Perth - Is it really that bad?

Thatguy

On previous posts Iv made it known im flying into Perth on the 1st of October with a view of staying there for at least 3 months. However, after looking through many threads, there is a lot of negativity shown towards Perth. What I want to know is it really that bad? Iv heard things like very rude people, terrible night scene & lack of amenities etc?

If this is the case I may not stay in Perth all that long as I really desire to go to Melbourne as I hear its a terrific place to be.

If anyone who has traveled Perth as a backpacker or even as a resident who can shed some light on Perth & some of things iv heard id really appreciate it.

Thanks guys!

Leigh

Guest guest30085

Nope, there's nothing wrong with it, I went three times in my 20s/early 30s and managed to get go clubbing, get drunk, dance, and it wasn't at a neighbours BBQ! There is some nightlife, not as much as Sydney etc but then Oz isn't like the UK with a pub on every street.

Never had anyone say anything rude, other than on my first stay when I was about 21, I walked into a pub and some bloke stood at the bar said - you're a Pom then, you don't get much sun over there do you? I'd just landed and as pale as a ghost. That's it, as bad as it got lol hardly rude.

Have a ball, then if isn't for you then move on. Have a good trip :)

Do you really care what other people say about a place? Just go, and see for yourself. Melbourne will still be there. If Perth was as bad as they say it is, its population would be seriously running down.

I started off in Perth and I loved it from moment I disembarked from the ship in Freemantle. As it happens, I stayed for a month, could not get a job, and moved east, (almost) never to return, but I never regretted going there.

Guest The Ropey HOFF

I think there's a small handful on here who say anything negative about it, some of them have never been. You need to look past those tiny few who constantly bag Perth and look at all the many other postive posts from people who live there. Go on the WA forum section and I'm sure you will read far more positives than negatives. I was there for a month and it was bloody fantastic.

On previous posts Iv made it known im flying into Perth on the 1st of October with a view of staying there for at least 3 months. However, after looking through many threads, there is a lot of negativity shown towards Perth. What I want to know is it really that bad? Iv heard things like very rude people, terrible night scene & lack of amenities etc?

If this is the case I may not stay in Perth all that long as I really desire to go to Melbourne as I hear its a terrific place to be.

If anyone who has traveled Perth as a backpacker or even as a resident who can shed some light on Perth & some of things iv heard id really appreciate it.

Thanks guys!

Leigh

The best judge of Perth is you. As for is it really all that bad ....well of course it isn't all bad. Particular aspects of Perth do not suit everybody . If coming as a back packer no doubt you'll have a party as they tend to do regardless of city.

I wouldn't worry. Best thing would be to include both cities and much in between and make up your own mind.

Leigh,take no notice of the anti Perth brigade ,most of them have been here but counldnt hack it then went running back,why go through all the visa process of getting away from a country only to run back ......? why not try another state if your already here , I`ve personally known families come for a matter of weeks then give up,then from the uk they slate a place they don't even know as they never give it a go...........its one of the best Cities in the world to live ............

Perth's fine in a small dose, there are things to do but after a few weeks you've done it all. Come here spend a month here then go east coast..

Tend to agree with that. A month pretty much opens up Perth to the visitor. I'd go up the West Coast and do the circuit providing there is time and money. Do it in a cheap van. If not get over to Melbourne and do the well travelled path to Cairns.

Thanks for all the replies everyone, i really appreciate it. I have to agree, it's clear that there are people out there who just have to complain about something. 99% of the an experience is what you make it so again your right about that, i'll make sure ill have good time no matter what!

Any recommendations on places to visit in Perth? Places to drink? sports etc :biggrin:

Thanks for all the replies everyone, i really appreciate it. I have to agree, it's clear that there are people out there who just have to complain about something. 99% of the an experience is what you make it so again your right about that, i'll make sure ill have good time no matter what!

Any recommendations on places to visit in Perth? Places to drink? sports etc :biggrin:

A club called Connections in the city.. I'm sure your like it ..enjoy

I absolutely loved every minute I spent in Perth and was sad to leave after my two week stay. (I was heading over to the east coast).

Make sure you head over to King's Park. I spent a whole day there relaxing....the views are stunning. There is a bar in the CBD called the Lucky Shag which overlooks the Swan River and was a great place to start an evening. There are a few pubs/clubs in and around the CBD, but cant remember their names. My advice is to just go and explore. It is a wonderful and clean city and the experience will be what you make it.

San Churro at Hillarys Boat Harbour is marvellous if you have a liking for chocolate and donuts!!!

We've been here longer than a month and we love it! We like the beaches, the views, the weather and we have found people to be very friendly and welcoming!

It is very expensive and the quality of goods is very poor generally, but that is the only downside we have found.

The Pizza Place at Currambine Central (if you happen to be in those parts - Pizza Piazza I think it is called), does the best pizzas I have ever tasted (and that includes the ones I had in Italy!) and they are cheaper than Dominos. Personal recommendation from a pizza fanatic! :smile:

Although I couldn't take any more after 4 years in Perth it is definitely not 'that' bad, we had a number of people on WHV / student visas from all over the world stay with us and all had a fabulous time meeting others, going out and sight-seeing.

The reasons why I, a 40 plus married parent didn't find it's attractions long lasting are irrelevant to you. Perth's backpacker community is focused around Northbridge and Frementle. They have very different vibes - Northbridge is where most of the late night pubs and clubs are (Perth City is pretty dead after 9pm though it was improving). Tales of drunken brawls in Northbridge are over exaggerated by the media, it is as safe, if not safer than most UK towns on a Saturday night. Fremantle has a more alternative culture - although there are still clubs and lots of small bars and restaurants. The stereotypical traveller in Freo has bare feet, dreads and a wicked camper!

Must do's are King's Park, Rottnest Island, Penguin Island, swimming with dolphins at Rockingham, the Pinnacles (probably more than a day trip), at least a few days in Margaret River.

At least two of our house guests preferred Perth to Melbourne!