Who has or is going to oz with £10k or less

Guest mandisfam

Guest guest30038

Always bargain coz at the end of the day everyone wants your money and discounts are easy enough to get especially on cars and furniture.

Don't be fooled into thinking that Jobs are a plenty.

Good 'un Angela. I can't beleieve that in this day and age, some folk find it beneath 'em to go to vinnies or lifeline. You do what you have to do to survive.

I've seen the lean, and I've seen the plenty, which is why I convinced my 3 older boys to go into the forces.............they'll always have a job. You sets your goals, or you don't (if like me you're just prepared to muddle through)...........you do what you have to do, to get to those goals, but always bearing in mind, that for every boom, there's a bust.............symptom of capitalism (and shades of my years as a union branch secretary shining through there) :biglaugh: but things will take a turn for the better, or the worse, depending where you are in that cycle, and if there's one thing capitalism has going for it, is that it needs to survive, and it's your dollar that will allow that, so make the bastards fight for it!

kev

• Replies 403
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i came over to perth 8 weeks ago wife is working nurse ,i got a job for one week someone on hols ,i have being promised a job in 3 weeks spraypainter perth area ,car cost heaps but dont rush and buy the first one you see hire for a couple of weeks heaps of car at side of the roads they all have big miles ,we ended up getting 2000 hyundai nubrina its ugly 100k good condition so dont buy the first one you see ,

gary

Guest sparky1

We wont have 10k but really dont want to move without one of us securing a job - trouble is finding one... We are worried without a job before the move what happens if you dont find anything quickly????

Guest christinenpete

This is a great thread and it definately gives us food for thought. We won't have much money to bring over, as we rent and are currently paying off credit cards etc. But I'm hoping to get a job lined up before hand, hopefully Occupational Therapist jobs haven't been hit too hard by the current economic climate.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Nasher
Hi, I have been reading a lot of posts on here, with people saying they have got £50k, or £100k to go out to oz with, obviously from the equity of their houses. But we will be lucky to scrap together £10k to go out with. (We got on the housing ladder at the tail end of the bloom, so not made much on our house)

So I was wondering if there was anyone else going out with £10k or less???

Also, is there anyone out there who did go to oz on £10k or less and do they have any tips for starting out again, on what seems to be very little to go out with in comparison to others.

Thanks

Mandisfam

What a great question to ask. After reading lots of the replies it has renewed our enthusiasm for getting on with our plans to emigrate. We were strating to get really stressed about how much is enough, but after reading the posts I just want to sell the house and go! Thankyou and best of luck to anyone who will be going on a smallish budget.

• 6 months later...

Hi,

Me and my partner will be migrating to south australia this feb 2010.

We will be taking only £5k with us.

SA have provided us with the on arrival accommodation which is fully furnished for 3 months. rent to be $250 a week.

Do you think this amount would be ok to take with us?

Thank you

Hi,

SA have provided us with the on arrival accommodation which is fully furnished for 3 months. rent to be $250 a week.

Thank you

Have you got jobs to go to, 5K is very little, i can not see that lasting long.

Good luck

Proview

No we don't have jobs to go to. I am a little worried this.

We are going on the 475 visa, will we be able to get a credit card?

Hi im not so sure about getting a credit card, even if you did get some sort of credit card how would you pay it back with no job to go to, to be honest i am a little confused with the post, have you done your homework on this.

Proview

Hi,

Thank you

I think you are been a little foolish to go with so little or make sure you leave enough for the plane ride back as I think you may need it but then again many have gone & made it.

I think if both of you are willing to work and do anything to support yourselves, then go for it. As the song goes, Lifes what you make it.

We are going with just short of 10k but we will give it a bloody good go.

We fly out wed next week to Brissy.

So good luck with your move.

Briggy x

I think if both of you are willing to work and do anything to support yourselves, then go for it. As the song goes, Lifes what you make it.

We are going with just short of 10k but we will give it a bloody good go.

We fly out wed next week to Brissy.

