Best Airline

davidtiffen

Just trying to book our one way flights to Melbourne from the UK for Feb 2014.

Wondered what people thought were the best

Looking for best price economy with most luggage and reasonable times. I have heard that as I have skilled migration visa I can get more luggage allowance but then also told as I have already flown return already to validate my visa I can't use that option now.

Any ideas anyone - need to get booked soon

Thanks

If you've already validated then yes, your chance at double allowance for a migrant visa has gone. It's meant for unvalidated visas.

Personally I like Singapore airlines. People have said they now give 30kg pp in economy now but that is only what I have heard. I also found price wise they were cheaper than Emirates. And I prefer the route via Asia.

Very little choice these days. So many just code share and put you on other airlines. So it's really about the baggage allowance for me. Royal Brunie will always be the cheapest, but only have a 20kg allowance on the basic fares !!!. Same for Cathay, who are never the cheapest !!!. I always look around, but end up on Quantas, who give you a 30 kg baggage allowance. Prefer the QF10 & 9 times as well.

Looking for best price economy with most luggage and reasonable times. I have heard that as I have skilled migration visa I can get more luggage allowance but then also told as I have already flown return already to validate my visa I can't use that option now.

Thanks

I am not sure there is that much difference, 24 hours in economy class is never going to be a pleasant experience. I find flight prices fluctuate all the time, so you just need to look, use expedia or perhaps trailfinders,and then see what the deal is on baggage. Not that many airlines to the migrant baggage allowance thing but as you have already been once, you are unlikely to find any that will.

I go back to Oz every year and have had brilliant experiences (flying with small children) with Emirates and Etihad. My absolute worst flight was with BA - which then code shared with Qantas - meaning that we couldn't use online check in and didn't know if we'd even be sitting together until we rocked up at the check in desk. Worst follow up customer service ever too....

Happy flying!

Singapore do have special fares that also give 30kg, but that was from OZ to UK return so you will need to check with the airline, we have had that deal for the last two years now.

This month we fly Malaysia Airlines they too are now giving 30kg and also just upped their cabin baggage to 7kg. Also I know it was a while back but we emigrated in 1999 and flew Malaysia, they were the only airline I spoke to at that time that gave us extra baggage they gave us double and did not even ask for visa details and we had already been out 3yrs earlier to validate the visa. A nice airline too, but out of all the airlines we always stay well clear of Qantas/British airways even if they are (but rarely so) the cheapest.

Be also aware that the cheapest is not always the best flight, whatever the airline, you need to check what lay-overs you have, sometimes better to pay a little more to have a more streamlined journey, the long stops can be a killer for the body, mind and pocket too

I have read on a different thread that Singapore now allow 30kg for flights to OZ as from Nov 15th. We fly Nov 28th and have 60kg each. This is due to having un-validated PR visas

The best is the quickest. Better to be uncomfortable for 23 hours than a bit less uncomfortable for 28 hours...

Qatar has fast routes back to the UK.

The fastest routes will almost always be via Asia as great circle routings are shorter. So something with a 1 stopover in Hong Kong, Singapore or South East China would be faster then a Middle East stop.

We booked through IOM with Malaysia......I would try my very best NOT to fly with them again!!!!! On saying that, they were the cheapest which is why we opted for them so actually....... I probably would go with them again and just not expect a smile or pleasantries from the air crew - I am a stinge bag but flying with 3 little kids you have to watch the pennies or cents!!!! You get what you pay for and all that! The flights were ok, no issue just found the crew rude!

IOM also deal with other airlines and would recommend IOM. We got 40kg allowance but didn't need it all anyway!

Good luck!

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
Guest allenginsberg

Usually I prefer to Emirates and Singapore Airlines. You may choose one of them.

Just trying to book our one way flights to Melbourne from the UK for Feb 2014.Wondered what people thought were the bestLooking for best price economy with most luggage and reasonable times. I have heard that as I have skilled migration visa I can get more luggage allowance but then also told as I have already flown return already to validate my visa I can't use that option now.Any ideas anyone - need to get booked soonThanks

There are many airlines to choose from. Others that haven't been mentioned include Vietnam Airlines, Garuda Indonesia, China Southern, China Eastern, Air New Zealand, Thai, Air India and Phillipine Airlines.

Which is best depends on the criteria you set. If you want cheapest, just do a price comparison. If you want fastest route, again, do a comparison. If you want good service then you may need to read people's subjective experiences on Skytrax and decide how much you are prepared to pay for better service. Personally, I would look for an airline that let me stop overnight in a hotel en route but YMMV.

Something we found interesting when we were looking was that if you need to pay for additional luggage, it's fine if it is one airline for the whole journey. But if you use 2 airlines(even code share) additional luggage could not be Pre-booked meaning we would have had to pay the 'on check-in' rate which was more expensive.

:)

Something we found interesting when we were looking was that if you need to pay for additional luggage, it's fine if it is one airline for the whole journey. But if you use 2 airlines(even code share) additional luggage could not be Pre-booked meaning we would have had to pay the 'on check-in' rate which was more expensive.

If a journey is all on one ticket number, the luggage allowance for the highest sector will apply to the entire journey.

If a journey is all on one ticket number, the luggage allowance for the highest sector will apply to the entire journey.

Yes that's right. But my example really was if you are flying Qantas and Emirates and we want 45kilos per person flying economy, we would not have been able to Pre-book the additional. We were told we would have to pay on Check-in which they acknowledged would be more expensive.

If you've already validated then yes, your chance at double allowance for a migrant visa has gone. It's meant for unvalidated visas.

Personally I like Singapore airlines. People have said they now give 30kg pp in economy now but that is only what I have heard. I also found price wise they were cheaper than Emirates. And I prefer the route via Asia.

yup these all sound good to me, few days in Bangkok as a stopover :P

Archived