The end of UK emegration?

srg73

So that's it, UK economy is now back on its feet, Mark Carney has announced the continuation of 0.5% interest rates, crime down, unemployment down, house prices up etc etc. In addition Australia sounds to be hitting the buffers, AUS $ in free fall, unemployment climbing, China slowing, immigration peaking etc etc. Well its a no brainer.......isn't it?

We fly in September to test the water again and validate visa's with every intention of going and experiencing Australia which I still believe for the right people has many more opportunities for hard working and well qualified people. Unfortunately the country I love UK has terminal rot developing from within, overcrowded and built on an economy of credit. I wont be scared off by newspapers or media and I continue to look forward to one of life's little adventures in moving to Australia.

S

Just noticed my spelling in the title and yes I did get 8.5 in the IELTS! Sorry

So that's it, UK economy is now back on its feet, Mark Carney has announced the continuation of 0.5% interest rates, crime down, unemployment down, house prices up etc etc. In addition Australia sounds to be hitting the buffers, AUS $ in free fall, unemployment climbing, China slowing, immigration peaking etc etc. Well its a no brainer.......isn't it?

We fly in September to test the water again and validate visa's with every intention of going and experiencing Australia which I still believe for the right people has many more opportunities for hard working and well qualified people. Unfortunately the country I love UK has terminal rot developing from within, overcrowded and built on an economy of credit. I wont be scared off by newspapers or media and I continue to look forward to one of life's little adventures in moving to Australia.

S

Welcome to Australia, a country that has more household debt than the uk and USA before the 2008-09 crash.

Guest guest30085

S

There are problems in both countries, and you will always hear differing reports for each country, but I'm the same, I'm going to give it a go if I get the 'golden ticket'. I know now that I won't be any worse off than I have been in the UK for the last few years, so anything the same or slightly better is worth the move. Everyone will experience Australia in a different way, your perception of a better life may seem worse to another, but if you're willing to give it a go then I hope things work out great for you. Best of luck with your plans x

There are problems in both countries, and you will always hear differing reports for each country, but I'm the same, I'm going to give it a go if I get the 'golden ticket'. I know now that I won't be any worse off than I have been in the UK for the last few years, so anything the same or slightly better is worth the move. Everyone will experience Australia in a different way, your perception of a better life may seem worse to another, but if you're willing to give it a go then I hope things work out great for you. Best of luck with your plans x

Do you have work lined up then..?

Overcrowded? You do realize that less than 10% of the UK is developed?

Credit. Sorry Peach, but it is well recognized that credit in Oz is a major issue. One which has probably been the impetus with Rudds recent grab of bank accounts to insure the banks which may end up with one huge toxic debt.

Opportunities for hard workers? I will let a lot of the unemployed miners I know that. I am sure it will lighten their spirits. Especially the well qualified ones who hold masters degrees or even doctorates. They will be very glad to hear this. Especially one of my good mates who called today to say after 6 months of search he has finally got a job. Minimum wage laboring - he has a degree and two masters degrees and was until April on $200k. He will be very pleased to know that all he needs are qualifications and all is well.

S

Youre right not to be conned. This is a pre election deliberately manufactured feel good bubble and it will burst. As an economist on news night said last night. We have growth but its not sustainable. I love the uk and wouldn't want to live in oz but if you want to go mate, you go, life's too short.

I'm glad that the UK may be turning a corner for the sake of my family and friends that live there, but even then there will people like myself who will still move, just for the fact that we want to try and see new places. Also I now have a life that I could never get in the UK no matter how good it got, because the govt can't control the weather, I couldn't live in a city but yet have the beach on my doorstep and I couldn't go back to the overcrowding.

So it's a no from me, I'm out:chatterbox:

Guest littlesarah

When it comes to being able to work here, I think it all comes down to what you do for a living. For me, there is no shortage of work opportunities, and I was very lucky that I got here in time to be able to seize an opportunity to side-step into a new career; however, there is much less work available for my husband (though having a friend who needed a hand in his business has helped). Having said that, I work in an industry in which massive salaries just aren't the norm, so my salary expectations weren't exactly enormous.

For us, this move was the right one, at the right time (even if the exchange rate did work against us) - but for us the move was never about money. We knew we'd manage as long as I could get a job in my field, and we never expected to land a massive house and a six-figure salary anyway.

Ultimately, people will always move around the world - for some of us, it's our nature to seek out something different from what we know and to seek a 'better' lifestyle (though I think it's important to define 'better' before you give up your home and move to the other side of the world).

I do not believe we are going into recession in Aus, what is happening is that people are repaying their debt which Aussies do when the chips are down. Its a cycle that comes around and most people can weather the storm of ups and downs.

Interesting piece from the SMH which describes our debt

""Australia's average debt-to-disposable income ratio, was at 147 per cent in 2012, a 28 per cent increase from 10 years earlier, the Melbourne Institute's 2012 Household Income and Labour Dynamics in Australia (HILDA) report showed.

However, the average debt-to-assets ratio was a respectable 17.6 per cent, showing that most of that borrowing was high value assets like owner-occupied or investment housing.

Mr Workman said that riskier forms of borrowing like credit cards was currently subdued, with average credit card balances declining.

"As a result, growth in credit card debt is likely to remain weak over the near-term, he said.

The stability of the economy is important to the ability of the borrower to make minimum repayments.

