Abbot govmint Gaffe Watch

Harpodom

So should the mods allow us all to use expletives on PIO 'in moderation to give texture and colour to an argument?' How many of us, from whichever point of view we are arguing from, have to resort to 'F-ing' and 'C-ing' to get our points across?

I would argue that using expletives just shows that the arguer hasn't enough intellect to provide a valid argument, so they resort to swearing to hide their inadequacies.

I don't mind the odd swear word from a comedian, but I hate it when they pepper their act with profanities.

Since when did swearing equal honesty?

they dont directly equate, however internet police aside swearing is usually something people do when they feel comfortable and relaxed.

i'm not suggesting someone who doesn't normally swear starts, but in the modern real world I think it has its place.

• Replies 516
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

they dont directly equate, however internet police aside swearing is usually something people do when they feel comfortable and relaxed.

i'm not suggesting someone who doesn't normally swear starts, but in the modern real world I think it has its place.

So what is the essential difference between that blog that you all love so much and PIO? I would suggest that PIO is much more in the 'modern real world' than that foul-mouthed and incoherent ranter.

If I start peppering my arguments with 'F***' and 'C***' will that make you all suddenly agree with me?

I am 'comfortable and relaxed' when I go down to the cafe outside my unit for my morning cafe. Should I start swearing in there? "I'll have a ****ing coffee and a ****ing bacon and ****ing egg roll.'

FWIW, IMO the blogger in question is much more eloquent, witty and incisive in his writing than any of us!

Note also his contempt for Krudd and Bill Shorten.

Foul mouthed or not, this passage speaks the truth with crystal clarity:

I am sick of listening to the political classes dismiss science as an irrelevance, climate change as a “cult”, and who will then bleat to us, all doe-eyed with modest sincerity, about their devotion to a religious “faith”, a “faith” which preaches tolerance, charity and understanding, whilst at the same time they give the impression they’d willingly BLANKETY BLANK with the blunt end of a Coke bottle for a buck or a vote or a happy headline and hearty endorsement from their media brethren.

FWIW, IMO the blogger in question is much more eloquent, witty and incisive in his writing than any of us!

Note also his contempt for Krudd and Bill Shorten.

Foul mouthed or not, this passage speaks the truth with crystal clarity:

I am sick of listening to the political classes dismiss science as an irrelevance, climate change as a “cult”, and who will then bleat to us, all doe-eyed with modest sincerity, about their devotion to a religious “faith”, a “faith” which preaches tolerance, charity and understanding, whilst at the same time they give the impression they’d willingly BLANKETY BLANK with the blunt end of a Coke bottle for a buck or a vote or a happy headline and hearty endorsement from their media brethren.

Being partial to a rant myself, I think a few well timed expletives convey the writer's passion very eloquently. Personally, I'd have no difficulty to even reading those rants that endlessly reference 'Lefties,' 'Ratbags,' 'Pink Bats,' 'Juliar,' people who commit the sin of comparing Australia(ns) with Briton(s), those of us insufficiently good-natured enough to respond to unanswered threads, and of course the numerous attractions of Sydney's friendliest suburb.....if adorned with some good old-fashioned profanity.

Being partial to a rant myself, I think a few well timed expletives convey the writer's passion very eloquently. Personally, I'd have no difficulty to even reading those rants that endlessly reference 'Lefties,' 'Ratbags,' 'Pink Bats,' 'Juliar,' people who commit the sin of comparing Australia(ns) with Briton(s), those of us insufficiently good-natured enough to respond to unanswered threads, and of course the numerous attractions of Sydney's friendliest suburb.....if adorned with some good old-fashioned profanity.

As one of those 'lefty ratbags'* mate, I have to concur.

*must be true, I was called that on here.

So, I should start inserting 'F***ing' and 'C***' especially when I answer 'Unanswered Threads' and 'F' and 'C' are no more offensive than 'Lefties' & 'Ratbags?' Personally, I believe that if you can't express yourself without using 'F' and 'C', you have already lost the argument.

Well..........

It just got real for the coal fired and nuclear power industry, a battery that will happily run an aussie home for a day

how much?

$4000

$4000 to completely ditch your current energy company for 10-20 years.

no more standing charges, no more 30 cents a Kw.

this price is so low, it makes sense for countries who need electricity to skip over fossil fuels completely and go straight to renewables. the writing is very much on the wall. the power wall evidently......

http://www.teslamotors.com/powerwall

what does this mean for the current system?

well im sure it doesn't need me to tell you this is a full on game changer, we currently generate far more than we need due to losses and peaks, this fixes that in a stroke, one of these on every new build and reasonable uptake in current stock, which is perfectly reasonable and every coal plant could shut tomorrow.

large scale deployment on wind farms would allow them to deal with large peaks allowing the shut down of peaker plants.

its real, its on, and the rest of the world it working towards 2020. we still seem to be sat in 1951!

Well..........

It just got real for the coal fired and nuclear power industry, a battery that will happily run an aussie home for a day

how much?

