Who has or is going to oz with £10k or less

Guest mandisfam

Guest Ms_Fi

Have you thought about how much rent is going to be in Sydney? We're looking at the Hunter Valley and rent is going to be about $350-$400 a week plus a bond.

• Replies 403
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest glossyoz

Yep!!

We will sell OH's car, sell all the contents in our house (we rent so can't get any money from selling it! Dont think our landlord would be too please!!) & what ever savings we have from now til then!!

I would estimate around £3000.

There is also 3 of us, myself, OH & our little boy.

If we go Sydney side we can stay with my cousin, if not then..... eek! I dont know!!

Regards

Natalie

Guest Anna uk

Hi everyone,

I'm a newbie and what a great thread to get started on. I am so glad to hear that some of you are not taking much money over with you, I think after we have paid for the flights and our goods to be sent over (this must be cheaper than buying eberything again!) we will only have about £2'000 so we are not going over with much either!!

But surely if we want it to work, a little bit of hard graft once there won't kill us...I mean thats what we are doing here in the UK without even trying just to make our lives comfortable!! :err:

Guest MoreSkippy

Hi Anna and welcome on board. I am a newbie too.

We are on the same boat as you with money (And my OH is called Anna too!! - sure you aren't....No you're from Durham!) - phew!

Anyway, we know that where we want to stay in Sydney, which is a place called Dee Why in Manly - north Sydney, the rent is an average of $400 dollares per week. If I get LAFHA, we'll be alright...

Otherwise...Like I said, it will be beans on barbie!!!

At least, the sun will be out!!! :)

Have you got a job lined up in OZ?

Guest The McT's

don't know where you're headed but we could not secure a decent house rental in the lower blue mountains (after 8 weeks daily intensive searching) without paying a qtr year upfront in cash (in addition to the usual bond), that spoke of our desperation to secure a property, following discussion with the agent.

Our area may be exceptional because of the RAAF families wanting housing locally, but I have heard 1 or 2 mths in advance is becoming the norm - even out here - in the outermost western suburbs (from locals who are dreading their lease anniversaries, when terms are up for re-negotiation).

We went to EVERY open view & lease view in a 5km area over 2months. It was a nightmare, a total landlord's market, some of the houses were shocking!

Also make sure you have work, personal banking & some form of housing reference, to give to the leting agent if you want to rent, the more the better.

We asked our UK estate agents to email details of our UK house to the letting agents with a cover letter to say we did not live like pigs & our property was well maintained etc.

Sorry to strike a -ve tone but this was our reality in Jan this year. I hope that other areas still have lots of rentals & you can get in with the standard advance & deposit.

Guest MoreSkippy

Hey Mct, great insight mate. Thanks for that.

How you finding OZ so far? Has it lived up to your expectations (I know it may be too early yet but surely you can guage something...)

It would be difficult for us to get any reference from any agents as we haven't rented in the last 6 years.

Is there anything else we could provide off hand as refs to the agents?

What's the diff between open and lease view? (Is open means you're intending to purchase?)

Sorry if I sound so dumb...

Guest Anna uk

As for a job I dont have one lined up over there yet but I have a few options I can go down, I have my heavy goods and PCV licence and I am trying to get into the Police over here in UK and I am upto the medical phase so fingers crossed so I was hoping that will help me once I am over. My other half is a nurse and we will be looking for a job closer to the time as my oh has a friend who will be helping with the job front.

we are only up to the medical phase of the visa so not sure how long it will take from here...will start looking soon I think.

Guest gothicqueen

Fab thread!!!

Ive been worrying myself silly over this as all our money will come when we sell the house (notice the when not If!!) we were anticipating having around £30k but with the house prices dropping we may have to take much less, we have two cars to sell here too which should net us around another £5k.

We are budgeting on having enough to pay 6 months rent and the bond plus one or possibly 2 cheap runabouts (I dont do walking!!!)

We have three kids but are planning on taking everything we own with us so wont have the expense of buying furniture when we get there

Good to see some people are going with much less and are not concerned about it, its put my mind at rest abit!!!

Guest MoreSkippy
Fab thread!!!

Ive been worrying myself silly over this as all our money will come when we sell the house (notice the when not If!!) we were anticipating having around £30k but with the house prices dropping we may have to take much less, we have two cars to sell here too which should net us around another £5k.

We are budgeting on having enough to pay 6 months rent and the bond plus one or possibly 2 cheap runabouts (I dont do walking!!!)

We have three kids but are planning on taking everything we own with us so wont have the expense of buying furniture when we get there

Good to see some people are going with much less and are not concerned about it, its put my mind at rest abit!!!

Hey Goth Queen, you know that kids just love playing in the water when it's sunny, get excited when they see dolphins or parrots and are happy to make new friends wherever they go.So in terms of my daughter (who's into goth btw! - not sure if you are or you're just using this pseudoname), she really is not demanding at all. All you have to do to her is explain the situation...Anyway, we may struggle at first but hopefully things will be better.

