I thought I'd got over it!

Quoll

It's a small thing and has no bearing on how I feel about Australia but I hate colourbond fences they remind me of something you'd have at a detention centre - I know it makes perfect sense but on the one episode of WDU I've seen since returning the gardens made me shudder.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Reminds me of the time I was driving back from Olinda down the mountain back home. It was pea soup couldn't see more than 10 metres ahead of me. It's a nice twisty road too heart was in mouth the whole time. Thought my car was going to end up either in a tea shop or in the trees at devils bend. Got home thank goodness

I was just about to ask what gym you go to, then I read the rest. Knowing Phil Spencer was in the gym would defo motivate me to go! Something nice to look at, as long as he didn't bang on about Oz....If there was a show called "Phil Spencer- Wanted down under" I might be tempted to watch it, as long as it wasn't about Oz! ;-)))))
yeah he's hot

I think its an exceptionally lucky thing to be truly happy where you live. I had an " I live here" moment today myself. I'm thankful everyday. Long may it continue for you. :wubclub:

Exactly. Life is about happiness and a sense of contentment and serenity. If you have that, you have everything. It doesn't matter where you live or what you do.

Anybody who's constantly trying to justify "their" thing as being better than "your" thing, isn't truly settled mentally because they obviously think they need to compare and justify on a daily basis. It's the exact opposite of contentment and the need for constant reinforcement.

No of course not! Brisbane is lush but too hot for me. Canberra was apparently quite green for a while recently too but that long drought really set things in my psyche and we were holding our collective breath about whether there'd be water in the dams. Just bad associations is all - and the south east really did look horribly barren. I couldn't face that again I think.

March 2012 was the wettest since the 1950's filling existing dams to 100%. and the enlarged dam has now increased capacity by 35% or 71 billion litres, with a total capacity across the very small state of 280 billion litres.

We've just had 36 hours of rain and there will be no water capacity shortage for the next 7 years even when there's a return to El Nino dry conditions.

You probably wouldn't have to face it again.

March 2012 was the wettest since the 1950's filling existing dams to 100%. and the enlarged dam has now increased capacity by 35% or 71 billion litres, with a total capacity across the very small state of 280 billion litres.

We've just had 36 hours of rain and there will be no water capacity shortage for the next 7 years even when there's a return to El Nino dry conditions.

You probably wouldn't have to face it again.

Droughts are cyclical - been through two or three cycles over the years so would be very surprised if there weren't drought conditions again in the next few years. Have seen Lake George go from bone dry to lapping at the road and back a couple of times. I'd expect at least one more in my lifetime. I can see why the suicide rate in the country increases during those times. Good that Canberra has addressed water storage at last, those 3 minute showers were a killer!

Droughts are cyclical - been through two or three cycles over the years so would be very surprised if there weren't drought conditions again in the next few years. Have seen Lake George go from bone dry to lapping at the road and back a couple of times. I'd expect at least one more in my lifetime. I can see why the suicide rate in the country increases during those times. Good that Canberra has addressed water storage at last, those 3 minute showers were a killer!

There will be droughts, but the point was that even with El Nino drought there will be no water shortage for 7 years, which should taken us through another La Nina wet cycle....so it's better prepared than it's ever been.

It's very hard to predict, with the jet stream being forced south over the UK this year causing all the low pressure and flooding, all climate patterns may be changing and the UK might get this every year from now on, which really buggers up a lot of the country where we've built on flood plains and not invested in water management.

I wouldn't worry about Australia's water too much, it's a lot simpler to deal with for smaller populations but on a much larger scale. The farmers may have a problem though.

Fast forward to this week (same time, silly me!) and there was Phil showing a couple of blokes "desirable" properties in Adelaide - I felt sick, physically ill - and it wasn't the treadmill! The dry barren aspect just brought back all that I found alien. There he was showing (I assume) the wonderful view from the patio - yuck! Paul Keating's ar*e end of the world personified! Regularly walking miles through lush green, vibrant spring colours (got to love the daffs and cowslips) it just highlighted for me how much I hate the harshness and appreciate the mellow! More therapy needed obviously!

Afraid I don't identify with Adelaide being dry and barren at all. I can only assume he was in some far flung suburb where they are building in to the flat and dry landscape. Possibly down south somewhere. It is dry and barren in the countryside around the outskirts of Adelaide but not in Adelaide.

image.jpg

image.jpg

The love of field and coppice,

Of green and shaded lanes.

Of ordered woods and gardens

Is running in your veins,

Strong love of grey-blue distance

Brown streams and soft dim skies

I know but cannot share it,

My love is otherwise.

I love a sunburnt country,

A land of sweeping plains,

Of ragged mountain ranges,

Of droughts and flooding rains.

I love her far horizons,

I love her jewel-sea,

Her beauty and her terror -

The wide brown land for me!

...this poem really sums it up for me and my hubbie..me for Aus and England for my hubbie. We've long gone past the 'which country is better?' thing, as the line 'Core of my heart, my country!' is true for both of us...

Got to stop going to the gym on a Monday morning! Last week I was there when Phil Spencer was showing a couple around some "desirable" residences in Sydney - Auburn and Campbelltown were two of the places - WTF was he thinking? A third place, just as undesirable has slipped my mind (best thing for it!). I was laughing hysterically on the treadmill! Not a good look!

