I thought I'd got over it!

Quoll

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But you are moaning about Quoll specifically. Sorry, I didn't realise that you knew her personally.

Wouldn't know them from a bar of soap!

I do apologize for putting it in the wrong forum - thought I was putting it in the MBTTUK closed group but misread (as I said before!)

Wouldn't know them from a bar of soap!

I do apologize for putting it in the wrong forum - thought I was putting it in the MBTTUK closed group but misread (as I said before!)

You are entitled to your opinion, good or bad, and shouldn't be apologizing for something that doesn't need an apology! To moan about something is both normal and acceptable. To moan about somebody when you don't know them is not IMO.

The fact that the MBTTUK is a closed group says more about the mentality of other people than it does about you or any one else posting in that part of the forum.

Guest Guest 47403
Surely it's fine where it is, being a thread about preferring to live in the UK after many years in Australia?

Bit slow off the mark there endless, it was moved ages ago.

Bit slow off the mark there endless, it was moved ages ago.

My point remains the same though baz, it's a light-hearted post that could sit comfortably on a couple of the sub-forums on the site. Nice to see someone enjoying the UK though. Good on ya Quoll.

What's the problem with her moaning if she wants? No-one forces anyone else to read any particular thread.

ETA: Perhaps part of Quoll's enjoyment of the UK is the fact that she can moan with authority and first hand knowledge about Australia. When I see a thread that may leave for disparaging comments about Australia, I know that there will be certain posters who will jump straight in there and make as many (possibly) derogatory remarks as they can about Australia and that's their opinion, which is fine and doesn't hurt anyone else.

Surely the whole point of a forum is that the members can come and moan or enthuse however the mood takes them?

Quite right, we all need a good moan now and again, it's cathartic!. I know Quoll's no longer here in Australia, but she's committed much of her life to living in this country for her family. I know from my own experience that you have to keep a lid on a lot of what you think, and particularly on a lot of what you say when you're stuck out here. Saying the wrong thing about Australia, or even speaking positively about the UK has landed me in some uncomfortable situations over the years. Thank god for internet forums and the chance they give you to have a little vent from time to time. :smile:

Guest Guest 47403
My point remains the same though baz, it's a light-hearted post that could sit comfortably on a couple of the sub-forums on the site. Nice to see someone enjoying the UK though. Good on ya Quoll.

I agree light hearted subjects which result in a bit of toing and throing between the differents camps don't belong in MBTTUK, that should be reserved for discussing the plight of failed migrants, it so annoys me when I see trivial posts in there :daydreaming:

[/b]

Quite right, we all need a good moan now and again, it's cathartic!. I know Quoll's no longer here in Australia, but she's committed much of her life to living in this country for her family. I know from my own experience that you have to keep a lid on a lot of what you think, and particularly on a lot of what you say when you're stuck out here. Saying the wrong thing about Australia, or even speaking positively about the UK has landed me in some uncomfortable situations over the years. Thank god for internet forums and the chance they give you to have a little vent from time to time. :smile:

Personally, I've lived in both and there are days I hate the UK but I'm pretty sure that once I'm back there will be days I hate Australia as that's life! But some of the members on here take things so personally that I can't believe how agitated they get. I can understand getting upset and ranting if someone makes unkind/cruel/nasty/personal comments about you specifically but to say something like "omg I hate the way Australia is portrayed on the TV" and have a backlash is a bit ridiculous IMO.

Perhaps people generally need to look issues such as female circumcision in southern parts of Nigeria so they have something to properly vent their spleen on and also perhaps put their energies into starting a campaign/getting involved in an existing one!!

Edited by MovingtoTasmania

What's the problem with her moaning if she wants? No-one forces anyone else to read any particular thread.

ETA: Perhaps part of Quoll's enjoyment of the UK is the fact that she can moan with authority and first hand knowledge about Australia. When I see a thread that may leave for disparaging comments about Australia, I know that there will be certain posters who will jump straight in there and make as many (possibly) derogatory remarks as they can about Australia and that's their opinion, which is fine and doesn't hurt anyone else.

Surely the whole point of a forum is that the members can come and moan or enthuse however the mood takes them?

You would think so wouldn't you? You really have to wonder about the make up of those posters that jump all over others that deviate from the Lotus Land concept. It really grates on them. Are they seen as some sort of working class hero's or something related by those left behind in their council estates ? Get over it. The right to put one's own reality to their story is what it is all about. Those that can't stand reading negatives only nee/d to move onto a less threatening threat.

Akin to the thread in my mind, Another day in Paradise. A term I loathe.

You would think so wouldn't you? You really have to wonder about the make up of those posters that jump all over others that deviate from the Lotus Land concept. It really grates on them. Are they seen as some sort of working class hero's or something related by those left behind in their council estates ? Get over it. The right to put one's own reality to their story is what it is all about. Those that can't stand reading negatives only nee/d to move onto a less threatening threat.

Akin to the thread in my mind, Another day in Paradise. A term I loathe.

Paradise is very subjective and I can't think of many places that spring to mind that would fit that description for me, other than perhaps a desert island with just me and every book ever printed!

Negative comments can be useful as a learning tool as if only the positives are ever pointed out, then how would you know whether something would be right for you or not?

The only thought I had on this thread was that if you're in the gym and can concentrate on the TV, you're doing it wrong!

Good point! In my defence it was only the treadmill and I had to look somewhere! Thank heavens there was no sound!

I agree light hearted subjects which result in a bit of toing and throing between the differents camps don't belong in MBTTUK, that should be reserved for discussing the plight of failed migrants...

…..and for giving people who've never lived in Australia, opportunities to patronise those who have. :smile:

'Failed migrants,' or people who didn't think Australia was for them, as they might otherwise be known!. Now, I bet you're thinking "Well, if Australia doesn't work out for me, you won't catch me whinging about it!. No sir, I'm not like that lot, I'm made of sterner stuff!?"

Maybe we could have a PIO-sponsored "Who Can Moan The Least Competition," where stoic Brits take turns to post about how they overcame enormous hardships before finding their own little corner of paradise?. The winner could be inducted into the Aussie Battler Hall of Fame and forever hang around PIO telling returnees to the UK that they have insufficient intestinal fortitude!