Who has or is going to oz with £10k or less

Guest mandisfam

Guest tandcmum

This is a great thread and has eased my worries a little bit. We have no house to sell and no savings as yet but we will oy be going over if i have a job to go to (i'm a nurse) so at least we will know there is money coming in. Hubby is prepared to do anything to bring in a bit extra cash. we certainly will have 10K or less to come out with but won't be leaving any debt behind in the UK (other than my student loan which i haven't even started paying yet 12 yrs on)

• Replies 403
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest roantreemj

Our house sale fell through in october the day before contracts were due to be exchanged ,so we going with 4 kids and 10k if we are lucky,we been through so much to get our visas that we are determined to go,,no matter what

Guest chris_mac

Just picked this thread up and read some wonderful, heart felt and troublesome but courageous words...

Please remember that money is the cause of all evil and its the people who are closest to our hearts thats makes every day worth living no matter how wonderful our dreams, how noble our ideals, or how high our hopes, ultimately we need our loved ones to make them a reality.

Good luck to you all..

going with 10k is like walking down the fast lane of a motorway at night dressed in black you know there can be only one outcome. your all very brave or something but hey the odds are someone must win sometime. you could be the lucky one but i could only do it if i was single, gamble with my kids life zero

Guest guest17301
going with 10k is like walking down the fast lane of a motorway at night dressed in black you know there can be only one outcome. your all very brave or something but hey the odds are someone must win sometime. you could be the lucky one but i could only do it if i was single, gamble with my kids life zero

Kirk..that is so negative! Tell me exactly why you need more than 5k if you have a job to start immediately? Because I don't see that you do? Plenty of people set up home in the Uk with far less?

It's not stopping us..Christ..we have enought to worry about as it is..I'll worry about having no money when I get there..I'm sure the surroundings will ease the pain of being skint just a little bit

Guest The Pom Queen

Please don't worry we have known people come with less than 15k and they have landed on their feet. It all boils down to how you live in the UK, if you are on a high wage and like to spend then yes you may find it really hard arriving in Oz and being on a strict budget. However, if you have a job to walk in to then I would say go for it, although, please be warned that the job you may have ready for you over here might not work out, we have had people hate their job and after 2 weeks quit and then really struggle to get more work. So try and keep some money to one side in case your out of work for a few weeks/months. Like everything in life you just need to use your common sense and I am sure you all have that lol:).

Also remember that when your buying from scratch it can soon drain all your money, a car could be $10k and then for furniture and a electrical items (fridge/freezer) could be another $5 - $10k

Not everyone has lots of money to come with and if it was the choice of staying in the UK or giving it a go in Oz I would definately be on the next plane out.

Kirk..that is so negative! Tell me exactly why you need more than 5k if you have a job to start immediately? Because I don't see that you do? Plenty of people set up home in the Uk with far less?

It's not stopping us..Christ..we have enought to worry about as it is..I'll worry about having no money when I get there..I'm sure the surroundings will ease the pain of being skint just a little bit

We came with less than 10k......partner had a job to come to, so that was a bit easier...but within three weeks here, i had got a job the same as in London and on a lot more money, 6 months on we have now bought our first home. A small appartment, with al our savings as a deposit, but.......were on so much more money, its cheaper here, and lots of things to do for free......so its worked out just fine.....JUST DO IT!!!:wink:

My OH eventually agreed to come to Oz but he refused point blank to sell the house sooo...........

18 months ago we left Scotland with our suitcases and a credit card in case of emergencies. Literally apart from about $1500 this was what we had!! any other cash had paid for shipping and applications, but you only get one chance at life eh.

My OH got in touch with every job agency in Brisbane and on the Gold Coast and arranged interviews with them all for the first week we landed. We landed at 7pm on a monday and at 9am on the tuesday he had his first interview. By the friday he had a job. A temp job but a job. 8 weeks later he started the job he is still doing. We bought a car in the first few weeks on credit (now paid off), and in August we bought a house:eek: which we have now been living in for a year this month.

We took a huge gamble and it paid off. It comes down to attitude, my OH was prepared to work in bunnings if he had to. As it happened the leg work he had done in the UK by staying up till all hours and arranging interviews paid off and he managed to get a good job. If ur determined to make a go off it in Oz then come and try it. I appreciate that things could have gone the other way for us but had we stayed in the UK we would never have known just how bloody fantastic things would be for us after 18 months of being in Oz.

Lifes to short to watch it pass you by. Take a chance and it could be the best thing you ever did. Hope this helps those that are a bit worried.

Axxxx

P.S. We still have the bl@@ming house in the UK also!!!

My OH eventually agreed to come to Oz but he refused point blank to sell the house sooo...........

18 months ago we left Scotland with our suitcases and a credit card in case of emergencies. Literally apart from about $1500 this was what we had!! any other cash had paid for shipping and applications, but you only get one chance at life eh.

My OH got in touch with every job agency in Brisbane and on the Gold Coast and arranged interviews with them all for the first week we landed. We landed at 7pm on a monday and at 9am on the tuesday he had his first interview. By the friday he had a job. A temp job but a job. 8 weeks later he started the job he is still doing. We bought a car in the first few weeks on credit (now paid off), and in August we bought a house:eek: which we have now been living in for a year this month.

We took a huge gamble and it paid off. It comes down to attitude, my OH was prepared to work in bunnings if he had to. As it happened the leg work he had done in the UK by staying up till all hours and arranging interviews paid off and he managed to get a good job. If ur determined to make a go off it in Oz then come and try it. I appreciate that things could have gone the other way for us but had we stayed in the UK we would never have known just how bloody fantastic things would be for us after 18 months of being in Oz.

Lifes to short to watch it pass you by. Take a chance and it could be the best thing you ever did. Hope this helps those that are a bit worried.

