Joondalup...what a city!!!

HappyHeart

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe ive been put off with Joondalup , had only been here 3 weeks and someone came at me with a knife .......broad daylight , only my quick instints and a traffic warden saved me and mrs tonyman from a proper stabbing , also happened in Tenerife, two guys with knives against me n mrs tonyman ...somehow I dodged them ........maybe its me they are after ..............:wideeyed:

Very glad to hear some lovely things about Joondalup as this is where we have whittled down to where we fancy when we get to Perth, like the sounds of Ocean Reef also but Joondalup seems to be a little city in itself and have all the amenities and close enough to the coast to be just right for us :)

Sorry to hear that Tonyman..that's absolutely shocking:shocked: and I think Id have just frozen with fear! Hope they caught the sickos.

Very glad to hear some lovely things about Joondalup as this is where we have whittled down to where we fancy when we get to Perth, like the sounds of Ocean Reef also but Joondalup seems to be a little city in itself and have all the amenities and close enough to the coast to be just right for us :)

Sorry to hear that Tonyman..that's absolutely shocking:shocked: and I think Id have just frozen with fear! Hope they caught the sickos.

Ocean Reef is a 5 minute drive away from the City of Joondalup. Personally I wouldn't live in Joondalup itself but the suburbs surrounding it are all very liveable IMO.

Ah right, I knew it was close but didn't realise it was that close :) Thanks northernbird.

So, for those who know-what kinds of shops and amenities does Joondalup have then? Would love to hear a bit of insider info of all it has to offer in ways of grocery shopping, fashion stores, amenities like doctors, schools, places to take the kids, parks, pools, days out etc.....? :)

*****own thread started for those with any input :)******

It wasn't on the map in 1963; the lake was surrounded by virgin bush and was part of the Wanneroo Wetlands, supposedly a nature reserve not to be utilised...From memory, Sorrento and Craigie were just being opened up.

Cheers, Bobj.

It has loads of streets with bars and cafes that vary in how busy they are, time of day, week etc. It is certainly nothing like a city in the UK in terms of people...it is quiet. It is relatively new and the quietness reflects the population in the area. I've been into bars that look busy never packed, cafes that are busy, lakeside shopping centre is TOO busy for me. If you're after a city to compare to Bryn, London or Manc, no comparison. As I've said before it is what it is and very nice it is too. Not cosmopolitan as some areas closer to the city are but very modern and bright. Lots of poms. With lots of Aussies too. And other nationalities but less Asian I think?

Guest Guest26012
Like Joondalup, don't get there often usually only to Lakeside for shopping.

Lol! I work in Joondalup, forgot? So I go there quite a lot! :embarrassed:

what restaurants and pubs, other than lakeside and the big furniture places etc what shops?

have i missed it but to me there's nothing there????

I've been here long enough to remember Joondalup hospital as the Old Wanneroo hospital. Our eldest who was 2 at the time had an asthma attack in the middle of the night and we took him in. It was the first time we'd been to Joondalup, it was December of 92 and the roads and street lights had been put in but there were no buildings to speak of. Strange looking place then, driving through what was almost bush, got to Joondalup and it was like wide roads with street lights and then another "track" to the hospital. The change in the place over the years has been incredible. Wish we had taken time lapse photos. In fact it would have been good if we had taken the whole area.

One of the things I felt a bit sorry for Wanneroo was when they changed a few boundaries around. Wanneroo seemed to end up with all the suburbs that were a bit naff and Joondalup was expanded and got all the good bits.:laugh:

Fast Eddys in Lakeside Shopping Centre do the best pancakes in maple syrup I have ever tasted :smile:. I've had them so often now I walk up and they smile and say, "the usual"? I like it :cool:

I like the sound of that. Have to give it a try.:biggrin: There's a doughnut shop in the middle of the shopping centre where you can get freshly made donuts and a cup of coffee for about 4 dollars. can't go past it. My wife always knows I've been somehow.

Forgot to mention the excellent library and the Uni building. One of the nicest around. My Niece is an architect and was really impressed with the building and took loads of photos when she was here. The whole of the Uni campus is nice. Love the movies outdoor there in the summer.

For a great cheap meal go to Kulcha, can't beat it, don't know how they do it for the price.

And the leisure centre. 50m indoor olympic size pool, lazy river thing for the kids, water slides, home of the West Perth footy side so great oval, fantastic facilities for just about everything, good gym, tennis courts, netball, five a side, soccer pitches. Only thing they seem to be missing is squash courts.:biggrin:

Maybe ive been put off with Joondalup , had only been here 3 weeks and someone came at me with a knife .......broad daylight , only my quick instints and a traffic warden saved me and mrs tonyman from a proper stabbing , also happened in Tenerife, two guys with knives against me n mrs tonyman ...somehow I dodged them ........maybe its me they are after ..............:wideeyed:

Must be you Tonyman.:wink: That's beyond unlucky tbh. I've been to Tenerife and go to Joondalup a lot. I've seen a bit of trouble at night in a couple of pubs but that's about it.

what restaurants and pubs, other than lakeside and the big furniture places etc what shops?

Don't know how many shops there are in Lakeside dusty but there's loads. Like any other shopping centre around the world I reckon you could get just about anything. If you've only been to Lakeside you've missed a lot. There are quite a few pubs and restaurants, go when the Friday night markets and Joondalup festival is on, you'll see it in a different light. We've seen some good bands and entertainment there, all free. There is also the park in the centre. Used to take the kids there a lot when they were younger, youngest would spend hours just sailing his toy boat down the waterfall thingy. Mountain bike trail round the lake.

Here's a good website for the shopping centre with a store finder.

http://www.lakesidejoondalup.com/en/stores/store finder.aspx

There's the cinema on the same site too.

I like the sound of that. Have to give it a try.:biggrin: There's a doughnut shop in the middle of the shopping centre where you can get freshly made donuts and a cup of coffee for about 4 dollars. can't go past it. My wife always knows I've been somehow.

It's the sugar on your chin that gives it away :biggrin:

Have you been into the centre at all? Driven down Grand Bvd? There's cafes and restaurants down all the side streets, big Dome opposite library, Paddy Wotsits Irish pub, old Bailey, a variety of overpriced bars down grand bvd, several Italian and Indian eateries..lots of little shops and opposite lakeside a huge retail park with all the furniture shops and smaller retailers. I don't know what you're on about tbh its literally heaving.

Have you been into the centre at all? Driven down Grand Bvd? There's cafes and restaurants down all the side streets, big Dome opposite library, Paddy Wotsits Irish pub, old Bailey, a variety of overpriced bars down grand bvd, several Italian and Indian eateries..lots of little shops and opposite lakeside a huge retail park with all the furniture shops and smaller retailers. I don't know what you're on about tbh its literally heaving.

I like how the local name for the Grand Boulevard Tavern, GBT is GBH. That's just English sense of humour though. I've had a couple of good nights in there. Usually some decent live music, good for the younger crowd.

We went for a few pints in Joondalup last week, first time in years. Went 4 pubs, think that’s all there is in the Town Centre. I like the Irish pub and the Sovereign, I don’t like the Bailey and the Boulevard, bit rough and blokey those 2. If you live anywhere near the Cornerstone, Whale & Ale or the new one in Currambine, the Sovereign is pretty much the same as those. The Irish place is, well, like an Irish place. I had a black pudding/potato cake stack in there with crispy bacon and creamy cider sauce, delish.

Archived