Official nurses thread!

Guest scots-in-oz!

Hi all,,, i was almost at the end of my application for registration when AHPRA took over in july, now i cant find out if the NMB of NSW have forwarded my application to AHPRA or if i need to make a whole new application, i have tried numerous times to contact both but as you can imagine have had zero luck, is anyone else in the same postition or can anyone shed some light on this for me please. Cheryl.

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi everyone,

My skills assessment was submitted to ANMC on 21st June. Has anyone had determination for full assessment recently and how long did it take.

I do know someone who got determination for their modified assessmeent in 5 weeks but was wondering what the current wait was for full assessments.

It says 6 - 8 weeks on the website but was just hopeful it may be quicker. Wishful thinking I know.:daydreaming:

Thanks.

x Helen

I'd really appreciate any comments.

I had a phone interview for a nursing job in Mornington, Vic at the start of July. I thought the interview went well (which is prob a bad sign!) and was told i'd hear in due time. The potential employers did ask for referrences the next day from my UK line manager.

Each day i faithfully check my emails to see if a decision's been made but nothing. It's now 12days since the interview, should i assume i've not got the job or am i just reading too much into it?

Ian

Any news?

JOHN

Hi all,,, i was almost at the end of my application for registration when AHPRA took over in july, now i cant find out if the NMB of NSW have forwarded my application to AHPRA or if i need to make a whole new application, i have tried numerous times to contact both but as you can imagine have had zero luck, is anyone else in the same postition or can anyone shed some light on this for me please. Cheryl.

Hi, I'm in a similar position. I got the ANMC to send my docs from my skills assessment to Queensland Nursing Council, sat the IELTS, waited 3 weeks (for IELTS place to send results) and then sent my application for registration to QNC.

QNC said they hadn't got my IELTS results and returned my application and by the time they had been resent, AHPRA had taken over. I have no idea who has my documents. The QNC website has disappeared and AHPRA don't appear to have capacity to reply to emails.

I am just in limbo. We plan to fly next month so hope I can do it in person after arrival (which was one of my questions to AHPRA that they can't be bothered to answer).

I am currently applying for other (non nursing) jobs until they get their act together. Surely they can come up with some way of streamlining the registration process if you've fulfilled the skills assessment. Why on earth would they grant permanent residency for a skill that is in short supply and then apply different criteria when you want to work in that field?

Guest emmahardy214
Hi, I'm in a similar position. I got the ANMC to send my docs from my skills assessment to Queensland Nursing Council, sat the IELTS, waited 3 weeks (for IELTS place to send results) and then sent my application for registration to QNC.

QNC said they hadn't got my IELTS results and returned my application and by the time they had been resent, AHPRA had taken over. I have no idea who has my documents. The QNC website has disappeared and AHPRA don't appear to have capacity to reply to emails.

I am just in limbo. We plan to fly next month so hope I can do it in person after arrival (which was one of my questions to AHPRA that they can't be bothered to answer).

I am currently applying for other (non nursing) jobs until they get their act together. Surely they can come up with some way of streamlining the registration process if you've fulfilled the skills assessment. Why on earth would they grant permanent residency for a skill that is in short supply and then apply different criteria when you want to work in that field?

i was in a similar position with the ielts results. when you receive your copy and send your forms straight away they sometimes get there before the official results get there. i was lucky this all happend before xmas and i eventually got it sorted. i do not think that AHPRA can't be bothered to answer you i think its just really full on for those guys at the minute. we only went over to the new sustem on the 1st of july and they are trying to process all registrations for all areas! i have been in touch with them over a different matter and had an e mail reply from them. they probably haven't replied as they wont be able to tell you anything until they plough through the information they are getting on a daily basis. sorry i cant be of more help. emma

i was in a similar position with the ielts results. when you receive your copy and send your forms straight away they sometimes get there before the official results get there. i was lucky this all happend before xmas and i eventually got it sorted. i do not think that AHPRA can't be bothered to answer you i think its just really full on for those guys at the minute. we only went over to the new sustem on the 1st of july and they are trying to process all registrations for all areas! i have been in touch with them over a different matter and had an e mail reply from them. they probably haven't replied as they wont be able to tell you anything until they plough through the information they are getting on a daily basis. sorry i cant be of more help. emma

Hi Em,

Thanks for that. I was a bit hard on them! I realise they are really busy. It's just so stressful for us at the moment! Should have exchanged contracts on the house yesterday but solicitors are too relaxed, shippers are hounding us to collect our stuff, can't get registered to work if I even get there. Have worked my notice in the UK and just want off! I'm not planning on working for the first 3 months in Oz, so hopefully I can sort it out when I'm there. It's just some things are so much easier in the UK -like paying for the NMC to send verifications and getting more references etc.

