Perth houses..........mind the gap

jgt

I wonder if anyone can tell me why that when houses are built here in WA that they don't seal around window frames. We live in a newish house and there are wide gaps around all the frames.you can hear crickets in the cavity on a night and I imagine that there are all sorts of creepy craw lies that board and lodge there. Why don't they use silicone sealant. I think there may be a business opportunity there. Wonder what you think......

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We have asked ourselves the same thing. it seems you're on your own, australian's at large seem conditioned to the premise that its a warm country therefore they should live in nice looking houses that leak like a sieve.

i'm afraid you are wrong with your namby pamby european living standards. you need to man up to living in damp and draught. or build your own place!

i'm going the whole hog, building to passive house standards in the next year or so. i am working on the qualifications to certify such.

ive spoken to a draughtproofing outfit here in the melbourne area, and they are struggling. people just dont want the service. its odd. they're quite quick to moan about fuel prices though, makes no sense at all.

my guess is that a country with such money in the use of fuel, having people who understand how to save, or eliminate the use of fossil fuel is a danger to profitability. the damp in the night/mornings in the winter with single glazing must help asthmatic inhaler manufacturers too.

the system will always promote the status-quo, so sadly, we're on our own!

I was told to BaBaC when I inquired about double glazing - (Buy a Bigger Air conditioner )

TBH its just cheap building standards imho. If rentals are built by overseas owners, they probably have never seen the house and won't have checked the fine details.

We have asked ourselves the same thing. it seems you're on your own, australian's at large seem conditioned to the premise that its a warm country therefore they should live in nice looking houses that leak like a sieve.

i'm afraid you are wrong with your namby pamby european living standards. you need to man up to living in damp and draught. or build your own place!

i'm going the whole hog, building to passive house standards in the next year or so. i am working on the qualifications to certify such.

ive spoken to a draughtproofing outfit here in the melbourne area, and they are struggling. people just dont want the service. its odd. they're quite quick to moan about fuel prices though, makes no sense at all.

my guess is that a country with such money in the use of fuel, having people who understand how to save, or eliminate the use of fossil fuel is a danger to profitability. the damp in the night/mornings in the winter with single glazing must help asthmatic inhaler manufacturers too.

the system will always promote the status-quo, so sadly, we're on our own!

I'm thinking of the pest invasion too......

Guest Guest66881
Oh sorry to complain, maybe we should just be happy that we have sub standard housing. Maybe i should lower my expectations and accept that i should not be allowed to expect better.

I see it like this mate:

1. leave and go to a country with building standards you like.

2. get someone in to make it good.

3. do it yourself.

4. don't buy or rent get a mobile home.

If all you want to do is moan about things then things will never change, i don't get your moaning when you have a tag boasting the streets are paved with gold either?

Windows have clear mastic insulation applied inside and out, external door frames also have same application, why? because i did it myself.

I see it like this mate:

1. leave and go to a country with building standards you like.

2. get someone in to make it good.

3. do it yourself.

4. don't buy or rent get a mobile home.

If all you want to do is moan about things then things will never change, i don't get your moaning when you have a tag boasting the streets are paved with gold either?

Windows have clear mastic insulation applied inside and out, external door frames also have same application, why? because i did it myself.

Eh my tag is tounge in cheek ie sarcasm. I wont buy a house at the moment due to it being a house of cards property market, so currently rent which means I cannot fix said property. As for number 1 should everybody who complains about something in the country they live in **** off? LOL we would all be living in space. And actually things change when people complain not when we accept it or we would all still be unable to vote or have freedom of speech.

Guest Guest66881
Eh my tag is tounge in cheek ie sarcasm. I wont buy a house at the moment due to it being a house of cards property market, so currently rent which means I cannot fix said property. As for number 1 should everybody who complains about something in the country they live in **** off? LOL we would all be living in space. And actually things change when people complain not when we accept it or we would all still be unable to vote or have freedom of speech.

Ditto my friend, except the bit about me doing it myself as i am the bollox at repairs and stuff:cool:

If I ever buy a house here I intend on bringing it into the 21st century. I find it amusing how they give houses a 6 star energy rating. These houses would not even get a building warrant in most developed countries.

Does Perth get a winter? Come to Canberra where temps regularly drop to -5c and below over night in winter - here you'll find double glazing, insulation and solar on new builds....

Does Perth get a winter? Come to Canberra where temps regularly drop to -5c and below over night in winter - here you'll find double glazing, insulation and solar on new builds....

You dont get any of that on new builds here and trust me being in a shed when it is 1 degree outside feels colder than being in Scotland when its -15 outside

You dont get any of that on new builds here and trust me being in a shed when it is 1 degree outside feels colder than being in Scotland when its -15 outside

Gives the Poms something else to whinge about as Sir Les would say... :wink:

Our new house is being built by a volume builder and has insulation in the walls at least and the grey coat render inside has nicely sealed the gap round the windows - it comes down to the builder and their own standards.

Of course the general standard needs raising too !

it may seem i only chime in on this subject when i feel like a whinge, but in all honesty, flies and housing are my only 2 gripes.

Australia on the whole is wonderful!

i will build a proper house, then it's only the flies, and the solution to them is to chill out.

they don't annoy you anywhere near as much if you just allow them to do what they do.

then... relative paradise :)

Archived