To be honest, I'd rather struggle in a country where it's beautiful (Sun's out, beaches are beautiful, most people are friendly - even if they may say something nasty at least they talk to you! and you can see parrots flying about !!! as well dolphins in the sea...Although you also see sharks...:sad:)

So come on fellow Brits!

Guest gothicqueen
Hey Goth Queen, you know that kids just love playing in the water when it's sunny, get excited when they see dolphins or parrots and are happy to make new friends wherever they go.So in terms of my daughter (who's into goth btw! - not sure if you are or you're just using this pseudoname), she really is not demanding at all. All you have to do to her is explain the situation...Anyway, we may struggle at first but hopefully things will be better.

To be honest, I'd rather struggle in a country where it's beautiful (Sun's out, beaches are beautiful, most people are friendly - even if they may say something nasty at least they talk to you! and you can see parrots flying about !!! as well dolphins in the sea...Although you also see sharks...:sad:)

So come on fellow Brits!

LOL yes I am a sad ageing goth (my pic is of me and my hubby I have a thing for vampires too!!) :mask:

Im not too worried about the kids, they will be fine especially the 5 and 11 year old, so long as Amelia has an internet connection she will be a happy little EMO too! (or as happy as emos get LOL) :jiggy:

Its more the houseing/lack of job/car situation that worried me, and going back to renting after owning a house too......... but you are totally right we are going there for a better quality of life and to maybe get abit of sun on this gothic white skin of mine!!!!!!:goofy:

Guest stockies
Hi everyone,

I'm a newbie and what a great thread to get started on. I am so glad to hear that some of you are not taking much money over with you, I think after we have paid for the flights and our goods to be sent over (this must be cheaper than buying eberything again!) we will only have about £2'000 so we are not going over with much either!!

But surely if we want it to work, a little bit of hard graft once there won't kill us...I mean thats what we are doing here in the UK without even trying just to make our lives comfortable!! :err:

Hi Anna, Welcome to PIO, whereabouts in Durham do you live, I live just outside city in Belmont.

Guest melissa

We bought some land in Aus last year and should have enough from the house sale to pay off the mortgage here, pay off for the land out there, get there and just enough to build the house. But there will be nothing left.

We're a bit worried about turning up with next to no money, but hope to coincide it with the house out there being nearly finished. I had dreams of a boat, a swimming pool and a big ute. But we'll be happy with a bit of nice weather.

Like all of us, if only we'd moved out there a year ago.

But once we get there i'm sure it'll be worth it.

Guest MoreSkippy
LOL yes I am a sad ageing goth (my pic is of me and my hubby I have a thing for vampires too!!) :mask:

Im not too worried about the kids, they will be fine especially the 5 and 11 year old, so long as Amelia has an internet connection she will be a happy little EMO too! (or as happy as emos get LOL) :jiggy:

Its more the houseing/lack of job/car situation that worried me, and going back to renting after owning a house too......... but you are totally right we are going there for a better quality of life and to maybe get abit of sun on this gothic white skin of mine!!!!!!:goofy:

Cool to hear you're a goth.

About housing and renting, you need to see the bigger picture which is that you're just arriving to that country and as such, need time to buy a house etc..I am sure even the locals rent. You'll get used to it...Hopefully, you'll find a decent landlord/lady...

You know what I was thinking?

We should club together, all the Brits in OZ, and maybe start an emergency fund for any Brit who is in desperate situation in OZ, with a maximum one-off payment of a lump sum and this could be repayable at a later stage when the person is back to their feet.

We could all contribute to it. Have someone manage it too.

We should look after ourselves otherwise who will??

Anyon thinks the same?

Guest Abdabs

It never ceases to amaze me the guts and determination of the people on this site.

I am lucky enough to have a bit of money behind me and also my sister is already in Perth.

Without that there would be no way I could go through with the move.

My hat goes off to everyone and is why I love this site.

Guest Helaine

looks like we will defo be only taking 10k, we have just dropped the house right down to our lowest price, still i would go with just my bags and furniture, whats money when you have health and happiness, ok so it will be hard but i'm sure we will all get through it....well i know i will with my oh and kids.

Guest mandy1

Hi all

My attitude has always been that you may as well struggle here than struggle in the Uk, at least its sunnier here!

Mandy x

Keily, you're right..We'll need a car so we'll be applying for a car through NOVATED lease..We'll also be applying for LAFHA, though this is still in negotiation...It's definitely looking like, at best, around 1 and 1/2 k (£) at the mo....

We are just three people, my OH and a 9 year old girl (big Mylie Cyrus fan!!. Hopefully, we'll be alright.

We have a property in uk but won't be selling as we are giving OZ a two year run before deciding to emigrate for good!!

Oh God, I am scared now!

But hey, if it works out, it'd be good and if it doesn't so what? we'll put it down to experience...

Any other Brit who's going with almost ZILCH wonga???

At the risk of appearing negative - I am assuming you are coming out on a 457 visa? If so, have you factored in school fees for your daughter? NSW charge about $4500 per student per year for people on temporary visas. If you opt for the catholic system, fees are lower but still $2-3K pa. I believe the govt fees are payable up front too. Perhaps you have organized with your employer to foot that bill for you or, if not, perhaps you could do so.

