Kids have it tough here in Australia!

Que Sera Sera

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I left school in 1983 and we never ever had ours sports cancelled. 18 inches of snow and we still played hockey! And cross country was my nemesis , I once came second from last out of 90 kids I refused to run and walked it sneaking a crafty fag in the bushes on the way back :laugh:

Did you go to our school by any chance. I knew a few like that.:wink:

You've just proved your own point there Bunbury by the amount of places you mention where your daughter went.

its called IRONY Paul ....or is that lost on you these days .... Take the eldest , she has just gone off to Bath for the weekend ....

I have always thought coastal Australia was great for young kids , cant be bettered .....they get to late teens , its a different ball game ......

My initial point was , so much more stuff going on here, but you have to find it like anywhere else ....we havent got the beach or the weather , so you make the most of geography , and get into europe .....or you travel within the UK ....I have a host of things to do within a 40 mile radius ......

If my daughter had been bought up in WA .....would her schooling have been better ? .....dont know ....she would probably be fitter and browner ,due to the sunshine , but look at the places shes been and the things shes done , theres no way at 13 in Bunbury , she would have seen ,what she has done from the UK ....

its called IRONY Paul ....or is that lost on you these days .... Take the eldest , she has just gone off to Bath for the weekend ....

I have always thought coastal Australia was great for young kids , cant be bettered .....they get to late teens , its a different ball game ......

My initial point was , so much more stuff going on here, but you have to find it like anywhere else ....we havent got the beach or the weather , so you make the most of geography , and get into europe .....or you travel within the UK ....I have a host of things to do within a 40 mile radius ......

If my daughter had been bought up in WA .....would her schooling have been better ? .....dont know ....she would probably be fitter and browner ,due to the sunshine , but look at the places shes been and the things shes done , theres no way at 13 in Bunbury , she would have seen ,what she has done from the UK ....

So many subjectives in your post don't you think. My older teenage daughter loves living by the see, has no desire to travel. My 2 nephews in England aged 13 and 17 don't appear to have had the opportunities at their school that your kids appear to have had. Horses for courses and all that.

School sport has changed beyond recognition from the 70s and 80s in the UK. Our lot don't go out running, playing hockey, netball etc when the weather's bad (and if they are outside they're allowed to wear their trackies.). They do Zumba, swimming, yoga, climbing walls, fencing, judo, dance, go to the gym etc instead. It's so far away from what most of us remember. Thank god! I used to hate slogging along the river bank in the rain, ice, snow...

Oh, and there don't seem to be any communal showers anymore either....

My poor lad has just come home from school having done fitness all afternoon. The poor thing had to go to the beach play cricket and swim in the Ocean, 27c and wall to wall sunshine. The poor kid, what a nightmare eh? He's not lucky like I was running cross country in the rain and the mud! Tough, tough life over here mind:biggrin:

Nice one :-)

Sport in my school was unsupervised as the male PE teachers were busy marking homework from their 2nd subject or trying to chat up the female PE teachers.

Got "great" memories of playing football in the rain and having to tackle the psychopaths who'd been kicked out of other schools. We used to skive school and go and play decent sports.

So many subjectives in your post don't you think. My older teenage daughter loves living by the see, has no desire to travel. My 2 nephews in England aged 13 and 17 don't appear to have had the opportunities at their school that your kids appear to have had. Horses for courses and all that.

It's not about comparing opportunities - it's about taking the ones you have. Kids grow up in every country of the world (well, with one obvious exception) and some become leaders, some become sports stars, some become businessmen, some become scientists, and some have happy families.

Having just returned from a holiday in Perth, the teenagers in the outer suburbs do look like a lost generation. All they seem to do is sit on park benches and break things. Very sad. They need something. Can it be that hard to give them something to do? For the young ones perth is great. But the mid to late teens just look sad.

yes I can imagine. A lot of teens from our area in the UK have gone over to Perth on WHV's

I find Perth teens- ealry 20's quite odd, they seem to not want to be in Australia. Heaps of them go travelling to Europe or in particular Canada really young. I get the impression they just dont have enough tyo do in Perth. I met an Aussie bout my age in Greece and he had been living in the UK for two years and was desperate to stay but couldnt. Bit like me in OZ lol. And I said to him, why on earth do you want to do that, and he said because its boring. I said why dont you move to Melbourne or Sydney?

I am going to Perth soon, something I am really excited about so i will be able to make a better observation.

kids in any country make the best of any opportunity they have no matter where they are in the world, always invincible. us as parents were the same their age yet we all think we know better for them when we grow older let them go make their own success and mistakes just be there to catch them. what seems good to us may not be right for them

yes I can imagine. A lot of teens from our area in the UK have gone over to Perth on WHV's

I find Perth teens- ealry 20's quite odd, they seem to not want to be in Australia. Heaps of them go travelling to Europe or in particular Canada really young.

Now that must be a barefaced lie 'cause members have been told many times by some members on this forum that Aussies rarely travel outside their own city :rolleyes:

Of the 27 kids in my son's class who have finished yr 12 last year, he knows of at least 12 who have taken a yr out overseas before uni.................I reckon they're pretty brave/adventurous at that age.

Now that must be a barefaced lie 'cause members have been told many times by some members on this forum that Aussies rarely travel outside their own city :rolleyes:

Of the 27 kids in my son's class who have finished yr 12 last year, he knows of at least 12 who have taken a yr out overseas before uni.................I reckon they're pretty brave/adventurous at that age.

Yes I can imagine that. Saying that I was from a small isolated town in the UK and stated living abroad alone aged 17 in greece. So I can see why they might want that adventure.

Guest Guest66881

All of our kids have been on the beaches of Britain various ones and all had the same effect, 'YUK', accept the one at Minehead and thats artificially raked i think?

Here they love nothing more than running around the little dunes making crap sand castles dipping their feet in the sea, like most coastal dwellers the 'sea' living lifestyle soon wears thin, unless you become a surfer or water loving loon that is (and nothing wrong with that either).

Wish i had had their opportunities as a toddler, and i dare say do a lot of other kids, even ones who live here who never get to see the sea or a beach because they have parents who hate it?

Haha old Minehead many a childhood memory and to be fair we had some lovely breaks at Butlins. This was their PE lesson though I'd have given my eye teeth to have done that at school and so would my 19 & 22 year old ! My son hates sports and to see him come home with a broad grin on his face, priceless.

Wow what a cheerful comment. You are a glass half empty person aren't you?

You've spotted the main difference between poms and Aussies. Poms are glass half empty types, Aussies are glass half full.

Wow what a cheerful comment. You are a glass half empty person aren't you?

I'm a realist and little use pretending OZ is some fantasy at the end of the rainbow. Kids are kids everywhere. It is real and the problems that accompany it are as just as real as elsewhere. Sooner folk come to turns with that the transition will be that much easier.

I'm a realist and little use pretending OZ is some fantasy at the end of the rainbow. Kids are kids everywhere. It is real and the problems that accompany it are as just as real as elsewhere. Sooner folk come to turns with that the transition will be that much easier.

Your version of reality. It doesn't match anybody else's...............

Archived