Official nurses thread!

Guest scots-in-oz!

Guest maveli

hi, is there any one out there who knows about the 457 visa and IELTS . my wife is nurse and we are planning to move to au early next year. She has got the registration with Victoria nursing board about 2 years ago. does she need to sit for for an IELTS test again to get a 457 visa? some body please reply so that she can start preparing for it from now.

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest cosmicsis

Hi,

In order to apply for a visa your wife must first have her skills assessed by ANMC which requires her to do a IELTS test first, before she can go any further. Even though registered with Vic Nursing Board - she would have to check if still registered but in order to get visa she would have to sit IELTS test anyway so i would start there. Have a look on www.immi.gov.au and that will give you all the info and links re: visa and having nursing skills assessed. Good Luck, x

Guest maveli

thanks for your reply, I have done some digging in the link given by you and all i can gather is those who hold a British passport doesn't need to meet the English language requirement.

Guest SunshineSmile
Hi,

In order to apply for a visa your wife must first have her skills assessed by ANMC which requires her to do a IELTS test first, before she can go any further. Even though registered with Vic Nursing Board - she would have to check if still registered but in order to get visa she would have to sit IELTS test anyway so i would start there. Have a look on www.immi.gov.au and that will give you all the info and links re: visa and having nursing skills assessed. Good Luck, x

Hi Guys.. just sticking my nose in here :wink:

You dont need to have your skills assessed if you plan to come on a 457..(thats only if you want state sponsorship or PR) if your Vic nursing board reg is still current, you will need to re-new it from 1st JUly onwards with AHPRA ( the new Australia wide regulatory board for all healthcare professionals). You will need your IELTS to get your visa tho as you say..

hope that helps guys x

Guest cosmicsis

ooops! Sorry :wacko::wacko::wacko::wacko: thought that as a nurse you had to have your skills assessed whatever your visa. IELTS test is the first thing to do though as we said and glad the link has been useful x

Guest guest17301

You will need skills assessed if you plan to apply for PR at any point. You can do this later rather than sooner though if you go on a 457

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

Just really stressing at the minute and thought maybe i could get some advice from here. Please!!!

Here goes.

My name is Nicola and i am a nurse.

My OH AND i were initially applying for the 175 PR VISA only to have the rug dragged from under our feet when the changes to the points test came in and we lost 15 points leaving us 5 point short of the 120 needed.

Our migration agent told us not to worry we could apply for the 176 sponser route.

We carried on, I passed the IELTS in May and sent all my docs for the skills assessment to my migration agent who sent them and the paper based application to the ANMC a fortnight ago just in time for the deadline i was told. Woohoo

Today i receive a letter from my migration agent saying they are ceasing to trade and i have discovered that the ANMC are no longer accepting paper based applications. I realise they will probably just send the info back and i'll have to apply on line, but come on someone give us a break.

Sorry for venting I'm just feeling really hung out to dry right now, and to be honest unsure of who to trust. Roll on July 1st maybe the points system will be lowered just for me.:cry::biglaugh::cry::sad:

It's all abit of a nightmare alright! I was planning on 175 - then lost points :(

I'm aiming to head for NSW ( which is where my sister is), but doesn't look like they'll be sponsoring nurses...plan c was for family sponsored 176 - that might be culled too! Arghhhh!!!!

The anmc changed slightly at the beginning of march when you had to fill the online form in, then print it off and send, instead of the handwritten version. I'm not sure if they've gone fully online.

What are you going to do with your agent? I'd be tempted to go it alone and save some dosh - doesn't sound like s/he's been much help anyway!! Good luck with it all...roll on news from the DIAC!

Cheers for listening, Sounds like i'm not the only one whose head is spinning with it all. I thought my agent was fab, they were recommended through a friend and even though i'm really annoyed they felt that because of all the recent changes to the visa process they were unable to carry on. (That doesn't sound good at all does it?)But still i expected them to know about the online application changes.

I suppose we will try to go it alone but i think will have to wait to find out what the 1st brings.

Good Luck

Cheers again x

It's all abit of a nightmare alright! I was planning on 175 - then lost points :(

I'm aiming to head for NSW ( which is where my sister is), but doesn't look like they'll be sponsoring nurses...plan c was for family sponsored 176 - that might be culled too! Arghhhh!!!!

