cost of living OZ vs UK?

mogsandrovers

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply
your right on overall living space in Australia will be larger than the UK, but there's more to life than a bigger house.. I've got a bigger house than you..!!! So bloody what..

Thats true Paul!There is more to life than busting your butt trying to out do the "Jone's"!I can remember on this forum a few years ago,a few people posted they were disappointed with their rellies not visiting them in Oz,cause they now had big houses to show off!I mean come on!Who really cares!

Who would think back in the UK that nowadays you get a garden 10 times bigger in England than you do in Australia. Good luck to anybody buying one but you've been well and truly ripped off.( IMO)

You are dreaming on this one.. have you been round a Persimmon or Barrett or any of the UK new home builder estates recently? No pavements so they can cram more houses in. Three storey townhouses, no front gardens, nowhere to park the car.. My favourite is the fake bricked up windows in walls. If there is anyone ripping anyone off it is the banks that lend the money.

1871761_5591f8ee.jpg

1871761_5591f8ee.jpg

Yes, you are probably right, though, perhaps some parents, not all, just expect their kids to put up with whatever they decide to do? Isn't that part of being a kid. Doing what they say, until they you can fly the coop?

Yes, which is why the parents have a duty of care. I'm not talking about kids who may not want to move: I'm talking about the parents risking homelessness or hunger for the sake of "it's a shame not to do it".

When someone migrates on a temporary visa, they're not entitled to any benefits. So if they arrive and find the money is running out, they have few options: squeeze into smaller (or poorer quality) accommodation, cut back on food, don't take the kids to the doc if they're sick. They may not even have enough money left to get home, considering it's going to cost them $10K just for the air fares. Is it reasonable to risk putting kids through that? I don't think so.

It's good to see that parent posting on these forums - I think that's part of their research, and all the contrary views expressed is giving them more information than you might think. The fact people can't agree on how the cost of living compares is telling in itself: if it really was cheaper in Oz, as some imagine, there would be a lot less scope for different views.

Some of the happiest people in the world (obviously not affected by war and persecution) are the poorest. I suppose the difference for them is they are not surrounded by constant reminders of people who have more and they derive happiness from their family, friends and just have far less expectation in life I suppose. Unfortunately we're surrounded by people who have more than us and often reckon if we have that we'll be happier. Walk down the street there's a house bigger than yours, there's a car more expensive than yours, your neighbors are always jetting off for holidays here there and everywhere. Open the papers and celebrities with more money than talent are idolized and envied.

House prices are dominated by greed here and in UK, sad state of affairs. People are obsessed with how much their house is worth. And if I invite friends round one evening I'm just as happy to entertain them in my small home as its their company I want, nothing else.

You are dreaming on this one.. have you been round a Persimmon or Barrett or any of the UK new home builder estates recently? No pavements so they can cram more houses in. Three storey townhouses, no front gardens, nowhere to park the car.. My favourite is the fake bricked up windows in walls. If there is anyone ripping anyone off it is the banks that lend the money.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]26643[/ATTACH]

the uk struggles with land, Australia is bigger than europe. At least the houses in that picture hav a bit of character , look quite nice

the uk struggles with land, Australia is bigger than europe. At least the houses in that picture hav a bit of character , look quite nice

Hmmm, strange that you should say that about the UK struggling with land, when we have had other posters on here saying that only about 10% of the UK is urbanised. That should leave plenty of land to build homes with gardens. I can recall going to visit some people around 40 years ago who lived on a new estate in Manchester, and wondering then why they had such a tiny garden, with just enough room for one car in the driveway. No garage of course. Not much has changed it seems.

Hmmm, strange that you should say that about the UK struggling with land, when we have had other posters on here saying that only about 10% of the UK is urbanised. That should leave plenty of land to build homes with gardens. I can recall going to visit some people around 40 years ago who lived on a new estate in Manchester, and wondering then why they had such a tiny garden, with just enough room for one car in the driveway. No garage of course. Not much has changed it seems.

I'll say it for the last time... We live in a country bigger than Europe so can you please tell me why newbuild houses in Australia don't have gardens ...? Greed by any chance.. Back to the UK and a large percentage of land is green belt, which as far as I know is being looked at for building on. I was back 18 months ago and looked at newbuilds in royal Tunbridge wells and can assure you 100% that the gardens were larger.not big by any means but still larger than the patio you get in newbuilds here.

I'll say it for the last time... We live in a country bigger than Europe so can you please tell me why newbuild houses in Australia don't have gardens ...? Greed by any chance..

Curious as to who you think is being greedy? The council who release the land slowly, the developer who wants to maximise the number of houses, the buyer who wants a adult nook, cinema room and five bedrooms or the banks who ultimately set the prices through lending?

Average size of a new Aussie home, 206sqm on a 400+sqm block. Whereas in the UK (avg size 70sqm):

[h=1]New houses are too small, research finds[/h] [h=2]Newly-built houses are too cramped to swing a cat, with many Britons finding that their homes are too small to store a vacuum cleaner or the weekly food shop, according to the Royal Institute of British Architects (RIBA).[/h]http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/9267158/New-houses-are-too-small-research-finds.html

No thanks, will stick to my small 150sqm house on a quarter acre block in the burbs..

Curious as to who you think is being greedy? The council who release the land slowly, the developer who wants to maximise the number of houses, the buyer who wants a adult nook, cinema room and five bedrooms or the banks who ultimately set the prices through lending?

Average size of a new Aussie home, 206sqm on a 400+sqm block. Whereas in the UK (avg size 70sqm):

New houses are too small, research finds

Newly-built houses are too cramped to swing a cat, with many Britons finding that their homes are too small to store a vacuum cleaner or the weekly food shop, according to the Royal Institute of British Architects (RIBA).