Axxxx

P.S. We still have the bl@@ming house in the UK also!!!

Well done ! You took a gamble and with the right attitude towards life and your new country you succeeded! Determination, that's the difference between success and failure. I am glad you have found "just how bloody fantastic things would be for us after 18 months of being in Oz."

Good onya!

Fiona you are quite right I do not have a job lined up but have planned well ahead for this situation lets just say money is not my problem & if it was i would not go

Guest Charlies Angel

We came with very little. We bought a cheap car and a motorbike for oh. Enough to get by while oh got a job, i had a job to come to! Now we are doing ok. Just put deposit on block of land and hope to be in our own home in 12 months. We dont have kids though. But i think as long as you are careful with your money on arrival then you can make it!:yes:

• 1 month later...

I haven't been on here for ages..things been busy. Feeling bit down lately :cry: we've had no luck selling our house...only one viewing since last September and with prices dropping..if we do sell the amount we're taking to Oz is less than we hoped for...

But after reading all your posts..Ive realised that we are in a lucky position...and when we sell, even for less..we will have alot more than alot of people....I feel positive again...and Ive realised that we've come this far...we cant give up now.

So thanks for making me feel good again:wubclub:...Im looking forward to activating our Visa in February...xxxx

Debbiexx

Guest SkippyRoo

Thanks for all the posts from the less than £10 k to those more fortunate. It's cheered me up no end. We too are sick of living week to week and have thought back to our arrival here in the UK with 2 suitcases each, a dog in quarantine (for six months) and only £200 to our name (the Pound / South African Rand exchange rate being so exhorbitant). We managed then and now, 8 years later we have a car and a motorbike each. We were both in jobs within a week of looking for employment. So we are willing and able to do so again and be back in the warmth! So if you see two people arriving in Brisbane in the very near future, looking rather pale and pastey with two suitcases each, a dog each, a motorbike each then you'll know we've arrived. lol

Thankfully we can live with my Dad in his house so housing won't be a problem for a little while.

Guest tombsc

Due to not being able to sell our flat we will be going with a credit card and not alot else!

Hoping to get jobs within a month, then hopefully will be settled by the time the UK market picks up and we can decide whether to sell the flat or keep it as an investment.

Due to not being able to sell our flat we will be going with a credit card and not alot else!

Hoping to get jobs within a month, then hopefully will be settled by the time the UK market picks up and we can decide whether to sell the flat or keep it as an investment.

Tell your card provider you are goin to oz even for a holiday else you will get blocked speak from experience

Mally

Guest mattanlisa
Hi,

I came with about 3 thousand , started job soon after i arrived (457 visa) and had a fully furnished rental to come too. Only real outlay was rental bond, but i am on the look out for cheap car now. As a lone parent i had no money in the UK, very little here-but life is better!!!!!!!

Youve really inspired us! Good for you! good to hear that you're not interested in the profit of emigrating like some are.

Guest ianpyne

My wife and I are looking to emigrate to Adelaide with our two kids (2 1/2 and 4 months).The visa application is underway,points test passed etc.We are selling our house and will have £100k or thereabouts.Going to rent initially while we get jobs if we don't have any lined up before we come.Property seems very reasonable in and around Adelaide,can anyone point us in the best location.

My wife and I are looking to emigrate to Adelaide with our two kids (2 1/2 and 4 months).The visa application is underway,points test passed etc.We are selling our house and will have £100k or thereabouts.Going to rent initially while we get jobs if we don't have any lined up before we come.Property seems very reasonable in and around Adelaide,can anyone point us in the best location.

do not panic sell your house as by the sound of your post at the very early stage. The visa if 176 will take months or even 2 years.

Guest ianpyne

We are lucky that we can move in with my inlaws if our house sells.We decided it is better to put it on the market now as it may take an age to sell. Yes visa is in early stage application and we are aware of the time scale involoved,but we are lucky to have a place to live if we sell quickly.

• 1 month later...

Hi we will be taking 14,500. I've got my own thread, to be honest the replies i got were a bit scary..think we will be living in a cardboard box and eating baked beans for a while lol jen

Guest tigers08

we are going with nothing now as we have dropped the house by 20k just to get rid as there not selling we will be lucky to make 9k now but have place to stay when we get there but verry scary to start over but we are doing it for us and our kids good luck everyone :hug:

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Madai and Paula

hello

we had a job sorted and after we paid removal flights we came over with 2000 pounds

Guest snow white

we came over 2 years ago wiht only 5k paid rent 6 months in advance to give us some time to find a job and make sure we at least had a roof over our heads we have managed it hasnt been easy but we did manage and we have 6 kids

lesley x

• 1 month later...
Guest MartinandKaroline

My husband and I came out with 10,000 grand and survived. We would have liked more but it wasn't possible. What saved us was staying with a friend for 6 weeks until we found a place to rent, if we hadn't done this then most of our money would have been eaten up on a serviced apartment or hotel. Our main outlays were bond and one month's rent, fridge, TV and sofa. We also bought a car for about 4000. My husband was lucky enough to find a job two weeks after we arrived so best advice is, if you can, stay with someone you know while you find your feet, and get a job as soon as possible - no treating it like a holiday I'm afraid!

Good luck.

Guest MartinandKaroline

My husband and I came out with 10,000 grand and survived. We would have liked more but it wasn't possible. What saved us was staying with a friend for 6 weeks until we found a place to rent, if we hadn't done this then most of our money would have been eaten up on a serviced apartment or hotel. Our main outlays were bond and one month's rent, fridge, TV and sofa. We also bought a car for about $4000. My husband was lucky enough to find a job two weeks after we arrived so best advice is, if you can, stay with someone you know while you find your feet, and get a job as soon as possible - no treating it like a holiday I'm afraid!

Good luck.

Archived