ACT best place to live

Petals

As someone who has chosen to live in Canberra despite my work taking me to Sydney and Melb each week I have to say I agree.

I've never come across anyone who has actually lived here say anything bad about it. In fact if Canberra had a beach it would be perfect.

As someone who has chosen to live in Canberra despite my work taking me to Sydney and Melb each week I have to say I agree.

I've never come across anyone who has actually lived here say anything bad about it. In fact if Canberra had a beach it would be perfect.

Yup me too! If I have to live anywhere in Aus then Canberra is right up there. Cold (in winter, probably) but soulless nope, I think not. Middle of nowhere? Well, Aus is the middle of nowhere so I the middle of the middle of nowhere possibly but definitely within cooee of beach, bush, Sydney, Melbourne, snow etc

Canberra is an acquired taste, but I have known people who whinged about going there for work, then say they love it and wouldn't live anywhere else. If you can accept that Canberra is far more than a political capital, I believe it can be a nice place for families. If you can dodge the politicians at the restaurants that is !!! There are worse places to live in the world - but that's only my opinion.

I think the first paragraph makes it sound like the OECD doesn't have a clue about what they are talking about.

The Northern Territory is a lot like North Carolina, Queensland like Western Norway and the Australian Capital Territory like New Hampshire.

Makes it sound like they know a lot about the rest of the World and have to find somewhere so they can do a comparison. NT like North Carolina, Queensland like Western Norway. Give us a break.

Guest Quorn
Did they consider the boredom factor I wonder?

Why when there is more going on in the ACT in a week than most of Australia in a month?

I think the first paragraph makes it sound like the OECD doesn't have a clue about what they are talking about.

Makes it sound like they know a lot about the rest of the World and have to find somewhere so they can do a comparison. NT like North Carolina, Queensland like Western Norway. Give us a break.

I think you've missed the point, probably do to the poor journalism.

This is the actual OECD report and the comparisons makes perfect sense

http://www.oecdregionalwellbeing.org

Some bright spark can do Australia V UK comparisons now :)

I was at the Botanical Gardens one night talking to a guy, warm summer evening, wine and tapas on the lawn, musicians playing, kangaroos bouncing around, brilliant sunset then a moonlit walk with torches looking at the wildlife. Complete silence.

He said to me, "If anybody asks you what Canberra's like, just tell them it's a shithole. We don't want too many outsiders finding out about this place and wrecking it".

I'm thinking of getting a kayak, then sticking it on the car roof and having a row in the lake on the way to work, or on the way home. In the middle of the city.

The way I see it...if i want a taste of Sydney or Melbourne they're 40 minutes on the plane. Can either of those offer what I can get in Canberra...not a chance.

I was at the Botanical Gardens one night talking to a guy, warm summer evening, wine and tapas on the lawn, musicians playing, kangaroos bouncing around, brilliant sunset then a moonlit walk with torches looking at the wildlife. Complete silence.

He said to me, "If anybody asks you what Canberra's like, just tell them it's a shithole. We don't want too many outsiders finding out about this place and wrecking it".

I'm thinking of getting a kayak, then sticking it on the car roof and having a row in the lake on the way to work, or on the way home. In the middle of the city.

The way I see it...if i want a taste of Sydney or Melbourne they're 40 minutes on the plane. Can either of those offer what I can get in Canberra...not a chance.

If you were in Sydney or Melbourne, or any of the other capitals on the Coast you could take your kayak and have a paddle on the ocean before work, not some shitty man made lake.

My sons friend is at ADFTA and is at home this weekend. We were at the beach yesterday morning and he commented on how much he misses it, being in Canberra. We have a bit of a running session Sunday mornings in Winter, water is a touch cold. When we got back to the club though there were heaps of surf club members out of surf skis and paddle boards and he decided to go in for a swim and catch a few waves.

I asked him if you could swim in Lake Burly Griffin and he said you could but he didn't really know why you would want to. He never has, they have a 50m pool at ADFTA he said.

My sons friend is at ADFTA and is at home this weekend. We were at the beach yesterday morning and he commented on how much he misses it, being in Canberra. We have a bit of a running session Sunday mornings in Winter, water is a touch cold. When we got back to the club though there were heaps of surf club members out of surf skis and paddle boards and he decided to go in for a swim and catch a few waves.

I asked him if you could swim in Lake Burly Griffin and he said you could but he didn't really know why you would want to. He never has, they have a 50m pool at ADFTA he said.

You like beaches, they're an important part of your life, I get that too. That doesn't mean therefore that Canberra and its lakes are lacking, they just aren't for you....

ACT is not the best place to live any more than is Melbourne, Perth or Vancoeuvre. It just means that a survey has graded amenities and offers weighting to the things ACT scores well on - e.g. travel to work times, proximity to an airport, proximity to countryside, etc. and less weighting to the things that other places score well on - e.g. international flights, theatres, restaurants, etc. Depending on personal preferences, some people would like to live there whilst others would prefer to live elsewhere. For what it is worth, when I visited I was struck by how well manicured the central areas were; how run down some of the housing was; how nice it was to be able to park at Parlaiment and wander into debates; how little variety there was for shopping and eating; and how well provided it was with museums and stuff.

I do wonder how ACT will fare with the cuts to the public service. It did strike me that much of the city owed its living - either directly or indirectly - to the government sector.

Well I have to say that Canberra wasn't our first choice but now we are here we think it is fantastic. As others have said 2 hours to the beach, 2 hours to the snow and loads to do if you want to.

We know some friends from the UK who came to live here and strongly advised us not to....they moved back to Sydney after about 6 months. However, we have settled in really well and like the fact that you have 4 distinct seasons.

Did they consider the boredom factor I wonder?

Is that based on your experience of Canberra or your perception of it? I've been as guilty as anyone - I live in Sydney and everyone here assumes Canberra is a dull, boring place. However after spending a fair bit of time working there on a contract, I've had to completely change my views. In fact, if we decide not to retire back to the UK (which we're contemplating mainly for the chance to travel more), then we're likely to retire to Canberra. Plenty to do in Canberra itself, friendlier people, easy drive to the snow/bush walks or the beach, easy drive to Sydney to see friends.

If you were in Sydney or Melbourne, or any of the other capitals on the Coast you could take your kayak and have a paddle on the ocean before work, not some shitty man made lake.

...but only if you had enough money for a coastal property that's a short commute to work. Ain't gonna happen in Sydney unless you're a millionaire, and if you live in Brisbane, the beaches are a long way from the city.

...but only if you had enough money for a coastal property that's a short commute to work. Ain't gonna happen in Sydney unless you're a millionaire.

My commute to work takes about 45 minutes. We live close to the beach though. I thought Canberra prices were right up there with Sydney?

My commute to work takes about 45 minutes. We live close to the beach though. I thought Canberra prices were right up there with Sydney?

45 minutes in Sydney would be a short commute! You're right, Canberra is the second most expensive city for house prices, but that's misleading (we've been looking at property there). In the centre of town and the posh areas, it's cheaper than Sydney but not by much. However, you can live in the outer ring of suburbs and be in the centre of town in half an hour. Fancy a country property with acreage? You can have one and still commute less than 45 minutes. We could buy a house in the outer burbs of Canberra for the price of an apartment in the outer burbs of Sydney, with a fraction of the commuting time.

Archived