think that everyone on here would go back if their kids didnt settle.

Terry.

No worries Terry,

Just pleased we sorted out the misunderstanding!

I think your right, we do tend to push the kids aside without meaning to, but at least we can if we need to, put it right and pick up the pieces!

All the best Dawn

Guest The Mandreks

Can we get back to the point of this post!, We are moving out soon (well as soon as I get my visa), We wont be taking alot of money but we're doing it to have a better life for us, our beautifull daughter and the other bub on the way.

I take my hat off to everyone who has made the move with money or not, its about the life not what you take.

Shane, Kerry and jessica

Well it is time to hold my hands up I have nothing not a penny to my name but there is no way I would put my family through a gamble like this. I have 5 years to save & I will untill the dream is acheivable. Sorry if I mislead anyone but I had to make you think.

:no::no:....one thing about the ozzies ...they quickly see through a bullsh*tter !!!

mrs keily

we too will be going with little money and have enjoyed reading people posts that have survived and made a go off things - good on ya!

We will give it our best shot and whilst we wont have brand news cars, houses etc etc, as a family we will have a wonderful experience i think be stronger for it,

Yes we will have to save (really really hard) to maybe buy a house again one day but for now we will be happy renting with our clapped out cars and enjoy what we do have.

Life is what you make it

Claire

we too will be going with little money and have enjoyed reading people posts that have survived and made a go off things - good on ya!

We will give it our best shot and whilst we wont have brand news cars, houses etc etc, as a family we will have a wonderful experience i think be stronger for it,

Yes we will have to save (really really hard) to maybe buy a house again one day but for now we will be happy renting with our clapped out cars and enjoy what we do have.

Life is what you make it

Claire

claire ...we have been here 16 months now .....came with under 10000 k .....have just managed to buy [finance] a new car ...still rentin [house in scotland not sold ] ...we arrived with no furniture [only small items shipped] and had to rely on friends and gumtree to furnish our home ...we have everything we need ....none of it brand new apart from 3 mattresses ....it can be done ...and i defy anyone to say it cant !!! ....we are fortunate we dont have young children ...but my 21 yr old still had to be financed lol ....it aint been easy ...but its been worth it ...good luck to you and u family and all others embarking on the journey

mrs keily

Guest MadChicken

Ive not read all the posts cos there seems to be a few heated ones. But i can say i came over with less than 10 k it was $2000 yep $. but was on my own, no kids and i had a job which i started straight away,if you have enough to rent a house for a month, and have a job lined up you should easy be fine on 10k all depends on how big a house or how flashy a car you want. sometimes youve gotta take as step back to step forward.

Guest Alexxxxx
Ive not read all the posts cos there seems to be a few heated ones. But i can say i came over with less than 10 k it was $2000 yep $. but was on my own, no kids and i had a job which i started straight away,if you have enough to rent a house for a month, and have a job lined up you should easy be fine on 10k all depends on how big a house or how flashy a car you want. sometimes youve gotta take as step back to step forward.

That's what me and my OH are looking to do. We don't have children, just the two of us and have no intention of going out there without one of us having a job lined up and have enough for a deposit and first months rent. So basically no more than £5k. Was slightly concerned there was going to be something that I hadn't thought of yet but I hope I have researched enough on here and books etc to know I should be able to survive for the first few months quite happily :-) Money isnt everything. We just need a roof over our head and a job and we'll be happy for just being there.

Guest Cakey

We are trying for the contributory parent visa......which costs loads a money! Which will have to come from the sale of our house, not a good time to sell, so although we were retired we have both taken cleaning jobs and we do car boots....Anything to make money to save towards the cost of the visa, figuring the less money coming off the house money the more we have to take with us to Australia. We are enjoying working! It helps to pass the time and we feel we are doing something positive to help towards our visa. We hope to be able to get jobs in Australia...It's keeping us young!

We certainly won't be going with much but I think the difference is what you want/ need to do with the money.

I wouldn't o with nohing if I didn't ahve a job to go to. At the moment I am waiting to hear in a job, if I was lucky enough to get it then we have £1200 in the bank that will pay for my spouse visa and medical (just) we have £200 put aside in another account where we are starting to save money from bits we are selling off. We will be shipping only personal bits. My reasoning being that 1 we don't have any good stuff to warrant shipping (all 2nd hand and tatty) that we can replace 2nd hand and tatty bits over there through freecycle and gumtree. We quite like the challenge of budiling everything up again. All my stuff is from my 1st marriage and I want to build a home with my current husband. If we can't afford to ship straight away we will store our items. We will sell our cars about £1500 - £2000 in total and buy a renta wreck lol to get us around. We have money from ourdeosit on our current house and we will have our rent that would have been paid the next month when we move out. So enough for a bond and a months rent in advance (will stress that we will only be doing this with jobs as wouldn't be able to secure a rental on this otherwise) then we will book and pay for some cheap accommodation, a caravan if necessary to stay in the meantime.

We strugle over here so why not struggle over there? If I got this job it would be a oay rise of 3x what I am on now, there would be no hope of me making that here. I don't care what it takes we will get there. All me and my family need is a bed to sleep in a chair to sit and some food in our mouths. The rest will come.

We are however lucky that as we are married and have dependant children I should (not guaranteed) get the subclass 100 which means I can claim benefits straight away if required so at least we have ab it of a safety net

Coming out with children is a whole different ball game, and I take my hat off to anybody who made the move with kids.

When we moved here, it was only me and my hubby and I had a job to go to. So for us coming out with little money was no big issue, especially that I had started my job within a week.

Archived