Who has or is going to oz with £10k or less

Guest mandisfam

Guest danyallface

Some of these posts have really chilled me out!! I think I am just a bit of a worrier by nature but I know deep down that we'll be fine .

My partner and I are heading out in Feb 2011 and plan to have saved £15k (although to be fair nearly £6.5k of that will be spent before we get there on flying us and the dogs out!) so we'll have £8.5k to set up on.

I have looked in to every possible cost and think that the £8.5k we'll have left should cover 2mths rent + bond, 1mth of bills and food, basic furniture (gumtree here we come!!), 1mth of bus fares to CBD, Insurances and a cheap runaround. We don't have any children, although the dogs get treated like them!

I have a job to go to starting on 28th Feb (4wks after I arrive) so will have one months salary from the 1st April which should cover everything (albeit a bit tight!!) if it takes the OH a little while to find work (although we have friends who said they know people who will have work for him).

• Replies 403
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Some of these posts have really chilled me out!! I think I am just a bit of a worrier by nature but I know deep down that we'll be fine .

My partner and I are heading out in Feb 2011 and plan to have saved £15k (although to be fair nearly £6.5k of that will be spent before we get there on flying us and the dogs out!) so we'll have £8.5k to set up on.

I have looked in to every possible cost and think that the £8.5k we'll have left should cover 2mths rent + bond, 1mth of bills and food, basic furniture (gumtree here we come!!), 1mth of bus fares to CBD, Insurances and a cheap runaround. We don't have any children, although the dogs get treated like them!

I have a job to go to starting on 28th Feb (4wks after I arrive) so will have one months salary from the 1st April which should cover everything (albeit a bit tight!!) if it takes the OH a little while to find work (although we have friends who said they know people who will have work for him).

All the best you will be fine as you have jobs to go to.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest ukchocolateisthebest

if you can over with £3000 does it have to be in your bank or can you bring it over in cash. coz u have to proove u have $5000 an wud make my life a hell of a lot easier to jst bring it over in cash haha!!

if you can over with £3000 does it have to be in your bank or can you bring it over in cash. coz u have to proove u have $5000 an wud make my life a hell of a lot easier to jst bring it over in cash haha!!

Hi, you can take cash over, anything over $10k has to be declared on customs form, you might want to consider taking $$$ traveller cheques, as these will be insured, if they got lost or stolen, it would cost about £20. and then they could be paid into a bank account when you arrived in Oz.:biggrin:

Hiya should be ok as you start work soon and have something lined up, but we arrived 25 June 2010 both with no jobs and spent £5k in 6 weeks everything is more expensive than the UK lucky enough I picked up work so have been working for a week and HB starts working Tues - no kids too. We've spent at least $100 on food per week cooking in shopping at Coles and Woolworths. Eating out is alot more than UK. For example we went to Wagamama today and spent $70 on 2 mains, 1 dessert, 1 small wine, 1 beer, that's before the tip. We used to have the same in Wags and pay around 25-30! Electrical goods are a joke some things are double the price make sure you get all the bits you really want. Books are expensive too even on the book depository - need an amazon.co.uk equivalent but I don't think one exists. Clothes are probably a season behind and more expensive, I find even shoes are more. So in effect be sure to be earning at least the same or more than you had in the UK, definitely not less. Still we are prepared to give it a go and try to adapt giving it 2 years but it is definitely expensive! Good Luck!

Guest siamsusie
Hiya should be ok as you start work soon and have something lined up, but we arrived 25 June 2010 both with no jobs and spent £5k in 6 weeks everything is more expensive than the UK lucky enough I picked up work so have been working for a week and HB starts working Tues - no kids too. We've spent at least $100 on food per week cooking in shopping at Coles and Woolworths. Eating out is alot more than UK. For example we went to Wagamama today and spent $70 on 2 mains, 1 dessert, 1 small wine, 1 beer, that's before the tip. We used to have the same in Wags and pay around 25-30! Electrical goods are a joke some things are double the price make sure you get all the bits you really want. Books are expensive too even on the book depository - need an amazon.co.uk equivalent but I don't think one exists. Clothes are probably a season behind and more expensive, I find even shoes are more. So in effect be sure to be earning at least the same or more than you had in the UK, definitely not less. Still we are prepared to give it a go and try to adapt giving it 2 years but it is definitely expensive! Good Luck!

