Who has or is going to oz with £10k or less

Guest mandisfam

• Replies 403
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest guest37336

Some on here seemed to being getting bogged down in the whole 'worth' thing. Surely at the end of the day your own efforts and willingness to work your nuts off may prove dividends in the end.

I admire all those who are going to Australia with very little money, undoubtedly you will find it harder than someone who goes with many thousands, but I'm afraid that to a degree, money is no help at all. Mindset, attitude and acceptance will go far further in Australia than any sense of 'worth' because of money ever will.

I have been to Australia on several occasions with barely a penny in my pocket, yes, it WAS bloody hard, really bloody hard, but at the end of the day I/we got through and I can honestly say that I am proud of what we achieved.

Its very easy to get out to Australia and have the financial backing to do so, nothing wrong with that at all. If you have worked hard all your life and got down to it, then it is only right and proper that you should make your assimilation into Australia that much easier.

But I honestly reckon that those people who go to Australia on a limited budget will appreciate what they can/will achieve in Australia far more. I don't want to offend but ones 'worth' (monetary wise) has very little to do with making a HAPPY life in Australia.

Cheers Tony

I cant speak personally but my daughter and son in law emigrated in 2007 with around £3000 to their name with a 3 year old and 10 month baby. My son in law had a job to go to (on minimum wage) with the little ones my daughter couldnt work full time. They found a rental and bought the minimum cheap furniture they needed until theirs arrived 3 months later. My daughter found herself a part time Saturday job, worked her backside off selling on the auction site and they scraped through the first 2 years. They saved every spare cent to apply for their PR last year and got it. Now they get some help from Centrelink which eases things for them but they still both work hard and they wouldnt change a thing. For them and the children, their quality of life is a million times better than it was in the UK. That's because they wanted it....so they worked hard to get it..and keep it and still do. They have had some hard times, 4 months after they went around the Xmas time my son in law snapped his achilles tendon and had a chalk on for 8 weeks but he had a desk job so they still let him go into work so he did because he had to, when the kids were poorly they had to pay for GP's and medication etc.

I agree you have to want it to make it work

Phoebe

Guest Hearne_Family
so you would appluade a student who comes on here telling everyone he or she had 10 A stars. I come on here made good from admitidly not trying at school & get crap from some for turning myself around & making good. Listen to your kids

Kirk there is being proud and then there is showing off, yes you should be proud that you have gone from no real eduacation to being mortgage free but by posting this and making sure everyone knows your financial situation on a thread purely aimed at those who dont have much money is only going to result in one outcome.

As I have said before, money does not make a person, I personally am not driven by money, never have been, I have had promotions and I am happy that life here is comfortable but thats not what I go for promotions for, I do them to prove to myself that despite a rough start I am not a failure and I am sucessful. If I had millions in the bank I would Never dream of telling people, it shows a shallowness that the majority of people find off putting.

Terry.

Kirk there is being proud and then there is showing off, yes you should be proud that you have gone from no real eduacation to being mortgage free but by posting this and making sure everyone knows your financial situation on a thread purely aimed at those who dont have much money is only going to result in one outcome.

As I have said before, money does not make a person, I personally am not driven by money, never have been, I have had promotions and I am happy that life here is comfortable but thats not what I go for promotions for, I do them to prove to myself that despite a rough start I am not a failure and I am sucessful. If I had millions in the bank I would Never dream of telling people, it shows a shallowness that the majority of people find off putting.

Terry.

You dont know me as I dont know you & will never know. You dont know if I live in a tent or a house what I type could be a load of crap just to get one person to stop & think then I will feel happy that I could of saved there dream. Sometimes you have say things just to get a responce.

Guest Hearne_Family
You dont know me as I dont know you & will never know. You dont know if I live in a tent or a house what I type could be a load of crap just to get one person to stop & think then I will feel happy that I could of saved there dream. Sometimes you have say things just to get a responce.

Who's to say you are saving their dream? There are many of us here who have followed our dreams with no money and made it.

Guest wingywangwoo

Its very hard to live the dream in this day and age with little or no money!!

If you think you can do just that, i think you will find you are kidding yourself!

It costs £1000's to get here, thats a huge amount if taken from your equity on your house sale!!!! Its also a hell of a lot of money to spend if the dream is not all it seems, and for one thing or another you return to the uk!!