So good luck with your move.

Briggy x

Good luck, what visa are you going on, are you a family or just a couple??

Proview

Hi all,

Just been trying to find a post I read this week re Queensland SS. Someone said it had been withdrawn as their money was all tied up in their property, they had no 'ready' cash. Would think this is the case for a lot of people. By selling you house, cars etc you would be able to fund you new life down under.

Did any one else read the same post or has anyone had SS withdrawn as they had no savings? Do you have to take a certain amount with you, also read DIAC check to see if someone had return flight monet, just in case. Is this true?

Wish I could find these post will keep looking.

Tina.

Guest Hearne_Family

I came to Melbourne on a 457 visa with $10k (Dollars not Pounds) and we got by and nearly a year in we have settled in well and we are doing better and better in terms of finances, homework and research are the keys to it, ask questions, do online grocery shops, price up as much as you can from the UK before you make the move, have a read of this thread I started to see what our money went on and where we went for furniture etc:

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/news-gossip-chat/74314-10-months-uk-melbourne-10k.html

Good luck to those making the move.

Terry

I came to Melbourne on a 457 visa with $10 (Dollars not Pounds) and we got by and nearly a year in we have settled in well and we are doing better and better in terms of finances, homework and research are the keys to it, ask questions, do online grocery shops, price up as much as you can from the UK before you make the move, have a read of this thread I started to see what our money went on and where we went for furniture etc:

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/news-gossip-chat/74314-10-months-uk-melbourne-10k.html

Good luck to those making the move.

Terry

When did you go to oz ? I have heard of the £10.00 pom But never the $10.00 pom LOL

Hi, thanks to you all that replied to this post of mine. Its good to know we want be the only ones going out with £10k (or thereabouts) and less.

We are simply people and long as the bills are paid and we have enough money for some good food and odd bottle of wine, plus the kids have want they need, then we are happy.

It would seem oh will earn a fairly decent wage out there being in IT (I may get away with working part time and maybe not at all), and before I get posted down, we have spoken to recruitment agencies out there and we have been told a realistic figure my oh could earn in his area of IT, so figures cross all will be well.

Good luck to all going out with "10k (or thereabouts) or less" Money isn't everything........

Mandisfam

Hi Mandisfam

my hubby is in IT too, just wondered if you could pm me with what figures the agencies have told you your hubby could expect and what area he's in, if you don't mind? We validated our visas in Sept/Oct 09 but couldn't get hold of our contacts at the agency we had arranged to meet up with prior to going! (The original guy left and someone else took over his work and we wondered if it was, as we read on another post, because the original guy had thought we were going for good, not just validating, and apparantly they won't give you the time until you are living there?)

We are also thinking of going over with about 10k so this thread has been very useful.

Thanks in advance

Donnah

Guest nevergiveup

I agree totally what money when you have your health and happiness.

This post sooooo true

Good luck and all the best to u all .

I do hope i will be following !!!

Guest Hearne_Family
When did you go to oz ? I have heard of the £10.00 pom But never the $10.00 pom LOL

Ha ha...it was early am when I wrote that!! $10k!!

Guest junan70

I'm single and came to Adelaide in September with £11,000. I've just borrowed a ton of money off my parents as deposit for a car (can't get a car loan on a temp visa) which I need for the job I got on my 43rd application. (yes 43) £11k doesn't last long here.

If you aren't coming over to a job bring money, lots and lots and lots and lots of money!!:confused:

Guest ashmalog

We have been here 2mths now and came over with 15k. We left the rest in a uk acct as the rate was too low. All that money has gone

now but we did buy a car and pay 3mths rent upfront and the bond which was almost 4k. We are finding that we can live off hubby's wage here and mine is all for extras. We are way better off here as have a bigger house, better lifestyle and more relaxed jobs. Best move we made but everyone is different. We are waiting for the xchange rate to go up before changing rest of our money but that will be for a deposit on a house but not going to do that until the first time buyers grant increases again.

Archived