Fast forward to this week (same time, silly me!) and there was Phil showing a couple of blokes "desirable" properties in Adelaide - I felt sick, physically ill - and it wasn't the treadmill! The dry barren aspect just brought back all that I found alien. There he was showing (I assume) the wonderful view from the patio - yuck! Paul Keating's ar*e end of the world personified! Regularly walking miles through lush green, vibrant spring colours (got to love the daffs and cowslips) it just highlighted for me how much I hate the harshness and appreciate the mellow! More therapy needed obviously!

What area of campbelltown was he showing?

For me it's the glorious hills of Melbourne feels like home. Nothing alien or harsh about the beautiful gum trees and the smell of eucalyptus is intoxicating.

I don't find Australia harsh at all. I laugh historically at Homes under the hammer when they show people round god awful council houses and pay a premium for god awful council houses. Well done you've bought a real investment opportunity.

Just driven down from Bundaberg to Brissie - landscape en route very dry but spectacular - red earth, sugar, avocados. Beautiful but I always say you can't beat the British countryside when the weather behaves! Phil Spencer winds me up due to the lack of practicality - a lot of the houses he shows in Qld seem great - pool, lifestyle, roomy etc but in the arse end of nowhere and you wouldn't know this on viewing. I did see one where people with a poor budget (500k?) were shown what they could afford in inner Brissie - they were shown a weatherboard house in Camp Hill which was really shocking - they were horrified by what poor value for money housing was if you actually need to commute to the city. Made for good viewing though.

Like anywhere it is where you live within a country as they all differ.

rode to the coast down the linear park trail yesterday follows the Torrens to the sea. A lovely bike ride could have been in the UK, green grass, trees, ducks, swans etc.

on the other hand drove down to O Halloran hill a couple of weeks back and the landscape is completely different, dry and yellow.

Up in Stirling and Hahndorf the leaves are turning and the autumn colours are going to be lovely.

Better off in the gym Quoll the elderly have been advised not to exercise outdoors due to the current poor air quality in the UK.

Speaking of air quality. I recently met a Chinese businessman, he had a factory in Shanghai but was now living in Melbourne. I asked him what made him come to live in Melbourne and was surprised when the first thing he said was "clean air".

Speaking of air quality. I recently met a Chinese businessman, he had a factory in Shanghai but was now living in Melbourne. I asked him what made him come to live in Melbourne and was surprised when the first thing he said was "clean air".

Hardly surprising the air quality in China is dreadful. One reason I like Melbourne so much is the clean air too. I love it just after a thunderstorm and the air is nice and fresh. So great after living in London.

It's horrendous, dirty smog, really bad for you.

Guangzhou, a city of millions of scooters banned the lot...you can only use electric ones now. Trouble is, they then bought millions of cars from a starting point of almost zero so it's worse. My mum and dad always get respiratory problems when they visit my brother and it's put them off any long visits.

If this episode is the one I think it is Phil Spencer was showing 2 guys houses near One Tree Hill (NE of Adelaide). I remember the episode because I was casually watching it and there was another set of house-hunters in the show - I then realised that I had actually met the man from the other family at work a few months before - it was quite bizarre!

Guest Ptp113
Got to stop going to the gym on a Monday morning! Last week I was there when Phil Spencer was showing a couple around some "desirable" residences in Sydney - Auburn and Campbelltown were two of the places - WTF was he thinking? A third place, just as undesirable has slipped my mind (best thing for it!). I was laughing hysterically on the treadmill! Not a good look!

You really did need to get out more..............

CTF or MBTTUK?

Surely it's fine where it is, being a thread about preferring to live in the UK after many years in Australia?

Guest Ptp113
Surely it's fine where it is, being a thread about preferring to live in the UK after many years in Australia?

Silly billlies everywhere

I put it in MBTTUK I thought which was why I was surprised it was in CTF (don't go there much) - meant to put it in the closed group but wasn't paying attention. I'm still bemused that I got a visceral reaction from something I thought I had firmly dealt with - which was really my point and it is a particularly stark contrast at the moment. I know all of Aus isn't like that all of the time, I know that! I hated the drought and can see why some folk took the shotgun solution - if I lived rural/remote and had to face that every day I'd probably have done it too! I know that some folk like the never ending bush - mile after mile of eucalypt and bark drop - each to their own, it did nothing for me and that's ok (also dislike the smell of eucalyptus, always have). Beauty really is in the eye of the beholder and all that!

Are you ever going to stop moaning about your time in Australia and just enjoy where you are?

Are you ever going to stop moaning about your time in Australia and just enjoy where you are?

What's the problem with her moaning if she wants? No-one forces anyone else to read any particular thread.

ETA: Perhaps part of Quoll's enjoyment of the UK is the fact that she can moan with authority and first hand knowledge about Australia. When I see a thread that may leave for disparaging comments about Australia, I know that there will be certain posters who will jump straight in there and make as many (possibly) derogatory remarks as they can about Australia and that's their opinion, which is fine and doesn't hurt anyone else.

Surely the whole point of a forum is that the members can come and moan or enthuse however the mood takes them?

Archived