Abbot govmint Gaffe Watch

Harpodom

I read the report on your link but it does not refer to mainstream papers refusing to have anything to do with it? Yes, it was independent journos who first asked for information about expenses, but then these were 'leaked' to the Telegraph, which could have chosen not to publish them.

Anyway, it does not matter if the journos work for a paper or are freelance, they do the same job. There's plenty of hypocrisy around too. People who hate Rupert Murdoch wanted his Australian papers subjected to an inquiry when there was zero evidence of anything similar to The News Of The World happening here.

At least the UK has 'Private Eye!'

• Replies 516
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 months later...
We need to raise taxes and cut expenditure as the budget is in terrible shape.

I would propose broadening the base of the gst to everything, so fresh food, health cared, education etc.

You can't just bleat and bleat about every saving that is proposed.

We have a very severe problem we need solutions not bleating.

Australia's deficit is tiny, the problem is that there has been a refusal by the right to recognise there was a huge need for investment to update infrastructure and the economy ready for the coĺlapse of the resources boom which any fool knew couldn't last and now it's too late to do any modernisation and the right are putting up a smokescreen about how the deficit has to be solved in the hope nobody will actually pin them down on all the money squandered on their dire little obsessions like submarines and 'stop the boats, they are truely pathetic , they couldn't run a 'p*ss up in a brewery.

And the old right wing trick of blaming scapegoats is their favourite way of getting their own way, it's either communists, lefties or immigrants, or jews or muslims, mix and match for every failing.

• 4 weeks later...

Did I hear it right on various news sources today? On the one hand there is huge trumpet-blowing about the Government allocating $4million spread over four years in funding for victims of forced adoption (obviously a good thing but probably should have a lot more) but on the other hand (and kept a little bit quieter from the main stream media) they are also allocating $4million to a well known climate change sceptic to set up a "Concensus Centre" in WA - this a man who has been described as a "performance artist disguised as an academic". http://wattsupwiththat.com/2015/04/17/aussie-government-gives-4-million-to-bjorn-lomborg-to-set-up-a-consensus-centre/

One of the biggest gaffs has to be spending $650 million not to build a road you couldn't make this up its the stuff of Hollywood films, and we wonder why things are going pear shaped. It's time that these clowns became accountable.

Abbott???

Or Dan Andrews Labor government???

I used to think me and you would get on maryrose but I'm not so sure now.. With the constant leftie stuff

I usually avoid politics when I'm out socially with people! But I cannot lie, I am a Tory! (and maybe I would vote for UKIP if I was still living in the UK.)

Anyway, political views should not get in the way of friendship. A good sense of humour is more important.

Joe Hockey, what a pillock! I really cannot see what his issue is with wind farms....

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-09-16/wind-farms-ruin-the-landscape-and-look-appalling-hockey/5748346

Wind farms are ruining the landscape and are 'appalling', Treasurer Joe Hockey says

Federal Treasurer Joe Hockey has made more critical comments about the way wind farms look, describing them as "appalling".

Mr Hockey said renewable energy was "hugely important" but believed wind turbines were ruining beautiful bits of the Australian landscape.

In May, he said the wind farm at Lake George near Canberra was "utterly offensive" and a "blight on the landscape".

Today, at the Bloomberg Summit in Sydney he was asked if he would repeat the comments.

"Yes, I would," Mr Hockey said.

"You know renewable energy is hugely important and it's a part of the fabric of the development of diverse energy supply right around the world.

"But you know we've got some beautiful landscapes in Australia and frankly putting up those towers is just to me quite appalling in those places."

Mr Hockey again singled out the Capital Wind Farm and the landscape around Lake George.

"I drive from Sydney to Canberra on Sundays to go to Parliament and I just look at those wind farms around Lake George and I'm just appalled at a beautiful landscape ruined," he said.

"Just for all the 'greenies' in the audience, if they built a huge coal fired power station there, I would be equally appalled. So, it's just an aesthetic view."

Hockey's comments 'utterly unhelpful'

Infigen Energy, the company that owns the Capital Wind Farm, is not amused by the comments.

Managing director Miles George has been outspoken in his criticism of the Abbott Government's approach to the renewable energy sector and said Mr Hockey's comments were "utterly unhelpful".

"I just don't think it's appropriate to contemplate that the view of one motorist 10 kilometres away from the wind farm is relevant in any discussion of renewably energy generally," he said.

Audio: Wind farms ruin the landscape and look 'appalling': Hockey (PM)

"As I understand it, Mr Hockey, poor people don't drive cars so they wouldn't see that wind farm anyway. Perhaps that's the counter to that argument."

