Shopping @ Coles: Some current prices $$$

Jaybay

Hi All,

For people who might be wondering what food prices are like over here...

I’ve put together a basic shopping list on some items available at Coles supermarket. (For those who don’t know, Coles and Woolworths are the main contenders here. Think Tesco/Sainsburys, but WITHOUT all the clothing and home-ware)

The prices I have quoted are EXCLUDING any specials. There ARE always weekly specials, and if you’re a thrifty shopper, it can be well worth the savings.

These prices were as of today (28/11/2013) in the northern suburbs of Perth, WA.

2 litres of milk $2 (shop brand)

Bread starting from $1, up to $4 or $5, depending. The really cheap stuff is awful, so average around $3 for a half decent loaf

1kg block cheddar cheese $7

Chicken breast fillets $15.50/kg

Chicken drumsticks $7.99/kg

8 x skinny pork sausages $5

Pork loin chops $18/kg

500g Beef mince $6

Lamb leg steaks $28.99/kg

Lamb chops $9/kg

Beef t-bone steak $19.99/kg

Barramundi fish fillet $18/kg

Salmon $40/kg (I had to read that twice, but that’s what it says in the catalogue!)

Pink lady apples $5/kg

Bananas $3.80/kg (currently in season. Out of season, can be anything to £10/kg – or more)

Grapes $9.98/kg

Watermelon 85c-$1 per kg

Potatoes $3.98/kg

Brown onions $5.98/kg

1kg carrots $1.50

Tomoatoes (loose) $2.90/kg

3 litre fruit juice $4.75

2 litre Pepsi max $2.95

2 litre Coke (all varieties) $4.22

Tea bags (Bushells) x 100 $6.40

Coffee – shop brand 200g $7.04 Moconna 200g $18.98

Sugar 1kg $1.63

Heinz baby food jar $1.27 ea

Ella’s Kitchen food sachet $1.99 ea

Nappy pull-ups (28 pack) $16.99

Tin of baby formula average around $25/tin

Pack of 80 x wet wipes (shop brand) $3

24 x toilet rolls (shop brand) $10.80

Fairy dishwasher tablets x 24 $15.18

24 x bottles 345ml Toohey's beers $40

24 x bottles 330ml Heineken beers $48

Jack Daniels 700ml $42

Smirnoff 1 litre $46

Hope this has helped a bit... Not sure how these prices would stack up against UK prices these days?

From Catherine :biggrin:

When on our recce to SA last month we did a shop in Coles and I took our receipt from our last shop in Sainsburys and tried to match what we purchased in there item for item in Coles. To be honest I was expecting it all to be a lot more expensive, given reports I had head and articles I'd read but on working on the exchange rate of $1.60 to £1 (it has since moved nearer to $1.70) I was pleasantly surprised to find that it was almost price for price. The item with the most difference was Mushrooms, which were double the UK price. We didn't purchase any alcohol (as it is not sold in or by supermarkets in SA)

That is a great comparison there though Catherine and will be a big help to many and on looking at it, I still draw the conclusion that it is actually price for price on most things.

Most people here do most of their shopping at Aldi- much cheaper than Coles. Top up with extras from Coles. That is the way to survive. Coles is way overpriced.

No Aldi in South Australia either.

(And many say the same regarding Aldi in Britain, but not for us once we factor in a 60 mile round trip to get to the nearest one!)

Most people here do most of their shopping at Aldi- much cheaper than Coles. Top up with extras from Coles. That is the way to survive. Coles is way overpriced.
I dont know why you say most people! No one I knew when I lived in Melbourne got their whole shopping there. Maybe the odd thing, and it was good for their non food specials but I definately wouldnt do my full shopping there. It is like a Smart Price range in the other supermarkets. So I think its the other way round. I would rather pay a few cents dearer for quality,

You defo have to shop around more here. The differences between Coles , Woolies , IGA and Spud shed can be huge! Ive a job that has me travelling around so I tend to pop in places and do my shopping here and there . The good news is with petrol being so much cheaper than the UK you can afford to look around.