The anmc changed slightly at the beginning of march when you had to fill the online form in, then print it off and send, instead of the handwritten version. I'm not sure if they've gone fully online.

What are you going to do with your agent? I'd be tempted to go it alone and save some dosh - doesn't sound like s/he's been much help anyway!! Good luck with it all...roll on news from the DIAC!

Thanks so much, its just so great to know that others are listening,

Good luck x:wubclub:

Hi all,

Just really stressing at the minute and thought maybe i could get some advice from here. Please!!!

Here goes.

My name is Nicola and i am a nurse.

My OH AND i were initially applying for the 175 PR VISA only to have the rug dragged from under our feet when the changes to the points test came in and we lost 15 points leaving us 5 point short of the 120 needed.

Our migration agent told us not to worry we could apply for the 176 sponser route.

We carried on, I passed the IELTS in May and sent all my docs for the skills assessment to my migration agent who sent them and the paper based application to the ANMC a fortnight ago just in time for the deadline i was told. Woohoo

Today i receive a letter from my migration agent saying they are ceasing to trade and i have discovered that the ANMC are no longer accepting paper based applications. I realise they will probably just send the info back and i'll have to apply on line, but come on someone give us a break.

Sorry for venting I'm just feeling really hung out to dry right now, and to be honest unsure of who to trust. Roll on July 1st maybe the points system will be lowered just for me.:cry::biglaugh::cry::sad:

Hey

I think we all felt the same when the points were taken away - there are now so many of us 5 measly points short of being able to go for a 175!!

We are going to go for a 176 to WA after months of deciding between there and QLD.

The waiting just drags on and on. We made the decision to go in Oct 09 but I had worked a few months at 19.5 hrs / wk (childcare issues) so had to wait til Dec to have hours made up to officially 20 / wk and now have to wait til Dec this year to even apply for SS / SMP and thats even before applying for the visa. We were hoping to get there late 2011 so it will be 2 yrs from the decision to emigrate was made, which I know and appreciate is still a shorter timespan than for some. I just want it to happen !! Least the dreaded IELTS is done and dusted.

Hey

I think we all felt the same when the points were taken away - there are now so many of us 5 measly points short of being able to go for a 175!!

We are going to go for a 176 to WA after months of deciding between there and QLD.

The waiting just drags on and on. We made the decision to go in Oct 09 but I had worked a few months at 19.5 hrs / wk (childcare issues) so had to wait til Dec to have hours made up to officially 20 / wk and now have to wait til Dec this year to even apply for SS / SMP and thats even before applying for the visa. We were hoping to get there late 2011 so it will be 2 yrs from the decision to emigrate was made, which I know and appreciate is still a shorter timespan than for some. I just want it to happen !! Least the dreaded IELTS is done and dusted.

We to are looking at WA and the 175 would have been ideal cause we wanted to have the validation trip then have the five years in order to sort things out here. Now if we go the 176 sponsership route i'm worried we'll have to make the move sooner and we won't be ready. Our kids are a bit older and in uni so we wanted to make sure they were sorted before we left. I don't no if we could do that with the 176. Maybe like you we'll just have to bite the bullet. I agree about the IELTS i wouldn't have gotten through if it was for PIO.

Good Luck Nik x :wacko:

Cheers for listening, Sounds like i'm not the only one whose head is spinning with it all. I thought my agent was fab, they were recommended through a friend and even though i'm really annoyed they felt that because of all the recent changes to the visa process they were unable to carry on. (That doesn't sound good at all does it?)But still i expected them to know about the online application changes.

I suppose we will try to go it alone but i think will have to wait to find out what the 1st brings.

Good Luck

Cheers again x

Hi Nic,

Your not having a fab time are u? I know its pants that you agent has ceased but believe me if I can get my visa in the bag on my own steam - then anyone can!:laugh: The hardest thing is getting your head around the stages and what feeds the next step, but sounds as if you are well on your way already!!

And think of all that lovely money you will save - go girl, give me a shout! I am new on here but was an established member on the 'other' forum!

Happy to help if I can - Good Luck!!

