5 worst places to live in the Uk

starlight7

Guest Guest 47403
Hull would probably be up there along with Bradford (my TomTom refuses to navigate me through Bradford!)

Have you been to Hull recently? A lot of money has been spent regeneration, the city centre is generally clean and tidy, it still has some rough estates but so does every town and city in the UK.

Have you been to Hull recently? A lot of money has been spent regeneration, the city centre is generally clean and tidy, it still has some rough estates but so does every town and city in the UK.

I was going to say the same :)

I would add Middlesbrough to the list though!

Yes, mid 2012 I think - there was work going on but it was still pretty dismal I thought. It certainly wasn't clean and sparkly the day we were there.

Blackpool... Definitely!

Deprivation, Poor Health, Poor standard of education, Poor work opportunities, low employment, drug culture and associated crime, high percentage of benefit claimants, high depression and suicide rates! Unfortunately my home town.

Just for balance sake.

maybe Luton, Birmingham, Leicester, Wigan- can't think of another one.

I have worked extensively ....parts of brum ( iam a brummie ) .....parts of east London .....luton yep ...parts of Coventry ...parts of Wolverhampton .......parts of the north west ...parts of Yorkshire

my list carries no malice ....a shithole is a shithole

Leicester ...definitely not ....along with Nottingham , my favourite midlands cities

Most cities have their grot spots and their nice areas. Try telling someone who lives on Rosemary Hill Road in Brum that they live in a dump. Or someone who lives in Anglesey (but in Holihead) that they live in a fantastic spot. Most of us live in the environment dictated by our wallets. I lived in Brum for twelve years ... from my suburb I could jump in my car and be in open countryside in ten minutes. Sutton Park provides the most fantast wild open space for the use of Birmingham residents. Most cities are the same - good and bad mixed. Why anyone would want to dedicate a thread to picking on certain cities and slagging them off is beyond me.

Leicester def not. We moved from there and think its a great city. Surrounded by amazing countryside, great people, love the market, loved having such a lot of diferent cultures, location means you are only a short hop to anywhere - London is only an hour away and Nottingham half an hour and Brum about the same.

Loads of excellent pubs and walks.

Foxton locks is stunning (and has a great pub)

Oh, and the university is excellent and of the best in the world on a number of courses - geoscience, physics and genetics (in which it has a noble prize winner as one of its teaching staff)

Most cities have their grot spots and their nice areas. Try telling someone who lives on Rosemary Hill Road in Brum that they live in a dump. Or someone who lives in Anglesey (but in Holihead) that they live in a fantastic spot. Most of us live in the environment dictated by our wallets. I lived in Brum for twelve years ... from my suburb I could jump in my car and be in open countryside in ten minutes. Sutton Park provides the most fantast wild open space for the use of Birmingham residents. Most cities are the same - good and bad mixed. Why anyone would want to dedicate a thread to picking on certain cities and slagging them off is beyond me.

excuse me Fisher 1 , rosemary hill rd is in LITTLE ASTON , which certainly aint Brum , and nor is Sutton Coldfield ...I live here remember ....iam talking Birmingham ...where the only place that's still top drawer is Bournville

Merging with Birmingham

In 1974, Sutton Coldfield became part of Birmingham, despite the objections of local residents, when the metropolitan county of the West Midlands was formed. More recently, Sutton Coldfield has undergone changes. Areas of the town centre have been pedestrianised and the Gracechurch Centre, now The Mall, has been improved.

You're right Bunbury 61 Little Aston is not in Birmingham. Little Aston is located in the very south of Staffordshire, contiguous with Sutton Coldfield in Birmingham, and is thus part of the West Midlands Conurbation.

Some photographs of the nicer bits of Brum - I know there are grot spots but Brum always gets such a bad press I couldn't resist posting these:-

. images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQauei9gCPH1IaC9NFvtzq51yV-KDSPxhIq_JS5pwnbFiPadbiXPQ Aston Hall

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSlqgtJQywnzALnjeF9Oy8HsPpGDOyvJGpRKEw9yiYXd0bg6gMt Gas Street Basin

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQFc2SdATk2RWJNKIlmlNV-XX8owzgjS5qOeZOZGeqTWZxvdxYe Barr Beacon

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQTJCAXjymAvo3irzIxwpnKWz-iPqvatcU_L2gWka7M-M5NZ95vdw Sutton Park

And I'm a scouser!

I'm glad nobody has said Liverpool, we get a bit of bad press from time to time but I love it, it's fantastic (biased Scouser speaking).

I went to Hull docks recently for some scheduled repairs on my ship and stayed there for two weeks or so. I decided that I would risk venturing into town and to my surprise it was brilliant, clean, tidy, nice people, great architecture......completely underestimated the place!

On the flip side there's some awful places.

Fleetwood - once a thriving fishing port it has gone steeply downhill.

Blackpool - lots of drugs and crime, local council does very little to improve the place.

Scunthorpe - my opinion based on 'Skint' on tv

Holyhead - just a depressing place, near an area of outstanding natural beauty.

Archived