The Government is currently considering how to respond to a review of the nation's Renewable Energy Target.

The review chaired by leading businessman and climate sceptic, Dick Warburton, found the economy would be $22 billion better off by removing cross-subsidies given to renewable energy generators and recommended closing down the scheme to new companies or watering down the target.

Mr George said Mr Hockey's comments were poorly timed.

"Of course I accept people have different views about [renewable energy]," he said.

"But when the Treasurer of the country says things like that during a review that's a very sad state of affairs."

Opposition Leader Bill Shorten was promoting the benefits of renewable energy on a trip to Tasmania today.

"The locals want the jobs they want the wind farms but what they need is a government in Canberra that understands renewable energy is not some 'green' plot instead it's a sensible part of our energy mix and sustainable energy mix going forward", he said.

And massive gapping holes cut into what was once a beautiful landscape, to dig up coal that the world is turning against is not an eye sore ? Gee give me a wind farm anyday.

Another day, another chance for one of Abott's 'ministers' to prove how out of touch they are with 'real Aussies' (© Dave)

http://m.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/christopher-pyne-denies-12-per-cent-youth-unemployment-is-a-crisis-20140930-10nsm2.html#ixzz3EjjFb3gh

Christopher Pyne denies 12 per cent youth unemployment is a 'crisis'

Jane Lee September 30, 2014

Article%20Lead%20-%20narrow6157634610nsm9image.related.articleLeadNarrow.353x0.10nsm2.png1412024340490.jpg-200x0.jpgQ&A: 'I'm not going to get into an argument with the audience.'"> Christopher Pyne told Q&A: 'I'm not going to get into an argument with the audience.' Photo: Andrew Meares

Education Minister Christopher Pyne denies that youth unemployment - about 12 per cent on average - has reached a "crisis" point.

Mr Pyne, who appeared on ABC's Q&A program on Monday night, was asked repeatedly by panel and audience members about youth unemployment rates and how they were linked to problems in the public education system.

A Brotherhood of St Laurence analysis of Australian Bureau of Statistics data earlier this year showed about 12.4 per cent of people aged between 15 and 24 were out of work in the year to January. Fairfax Media has reported the average Victorian youth unemployment rate hit a 15-year high for the year to July 2014.

Q&A host Tony Jones asked whether the Coalition should place youth unemployment on a "crisis agenda to try and fix this?"

"There isn't a crisis. There certainly is an emphasis from the Coalition on young people either learning or earning so when they leave school – and happily more people are finishing year 12 which gives them a better chance of getting a job – more people are going on to higher education than ever before," Mr Pyne replied.

Actor Tony Barry noted that many of the audience members were young: "I wonder whether they consider this a crisis in the education system?"

A number shouted out "Yes."

"I'm not going to get into an argument with the audience," Mr Pyne joked.

The Coalition plans to remove government caps on university fees from 2016, which critics have said could see the cost of degrees rise, discouraging lower-income students from entering university.

Mr Pyne defended university fee systems, saying Australia had one of the most "generous" student loan systems in the world. The number of students going to university had "exponentially increased" since fees were re-introduced by the Hawke-Keating Labor government, he said.

He called the Whitlam government's free education model a "disaster", saying more people of a low socio-economic status were attending university now than ever before.

"The Whitlam free education model meant that the poorest people in Australia paid for middle-class and high income Australians to go to university who would've gone otherwise. And the rate of low (socio-economic status) people going to university did not change at all because of free education."

A public high school teacher in the audience challenged Mr Pyne's comments, saying that she had students who were choosing different electives because they could not afford the course fees.

"My Year 12 students this year, because of the huge rise in tertiary education fees, are making different choices now. They come from families where to take on a HECS debt of that size is something the family and the student do not feel comfortable about."

A requirement of being elected as an MP should be that they are required to live on unemployment in a homeless shelter for one month, lest see if that changes there thoughts and ideas !

No it is Andrew's Labor government.

Napthine was going to build it.

Something very rotten at the base of this though when just before the Libs got voted out (which was pretty much a foregone conclusion at that stage) they brought in huge cancellation fees for the contractors.... http://www.macrobusiness.com.au/2015/04/coalition-blame-east-west-link-debacle/

I didn't really agree with that either but it wasn't illegal.

Andrews promised he wouldn't pay any compensation because he thought the contract was invalid.

But it seems he is paying compo.

It certainly wasn't illegal, just disgraceful. Just a vindictive attempt to discredit a successor government using hundreds of millions of dollars of Victorian taxpayers' money.