Other than that - we came here many many years ago with no money and just a scholarship to see us through. It wasnt easy but we did it. If you are coming here with a job and a willingness to perhaps get another to see you through the hard times then yes it can be done but you will have to be very focussed on the way that you do it.

Great thread....as another newbie I'm feeling a bit green around the gills...getting to know what's what....terminology etc

Oh and so glad someone mentioned about the school fees on 457 visa....had NO idea about that.

We estimate we will have about £20K/30K to take with us......depends how housing market issues develop over next few months/year. Should sell for £140K, less mortgage balance and pay off a loan, (no credit cards to pay off thankfully) solicitors and estage agent fees ets leaves £27K, less shipping costs of furniture etc (est £3k ? anyone know how much it generally costs?), sale of our cars + £4K ish, less flights.....ooh how much ARE ONE WAY FLIGHTS these days?..... say £2k ?.....should leave us with erm...ooh about 25K

I would be very happy to to be able to take that much with us as we would both want a car... would have enough for bonds and rent etc and allow us to put some away too.........

The cost of the application process is ongoing...we have a small amount in bank at the moment....and can manage to put £300 ish away each month towards the various costs that will arise......also having a massive clear out at spring bank holiday.....see if we have owt worth selling on ebay/car boots etc...rest will get chucked in a skip..but at least it's a job out of the way!

I will be heading out with very little. About 2k:err:However we do have a home to go to till we can find a rental and dh does have a job to go back to.

Guest taffy 62

We came out with no money at all!

My hubbys job gave us $2,000 setteling in allowance and put us up in a hotel for 2 weeks.

He had to work a month in advance as he got paid monthly.

we paid for the rent and bond and got a fridge and that was it. had to walk everywhere, ate off paper plates with plastic cutlery! had a three year old and 9 month old.

We survived till first pay day bought an old banger of a car for $900.00

But we survived and are still here, got to the stage where we paid off the mortage, had a 4 bedroom house with inground pool backing onto a golf course. so it can be done on next to nothing. as long as you get work straight away and budget hard.

Realistically, allow 6 x $400 for rent $1,000 for a fridge, 6 x $400 for houskeeping If you have school age kids allow for uniforms and books, you should get a runaround car for about $5,000 nothing flash but will get you from a to b.

if you have furniture arriving it may be better to rent a furnished apartment until it arrives, else you have to buy beds and bedding which isnt cheap! (we slept on the floor for a while lol) plus you have to have something to sit on!

So ten thousand should see you through as long as you get work quickly.

Guest MoreSkippy
We came out with no money at all!

My hubbys job gave us $2,000 setteling in allowance and put us up in a hotel for 2 weeks.

He had to work a month in advance as he got paid monthly.

we paid for the rent and bond and got a fridge and that was it. had to walk everywhere, ate off paper plates with plastic cutlery! had a three year old and 9 month old.

We survived till first pay day bought an old banger of a car for $900.00

But we survived and are still here, got to the stage where we paid off the mortage, had a 4 bedroom house with inground pool backing onto a golf course. so it can be done on next to nothing. as long as you get work straight away and budget hard.

Realistically, allow 6 x $400 for rent $1,000 for a fridge, 6 x $400 for houskeeping If you have school age kids allow for uniforms and books, you should get a runaround car for about $5,000 nothing flash but will get you from a to b.

if you have furniture arriving it may be better to rent a furnished apartment until it arrives, else you have to buy beds and bedding which isnt cheap! (we slept on the floor for a while lol) plus you have to have something to sit on!

So ten thousand should see you through as long as you get work quickly.

Taffy, you're an inspiration to us all !! :cool:

About school fees, try this link for the actual break down of figures:

DET International - NSW Government Schools

Hopefully, it will help someone.

The school fees are an issue with us. In fact, we are hoping to get LAFHA as part of LAFHA, is for school fees. If not, we will have to sell my laptop (which I just bought for £1000) and use that towards the fees.

We are not trying to make it difficult for us by taking such a meagre amount. We just don't have anymore than that. We have a property and if we do sell it, could bring over quite a tidy sum, but we rather struggle in Sydney and try to make it there in little, knowing that we have a beautiful flat with a very large garden in Hove (close to the sea) waiting if we don't like being there in Sydney. We rather not burn our bridges.

My starting salary is artound $85k (not sure if inc of superann). I am not 100% sure if this ok or decent for Sydney (North Sydney). But that's a starting point.

Hopefully, those members who are clued up about living expenses in Sydney can shed some lights here. Please do so.

It was always my OH and my dream to live in OZ one day. We'll give it a shot . If we succeed, I'll kiss everyone with joy !!! :spinny:

Otherwise, back to blighty and Hove!:nah:

Guest MoreSkippy

Bloody school fees...How unfair is that?? They want the $4,500 per child and want it up front, in full.

Wish they allowed payment by instalments...Anyone heard of anyone paid school fees in smaller chunks?

Don't get me wrong, I don't mind paying it ...I just wish we could pay by installments...

Any brainy people here know anything that could be useful in relation to school fees?

PLEASE RESPOND!

Archived