That's interesting I live SOR Perth and some of these prices are way more than what I pay ie chicken fillets, salmon, onions - most of the meat in fact. I usually shop at Woolies but pop into Coles sometimes and prices are similar to Woolies. I bought chicken fillets the other day $10.50 a kg, salmon $26.99 onions $1.79 mince 500g $4 - none on special. Most of the meat I pay less actually

For balance to show that some items can be easily purchased much cheaply

Chicken breast fillets $15.50/kg...................currently 12.99 in coles and 7.99 at my local IGA.................always 6.99 at my local butcher

Chicken drumsticks $7.99/kg..................... currently 5.99 in coles and 2.99 at leaonards and IGA

Pork loin chops $18/kg...............................12.99 IGA and always that price at my butchers

500g Beef mince $6...................................Coles has, and is, selling at "down and staying down" price of $5 kg

Lamb leg steaks $28.99/kg..........................14.99 at IGA or buy a leg at 7.99kg and steak it yourself

Lamb chops $9/kg......................................Shoulder chops I'm guessing at that price...........7.99kg or 5.99kg in 2kg lots at butchers

Beef t-bone steak $19.99/kg........................Currently 14.99 at woolies (better meat than Coles) and permanently priced at 12.99 at my butchers

Barramundi fish fillet $18/kg ........................It'll be farmed at that price and nothing like wild caught which will be dearer but tastier

Salmon $40/kg (I had to read that twice, but that’s what it says in the catalogue!).....................Always rises towards Xmas................can sometimes be as low as $25 (tasmanian farmed) I'd rather have a kilo of prawns tbh

Pink lady apples $5/kg....................................1.99 at any number of greengrocers in my area

Bananas $3.80/kg (currently in season. Out of season, can be anything to £10/kg – or more)...................2.30 at coles and as cheap as 99cents in greengrocers

Grapes $9.98/kg...............................out of season................down as low as 1.99 when in season

Watermelon 85c-$1 per kg...................coming into season...............will fall as low as 39cents

Potatoes $3.98/kg..............................half the price at greengrocers and much cheaper in Coles if you buy a 3kilo bag

Brown onions $5.98/kg.....................WHAT!!............never seen 'em as high as that..................usually around 1.99

1kg carrots $1.50....................normally more expensive, but by not much

Tomoatoes (loose) $2.90/kg......................normally more expensive and can reach $9 in winter

For balance to show that some items can be easily purchased much cheaply

Chicken breast fillets $15.50/kg...................currently 12.99 in coles and 7.99 at my local IGA.................always 6.99 at my local butcher

Chicken drumsticks $7.99/kg..................... currently 5.99 in coles and 2.99 at leaonards and IGA

Pork loin chops $18/kg...............................12.99 IGA and always that price at my butchers

500g Beef mince $6...................................Coles has, and is, selling at "down and staying down" price of $5 kg

Lamb leg steaks $28.99/kg..........................14.99 at IGA or buy a leg at 7.99kg and steak it yourself

Lamb chops $9/kg......................................Shoulder chops I'm guessing at that price...........7.99kg or 5.99kg in 2kg lots at butchers

Beef t-bone steak $19.99/kg........................Currently 14.99 at woolies (better meat than Coles) and permanently priced at 12.99 at my butchers

Barramundi fish fillet $18/kg ........................It'll be farmed at that price and nothing like wild caught which will be dearer but tastier

Salmon $40/kg (I had to read that twice, but that’s what it says in the catalogue!).....................Always rises towards Xmas................can sometimes be as low as $25 (tasmanian farmed) I'd rather have a kilo of prawns tbh

Pink lady apples $5/kg....................................1.99 at any number of greengrocers in my area

Bananas $3.80/kg (currently in season. Out of season, can be anything to £10/kg – or more)...................2.30 at coles and as cheap as 99cents in greengrocers

Grapes $9.98/kg...............................out of season................down as low as 1.99 when in season

Watermelon 85c-$1 per kg...................coming into season...............will fall as low as 39cents

Potatoes $3.98/kg..............................half the price at greengrocers and much cheaper in Coles if you buy a 3kilo bag

Brown onions $5.98/kg.....................WHAT!!............never seen 'em as high as that..................usually around 1.99

1kg carrots $1.50....................normally more expensive, but by not much

Tomoatoes (loose) $2.90/kg......................normally more expensive and can reach $9 in winter

I remember a few instances whereby people have said that Australian prices are too expensive. The odd thing Kev, is that is a straight price list; how about factoring the 2.5 X wages difference.

Just a little exercise before you jet offski to a freezing UK.:wink:

Cheers, Bobj.

I just nipped into Coles whilst waiting for my son, glad i did, as Lynx deodorant is on offer again at $2.86 a can and Lynx Shower Gel $4,, we are stocked up nicely now for a while,lol

Cal x

You've been sucked in by the commercials haven't you.

And I thought only my teenage boys insisted on Lynx.

Bananas $3.80/kg (currently in season. Out of season, can be anything to £10/kg – or more)

Bananas are grown all year round in Australia. I can always buy them in the $2-3 kg range. The only reason they ever rose to $12 + kg was because one particular cyclone destroyed 90% of the crop.

