Qantas Axing thousands of jobs

Guest The Pom Queen

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I used to work in a role dealing with pilots of many airlines. The only time my boss had to intervene on my behalf was with the Qantas pilots as they were being very disrespectful towards me and refusing to follow guidelines because they thought the requirements were beneath them. My boss reckoned a lot of Qantas pilots come from wealthy families and had an arrogance about them and looked down their nose at us 'common' people! I have flown with many airlines but I have never flown with Qantas!

I'm surprised by some of the comments on this thread about poor customer service from Qantas particularly from cabin crew. I fly domestically every week with them and have never had anything but great service. I don't mind paying extra knowing their staff earn a decent wage unlike the wages paid by many international carries which are criminal in comparison. It always amuses me that people want to earn top dollar themselves but begrudge paying prices that allow others to do the same.

I only fly Virgin if I have no other option and will go to extreme lengths to avoid using them. All airlines misplace luggage now and then but Virgin really tipped me over the edge when they finally returned a 'lost' piece of luggage to me with an 'oops' tag on it instead of a 'sorry' tag. Their couldn't care less attitude (real or implied) still makes me angry 4 years later. I also hate having to buy drinks etc - it's like a flying bargain bazaar. AND their overhead lockers are too small. Sorry for the rant - I hate everything about them.

Qantas has been mismanaged. It has also been competing with the likes of Virgin with one arm tied behind its back. It's time it was allowed to compete on a level playing field.

Very interesting interview on the ABC news this morning on TV with the Union chappie - Sheldon I think his name was. He was very scathing of the Qantas management and their associated massive salaries, and their bad decisions since 2010. Some of what he said was emotive, but some certainly had merit.

The only airline I've flown with worse service was New Zealand. Maybe the cabin staff know you?

I'm surprised by some of the comments on this thread about poor customer service from Qantas particularly from cabin crew. I fly domestically every week with them and have never had anything but great service. I don't mind paying extra knowing their staff earn a decent wage unlike the wages paid by many international carries which are criminal in comparison. It always amuses me that people want to earn top dollar themselves but begrudge paying prices that allow others to do the same.

I only fly Virgin if I have no other option and will go to extreme lengths to avoid using them. All airlines misplace luggage now and then but Virgin really tipped me over the edge when they finally returned a 'lost' piece of luggage to me with an 'oops' tag on it instead of a 'sorry' tag. Their couldn't care less attitude (real or implied) still makes me angry 4 years later. I also hate having to buy drinks etc - it's like a flying bargain bazaar. AND their overhead lockers are too small. Sorry for the rant - I hate everything about them.

Qantas has been mismanaged. It has also been competing with the likes of Virgin with one arm tied behind its back. It's time it was allowed to compete on a level playing field.

Well it is rumored he may get replaced very soon (Alan Joyce I mean, not Tony).

But this has nothing to do with Tony, this is about the management of Qantas and whether Alan Joyce has done a good job as CEO.

personally I blame the unions mostly, not the CEO.

Well it is rumored he may get replaced very soon (Alan Joyce I mean, not Tony).

But this has nothing to do with Tony, this is about the management of Qantas and whether Alan Joyce has done a good job as CEO.

You just said it was asking for trouble having an Irishman?

Maybe the unions wouldn't be so greedy if we had a cheap supply of labour arriving by boat?

Of course parleycross......Dixon and Joyce have been absolute successes as CEOs

http://www.arabianaerospace.aero/emirates-and-jetstar-launch-new-codeshare-and-frequent-flyer-agreement.html

The thin edge of the wedge....Joyce's brainchild Jetstar Asia will replace Qantas for international flights if the Irish prick has his way.

I used to work in a role dealing with pilots of many airlines. The only time my boss had to intervene on my behalf was with the Qantas pilots as they were being very disrespectful towards me and refusing to follow guidelines because they thought the requirements were beneath them. My boss reckoned a lot of Qantas pilots come from wealthy families and had an arrogance about them and looked down their nose at us 'common' people! I have flown with many airlines but I have never flown with Qantas!

What a complete load of bullshit.....their pilot's are no different to any other Airline's pilots.....they come from all walks of life.......I've heard it all now FFS :rolleyes:

Been expecting this since Alan Joyce became CEO. He's been brought in to reduce costs, cut jobs and get Qantas as lean as possible. When it's done they'll let him go with a massive payoff and bonus and say what a great job he did. Same thing happened with Telstra and Sol Trujillo. Never out of the news, always arguing with the government, him and his American buddies getting fantastic salaries. Then when the company is totally screwed over they buzz off back k to the US with a fat cheque.

Of course parleycross......Dixon and Joyce have been absolute successes as CEOs

http://www.arabianaerospace.aero/emirates-and-jetstar-launch-new-codeshare-and-frequent-flyer-agreement.html

The thin edge of the wedge....Joyce's brainchild Jetstar Asia will replace Qantas for international flights if the Irish prick has his way.