Amazon Uk deliver here free after the first $15 or so... but its still excellent value. Book Depository has free P & P and remains very competitive even in the British market. We tend to buy most of our books these days on e bay from the states works out substancially cheaper. Susie

Guest markandmichelle

hi all

we came over here in may this year and had around £10,000 we did ship some of our stuff over, we paid our bond and 1st month rent be4 we came out here, so didnot use our money we had aside 4 that, we did use the money 4 a cheap car and 4 buying some stuff 4 the house, 2 c us though while we was waiting on our stuff. but we have still got over half of that money still in the bank, and back in the uk, we both worked full time 2 pay bills and up keep of the house and all the bills, but over here i donot have a job yet, so it is only my oh who is working, and we are doing fine on his wages, we donot go out all the time, and we are still buying things 4 the house, but we have found some good places about 2 buy things 4 the house. (and if u pay cash u can knock them down on the price)

must say we have found the prices ok, but guess we have just been lucky, as i say the sort of life style we have here is some much better, we now get 2 c each other and spend time with each other, and we donot have 2 worry about money like we did in the uk. so guess all i am trying 2 say is it doesnot matter how much money u bring over, u just shop around, we love it over here and so glad we have made the move, and yes we was worry about if we had another money, but as it has showed we are doing ok on the 1 wage till i can find a job.

good luck 2 u all and follow u dreams.

Michelle

• 1 year later...
Guest The Ropey HOFF
Is anybody still moving out with 10k in 2012?!!?

£10k in 2008 might have got you $25,000 dollars, in 2012 it will only get you $15,000 thats a big difference.

My family and I (me, the missus and 2 kids) are hopefully moving out there in 3-4 months.

We will have roughly £20k for our re-location, but out of that need to pay costs to ship our home contents over (£4000 I reckon) and to ship our dog (another £4000 I reckon). So we will have whatever is left to cover rental bond and upfront rent. We will be looking for cheap-ish run around to get us by for a year or so and will pay as much as we can/need to upfront for kids school expenses etc whatever they may be so that its out of the way and not something that we need to budget monthly for so we can have as much as possible from my take home pay every month to live off and enjoy our new life !

I have a job to go to when we get there (457 visa) but it will just be my wage for us to live on for a short while until we get settled and get the kids into school and find our bearings etc. Then the missus will hopefully be looking for work also.

Me an my partner are planning to go in October and we will probably have around 10k. We are very lucky though because we can stay with my partners folks for as long as we want.

They have a big house and we will have two rooms + bathroom there for ourselves. My partner (he is the Aussie) shouldn't have any problems finding a job. I on the other hand have to wait until the visa is approved before applying for jobs. I guess I am a bit anxious about money but it's good to know that there is a family there who can't wait for us to arrive in Oz.

Same here. we have inherited £15K which we are using, we will be adding a few more to it, but that includes all the shipping (if we do any) and visa costs. We are lucky that we are able to claim benefits if we fall on really hard times but hope it doesn't come to that. Def he who dares......

This is a really good thread idea!! I haven't read it all yet but will do now to see other experiences.

I will be moving by myself looking at around early March 2013 but will be going on a reccie for 3 weeks in November. I currently have £10k and am saving around £500 per month but from that I'll need to pay for 2 lots of flights and the application etc. I'm also planning to rent out my home in the UK furnished so will have nothing to ship but it means having to buy everything when I get there! So I'll prob have just over £10k when I arrive but hoping for as much as possible.

