Official nurses thread!

Guest scots-in-oz!

Guest kknox

My god that's a quick time frame! Obviously they need us nurses I'm looking at Queensland but going for a 175 visa not sponsored so that might slow it down a bit.

Well done

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest kimberleyphelan

hi all fellow nurses,

I have just move to Oz, and have got a job as an infection control nurse.....if there are any nurses who would like to catch up in the Canberra and surrounding areas that would be great..... Kim

Guest cosmicsis

Hi everyone, some great info on here! I am a registered nurse (Practice Nurse for last 5 years, mainly surgical/gynae directorate in hospital in UK prior to this). I went travelling on working visa 10 years ago but now married with a little family (Jack is 4, Maisie is 2), we have been planning to emigrate since before we had the little ones. Our house sale is going through, our visa was validated last June and I am registered with Queensland Nursing Council in preperation for our move over hopefully in the next few months. Fingers crossed. Any info on nursing jobs/process etc much appreciated. Love, Claire x

Hi everyone, some great info on here! I am a registered nurse (Practice Nurse for last 5 years, mainly surgical/gynae directorate in hospital in UK prior to this). I went travelling on working visa 10 years ago but now married with a little family (Jack is 4, Maisie is 2), we have been planning to emigrate since before we had the little ones. Our house sale is going through, our visa was validated last June and I am registered with Queensland Nursing Council in preperation for our move over hopefully in the next few months. Fingers crossed. Any info on nursing jobs/process etc much appreciated. Love, Claire x

Hi Claire

Well done on negotiating the QNC already. With the gradual move to national registration with AHPRA I think things are going to be a bit slow for a while.

Nearly all Qld Health jobs are listed on SEEK - Australia's no. 1 jobs, employment, career and recruitment site (but not absolutely all) and Nursing: Queensland Health: WorkForUs . If you have chosen where about in Qld that you want to settle it is worth enquiring of the local health facilities directly. Managers may well have positions vacant that they are currently filling with casual staff, but would happily place a permanent member of staff in if they could get them.

Chris

Guest cosmicsis

Hi, yeah that was the plan to get in there beforehand as thought process might be different aswell possibly. Have tried to do all that is realistically possible before we go (even having Mantoux test) and getting all documents ready re: occ health stuff but it seems may have to do all manual handling & other compulsory training once employed? Is there an independant agency that you can do this with do you know? If not then there might be an idea for someone out there!! Thanks for the link for job site - and have expressed an interest on the Work for us site a few months ago but not really heard much from them. Not even sure what grade to put myself as? Any ideas? Does it depend on how long qualified or level of experience?

...(even having Mantoux test) and getting all documents ready re: occ health stuff but it seems may have to do all manual handling & other compulsory training once employed? Is there an independant agency that you can do this with do you know? If not then there might be an idea for someone out there!! Thanks for the link for job site - and have expressed an interest on the Work for us site a few months ago but not really heard much from them. Not even sure what grade to put myself as? Any ideas? Does it depend on how long qualified or level of experience?

The annual required training will need to be done once you are employed. They broadly fall into three groups: that which needs to be done only once, e.g. SafeKids (mandatory reporting obligations of children at risk); that which needs to be done annually, e.g. fire awareness training, CPR, etc; and local speciality requirements depending on where you choose to work, e.g. in some EDs advanced life support for appropriately skilled staff.

All the essential training was provided during my orientation when I returned to Qld Health last year over three fully paid days. I only know about ED, but I was also able to undertake a thorough orientation to the ED, and do the ED requirements before I became part of the clinical workforce.

From my knowledge of public hospital health in three states no one is close to seeking recognition of their orientation components as part of the national training system. Further to that I am sure the union would take a very dim view if a health service tried to shift training costs by expecting new staff to fund their own essential training. But there is at least one provider I know of that offers a contract option for smaller health facilities to deliver essential training rather than them employing a permanent educator or trainer to do it. Essentially there is no need for you to seek training that would be relevant for actual work in Australia. Although demonstrating on a CV that you have maintained appropriate competencies for your speciality would be of interest to a prospective employer over here. I certainly used that as one of many criteria that showed me whether a potential employee could demonstrate an ongoing commitment to safe professional practice when I was involved in recruiting.