As I have said many times on other posts..... isn't this what is behind it all? I remember that Nick Zenophen (independent MP) made a speech in parliament on 23. 8.2011 about Qantas and Joyce and what was behind it all.... just had a quick google but can't find the actual Hansard post, found this...

though... But there are always two sides to the coin I guess. I just wish Joyce had been a bit more like Richard Branson and taken the airline by the balls to drag it out of the horrid mentality it has that it is "the best". Qantas should remember what happened to Ansett Airlines....

Check out the links at the end of the link... if you know what I mean.... Zenophon's speech is there.... interesting.

You just said it was asking for trouble having an Irishman?

Maybe the unions wouldn't be so greedy if we had a cheap supply of labour arriving by boat?

Why do you think the unions have been greedy? Do you know what salary the cabin staff or baggage handlers are on? I'm sure the management would have been involved in negotiations over the years. They would have only paid as much as they thought was fair at the time. There's more to Qantas problems than unions getting the best deals they can for their members. A lot of the guys that travel a lot from our company go with virgin because their cabin staff are hotter and more fun. Not much to do with cost when the company are paying.

Like most Australian businesses. the old way of doing things with red tape and employing too many people is a thing of the past. Australia needs to wake up and get competitive, due to mining it hasn't ever needed to compete but with Brazil and Mongolia coming on line Australia is going to have to harden up and streamline its workforce.

Something right now I think there incapable of but the wind of change is upon them.

as far as complaints are concerned there are only really 2 main airlines... Airbus and Boeing.

everything else is customer service. if it sucks, game over.

we flew qantas and ba to london a month or so back, qantas was wonderful but i was quietly looking forward to flying ba for the first time. i expected it to be a great service. The stewardesses spent more time being obtrusive and looking down their noses at the customers, than actually trying to help. i heard one of them audibly sigh when asked for something by one of the kids behind us (who were very well behaved). i dont think given the choice i'd give them my money again, even through a codeshare.

which brings me to the point of this. cash.

everyone, bar the hardcore aussie with far more patriotism than cash, will always go with price & quality of experience.

you can fly qantas now for a good price, but before you would always find yourself on a foreign carrier for the AU LHR route.

its just a shame the currency and unions are so strong it's taken mass redundancies to achieve this.

Have to say, they have caused a lot themselves. I spend $10k a month flying and the company $50k a month. None of us will use them as their simply poor on service compared to emirates.

So it is all your fault.

you would rather support the arabs than an Aussie company.

So it is all your fault.

you would rather support the arabs than an Aussie company.

Fly Qantas these days and chances are you will be flying on an Arab plane anyway. There are very few Qantas flights into LHR now, it's mainly Emirates with a Qantas code share.

Fly Qantas these days and chances are you will be flying on an Arab plane anyway. There are very few Qantas flights into LHR now, it's mainly Emirates with a Qantas code share.

There are 2 Qantas A380 aircraft daily at Heathrow . They land early morning , stay all day , and depart in the evening . In words 15 hrs of unproductive time when they could be in the air making money .

Another waste of money was the staging of today's company statement . It was staged at the Westin Hotel at a cost no doubt of many thousands of dollars ... What was wrong in holding it at the company HQ or indeed in hangar 96 at Sydney Airport , both cost free alternatives ....it's no wonder Qantas is bleeding to death ....

Dave C

Qantas will end up foreign owned - probably Chinese. All the maintenance will be done in China - and eventually all the pilots will be Chinese. They will keep a few Oz cabin staff to keep up the appearance of being Australian. Remember the days before everything was sold off? Electricity, Water, Telecom, Railways, Gas which once belonged to the Australian people now mostly owned by foreign companies who don't give stuff about anything but money. Forget customer service. The last time my electricity went off I was kept on hold for over an hour when I tried to report it. Bring on the revolution.

Australia has always has foreign owned companies run the place anyway, whats the big ting about Quantas. Australia is still British owned so whats the difference if Chinese people own companies here

There are 2 Qantas A380 aircraft daily at Heathrow . They land early morning , stay all day , and depart in the evening . In words 15 hrs of unproductive time when they could be in the air making money .

Another waste of money was the staging of today's company statement . It was staged at the Westin Hotel at a cost no doubt of many thousands of dollars ... What was wrong in holding it at the company HQ or indeed in hangar 96 at Sydney Airport , both cost free alternatives ....it's no wonder Qantas is bleeding to death ....

Dave C

There used to be many more - gone are the days of good old QF31 leaving Aus late at night! I think it's just 1 and 9 that fly into London now. My DH should be on 1 arriving Tuesday so hope they don't go on strike!

Qantas will end up foreign owned - probably Chinese. All the maintenance will be done in China - and eventually all the pilots will be Chinese. They will keep a few Oz cabin staff to keep up the appearance of being Australian. Remember the days before everything was sold off? Electricity, Water, Telecom, Railways, Gas which once belonged to the Australian people now mostly owned by foreign companies who don't give stuff about anything but money. Forget customer service. The last time my electricity went off I was kept on hold for over an hour when I tried to report it. Bring on the revolution.

funny you mention that, i saw this a couple of days back.......

[video=youtube;-7VGu6fveX4]

Archived