Thanks again.:smile:

Brisbane area !

We have Positions running for RN's. We are looking for enthusiastic and motivated RN's. Experienced within the Aged Care

Night Shifts/ PM just waiting for you.

The successful applicant is required be a Registered with Queensland Nursing Council

An excellent opportunity has become available within our non profit organization.

Modern facility and equipment.

We are like home environment.

Not able to sponsor no one as it is a non profit organization.

e-mail: lookingforstaff@care2.com

Guest chihiro

could a nurse working in Australia tell me the name of a reference book for medication that are used here ?

I am waiting for my registration and would like to get up to date since i use to work in France.

Thx

Guest emmahardy214
could a nurse working in Australia tell me the name of a reference book for medication that are used here ?

I am waiting for my registration and would like to get up to date since i use to work in France.

Thx

we use the mims. i think you can get it online. emma

Guest emmahardy214
Hi Em,

Thanks for that. I was a bit hard on them! I realise they are really busy. It's just so stressful for us at the moment! Should have exchanged contracts on the house yesterday but solicitors are too relaxed, shippers are hounding us to collect our stuff, can't get registered to work if I even get there. Have worked my notice in the UK and just want off! I'm not planning on working for the first 3 months in Oz, so hopefully I can sort it out when I'm there. It's just some things are so much easier in the UK -like paying for the NMC to send verifications and getting more references etc.

Thanks again.:smile:

even when you get here its not all plain sailing. queensland health have just implemented a new payroll system and many many many nurses havent even been paid or incorrectly paid either under or over! you might as well get your stuff shipped coz it took two months after the date it landed in oz! hope this helps emma

Hi

is there anybody working as a nurse with addictions or homelessness in the Melbourne area I have a potential job interview coming up and wondered if anybody had experience on how things differ to the uk.

It would be great to hear from anybody, please!

THanks

Guest sunnyday

I have an IELTs 2009 practice booklet that a lovely PIOer sent me. If anyone wants it I'm happy to post it on but it will have to be in the next couple of days, PM me if you want it

Bye :wubclub:

• 2 weeks later...
Guest timnlinds

Hi, I'm a RN on a 457 in Melbourne and have put in my application for Permanent Residency on a ENS856. We put the application in a month ago and when I rang yesterday they said that it would take 4 months to get a case worker and 6 months to process. We thought that it was only going to be 6 weeks.

Does anyone know if this has changed? Is there any way that the hospital can speed this up?

Thanks, Linds

Hi

I have been working in UK as a ward manager on otrhopaedics ward for 10yrs, moved to Gold Coast on permanent visa in April. I have not registered with QNC as I need to pass IELTS exam which I have booked for 14th of August, if I pass that than I can apply for pin number. It is bit complicated as I qualified in Croatia but hopefuly it will be ok as I worked and did courses in UK and ANC accepted my application and granted me permanent residency. I am single mother with two children. Daughter 10yrs old and son 4yrs i wanted to ask if anyone knows how much is avarage nurses pay in Queensland and what are the working hours ie. can I choose which hours I can work like I did in UK. Any advice regarding work in the hospital in Queensland would be usefull. Many thanks.

i would strongly recommend that you look into the temporary 457 visa. I am on the grad programme in townsville and they will sponsor me for permanent residencey after a year. in comparison to the other visas its the cheapest and easiest way of getting here and getting a foot in the door. i have had no problems on this visa. also just wanted to say YOU WILL HAVE TO SIT THE IELTS TO GET REGISTRATION!!! anyone sat thinking "maybe i wont have to do it" believe me you will! emma

Hi Emma

Small world!! I'm in Townsville which hospital are you at???

Been here nearly 2 years never had to sit ielts then.

Clare xx

Hi eveyone

This is my first post on the 'official nurses thread' I do apologise if I am asking things which have already been asked but I simply could not read through 230 pages of posts, such a huge thread!

Anyway, i'm Marie a newly qualified midwife (very newly qualified I passed my final assessment today! So happy!) I've got a job in the UK where I want to complete my preceptorship with a view to go to Oz once this is finished I want to be there by next September. I'm not 100% decided on where yet but I like queensland gold coast/ sunshine coas, maybe carins - who knows, guess it depends where the jobs are!!