At this stage, I don't know if I'll have a job on arrival but wll start looking properly in November so when I go on my reccie I can go armed with resumes and interview outfits ready :)

• 4 weeks later...

I intend to be heading down under later this year with around £10K and I think it's perfectly possible. Now I'm a young single person with no financial responsibilities or dependants, but I think there are still some people who'd be pessimistic about my chances of survival. I like to think I have some perspective - I know I can't expect to hit the ground running operating the same kind of lifestyle I do in the UK, so I'm prepared for about six weeks where I'm not working, probably living in a private room in a nice hostel (why everyone doesn't do this, I have no idea - it's much more economical). There will be initial outlays and set-up costs and I'm aware of those, but I should still be able to visit a few bars and have a few meals on $15K spread over a couple of months before an Aussie income starts coming in.

So to anyone anxious about whether it's possible, ignore the doom mongers. Australia is land of opportunity - there's plenty of it out there and I personally believe if you have perspective, and a willingness to make some short term sacrifices in quality of living to re-establish yourself in the land down under, Australia will meet you half way.

Good luck, folks!

• 2 weeks later...

Sooo glad I found this thread....After me and my husband have paid for the dogs and a months accom in Australia and car hire for a couple of weeks we will be in possession of 8.5K-I have a breakdown here and was maybe hoping to get some feedback from people who have been there and done it? Please note that there is just the to of us and that I will be working within 3 weeks of us arriving. we are also sending our bed and soft furnishings over.

deposit on a rental house (£1000)

Car (£3000)-we have been told that public transport is good in Adelaide so if we can not afford we could make do for a while

General living for one month, food and travel (£1000)

First months rent in advance (£1000)

Back up emergency money (£1000)

xx

Sooo glad I found this thread....After me and my husband have paid for the dogs and a months accom in Australia and car hire for a couple of weeks we will be in possession of 8.5K-I have a breakdown here and was maybe hoping to get some feedback from people who have been there and done it? Please note that there is just the to of us and that I will be working within 3 weeks of us arriving. we are also sending our bed and soft furnishings over.

Car (£3000)-we have been told that public transport is good in Adelaide so if we can not afford we could make do for a while

xx

I reckon I could get by on that, but you'll have to be very careful, for £3000 you will only get a jalopy I'm afraid, and don't forget you may have to pay stamp duty and transfer fee on it.

d

xx

If you're wanting to rely on public transport, make sure you're living close to your place of work. taking a single bus/train is fine, but the connections aren't always particularly great. It is definitely possible to manage without a car for a while, though depends where you're living. We only use the car to get to the supermarket for big shops, and to get to the rock climbing gym, day to day we used to cycle/bus, and now live close enough to work to just walk. If you're living in the suburbs miles away from shops and bus line, you'l have more issues...

This thread has been very interesting reading and has definitely put my mind at ease. We will be going with about £13k, we are a family of 5 and will need to buy a car pretty quickly on arrival too. I was under the impression that most people went with a whole lot more than that and we have been deliberating constantly when to go, shall we stay in UK a bit longer to try to save some more money to take with us etc? Although that's tough going as work has been thin on the ground here in UK at the moment so why not just get there and get going? It's hard to know what to do for the best but I think get there the sooner the better and now after reading these posts it's made my mind up, I am sure we'll be fine!

We have been here 3 years we didn't come with much, it was hard but we are still here!!! We lived on eggs for many months surprising how many dishes you can create with them lol. Our biggest mistake was the car we brought it cost us $6k & didn't last us long! was a big chunk of our savings, would suggest renting a car 1st dont rush in & buy the 1st thing you see. Cars are very expensive here & they want lots of money for old bangers! we lived very simple & manged to start saving. I would have a look at peoples junk when it was left at the roadside picked up some amazing items! Like everyone said if your budget is not big don't rush out to buy items, as long as u have a bed to sleep in, the rest will come. I was so worried about our budget as everyone I met had massive amounts to start with. U CAN DO IT!

Archived