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/9267158/New-houses-are-too-small-research-finds.html

No thanks, will stick to my small 150sqm house on a quarter acre block in the burbs..

Not bothered about size of house, more worried about size of garden... The old " my house is bigger than your house " yawn..

Not bothered about size of house, more worried about size of garden... The old " my house is bigger than your house " yawn..

but there you have the answer: Australians value bigger houses than gardens.. They want butler's pantries, rumpus rooms, laundries.... You want a bigger garden buy a smaller house in the older suburbs..

but there you have the answer: Australians value bigger houses than gardens.. They want butler's pantries, rumpus rooms, laundries.... You want a bigger garden buy a smaller house in the older suburbs..

Out door lifestyle rammed down people's throats...? And in my eyes location of house, train station , local shops, pubs and access to cities and towns are high on my list.

I'll say it for the last time... We live in a country bigger than Europe so can you please tell me why newbuild houses in Australia don't have gardens ...?

I can't speak for where you live but I can assure you that plenty of new builds in Oz do have gardens...at least they do in my part of Oz.

However, the availability of land is only one factor in determining block/house size.

1. A major cost in new building areas is the provision of services - water, sewerage, gas, electricity etc. - where there there was absolutely none before. Smaller blocks make this more affordable.

2. A major complaint about Australian cities - including by posters on this very forum in the past - is the suburban sprawl, necessitating miles of driving from and to anywhere. Planners are trying to alleviate this by making new developments more compact.

3. Many people don't want gardens. For them it is just something else to maintain in a busy lifestyle. It may not be you or me...but that is their choice.

I can't speak for where you live but I can assure you that plenty of new builds in Oz do have gardens...at least they do in my part of Oz.

However, the availability of land is only one factor in determining block/house size.

1. A major cost in new building areas is the provision of services - water, sewerage, gas, electricity etc. - where there there was absolutely none before. Smaller blocks make this more affordable.

2. A major complaint about Australian cities - including by posters on this very forum in the past - is the suburban sprawl, necessitating miles of driving from and to anywhere. Planners are trying to alleviate this by making new developments more compact.

3. Many people don't want gardens. For them it is just something else to maintain in a busy lifestyle. It may not be you or me...but that is their choice.

You live in Tasmania, say no more . Never read so much bullshit as well

I think Skani is right about people not wanting gardens - certainly it's the case in Sydney. I see families with one or two kids buying a nice old three- or four-bedroom house in Sydney with a big garden, then knocking it down and building a 5 bedroom house with a media room, rumpus room, "loggia" (indoor/outdoor deck), study, sewing room, triple garage yadda yadda - the result is the house goes right up to the edges of the block with a postage stamp lawn at the back. Of course the barbecue is on the loggia so grass isn't necessary.

Note, these are people choosing the size of their house, not people being forced to give up their garden. Go to any new development round Sydney where people build their own homes, and you'll see they're all MacMansions with hardly any garden at all. So it's no surprise that when developers build a spec home, they do the same thing - they know it's what buyers want.

In Sydney, land is at a premium because of the mountains. The government has been converting valuable agricultural land to housing for years, which will eventually be a problem because so much of the land away from the coast isn't suitable for growing fruit and veg.

Out door lifestyle rammed down people's throats...? And in my eyes location of house, train station , local shops, pubs and access to cities and towns are high on my list.

I have to agree with you in Melbourne anyway big houses very small gardens, units have just what I would call a yard at the back. Outdoor living does not happen In Melbourne we have crap weather 6 months of the year.

I have to agree with you in Melbourne anyway big houses very small gardens, units have just what I would call a yard at the back. Outdoor living does not happen In Melbourne we have crap weather 6 months of the year.

So where's the outdoor life style if you have no garden..? It means you have to go out every time to get outside..!!!

Obviously the interstate move hasn't improved the charm quotient.

Just don't belive the 1,2,3 of your points.. So this country will never grow more than 50km outside of major hubs..? They need to build new cities to make use of this land. The Middle East puts us all to shame

Just don't belive the 1,2,3 of your points.. So this country will never grow more than 50km outside of major hubs..? They need to build new cities to make use of this land. The Middle East puts us all to shame

Middle east also happens to be quite a wealthy region... Maybe it is the oil... :chatterbox:

No oil in dubia.. This is a very rich country in terms of what's under the ground

I really don't want to get personal, but are you really suggesting that Dubai isn't wealthy because of oil? Australia just doesn't have the tax take to expand at the rate of the Arab nations. It is that simple.

Investment must be coming in somehow.. No oil though

Dubai's gross domestic product as of 2011 was US $83.4 billion.[89] Although Dubai's economy was built on the back of the oil industry,[90] revenues from oil and natural gas currently account for less than 7% of the emirate's revenues.[9] It is estimated that Dubai produces 50,000 to 70,000 barrels (11,000 m3) of oil a day[91] and substantial quantities of gas from offshore fields. The emirate's share in UAE's gas revenues is about 2%. Dubai's oil reserves have diminished significantly and are expected to be exhausted in 20 years.[92] Real estate and construction (22.6%),[11] trade (16%), entrepôt (15%) and financial services (11%) are the largest contributors to Dubai's economy.[93] Dubai's top exporting destinations include India (US$5.8 billion), Switzerland (US$2.37 billion) and Saudi Arabia (US$0.57 billion). Dubai's top re-exporting destinations include India (US$6.53 billion), Iran (US$5.8 billion) and Iraq (US$2.8 billion). The emirate's top import sources are India (US$12.55 billion), China (US$11.52 billion) and the United States (US$7.57 billion). As of 2009, India was Dubai's largest trade partner.

Archived