So yes its easy for people to say "go for it! You will regret it if you don't!" Especially when its not your money your playing with! If anyone is having doubts before they even get their visa, my advice to you would be to validate once you do have it and not throw all your eggs into one basket! Also if you can, try not to sell your house but rent it out, at least that way you will still have a home to return to also you foot still in the mortgage ladder!!

John

Its very hard to live the dream in this day and age with little or no money!!

If you think you can do just that, i think you will find you are kidding yourself!

It costs £1000's to get here, thats a huge amount if taken from your equity on your house sale!!!! Its also a hell of a lot of money to spend if the dream is not all it seems, and for one thing or another you return to the uk!!

So yes its easy for people to say "go for it! You will regret it if you don't!" Especially when its not your money your playing with! If anyone is having doubts before they even get their visa, my advice to you would be to validate once you do have it and not throw all your eggs into one basket! Also if you can, try not to sell your house but rent it out, at least that way you will still have a home to return to also you foot still in the mortgage ladder!!

John

May be I am too direct with my posts but they cant argue with yours just hope some listen & take off the rosey spects. Great post.

Guest Hearne_Family
May be I am too direct with my posts but they cant argue with yours just hope some listen & take off the rosey spects. Great post.

No rosey specs here, I am living my dream, I came here with approx £5k and made a go of it, people telling me it cant be done is an annoyance. I, along with others am living proof that it can be done.

So my advice as always is...do your sums, and if they work out go for it. Thats the advice of a family who have made the move on a budget and are thriving in Australia.

Terry.

No rosey specs here, I am living my dream, I came here with approx £5k and made a go of it, people telling me it cant be done is an annoyance. I, along with others am living proof that it can be done.

So my advice as always is...do your sums, and if they work out go for it. Thats the advice of a family who have made the move on a budget and are thriving in Australia.

Terry.

Good for you but is not right for people to only here one view.

Guest wingywangwoo

Terry.

Does it say in your status at the bottom of your post, that you had a job to start straight away! Maybe thats the difference in you succeeding where others have not! Plus that was over a year ago when you first came to Australia, and as others have already said, the cost of living was lower then also the exchange rate was higher?

A year on and things are not so straight forward, property in the uk have dropped a good fair whack, which also means less cash in the pocket!!!!!!!!

The original post asks if you can survive on £10k, some can, and some will say no, depends on their personal situation!

John,

Guest Hearne_Family
Does it say in your status at the bottom of your post, that you had a job to start straight away! Maybe thats the difference in you succeeding where others have not! Plus that was over a year ago when you first came to Australia, and as others have already said, the cost of living was lower then also the exchange rate was higher?

A year on and things are not so straight forward, property in the uk have dropped a good fair whack, which also means less cash in the pocket!!!!!!!!

The original post asks if you can survive on £10k, some can, and some will say no, depends on their personal situation!

John,

Hi John,

Very observent...yes I did have a job to come to and that does make things easier but not by much when you take home $762 a week to support a family of 4 while also paying $100 a week back to the UK for debts there. My advice is pretty self explanitary, work out what you need and if it adds up then go for it.

The original post asks if anyone is going to Oz with £10k I answered that using my own personal experience coming here with $10k.

I came with $10,000 and still worked hard at things to make a go of the situation, it does annoy me when people who are not here say it cant be done and people should really consider putting the move on hold. Surely there is never really a good time? I mean as you say the exchange rate has got worse now and whats to say it wont be worse next year and the year after? I am just telling people it can be done, if you are sensible and do your research, and yes my advice is go for it, you only live once.

Terry

Guest Hearne_Family
Good for you but is not right for people to only here one view.

Kirk, the OP asked 'Who has or is going to iz with £10k or less' to me it seems that they were asking a question to see who had done it and they were not asking for warnings of financial ruin. I agree that people should not hear only one view but a bit of self restrain and relevance would not go amiss.

Terry.

Woah slow down everyone!!!!

The post was asking "cant it be done?" Some on here have done it so yes it can be done.

Its all horses for courses and how much you are prepared to rough it. Fiona is a classic example. Her family bought old cars and second hand furniture till they were established.

