One year on after return to UK

I've not been participating in the forum for a while but since it is coming up to a year since our return I thought I would share an update, it's a real good news story and whilst everyone's circumstances are different it might help those who are thinking of returning but are a bit nervous.

So a brief bit of back story - we applied for an independent skilled visa in 2008 but before it was granted my DH was offered a job with sponsorship and a full relocation package so we jumped at the chance and arrived in Perth 23rd Nov 2008. We both work in IT and I was offered a job with the same organisation too, schools, rentals etc. all fell in place easily and we had a fairly typical 'honeymoon' period. We got our PR in 2009 and citizenship before we left in 2013.

I'm not going to go into all the reasons why we decided to return, I have done that previously suffice to say we went through a lot of hard times - mostly though they were not related to Australia and by the time we decided to return everything was fine, in fact if it hadn't been I don't think we could have confidently made the decision. It was when all the problems were behind us that we looked around and thought 'what was it all about'. It's not that we didn't like Australia, and there were things we liked more than the UK, there are things I miss if I really think about it, but our overall lifestyle was worse.

So in July 2013 we after around a year of planning we headed home with half the belongings we'd arrived with and an Aussie cat :) I felt remarkably little leaving, dropping some last things off at the Op shop at the South Freo Marketplace I did feel a pang - one of the things I loved in Australia was shopping locally at greengrocers, deli's, fishmongers etc. but as the taxi took us through Perth along the Swan I could recognise the beauty but it meant nothing to me. Taking off on the plane and seeing Perth disappear I felt nothing - my son got a slightly wistful look on his face and I squeezed his hand - if he'd been obviously upset then it would have been hard I think.

We moved back to Scotland which is where we had moved from, we had a house in Falkirk so it made sense to move back there but we planned on moving closer to Edinburgh, to be honest I was a worried about ending up back where we had started and ping-ponging. We had ended up in Falkirk by chance not choice in the first place and although we moved TO Australia as opposed to moving FROM Scotland, we had done a lot of soul-searching and felt that ending up with the big 'executive villa' in suburbia is probably what had left us restless and led to us migrating in the first place....of course we ended up with a big house in suburbia in Perth too except it cost twice as much on a lower income!

Here I still am in Falkirk though and I could not be happier. Friends is probably the main reason, we were welcomed back with open arms and now it is as if we had never been away, in fact probably within a week it was like we had never been away.

We arrived back to summer weather that went on and on...before we had even moved back into our house neighbourhood kids were chapping the door for my son to play, we had a week away in the Highlands (& visited a PIO friend from Perth who had returned to Aberdeenshire!) and generally just had a wonderful summer. Once our container arrived and we were settled we had a house-warming party...our friends had created a 'Welcome to Scotland' pack with all kinds of foodie delights, tartan rug, hand warmers, umbrella, cold and flu treatments.....etc. etc. etc. It was a wonderful (& somewhat wild!) night which cemented our place back where we belong.

My son's school in Fremantle was incredible so one of the biggest priorities of our move was to choose the right school, as we had no idea where we would end up living long-term and because his school experience had been SO different (not because it was in Australia but because the philosophy was very different to the mainstream) we opted for a very non-traditional private school in Edinburgh. It was a bit of a brave move as we didn't have jobs to go back to and I know how fortunate we are to be able to make that choice. We feel we have absolutely made the right choice, he settled immediately and to our utter amazement very quickly said he preferred it to his school in Australia. He misses friends of course, however 3 families have been to visit which has been brilliant :)

Once my son started school I had to start thinking about work, one of the reasons for moving back to Scotland was the availability of work in IT and it only took a couple of weeks before I had a contract. The role I took required travelling to London more than I would have liked but I was keen to get myself back in the UK job market and was knocked back for a couple of roles due to not working recently in the UK Financial market - the reverse of the 'local knowledge' people face moving to Australia. My contract is for a large banking group and I am still there at the moment but looking forward to finishing up in a couple of weeks. There's ongoing work if I wanted it but I'd rather take the summer off.

We're heading to Europe for a month, it's our silver wedding and long before we planned to move back we planned to do this - a fair bit cheaper from the UK though :) I love travel and adventure and I feel alive again being able to afford it again. Thinking a Russian River Cruise for the OH's 50th next year, a a camper van tour of NZ for mine the year after (might pop into Perth on the way!). I do regret not seeing more of Australia - we saw a lot of WA and I went to Sydney, Melbourne and Cairns on business trips but one day I'd like to come back and do a big road trip. With hindsight I wish we had simply taken a year off and done that rather than migrate but hey ho.

One of the things that worried us based on PIO wisdom was whether we would be able to get a mortgage - although we had a house to move back to it had never been our family home and it is a very small 'starter' home with no garage...we have 7 bikes including a tandem. It is amazing what you can manage with, although taking a road bike up and down the loft ladders when he wants to use it is extreme! I didn't want to rush into buying - I wanted to know we were happy with life first and to be sure about where we wanted to live and it proved to be right because we have recently bought a house in Falkirk and despite our anxiety got a 85% mortgage relatively easy (& could have probably got a 90% if we'd needed it). Given neither of us have an employer, my OH is self-employed and I operate a Limited Co. we wouldn't be the most straight forward case. So here we are back where we started in a large 'executive villa' in suburbia and I could not be happier :)

Without migrating I do not think we would have achieved the peace and happiness with life that we now have, I have learnt what matters and I have learnt to have gratitude for what I have. Don't get me wrong I do still yearn for a cottage in the country but I know the reality could easily be 'another Australia' as we say in our house for anything where we suspect reality won't live up to fantasy. I have spent my entire adult life looking for something more and I am now finally at peace - priceless.