I must say I find some of those prices - particularly for meat, fruit and vegetables - very high. But I don't buy them in a supermarket. And maybe they are "normal" for West Australia?

I dont know why you say most people! No one I knew when I lived in Melbourne got their whole shopping there. Maybe the odd thing, and it was good for their non food specials but I definately wouldnt do my full shopping there. It is like a Smart Price range in the other supermarkets. So I think its the other way round. I would rather pay a few cents dearer for quality,

I wouldn't agree at all. I spent a year shopping at Woolies and Coles before discovering Aldi and, in my opinion, the quality is WAY higher at Aldi than the lower priced brands at the other two. There must be a reason they keep winning quality competitions after all.

All the "dry" food, dairy etc is excellent there. However I go to a fruit shop for most of the fruit and veg as the quality is better than at our Aldi. Also we get most meat (bar things like meatballs which we get at Aldi) at a butcher and bulk buy it every couple of months.

I wouldn't agree at all. I spent a year shopping at Woolies and Coles before discovering Aldi and, in my opinion, the quality is WAY higher at Aldi than the lower priced brands at the other two. There must be a reason they keep winning quality competitions after all.

All the "dry" food, dairy etc is excellent there. However I go to a fruit shop for most of the fruit and veg as the quality is better than at our Aldi. Also we get most meat (bar things like meatballs which we get at Aldi) at a butcher and bulk buy it every couple of months.

Must admit, I have walked around our Aldi, but never bought anything as been put off by not having any brand names that I know.

It all seemed too hard.

What are the Aldi brands you like ?

Well I suppose everyone likes different things. I think it is crap, you think it is good - just depends what you are used to!

LOL. They are for my 15yr old son, i am sure he thinks a spray of Lynx is the same as having a shower,lol...

Cal x

Yes its definitely a thing with teenage boys these days.

I think they believe the girls will be all over them if they wear Lynx.

I don't think I knew what deodorant was when I was 15.

My son even sprays Lynx on the outside of his T-Shirt.

My eldest insisted on Lynx Africa, and refused to use the Lynx I bought that was the wrong flavour, so i have to use it now.

Must admit, I have walked around our Aldi, but never bought anything as been put off by not having any brand names that I know.

It all seemed too hard.

What are the Aldi brands you like ?

A lot of products they only have 1 option or maybe 2 so I haven't really looked at brands. I am happy with pretty much all the dry products - pasta, risotto rice, regular rice, baked beans, kidney beans etc. Things like canned tomatoes are really good (not an abundance of green bits like I have had with similar priced products before). The chocolate is pretty good - I have run out so can't check the brand name but I like the orange dark chocolate they do. Even things like salted peanuts don't have the nasty bits in you get at the cheap shops.

We do our main shop there and there are only a few products I would get elsewhere now and that is mainly because they don't stock certain things rather than a quality issue.

Fruit and veg is a different matter and I think that they are a bit lax at our Aldi - sometimes see stuff past its best and have bought a few dud watermelons so we go elsewhere for a lot of that stuff now.

I totally agree with Alaska, and sorry but I think a lot of people are blinded by branding and maybe should try something new once in a while! For example, I often eat cereal bars for brekkie being a busy on-the-fly kinda gal, and the Aldi versions are the nicest I've had. Meat, whether plain cuts or pre-prepared (eg. marinated) is delicious and juicy, and virtually gristle-free. Their $5 tub of Co kies and Cream ice cream rivals the $9 Connoisseur. IMO.

A lot of products they only have 1 option or maybe 2 so I haven't really looked at brands. I am happy with pretty much all the dry products - pasta, risotto rice, regular rice, baked beans, kidney beans etc. Things like canned tomatoes are really good (not an abundance of green bits like I have had with similar priced products before). The chocolate is pretty good - I have run out so can't check the brand name but I like the orange dark chocolate they do. Even things like salted peanuts don't have the nasty bits in you get at the cheap shops.

We do our main shop there and there are only a few products I would get elsewhere now and that is mainly because they don't stock certain things rather than a quality issue.

Fruit and veg is a different matter and I think that they are a bit lax at our Aldi - sometimes see stuff past its best and have bought a few dud watermelons so we go elsewhere for a lot of that stuff now.

You're not on your own. The fruit and veg at my local Aldi always looks like it's on it's way out..............I'll buy other stuff there, but not fruit and veg. Their pork sausages are the only sausage that I buy. I also think they are missing an opportunity with not selling one cal drinks and low cal cordial.

It's that pommy obsession with supercraps on display again. Not one mention of a proper butchers or bakers or farmers market with QUALITY products. Just the cheapest shite money can buy. Not for this family that's for sure..........

Archived