Official nurses thread!

Guest scots-in-oz!

Hi sorry if this has been posted loads of time before but think the consensus is if you have secondary education in UK you don’t need to do IELTS but how do you PROOVE this ?? I don’t have any records / documentation from my school days. Also I did an access course before going back to uni as mature student would this count as proof? Or does it have to be from being teenager?

I was er a little off the rails when I was that young so slightly lacking in qualifications so what happens if you were enrolled but not actually doing exams?

I think a few people said they just wrote a statement saying their secondary education was in the UK ? Is that allowed or have I just read too many posts and made it up! Any help much appreciated

When I read this post, I thought I had written it! My circumstances were exactly the same. I was preparing to to IELTS as was under the impression you "have" to but have since been told I may not have to! I think I'll still prepare a bit though just incase!

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Guys found this link on the ahpra site I will give it below open english language skills axplanatory notes, according to this as I can make out if you went to school in the uk and sat ur nursing in english and can prove this you infact dont need to sit IELTS! Let me know what you guys make of this. The info is all on page one!

Lizx

AHPRA - FAQ and Fact Sheets

Guest Guest 47403
Guys found this link on the ahpra site I will give it below open english language skills axplanatory notes, according to this as I can make out if you went to school in the uk and sat ur nursing in english and can prove this you infact dont need to sit IELTS! Let me know what you guys make of this. The info is all on page one!

Lizx

AHPRA - FAQ and Fact Sheets

Liz this is for AHPRA registration though and to get registered you need an ANMC skills assesment which requires an academic IELTS to be passed by everyone as far as I'm aware - Would absolutely love to be proved wrong on this one (well my missus would she's the one that has to do it)

Guest Guest 47403

We're getting the skills assesment done as part of our state sponsorship application, can't be done with the wait on a 175 visa.

Liz this is for AHPRA registration though and to get registered you need an ANMC skills assesment which requires an academic IELTS to be passed by everyone as far as I'm aware - Would absolutely love to be proved wrong on this one (well my missus would she's the one that has to do it)

Not quite true, I've posted on this subject in the past so i'll just skim over it.....You need your skills assessment for visa purposes only !!! nothing at all to do with registration........If the main applicant for the visa is in the nursing profession then the first thing to do is to get your positive skills assessment from the ANMC prior to applying for your visa. You can gain the AMNC skills assessment by 2 methods, the full assessment or the modified assessment.

The full assessment route - You apply first to the ANMC with all your qualifications, certificates etc ...... then on receiving your positive outcome you apply for your visa, one of the requirements of the FULL assessment with the ANMC is the academic IELTS 7 in each band...

OR

The modified assessment route - You register first with the AHPRA (nursing board of Australia), by sending all your qualifications, certificates onto them at the relevant office where you intend to emigrate, IELTS not needed if you can prove your secondary education/nursing qualifications were taught and assessed in English....... Once you receive registration/letter of eligibility from AHPRA you can then apply to the ANMC through the modified assessment which DOES NOT require IELTS for your skills assessment........................Its also cheaper to do it this way !!!!!

Hope this helps................

Hi there guys,

For my ANMC skills assessment for the 175 visa, do I require the full or modified assessment? Thanks

Liz

Hi Liz, you need your skills assessment, whether you do it via the full or modified is up to you, see my previous post.....................

Guest Guest 47403
Not quite true, I've posted on this subject in the past so i'll just skim over it.....You need your skills assessment for visa purposes only !!! nothing at all to do with registration........If the main applicant for the visa is in the nursing profession then the first thing to do is to get your positive skills assessment from the ANMC prior to applying for your visa. You can gain the AMNC skills assessment by 2 methods, the full assessment or the modified assessment.

The full assessment route - You apply first to the ANMC with all your qualifications, certificates etc ...... then on receiving your positive outcome you apply for your visa, one of the requirements of the FULL assessment with the ANMC is the academic IELTS 7 in each band...

OR

The modified assessment route - You register first with the AHPRA (nursing board of Australia), by sending all your qualifications, certificates onto them at the relevant office where you intend to emigrate, IELTS not needed if you can prove your secondary education/nursing qualifications were taught and assessed in English....... Once you receive registration/letter of eligibility from AHPRA you can then apply to the ANMC through the modified assessment which DOES NOT require IELTS for your skills assessment........................Its also cheaper to do it this way !!!!!

Thanks Woody didn't realise you could do it that way around, unfortunately IELTS is also a requirement for WA state sponsorship so we can't get around it.

Thanks Woody didn't realise you could do it that way around, unfortunately IELTS is also a requirement for WA state sponsorship so we can't get around it.

I was told that WA require 7 years work experience for state sponsorship as a nurse. And that there is a recruitment freeze! :confused: Does anyone know if this is right?? x

Hi, just double check with the exact ielts requirements of WA though, you may be able to do the general test which believe me is a lot easier than the academic, this is speaking from experience due to helping the OH going through her academic preparation x5 and doing the general myself !!!!

I was told that WA require 7 years work experience for state sponsorship as a nurse. And that there is a recruitment freeze! :confused: Does anyone know if this is right?? x

Your right about the 7 years experience requirement. I think the recruitment freeze is a bit of a myth, having contact with an agency in Oz there is plenty of nursing opportunities, it's one occupation that's in demand worldwide ....

Hi I am the main visa applicant and when I applied I was a new grad so maybe that has something to do with it but I was registered with wa when I got the visa and then after the visa was granted I was asked a few months later to register with ahpra so dunno why i was never asked or told to have my skills assesed.

OR

Thanks for this information, it has been really useful, do you have a link to anywhere I can find this on the internet?

Liz

Guest oz we go

May I ask who did you get to sign off all your paperwork i.e transcriipt , marriage certificate , official copies of training certificates ?

Guest cyprus2008
May I ask who did you get to sign off all your paperwork i.e transcriipt , marriage certificate , official copies of training certificates ?

HI

You have to have a notary to certify all documents

hayley :biggrin:

A notary wanted to charge me £120 to sign approx 15 single sheeted copies of certificates etc.... I went to the local magistrates who did it all for free a week later !!

Thanks for this information, it has been really useful, do you have a link to anywhere I can find this on the internet?

Liz

Hi, look at this

http://www.anmc.org.au/userfiles/file/international_docs/On-Line%20Application%20Information%20Sept%202010.pdf

it does state somewhere

Applicants with Australian or New Zealand registration qualify for a Modified Assessment. All other applicants must apply under Full Assessment guidelines.

hope this helps

Hi,

I have sent my application to AHPRA. I included the NMC certificate of good standard (the document you recieve each year when you register) Do you know if this is the correct document or should I have requested verification certificate from NMC (which costs £34)?

Thanks

Sharon x

As far as I know you have to get the NMC to verify your registration and send it on to AHPRA- at least that what I had to do when I registered with NMBWA.

Hi Sharon, you have to have the verification letter sent by the NMC, yet more money but thats the way it is. Very frustrating as they are just confirming your documents which you already have. Its just one more mayment to add to the list lol.

good luck with it all its worth it in the end.

Archived