Halloween...is it big in Oz??

debbio

I am at odds with this one but mainly because I am a spiritualist/ pagan (I don't believe in a set religion I choose what I want to believe) and therefore I love halloween, I go for the commercial fun aspect for the children but I always have an alter with candle and pictures of love ones. However as a newly arrived pom I am not sure how I believe/ understand whether Halloween is the same time, veil of darkness etc. We mark a lot of the soltice's and of course they are the wrong way round too, Don't get me wrng I am not a big practitioner or marker of these events but I like to honour them a little and make them fund for the kids. I have shipped some Halloween decs and will almost certainly put them up this year and see how it goes. We usually have a party for the kids with apple bobbing and trick or treating dependant on weather. We found it hit or miss in the UK and would never go out unless we knew an area was into it. Our last street was lit up light a spooky grotto each year and such a party atmosphere. I don't think it will be popular where we are.

I am at odds with this one but mainly because I am a spiritualist/ pagan (I don't believe in a set religion I choose what I want to believe) and therefore I love halloween, I go for the commercial fun aspect for the children but I always have an alter with candle and pictures of love ones. However as a newly arrived pom I am not sure how I believe/ understand whether Halloween is the same time, veil of darkness etc. We mark a lot of the soltice's and of course they are the wrong way round too, Don't get me wrng I am not a big practitioner or marker of these events but I like to honour them a little and make them fund for the kids. I have shipped some Halloween decs and will almost certainly put them up this year and see how it goes. We usually have a party for the kids with apple bobbing and trick or treating dependant on weather. We found it hit or miss in the UK and would never go out unless we knew an area was into it. Our last street was lit up light a spooky grotto each year and such a party atmosphere. I don't think it will be popular where we are.

That's just one of the reasons I wouldn't celebrate it. Out with the ducking stools ..:laugh:

We get lots of trick or treaters! Always buy a few packets of sweets and chocolate as lots of kids come dressed up in Halloween gear.

We used to get loads of kids coming round dressed up. Not been so many the last few years. Maybe all too busy playing on their phones and social networking to be bothered to actually meet up with a few friends for a bit of fun.

Why on earth would Australians celebrate Guy Fawkes night ?

Halloween is an American thing mainly but you do get kids going around trick or treating here.

It wasn't that I expected Aus to celebrate or have fire works night, it's that it hadn't crossed my mind that it wouldn't as too many bigger issue with migrating to give it a thought. It wasn't till I moved here when November came around and realised there are no fireworks in the shops! Then put two n two together! It's not an issue that there no fireworks night on nov 5th, just an observation. :tongue:

Not been celebrated near us in the couple of years we've been here - it's just not a big thing. I'm fairly thankful though as I'm not a massive fan of it, having never been allowed to go trick or treating as a child it's not something that bring back any fond memories!

It's also our wedding anniversary, so a nice non halloween weekend away or meal out suits me better :biggrin:

Why on earth would Australians celebrate Guy Fawkes night ?

Halloween is an American thing mainly but you do get kids going around trick or treating here.

Hallowe'en originated in Scotland. We went guising as children, not trick or treating, and there was always a big bonfire on every street corner.

Have to agree with Ellie. Scottish halloweens when I was growing up were ace. As a child you were allowed to go out on your own, although with a group of friends. All the neighbours participated.

Then onto England. AGain good but not done without parental supervision and no monkey nuts!! Sign of the times I think and also where you live.

Australia...yes there are Halloween goodies in the shop, so they must do it....but it's not happened where I live

It must depend on where you live. It was massive where we lived in Perth and Sydney. Parties, trick or treating, dressing up - huge! I hate Halloween though and am very glad we live in a field in the middle of nowhere now so we don't have to do anything! Bah humbug...

It must depend on where you live. It was massive where we lived in Perth and Sydney. Parties, trick or treating, dressing up - huge! I hate Halloween though and am very glad we live in a field in the middle of nowhere now so we don't have to do anything! Bah humbug...

Where in Perth did you live? I'd be interested to know if the areas where it seems to be big are populated with people other than aussies?

I would NOT let my children do it in the uk unsupervised but here we have ..........

Why, what's the difference? I wouldn't let young children knock on strangers doors anywhere unsupervised. We always went with our two. Once my daughter got to 12 she went with a group of friends.

In our village, kids only knocked on doors that had put out Halloween paraphernalia. It worked perfectly - the kids got a great reception every time and people who didn't want to join in weren't bothered by trick or treaters.

but in Oz in the 70's they banned public sale of fireworks and that effectively killed the commemorations of Guy Fawkes day / bonfire night

I remember as a kid growing up here that we always celebrated Guy Fawkes Day but as you say after the banning of fireworks it died a natural death plus the fact that we moved on from "British" traditions. Bit of a pity in a way as I somewhat admired Guy Fawkes as he was basically the last person to enter parliament with honest intentions.

I remember as a kid growing up here that we always celebrated Guy Fawkes Day but as you say after the banning of fireworks it died a natural death plus the fact that we moved on from "British" traditions. Bit of a pity in a way as I somewhat admired Guy Fawkes as he was basically the last person to enter parliament with honest intentions.

He technically didn't enter parliament, just hung around underneath it stockpiling explosives!

Archived