Debs x

Hey Nic, sorry to hear you are having such a hard time of it, but keep going its worth it in the end.

I agree with Debs, go it alone, i'm a real technophobe and even I managed it lol.. its not that hard when you just break it down into bite sized chunks and do one step at a time. Good luck.

Ps .. sue your agent lol xx

Thankyou all so much!!!!!!!!!

Stress over i have my determined head on, and realise i can call on PIO for the much needed advice along the way. If I can pass the IELTS i can do this (i think) LOL

I have emailed the ANMC who received the paper based application and as expected sent it back to my agent.

But its OK they have been really helpful, only thing is the registration cost increases from tomorrow.

I'm not stressing, i work for the NHS, i can do mindless assessments and applications. I work for the NHS the pay freeze won't affect me.

Looking forward to sun, sea and sanity x Nic x:daydreaming::err::yes: Love the smilies

well like a few others on here its not that bad, we have done it alone form the start have have been so so worried we gona mess up but fingers crossed. we also have had the post moved on us when started the apps, first the pionts loss, then having to gain them by Ielts.

then the worry last month abou the new list, and then when we had just sent our forms of to ANMC we found out a few days later about the online thing, then about 2/3 weeks later ( fair play to ANMC) we got all the paper work back and explianed why and how to reapply, so we have done, and my wife checked y'day online and says they have recieved the paperwork and payment so looks ggod so far.

good luck.

chris

Thankyou all so much!!!!!!!!!

Stress over i have my determined head on, and realise i can call on PIO for the much needed advice along the way. If I can pass the IELTS i can do this (i think) LOL

I have emailed the ANMC who received the paper based application and as expected sent it back to my agent.

But its OK they have been really helpful, only thing is the registration cost increases from tomorrow.

I'm not stressing, i work for the NHS, i can do mindless assessments and applications. I work for the NHS the pay freeze won't affect me.

Looking forward to sun, sea and sanity x Nic x:daydreaming::err::yes: Love the smilies

Hi again,

Just a quick one i've just applied online to the ANMC and will send all my info ASAP. (Just have to wait for the old one to be sent back)

My question is - What is the next step? I know all relies on the decisions from the DIAC tomorrow, but not sure what to do next. LOL:swoon:

i think you can start your online visa app, but can only go so far until you get the ANMC to reply with your skills ass passed, a number i think lol

then a s far as i am aware, once you can finish your visa online, have to wiat until you get a CO allocated then they will tell you when to go for your medical sand police checks.

Guest donna888

Hi there - I am Donna, a community nurse (only qualified in feb) with husband and 3 children under 8. Am really interested in emigrating to Oz (hubby and i spent a year in Sydney years ago), but dont understand the costs for all of us on the 175 independent visa. Also how long does it take? What is the process?? Can anyone help? seriously confused - but new to this site and just worked 7 days - long shifts so have brain meltdown!! Thanks

Guest donna888

HI there, I am Donna, a community staff nurse for past 4 months as only qualified in Feb 10. Am really interested in applying to migrate to Oz, dont mind where, with Hubby, and boys, 8,4 & 14months.

Please can anyone tell me where i start? how do you get a job from here? do you need a job before applying for visa? would the 175 visa be the best and how much would it cost for family of 5? Does the visa process for nurses take long? Am i better just going thru an agency? Please please - any advise as i havn't a clue where to start would be great!!!:no:

Guest donna888
Hi, I'm Tania.....started going down the 175/176 visa route for myself, a surgical nurse and family of 5, all heading for Vic....we started the process, nearly 8 weeks ago now, starting with applying for registration with nursing board of Vic, still waiting for this back! Everything seems to be very slow and we're not too patient! We're using a migration agency in Perth, as we just want to be up to date with all the new regs coming out and having someone to guide you through what to send and when and what to write, is a real bonus! I've passed the English IELts test too, for the ANMC skills assesment, which has been completed and is ready to send off once registration comes back, same time being lodged will be sponsorship by Victoria, then once all thats back its the main visa application. Seems an awful lot but don't let it put you off. Jobwise, it seems to be that agencies are keen to get you on their books and help get a job, but then you seem to be tied to that job for 2 yrs? not good if don't like it. So once we're nearer completion i'm going to apply directly to hospitals...just a case of looking for hospitals in area settling and looking at their vacancies online. Telphone interviews seem to be quite common due to distances in Oz. It's very frustrating having to wait so long for everything...but if its something you really want to do...don't let it put you off..it'll be worth it. We're all heading out July next yr once my 15yr old has finished her GCSE's, we also have an 18yr old, a 22yr old(who is following us in 2-3 yrs time, when he has enough qualifications of his own), and a 5yrold and a 3 yr old...so for us, personally, the agency was the best route...it costs.....about £1,600 payable in 2 lots to the agency, but they work on no visa no fee basis, so only take you on if fairly certain will be successful. The other fees are obviously still payable, and they do add up.......hope this might be of some help....we lived an hour from Brisbane and had our house built, some 18yrs ago now...long and boring story but was in previous marriage and it just wasn't the right thing for us at that time so we came home after 3 years and sold up. WE also found Queensland excessively hot! Hence, we're heading for Victoria this time, little bit cooler, but still lovely weather. All the vrey best to you all. give us a shout if can help any more. Tania :)

Hi there - just reading thru as all new and i am very confused where to start - can i ask was that 1600 altogether -for all the family? I am trying to work out costs for me, hubby and 3 children 8,4 and 14months... thanks

Hi there - I am Donna, a community nurse (only qualified in feb) with husband and 3 children under 8. Am really interested in emigrating to Oz (hubby and i spent a year in Sydney years ago), but dont understand the costs for all of us on the 175 independent visa. Also how long does it take? What is the process?? Can anyone help? seriously confused - but new to this site and just worked 7 days - long shifts so have brain meltdown!! Thanks

Hi Donna,

I got my 175 in April 2010 - applied Dec 09 and was given an estimate of 15 months processing at that point but obviously a LOT quicker!!

I'll give you a breakdown of what process I took - applied online myself (no agent - kept costs down big time!:laugh:) and costs !!:eek:

1) Sat IELTS english exam = £105

2) Applied to ANMC skills verification = £400 ish

3) To undertake skills verifications, DICA Visa application needed MANY documents Verifying = £200 (cost seems to vary some got it a lot cheaper than me!!)

4) Once Recieved positive skills assessment lodged 175 visa application = £1425

5) When instructed had medicals = family of four £900

and Police checks = Think £70 for 2 adults

6) Finally registered with Nursing Council = £98 + £60

Hope that helps - good luck!

Guest donna888

Ah you star! thanks for the info. So you pay for one visa app not for each person in the family? Also, once you apply for the 175, is it then you can start applying with the state you want to live/work in? and for jobs? Also, one more question.... once (fingers crossed) you get your visa - do you have a certain time to enter Oz? would be worried if house didn't sell etc.....

Thanks again for your help!!!

I think you do only have a certain amount of time to validate your visa but I'm not sure how long. If it looks like you are not going to be ready in time ie house not selling then the main applicant of the visa (I'm assuming you) would have to make a quick trip to Australia to validate it. I have heard of some who just fly to oz then fly straight back again. Once the visa is validated then your ok. You may have to apply for a residents return visa though.... check it out with DIAC.... if you can get through to them on the phone that is lol

Good luck

Ah you star! thanks for the info. So you pay for one visa app not for each person in the family? Also, once you apply for the 175, is it then you can start applying with the state you want to live/work in? and for jobs? Also, one more question.... once (fingers crossed) you get your visa - do you have a certain time to enter Oz? would be worried if house didn't sell etc.....

Thanks again for your help!!!

-Thats right - visa applicant pays, and enters details of family memebres on that.

-It is easier now that Nursing registrations are centralised - (from 01/07/10) before you had to register with the state you wanted to work in! Most employers need to know when you are going to move before they can seriously process your application but have had friends get offers 6-12 months before a move.

- Once you get you visa grant you have to enter the country to validate your Visa - usually 12 months after grant - Got mine Apr 10, have to validate by Mar 11. So you can go and do a Reccie and see where you fancy settling! Once you have done that, then Visa is valid for 5 years after grant date so we have got till 2015 to enter country on permenant basis!

And the speed this house is selling...........might need that date !! :arghh:

Archived