After the onset of the GFC in 2008, the US and most of Europe went into recession and the number of unemployed people rose.

So the increase in the number of loan defaults at the beginning of the GFC had a knock-on effect with the rise in unemployment.

Australia, by comparison avoided a GFC recession, thanks mainly to tougher borrowing regulations, some government spending, a flexible exchange rate and lower interest rates.

"Australia did not have a recession and the most important influence on the housing markets outcomes, the unemployment rate, peaked at just under six per cent," Mr Workman said.""

Its so true most aussie debt is in housing and a lot of it is in investment property so that the people can get tax relief. That is the difference in the two economies. As the banks are regulated they were unable to make the mistakes that US and Brit made. So we had a cushy landing.

That is not to say that firms are not tightening their belts, everytime there is a shift in exports from one commodity to another, or a shift in government policy, people will lose their jobs, as I said in a post before people have to be prepared to change careers more than once in their lifetime its the modern way.

People at the bottom of the feed bucket with limited education and skills are always going to bear the brunt of downturns as people with more skills take their jobs to tide them over till they themselves get another one.

I would rather be here with our debt in Aus than with the debt in Europe where social welfare changes that the EEC keeps making, so many rules and regs, human rights for all the wrong people etc.

If one wants a gravy train stay in Europe or UK if you want to work hard and get ahead then Aus is fine.

I think there are still many migrants coming over that still believe the 'dream' that they will step off the plane at the airport, instantly be offered a dream job earning loads of money, buy a house overlooking the beach, drive a 4x4 and spend all day beside their pool cooking a bbq. For some this will be the reality but for many it will not.

We have a good life here, but it has taken time to achieve, it didn't happen overnight. We started on fairly low wages, but we were grateful to have jobs. We have had our up and downs like most people but we still do not regret our decision to migrate to Adelaide/Australia, but I feel we were always realistic in our expectations.

I personally think a lot of people have unrealistic expectations of life in Australia and the reasons they give for moving here have been created by some sort of urban legend!

Youre right not to be conned. This is a pre election deliberately manufactured feel good bubble and it will burst. As an economist on news night said last night. We have growth but its not sustainable. I love the uk and wouldn't want to live in oz but if you want to go mate, you go, life's too short.

Oz or uk election?

There are two salient points here:

""Australia's average debt-to-disposable income ratio, was at 147 per cent in 2012, a 28 per cent increase from 10 years earlier,

However, the average debt-to-assets ratio was a respectable 17.6 per cent, showing that most of that borrowing was high value assets like owner-occupied or investment housing.

In other words, people are taking on higher levels of debt. (Unless you want to argue that their disposable income has dropped) and they're using the debt to finance housing. The problem with having the majority of your assets in one asset class, is what happens when this asset class takes a down turn. How would the figure look if housing goes down a tenth? In this scenario your debt-to-income level remains high, but the reduced value of your assets means that your debt-to-asset ratio goes up. The second figure really just influences your ability to take on more debt. The first figure influences your ability to pay it off.

It's all very well giving tax relief to the indebted, but where should this shortfall be compensated? Watching Q and A the other night it was clear that none of the major (or minor) parties wanted to address this issue. The term "negative equity" is absolutely taboo for them.

Hold on isn't Australia's economy still growing faster than the UK? Just because UK's economy has picked up a little doesn't make it booming

The sun is shining, I finish work at 3pm, and will head to the beach for a lovely walk with the wife along the sand in Rockingham. The place is clean, people are nice, and we really enjoy the simple life. We have a nice house, 1/2 hr from Perth at 1/2 the price that the CBD demands, so our mortgage is OK. This evening well light our log fire (free heating, plenty of wood offered on Gumtree), and watch one of the public TV channels, or a DVD, and go onto facebook and see how are friends are doing. And this is winter!!!!

We don't drive new cars, or have loans for anything, if we save for it, then we treat ourselves. We also don't compare costs etc with the UK, there's no point, were here so we have to pay local prices. We shop around and find that there are loads of bargains to be had.

Life is what you make it, but I tell you what, we find it 200% better here that in the UK.

We came out here twice before we emigrated and we find the actual life as good as the holidays, even though we hadnt been to WA before.

Don't be put off by others, go with what you want to do, and enjoy it.

Nick

.05% of the UK economy is probably much bigger than the whole of Australia's economy.

If you have a decent job here a failing economy in Oz may well be a good thing as things will get cheaper and you can clean up, if you loose your job then you're in trouble.

However rose tinted glasses or not it all depends on what you were doing before you arrived I guess. I had a good life back in the UK and other countries so for me its..... different place but same sh*t

I think there are still many migrants coming over that still believe the 'dream' that they will step off the plane at the airport, instantly be offered a dream job earning loads of money, buy a house overlooking the beach, drive a 4x4 and spend all day beside their pool cooking a bbq. For some this will be the reality but for many it will not.

We have a good life here, but it has taken time to achieve, it didn't happen overnight. We started on fairly low wages, but we were grateful to have jobs. We have had our up and downs like most people but we still do not regret our decision to migrate to Adelaide/Australia, but I feel we were always realistic in our expectations.

I personally think a lot of people have unrealistic expectations of life in Australia and the reasons they give for moving here have been created by some sort of urban legend!

I've never met a migrant yet who expected that particular "dream". They are usually pretty clued up about what to expect.

Archived