$4000

$4000 to completely ditch your current energy company for 10-20 years.

no more standing charges, no more 30 cents a Kw.

this price is so low, it makes sense for countries who need electricity to skip over fossil fuels completely and go straight to renewables. the writing is very much on the wall. the power wall evidently......

http://www.teslamotors.com/powerwall

what does this mean for the current system?

well im sure it doesn't need me to tell you this is a full on game changer, we currently generate far more than we need due to losses and peaks, this fixes that in a stroke, one of these on every new build and reasonable uptake in current stock, which is perfectly reasonable and every coal plant could shut tomorrow.

large scale deployment on wind farms would allow them to deal with large peaks allowing the shut down of peaker plants.

its real, its on, and the rest of the world it working towards 2020. we still seem to be sat in 1951!

Sounds great. Can I buy shares in the company? If it is s good as you say it is, I imagine the big power companies will be investing in it.

Sounds great. Can I buy shares in the company? If it is s good as you say it is, I imagine the big power companies will be investing in it.

the company tesla motors is on the stock market and making waves the world over with their cars and now their energy systems.

the car, fastest 5 door car ever made 0-100Kmh 3.2 secs. 500Km range charge at home 500k in the tank. free 20 min fast chargers being rolled out all over australia. expensive atm, but clearly the future. and now this, a cheap scalable power system.

they have also open sourced their patents, they want other companies to do this, they realise they can't save the planet alone.

it's a beautiful thing.

out of principle, whoever comes in on the game, i'll buy tesla products, they are the ones making the biggest waves in the industry and deserve my cash.

on another note, just recently one of the California power utilities was ordered by government to buy 50Mw of grid storage.

they had 2 options, fight it or buy it. They brought almost 300Mw of storage, over 5x's as much.

this isn't just here, it's clearly economically sound too.

• 3 weeks later...

Well he might have had a bump in the polls following Eleventy Joe's 2nd budget, but Village is always just a breath away from opening his gob and insulting vast swathes of people.

Today it was the turn of the unemployed, who, according to Village, are merely slaves to be bought by business owners, who can 'try before they buy'.

http://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2015/may/20/tony-abbott-under-fire-over-try-before-you-buy-jobseeker-comment

Well he might have had a bump in the polls following Eleventy Joe's 2nd budget, but Village is always just a breath away from opening his gob and insulting vast swathes of people.

Today it was the turn of the unemployed, who, according to Village, are merely slaves to be bought by business owners, who can 'try before they buy'.

http://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2015/may/20/tony-abbott-under-fire-over-try-before-you-buy-jobseeker-comment

Sounds like a good initiative to me. Employees sell their labour, in effect - for something called a wage. You can regard that as a form of slavery if you like though. This is just a form of job probation which limits the costs/risk for the employer which is a positive. Long-term unemployed are always going to be seen as a bigger risk to a potential employer.

Harpo, when was the last time that you ever said one, JUST ONE, positive thing about living in Australia?

When was the last time you read a newspaper and looked for a 'good news' story. It could even be about Australia under the ALP, not that there was any more good news under them.

Forget about The Grauniad. They are just like you. They only believe nasty things about Abbott, and they only write nasty things about Abbott.

But the bottom line is, whichever party governs Australia, one of them is going to have to tighten our collective belts.

Harpo, when was the last time that you ever said one, JUST ONE, positive thing about living in Australia?

When was the last time you read a newspaper and looked for a 'good news' story. It could even be about Australia under the ALP, not that there was any more good news under them.

Forget about The Grauniad. They are just like you. They only believe nasty things about Abbott, and they only write nasty things about Abbott.

But the bottom line is, whichever party governs Australia, one of them is going to have to tighten our collective belts.

It's not about being critical, it's about just being gob smacked at how parochial Australia is and how lacking in finesse Australian politicians can be and how resistant Australia is to change.

It's not about being critical, it's about just being gob smacked at how parochial Australia is and how lacking in finesse Australian politicians can be and how resistant Australia is to change.

Strange that you are having a go at Aus about this and the same has been happening in the UK for years. I found his comments a bit strange and Tony Abbot never looks comfortable in front of a crowd.

Sounds like decent policy until you realise it's been done before and what happens is the employer finds some guy on the dole to come and work for him in some menial task for a while and when his time is up he gets the push and the employer gets another one for free. Yep, seen it in the UK when times were tough.

A bit like the YTS brought in by Norman " on your bike " tebbit ,totally exploted by many companies,can remember a local firm taking 30 odd youngsters on a YTS because the government paid for it.

That's the one that instantly sprang to mind Rallyman. I think Maggie would be a hero to Tony. Can't complain too much I suppose, I managed to get on a government training course, an HTC in Robotics and Computer programming in the early 80's. It was run by the Manpower Services Commission, which later got me a job as I had put down MSC (in short for Manpower Services Commission) and the guy who read my application thought I had an MSc.:laugh: I put him straight in the interview but as it turned out they liked what I was qualified in anyway.

The course was paying as much as I was getting working as a fitter for British Printing Corporation at the time and was closer to home at the local Tech. Robert Maxwell (the bouncing Cheque) had taken over BPC and it looked like it was going to close down anyway, which it did. That course led on to me going to do a degree after it, so it all worked out OK in the end.:cool:

Heaps of people I knew though got well and truly shafted on the YTS.