Entry grade RN is grade 5. If you are of a level that could run a shift that would be grade 6. If a Nurse Unit Manager, Clinical Nurse Consultant or Clinical Educator Grade 7, If a Nurse Practitioner grade 8. If you are chatting to Qld Health staff you may also here of "Levels". This refers to the previous industrial award, but is still used by some to describe their position in the hierarchy. A Level 1 is now a grade 5, a Level 2 is now a grade 6, a Level 4 is now a grade 7. Hope that isn't too confusing!

Within each grade a a number of annual increments in pay. You will have to show evidence of the years you worked in relevant positions for the increment to be credited at your commencement.

From my limited contact with them, I found the Work For Us team good. But they get a large number of approaches. So I would not rely on this as your only method of approaching a prospective employer. Several of my colleagues went to a nursing expo' in the UK and secured positions in the ED in which we now work. They made an initial approach, were interviewed, had references checked, and job offers in less than a week! Therefore if such expo's arise within striking distance for you, I would certainly urge you consider going.

Chris

Quick question - is it possible to study nursing for free in Australia? Tuition fees I mean. I assumed not but asking for somebody else.

No. All RN undergraduate preparation in Australia is university based and therefore attracts at least university tuition fees. Depending on the visa status of the applicant these may be able to be deferred as "HECS debt". But generally speaking as Ali says, anyone arriving in Australia would be classified as a full fee paying overseas student, and therefore liable for international student fees, and all the other conditions such a visa stipulates.

Post graduate preparation is also university based, e.g. critical care, mental health, etc. Fees vary depending on whether it is fully, partially or not supported at all by Commonwealth funding.

Chris

Guest Shanich

Hi there.

I am a Paediatric Nurse who has been qualified for 10 months at present. My husband has been offered a job in WA on a 457 visa, I will be coming on his visa. We are just beginning the visa process.

I was wondering if anyone could tell me whether I would have to do the assessment as well as the registration? How easy is it to find a job in Paeds with less that 12 months experience in OZ? IELTS is another concern,:eek: I hate doing exams, especially written essays, they never make any sense and takes awhile to get it right. Anyone have any tips to get through this part?

Thanks in advance.

Guest cosmicsis

i'm not certain but i think the skills assessment is only when you are applying for the visa as a nurse but if you already have your visa (via hubbie) then you would just need to do an IELTS test (which lasts 2 years (but would recommend getting IELTS practice book - ebay or library) before you can register as a nurse. With regards to experience - i'm sure once you are there - your skills will be much needed so you can build upon the ones you already have. Good luck with it all x

• 3 weeks later...

I have been living in Melbourne for 6 weeks now, came over on my OH's 457 visa. The verification process of my UK registration is due to be completed very soon (not without its complications!) so I suppose I'd better start looking for a job. I am living in Sandringham, Bayside, and was a senior district nurse in the UK, with managerial responsibilities, qualification in leg ulcer management and palliative care, special interest in tissue viability, also qualified mentor.

I was going to do a bit of agency work to try different aspects of nursing before I commit to a permanent role, but there are so many agencies, all proffesing to be Melbourne's No 1 agency!

Does anyone have any experience of nursing agencies or hospitals that operate a nursing bank? I believe the district nursing in Aus is very different to the UK, any advice would be greatly appreciated!:confused:

Guest Tania Cox

Pretty sure as ur going on husbands visa unless he needs to have skills asesment, you won't need to do one. My husband is coming on my visa and he doesn't need to get skills assesment done. The IELTS, though harder than i expected, is fine...just look at some practice ones so know what sort of questions to expect and you'll be fine. It's not difficult, not to be taken for granted, just read and listen to questions properly. Good luck Tania

Hi Tania, have done the IELT, very difficult but passed first time. The process of getting registered in Aus has been a pain, as I trained in 1986, I had no transcript and the NMC was the UKCC then, caused a real headache, but getting there now! Just need to find a job now, I have been a lady of leisure for the last 6 weeks.....