In a couple of weeks we are having a party to celebrate us being back a year. To be honest with the holiday and the house move I could have done without it but we were coerced into it by friends - I'm planning to theme it 'Christmas in July' but the reverse of the Aussie style, this will be all BBQ, prawn rings and pavlovas - an Aussie Christmas in July....bring a plate, now where are my boardies and my thongs :)

Without migrating I do not think we would have achieved the peace and happiness with life that we now have, I have learnt what matters and I have learnt to have gratitude for what I have. Don't get me wrong I do still yearn for a cottage in the country but I know the reality could easily be 'another Australia' as we say in our house for anything where we suspect reality won't live up to fantasy. I have spent my entire adult life looking for something more and I am now finally at peace - priceless.

Great quote, one that I can already relate to even though we are not home..yet.

Sometimes all you need and want were there right under your nose.

May your happiness continue.

Without migrating I do not think we would have achieved the peace and happiness with life that we now have, I have learnt what matters and I have learnt to have gratitude for what I have.

Wonderful read Lady Rainicorn, absolutely captivating and your peace transcends of the page. I 'feel' your calm and collected and at ease.

I also feel like you (quote above) - I feel I am a much calmer, level headed, and balanced person for my experience. Funny how a traumatic time can actually improve your wellbeing. You'd think the opposite would occur. Personally, I don't want to go to bed at night in case I miss something, and I can't wait for the next day to arrive. I'm delightfully happy but I have a overwhelming sensation of 'contentment' which is a much better thing to strive for as Contentment lasts, happiness in an emotion that comes in fits and starts. You sound you have found contentment too. Enjoy. Sometimes I feel like Andy Dufresne in Shawshank Redemption when he's on the roof sipping beer the guards have allowed him....with a little wry smile, that the world is OK again.

Awwwww what a wonderful update. I'm so glad you're happy and settled. I'm up for Christmas in July!

Pm me the details and I'm there. ;-D

It might be a bit far to travel Tappers2Oz but you're welcome!

Great update and very reassuring for those of us who are moving back to the UK soon. Love your reverse Christmas in July idea!

It came to me when I was unpacking cook books and realised that I probably wouldn't have use for my Aussie festive cooking ones, seemed such a shame for them to languish!

I'm not sure OH will let me put the tree up though!

Aaah that's really fantastic LR, who says anything has to be permanent, all part of your journey...sounds like you have realised what you need/want at this stage of your lives, wishing you all happiness and contentment for the future, thanks for posting:)

That's really good to hear. It's hard to explain this kind of thing to someone who hasn't been through this process (or who hasn't even had the urge to emigrate). Moving away and then moving back can have just as good an outcome as a successful, straightforward one-way move.

Great update, thank you.

Without migrating I do not think we would have achieved the peace and happiness with life that we now have, I have learnt what matters and I have learnt to have gratitude for what I have.

Wonderful read Lady Rainicorn, absolutely captivating and your peace transcends of the page. I 'feel' your calm and collected and at ease.

I also feel like you (quote above) - I feel I am a much calmer, level headed, and balanced person for my experience. Funny how a traumatic time can actually improve your wellbeing. You'd think the opposite would occur. Personally, I don't want to go to bed at night in case I miss something, and I can't wait for the next day to arrive. I'm delightfully happy but I have a overwhelming sensation of 'contentment' which is a much better thing to strive for as Contentment lasts, happiness in an emotion that comes in fits and starts. You sound you have found contentment too. Enjoy. Sometimes I feel like Andy Dufresne in Shawshank Redemption when he's on the roof sipping beer the guards have allowed him....with a little wry smile, that the world is OK again.

Yes, it is hard to put into words but contentment is definitely it. My life is not all unicorns pooping rainbows (as Ali would say :)). I get stuck in traffic jams, I'm late for hospital appointments and can't find parking, I row with my OH (& that was just one day last week :)), the daily grind is still the daily grind but there is an acceptance now that I never had before.

I do sometimes feel like I have a secret that I want to share with the world, I kind of understand now why people that find god become evangelical, when people moan about their lives I want them to know that happiness doesn't lie in another country or another job or another partner but in them. Maybe that's why I had to retreat from the board for a while :)

Aaah that's really fantastic LR, who says anything has to be permanent, all part of your journey...sounds like you have realised what you need/want at this stage of your lives, wishing you all happiness and contentment for the future, thanks for posting:)

Absolutely right HH - probably part of the mistake was thinking Australia had to be forever - the reasons for that were sensible - financial, my sons education etc. but part of the learning has been 'nothing is forever' and that helps with the happiness that comes from living in the moment.

I've lost touch with your journey, are you still thinking of moving to Bunbury?

I knew you would slot right back in when you got home to Scotland Jules. It seemed the right decision for you when you went back.

Good luck with the future back home :cool:

Thank you, I don't think I'll be needing to wear shades very often though - at Strathclyde Country Park in the rain last Saturday :)

Absolutely right HH - probably part of the mistake was thinking Australia had to be forever - the reasons for that were sensible - financial, my sons education etc. but part of the learning has been 'nothing is forever' and that helps with the happiness that comes from living in the moment.

I've lost touch with your journey, are you still thinking of moving to Bunbury?

Yes I think so....definitely going south but staying where we are till sons ready for High School

Archived