Abbot govmint Gaffe Watch

Harpodom

It's not about being critical, it's about just being gob smacked at how parochial Australia is and how lacking in finesse Australian politicians can be and how resistant Australia is to change.

I don't understand. How is Australia different to the UK? (I'm assuming you are comparing Australia unfavourably to the UK?) Give some examples comparing Tony Abbott to David Cameron, and Bill Shorten to David Miliband, and then give some more examples about Australia generally.

For instance, 'of the top of my head', Which country Australia or the UK, was more forward in extending democracy to women. Which country has passed more laws protecting the rights of minorities. Which country has actually 'changed' more, assuming that 'change' is actually a good thing. Which country has done more to ban smoking?

And in any case, most people can find ONE NICE THING about a country that they like.

The thing that really irks the 'Abbott-haters' is that last year, and even this year, he made a number of mistakes, including introducing a very unpopular budget, and now he has righted some of those mistake, and introduced a more popular budget this year, and he has jumped back up in the polls. If only he had kept going downhill. If only the LNP had booted him out and replaced him with the 'nice' Liberal, Malcolm Turnbull.

The ironic thing about this year's budget, compared to last year's, if Ross Gittins is to be beliieved in the Herald yesterday, is that Australia NEEDED a nasty budget, but Tony Abbott will probably never introduce one again, meaning we will continue to slip further into debt. Will Bill Shorten 'do the right thing' if he is elected instead? I doubt it.

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 516
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thought I'd share this beauty on here.

I love the scene; 3 wise monkeys congratulating each other on a great meeting, then inadvertently Peter 'Sandwich Short of a Picnic' Dutton goes and shoots himself in the foot [emoji23]

I can just imagine bad day turning good. Shouting at your trouble and strife, the tin lids, the postman. As you stalk the streets impersonating Scrooge snarling at everyone, you get a text from Abbott Watch and the sun bursts through the dark and sullen Victorian clouds. You even pinch some flowers from the park (a Tory Council) to give to yr missus!?

Thought I'd share this beauty on here.

I love the scene; 3 wise monkeys congratulating each other on a great meeting, then inadvertently Peter 'Sandwich Short of a Picnic' Dutton goes and shoots himself in the foot :laugh:

I think you are doing a disservice to the 3 wise monkeys making the comparison.

Will Turnbull start the boats? Bring back the carbon tax? Destroy the FTA?

hope so!

to be brief...... inhumane.... paying backwards industry to pollute..... not in australia's long term interests

in that order ;)

hmmm, in hindsight i hope he doesn't do these things, we need this shower of **** government out!

Edited by flybyknight

Wrong on every count.

Stopping the boats is the most humane people policy in the world. How many deaths this year in the mediterranean ? Anyone counted ? We went from 1200 drownings to 0.

People against the FTA are really just racists at their core.

And the direct action targets for climate change will have more tangible outcomes than the economy destroying carbon tax.

Wrong on every count.

Stopping the boats is the most humane people policy in the world. How many deaths this year in the mediterranean ? Anyone counted ? We went from 1200 drownings to 0.

People against the FTA are really just racists at their core.

And the direct action targets for climate change will have more tangible outcomes than the economy destroying carbon tax.

Actually, we went from 1200 reported drownings to 0 reported drownings. Because the government decided not to tell the public anything they could have actively sunk boats and we wouldn't know about it! Obviously it's unlikely they did but still, the point is clear.

I actually think the boats thing was one of the only successes of this government, and I was deeply sceptical about it at the start. However I feel their general attitude towards refugees and foreign aid is abhorrent. The atrocities at offshore processing sites and cutting aid to the Middle East by 43% at the same time as deciding to use air strikes in Syria is abhorrent.

I'm all for the FTA.

I believe in a market-based solution to climate change, not direct government subsidies, which is more of a leftist approach (aren't conservatives supposed to believe in the market?). I don't think direct action is going to have anywhere near the same impact as a market approach, but Australia is a follower not a leader on this, so it's probably the best of a bad lot.