Old news news but not seen a post - worst winter in 100 years

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/436170/Worst-winter-for-decades-Record-breaking-snow-predicted-for-November

Although I can't wait for winter snow if it really gets this bad, I might just tinsy winsy long for a Perth winter.

i wouldn't concern yourself. The Express is obsessed with weather, royals, health cures, and immigrants.

None of them are especially newsworthy

Guest Guest 47403

Sorry couldn't be arsed reading beyond the first paragraph but I reckon on the 1st November there will still be a country called Scotland and it will function quite well :wink:

Wont happen in the south tho.

Just back from a long trip in SE UK. I expressed concern about the previous winter, how it must have been hard being snowed in for days n days and they didn't know what I was talking about. We do hear a lot of dramatic tosh on this side of the World. However my sis in Middlesbrough sent me a few pics - she did have it tough!

Just back from a long trip in SE UK. I expressed concern about the previous winter, how it must have been hard being snowed in for days n days and they didn't know what I was talking about. We do hear a lot of dramatic tosh on this side of the World. However my sis in Middlesbrough sent me a few pics - she did have it tough!

The media IS dramatic:no:,i heard the shortage of vol au vents in the south was temporary:smile:

Guest Guest 47403

Apart from the winter of 2010 it's generally not to bad we just don't cope well as a country to weather extremes!

Guest Guest 47403
The media IS dramatic:no:,i heard the shortage of vol au vents in the south was temporary:smile:

SMNW can you imagine southern brickies having to take butties to work instead of vol au vents, if only they had a union to fight the cause eh?:shocked:

I'm sure this story runs every year. It'll be freezing, likely snow, rain a lot etc but people just get on with it as they have every other year. I must say, I don't miss the Scottish winters though. Hated scraping my car in the morning and getting wet feet in the snow and sludge!

Guest Guest 47403
Wasn't last years or the year befores the worst for a hundred years?

I think last years was the coldest I seemed to be scrapping ice off the car every morning for about 6 weeks solid, 2010/11 was when we had snow on the ground for ages and the country ground to a halt.

Wasn't last years or the year befores the worst for a hundred years?

Think it was yeah,for me 81 was bad:no:,stuck in a metal cradle,using metal drills,fixing up a block of flats in Walsall,think someone at the time said it was -15?not sure meself,i know its the most layers ive ever had on to work,up 10 stories and yer couldnt see more than a few yards ahead with frost and snow

If the cradle broke down between floors(windows),you had to stand on the icy handrail and knock on the window of the flat above to let yer climb in thru the window,which wasnt too bad,but when yer pulled yerself up,the downward pressure of your feet forced the cradle away from the flats wall,so for a few seconds there was nothing underneath as you were hanging there,until the cradle came back to the wall:twitcy:

Luckily they were sound people,used to give us hot drinks and stuff,if they didnt,we'd rub rock wool insulation into their knickers hanging on the veranda,soz,i was young and freezing!:wubclub:

Never know what to believe with those long term weather predictions though. At the beginning of the British spring this year it was taking ages to warm up, the jet stream seemed to be "stuck" over the UK and the press were full of stories about global warming was causing the jet stream to move further South and it was going to be a terrible summer and the UK had better get used to it because that was how it was going to be till the next ice age or something.

Then you had the best summer in years.

i wouldn't concern yourself. The Express is obsessed with weather, royals, health cures, and immigrants.

None of them are especially newsworthy

On the contrary i think people are interested in the weather, the royals and immigrants and want an idea of what is going on, or perhaps we should all stick to The Guardian and The Mirror for an accurate description!

Think it was yeah,for me 81 was bad:no:,stuck in a metal cradle,using metal drills,fixing up a block of flats in Walsall,think someone at the time said it was -15?not sure meself,i know its the most layers ive ever had on to work,up 10 stories and yer couldnt see more than a few yards ahead with frost and snow

If the cradle broke down between floors(windows),you had to stand on the icy handrail and knock on the window of the flat above to let yer climb in thru the window,which wasnt too bad,but when yer pulled yerself up,the downward pressure of your feet forced the cradle away from the flats wall,so for a few seconds there was nothing underneath as you were hanging there,until the cradle came back to the wall:twitcy:

Luckily they were sound people,used to give us hot drinks and stuff,if they didnt,we'd rub rock wool insulation into their knickers hanging on the veranda,soz,i was young and freezing!:wubclub:

Yes, winter 81 in my home town of Walsall, I remember it well. Snow up to my knees and still made it to school (only to be sent home again). When the Sundays sang about hideous towns I'm sure they were thinking of Walsall, since only Wolverhampton is worse. Bless the place. And 81, in the middle of a recession too, which was knocking seven shades out of the place. You've had fun in your life I can see...

Yes, winter 81 in my home town of Walsall, I remember it well. Snow up to my knees and still made it to school (only to be sent home again). When the Sundays sang about hideous towns I'm sure they were thinking of Walsall, since only Wolverhampton is worse. Bless the place. And 81, in the middle of a recession too, which was knocking seven shades out of the place. You've had fun in your life I can see...

Plenty of fun yeah thanks,i worked there for a year,had the chance to change contract and go to Gibralter for double the £ for the same firm midway through the 12 months,but opted to stay in Walsall and have a beer here and there in the w.mids towns,enjoyed it,because the people were sound,i'll let you run the place down,i found the friendly people made it a decent place,make yer own fun dont yer kidder,try it:wink:

Archived