I have been doing lots of research, i'm finding it hard to get anything concrete on wages after an hour of searchig I found some info on newly qualified mw's in NSW but I figure it will be fairly differen't in QLD - so firstly can anyone give me any idea?

Secondly I had an intial consultant with Geneva Health on Sunday night, they seem fairly good but I know very little about them. Can anyone give me any info? Has anyone used Geneva Health to help them with the move?

Thanks in advance!

Marie :cute:

Hi Marie and welcome to PIO.

I dont know anything about Geneva health so cant really help you there but I have heard they are a huge agency, we do use a lot of agency nurses and some are from Geneva and some from Drake. Midwives are on the same pay scale as nurses here as most are not direct entry midwives. They are general trained nurses who work on midwifery units. therefore are paid on the same scale as nurses. You would start as a level 1 nurse/midwife but i'm not sure how much that is. Check out the Queensland Health website and they might be able to help.

My sister was working here as a midwife but went back to the uk. I dont want to put you off but midwives here do not have as much autonomy as in the UK. Please do your research on this. Things are changing slowly and they are now training direct entry midwives so things will progress. You might even be able to help this along. I would go to an Australian Expo if you can and talk to the people there. they have them every year I think. this is how I got my job. I'm at the Mater in Brisbane.

congratulations on passing your assessments...

Lynne

why u going back to uk?? i have not heard good things about the mater. is it work or home??

Our daughter is missing home she's 11 and want to do secondary school over there, I do admit I think the education is better in UK.

Yes the Mater is an interesting place to work I won't say to much as I think they have spys on some of these forums!!!!

I enjoy where I work now I'm at the Hyde Park Hospital, love the girls I work with and have a great unit manager. I did start at Pimlico and that was hard going I did a year there and don't think I ever fully settled.

We are just trying to sell our house and then we're off, to be honest it's lovely here at this time of year but can't stand another summer!!!

How are you enjoying your grad year??

Hi eveyone

This is my first post on the 'official nurses thread' I do apologise if I am asking things which have already been asked but I simply could not read through 230 pages of posts, such a huge thread!

Anyway, i'm Marie a newly qualified midwife (very newly qualified I passed my final assessment today! So happy!) I've got a job in the UK where I want to complete my preceptorship with a view to go to Oz once this is finished I want to be there by next September. I'm not 100% decided on where yet but I like queensland gold coast/ sunshine coas, maybe carins - who knows, guess it depends where the jobs are!!

I have been doing lots of research, i'm finding it hard to get anything concrete on wages after an hour of searchig I found some info on newly qualified mw's in NSW but I figure it will be fairly differen't in QLD - so firstly can anyone give me any idea?

Secondly I had an intial consultant with Geneva Health on Sunday night, they seem fairly good but I know very little about them. Can anyone give me any info? Has anyone used Geneva Health to help them with the move?

Thanks in advance!

Marie :cute:

Hi Marie,

Welcome to PIO! I am a relatively newly qualified nurse (sept 2009). I am wanting to go to Oz next Nov, working at the mo to gain as much experience as possible first. A few of my friends have used Geneva Health and they all highly recommend them. Regarding wages, for a Level 1 nurse/midwife (thats you and i) the salary is around $49,000 (thats in WA), not sure if thats the same across the board!

Hope this helps a bit, go on to hospital websites often they have a lot of info on jobs etc. Maybe you could consider the Graduation Programme some offer.

Good Luck

c x

Guest itsSHIRLEY

Hi everyone, big changes have been happening over the year regarding nurses and registration etc. The DIAC website still states that nurses will recieve proirity processing. What does this mean for us nurses. When emailing the DIAC they just keep sending me info on the different levels of proirity, for example highest proirity employer sponsered. Why dont they state exactly what kind of proirity nurse get. DOES ANYONE KNOW

Hi Marie,

Welcome to PIO! I am a relatively newly qualified nurse (sept 2009). I am wanting to go to Oz next Nov, working at the mo to gain as much experience as possible first. A few of my friends have used Geneva Health and they all highly recommend them. Regarding wages, for a Level 1 nurse/midwife (thats you and i) the salary is around $49,000 (thats in WA), not sure if thats the same across the board!

Hope this helps a bit, go on to hospital websites often they have a lot of info on jobs etc. Maybe you could consider the Graduation Programme some offer.

Good Luck

i am worried now, i told my wife the wages were about $60 to about $80k, i am sure i seen on some sites for nursing jobs that was the case !!!!

my wife is qualified nurse for 12 yrs now, and has worked in the same hospital since she passed. would this encure more wages maybe ?

chris

Archived