Who has or is going to oz with £10k or less

Guest mandisfam

We came out 5 months ago with two wee ones, about 8 k and one job. We have struggled but not starved. Today husbands Visa came through so his job hunt begins. Onwards and upwards. I landed in UK with 200 bucks in 1993, so lasted 18 years. ( no kids though back then)I say you can do it. Just be realistic about your expectations and ecoise when you can.What an adventure! Many people won't take an adventure!

• Replies 403
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We arrived in Sydney a month ago. We brought £10k over with us (leaving the bulk of our money in the UK), and starting from scratch have found 10k to be a good amount. I paid the first three months rent up front so this has obviously been the biggest expense. After one month we now have AUD 6k to live on, with rent already paid for three months.

Some tips for cheap startup.

- Get down to Big W for cheap homewares, kitchen appliances bedding towels. I spent about $400 on everything we needed (for a totally empty flat).Found prices to be cheap compared to other stores.

- Get on gumtree.com.au for second hand furniture bargains. We furnished our unit with circa £1000 (including fridge and washing machine). Bought a nice 6 seater corner lounge for $150

- Shop at Aldi to start off. bread is 80c there for example, take the tip. shop at Reject Shop for toiletries and washing powder and the like.

- Optus had good deal of phone (unlimited local and national calls) and broadband for $60 per month. I got this on a service that hooks you up for electricity, gas, internet etc when you move into a rental.

Our plan was to sell our property and cash in, we would have been bringing $600,000 yes that correct, anyway we will have to wait till our property sells first, so in the time it takes to sell we have decided to rent it out at £1500 per month, this will pay towards rental cost in Brisbane etc etc, we have secured a rental for the first 10 weeks at hope island, in this time we will look round for a long term rental on water, runaway bay, paradise point area. When we arrive we will have approx after paying for 10 weeks rent around $45,000, good luck every one

Guest Pixie10

Really does depend what jobs you do and where you are going. If you are confident (ie. have researched and checked with agencies etc) that you will get work quickly and are going to somewhere cheapish (Adelaide) then you should survive- just get the $$ flowing asap and make jobs a major priority. Live within your means and take it slow. Goodluck

Archived