Hi Tania, have done the IELT, very difficult but passed first time. The process of getting registered in Aus has been a pain, as I trained in 1986, I had no transcript and the NMC was the UKCC then, caused a real headache, but getting there now! Just need to find a job now, I have been a lady of leisure for the last 6 weeks.....

hi there gill, my wife was the same ukcc reg but then changed to nmc, we have done the new online app and sent away the form and all doc's, do you think they will be back with some sort of problem because of the ukcc thing, what happened to you ref this.

chris

Guest morty
I have been living in Melbourne for 6 weeks now, came over on my OH's 457 visa. The verification process of my UK registration is due to be completed very soon (not without its complications!) so I suppose I'd better start looking for a job. I am living in Sandringham, Bayside, and was a senior district nurse in the UK, with managerial responsibilities, qualification in leg ulcer management and palliative care, special interest in tissue viability, also qualified mentor.

I was going to do a bit of agency work to try different aspects of nursing before I commit to a permanent role, but there are so many agencies, all proffesing to be Melbourne's No 1 agency!

Does anyone have any experience of nursing agencies or hospitals that operate a nursing bank? I believe the district nursing in Aus is very different to the UK, any advice would be greatly appreciated!:confused:

Hi

I know you mention agency work, but have you approached the RDNS (Royal District Nursing Service) ? They have a website and from what i can gather would kill for someone with your experience. I have a job offer with them was all orchestrated from the UK. I am a DN with 4 years experience. They offer a great salary and tax free elements of my salary i.e rent.

I am hoping to get everything organised by late September.

Goodluck with the job hunting.

Emma

Hi chris, the NBV require the original statement of entry onto the register from when you qualified, as it was the UKCC then, thats what it said on my statement. I presumed that they would acknowledge that it was a name change, still the same body, but no. So I had to phone the NMC, explain the problem, they will post out an official letter to my house here in Aus, (not allowed to send this item direct to the NBV) which has the date I was officially entered onto the register, with NMC written on it! Once I have this, I will take it and show it to them, then I don't have to get notarised, then it should be done!:arghh:

Guest mpogr

Hi all!

My OH is an R.N.B.A coming in Jul to Melbourne on my 457 visa. The biggest obstacle for her registration will obviously be the English test. I see many of you guys mention IELTS here (even Britts, which is strange, I thought they're exempt?). But I read there was another possibility which is OET Nursing version.

Which one is easier? I know IELTS is difficult, done it myself (albeit the General one, and I know the Academic is even more difficult).

If going for OET, any advice on special courses for it?

Hi all!

My OH is an R.N.B.A coming in Jul to Melbourne on my 457 visa. The biggest obstacle for her registration will obviously be the English test. I see many of you guys mention IELTS here (even Britts, which is strange, I thought they're exempt?). But I read there was another possibility which is OET Nursing version.

Which one is easier? I know IELTS is difficult, done it myself (albeit the General one, and I know the Academic is even more difficult).

If going for OET, any advice on special courses for it?

Hi, sorry to inform you that no overseas trained nurses are exempt now from the English tests, changed in July 09, so unless you trained in Aus, you have to pass the test. The IELT is difficult but there are books and training available for support, when I looked into the OET it was a lot more expensive to take, and not sure if you need to take it in Aus? Most Brits seem to take the IELT.

Guest Tania Cox

Hi...IELTS was definitely not a walk in the park....and just cos British, English speaking...should def not take for granted...but if you have a good grasp of English language..then it's fine...just read the questions thoroughly before answering.....as some are a bit unclear or trick answers! All the best to anyone still having to do theirs.

Hi,

I am a RN over here, making the move to Melbourne in October this year with my husband Lee who is a plumber.

I have passed my IELT's (first time, thank goodness!), and am just in the process of obtaining everything to apply for my registration with the NBV.

I notice that people keep mentioning the ANMC, and I don't want to sound really thick but what is this, and is this something else that I have to apply for/register with, and if so, at what stage? I am wanting to start applying for jobs asap so don't want to find out that I need whatever to do with the ANMC...

Please help with any info!

Thankyou,

Danielle

:err:

Guest cosmicsis

Hi Danielle, ANMC - Australian Nursing & Midwifery Council. Have you got your visa via your husband as a plumber? If so then you can register as a nurse now you have passed your IELTS but i would get this done asap as they are changing to mutual recognition so there will just be one nurses board and it may take a while to sort out. The ANMC give guidance on best practice and if you are applying for a visa as a nurse then they will be assessing your skills to see if eligible. Hope this helps & good luck! Claire

Archived