We are coming out with about £100K. £70K of that is not going to be touched as it is "house money". I could do it on a shoestring because I can be really thrifty if I want to be, but we have chosen to buy a new 4x4 and to pay 6 months rent straight down when we arrive and if all goes to plan we should both have jobs to go to.

If you REALLY want something then anything is possible.

JOHN

Guest Hearne_Family
Woah slow down everyone!!!!

The post was asking "cant it be done?" Some on here have done it so yes it can be done.

Its all horses for courses and how much you are prepared to rough it. Fiona is a classic example. Her family bought old cars and second hand furniture till they were established.

We are coming out with about £100K. £70K of that is not going to be touched as it is "house money". I could do it on a shoestring because I can be really thrifty if I want to be, but we have chosen to buy a new 4x4 and to pay 6 months rent straight down when we arrive and if all goes to plan we should both have jobs to go to.

If you REALLY want something then anything is possible.

JOHN

Hi John, this is very true, we did the same as Fiona, I drive an ED Falcon with 400,000ks on the clock, our furniture was either secondhand or very cheap.

Good luck with your move, hope it all works out well for you.

Terry.

Well it is time to hold my hands up I have nothing not a penny to my name but there is no way I would put my family through a gamble like this. I have 5 years to save & I will untill the dream is acheivable. Sorry if I mislead anyone but I had to make you think.

Guest Hearne_Family
Well it is time to hold my hands up I have nothing not a penny to my name but there is no way I would put my family through a gamble like this. I have 5 years to save & I will untill the dream is acheivable. Sorry if I mislead anyone but I had to make you think.

If thats true then good on you for coming clean. You have to understand that to some of us its not a gamble, I personally felt like I was suffocating in the UK under the pressure of debts and trying to support my family, I saw a chance to make a new (better) life and I went for it and it has paid off massively, there is no way in the world that I would go back to the UK now.

Just take note of how many there are who have made the move and who have made it happen, it CAN be done, money is not everything, if you are willing to get by with little you can go far.

Good luck.

Terry.

If thats true then good on you for coming clean. You have to understand that to some of us its not a gamble, I personally felt like I was suffocating in the UK under the pressure of debts and trying to support my family, I saw a chance to make a new (better) life and I went for it and it has paid off massively, there is no way in the world that I would go back to the UK now.

Just take note of how many there are who have made the move and who have made it happen, it CAN be done, money is not everything, if you are willing to get by with little you can go far.

Good luck.

Terry.

some times you have to deceive to get the right answers but sometimes the answer is not what we want.

Guest Hearne_Family
some times you have to deceive to get the right answers but sometimes the answer is not what we want.

To be honest Kirk I think you would have got a lot more help and advice if you were honest from the start, however, thats in the past now. Good luck with your move when you make it, keep us updated wont you?

Terry.

Guest wingywangwoo
Hi John,

Very observent...yes I did have a job to come to and that does make things easier but not by much when you take home $762 a week to support a family of 4 while also paying $100 a week back to the UK for debts there. My advice is pretty self explanitary, work out what you need and if it adds up then go for it.

The original post asks if anyone is going to Oz with £10k I answered that using my own personal experience coming here with $10k.

I came with $10,000 and still worked hard at things to make a go of the situation, it does annoy me when people who are not here say it cant be done and people should really consider putting the move on hold. Surely there is never really a good time? I mean as you say the exchange rate has got worse now and whats to say it wont be worse next year and the year after? I am just telling people it can be done, if you are sensible and do your research, and yes my advice is go for it, you only live once.

Terry

Hats off to you Terry, as you have made your journey a success story, no one can take what you have achieved away from you!

However, people do need to take in account the amount of money it takes to start off with!

It doesn't go very far with no secure job and income to back you up!

The list is endless in just the first few weeks in Australia,

People really need to weigh it all up before they embark on their journey,

You really need to be 100% sure that you can say goodbye to your comfortable life and secure jobs in the uk, and land with nothing except the money in your back pocket!

John

Guest girlwizz99

Things will be tight... You will need to get a car immediately as everything is so spread out and pay a deposit on a house rental etc.. With the very poor exchange rate against the pound it is currently very expensive here! Hopefully you will find work straight away but I would try and bring more if you can as 10k will not last long at 1.71 to the pound!!

Archived