Official nurses thread!

Guest scots-in-oz!

Guest guest30038
Hi Kev

Thanks for the advice. Looked at Prince Charles and it does look good.

Considered your comments re the visa issue too and had a nosey on the Oz Gov website. OH could get a 175 easily enough (or so it seems)'not sure how easy it would be to find a post independently though. It seems harder than nursing due to number of posts available. On top of that wouldn't want to have to move around looking for work with the kids.

My understanding is that he could convert to a 175 once out there and that he would only be tied to an employer for a couple of years? Is this right or my naive understanding? I wonder whether the fact that having a recruitment agency support us through the whole process, flights, visas, registrations, housing, schools does offset the risk.

I'd appreciate your comments/thoughts as to be honest,at the start of this process, I'm flumoxed!!! :)

It's all one big gamble chook and you have to throw your hat in the ring and fight the way you think best.

Some prefer the security of a position before they depart but others don't like the idea of being tied to sponsorship. Not all sponsorships help with relocation and not all sponsorships tie you to 2 yrs..................It's something you negotiate and you take what you're comfortable with. I've known some sponsors who have supported their employees application for PR after only 6 months, but that has come with a proviso that they remain in that employ for another 18.

I'm not familiar with doctor's positions, but I know of many nurses, and we've helped many, who've arrived on 175/6 and they all were in work within a month of arriving.

What you also take into consideration is that although there appears to be far less doctors posts available, there is also far less applicants than there would be for a nursing post...........far more nurses migrate than doctors. Also, doctors posts are less likely to be advertised in agencies, and more in professional journals or the Qld Health web site.

kev

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"I'm not familiar with doctor's positions, but I know of many nurses, and we've helped many, who've arrived on 175/6 and they all were in work within a month of arriving."

Thanks Kev. It's good to know that there is plenty work out there. Not that i would want to rush it or anything!!!!!!!:biglaugh:

"What you also take into consideration is that although there appears to be far less doctors posts available, there is also far less applicants than there would be for a nursing post...........far more nurses migrate than doctors. Also, doctors posts are less likely to be advertised in agencies, and more in professional journals or the Qld Health web site."

:notworthy:Fair point re lower numbers of migrant medics. I still think OH would rather the security of a job before we left. He's just a safety kinda guy. lol.

Me on the other hand, i think I'll wing it!!

Thanks for getting back to me and we can probably keep an eye on the queensland website and contact hospitals direct.:biggrin:

kev

Guest guest30038
"I'm not familiar with doctor's positions, but I know of many nurses, and we've helped many, who've arrived on 175/6 and they all were in work within a month of arriving."

Thanks Kev. It's good to know that there is plenty work out there. Not that i would want to rush it or anything!!!!!!!:biglaugh:

"What you also take into consideration is that although there appears to be far less doctors posts available, there is also far less applicants than there would be for a nursing post...........far more nurses migrate than doctors. Also, doctors posts are less likely to be advertised in agencies, and more in professional journals or the Qld Health web site."

:notworthy:Fair point re lower numbers of migrant medics. I still think OH would rather the security of a job before we left. He's just a safety kinda guy. lol.

Me on the other hand, i think I'll wing it!!

Thanks for getting back to me and we can probably keep an eye on the queensland website and contact hospitals direct.:biggrin:

Ok Chook. keep us in touch (by PM if you wish) and if you need any help when you get out here, feel free to ask. I'll ask Bridget if she knows of any Anaesthetist contacts at the Prince Charles who may be able to help.

kev

Thanks Kev. That's really helpful.

We have alot of soul searching to do yet. Just pulled out the old lonley planet books off the shelf to have a good nosey as not 100% sure where we are heading yet. I must say many of your past posts have swayed us to qld. Melbourne was our winner before that. I am attracted by the weather and beaches around the sunshine coast and north of Brisbane. Looks gorgeous.

The evenings of cinema in the park and chilled family activities in Melbourne were so much fun when we were over before. I assume that Brissie has similar kinds of activities and family times. :biggrin: It'll be great whatever we do.

A

Guest guest30038

The evenings of cinema in the park and chilled family activities in Melbourne were so much fun when we were over before. I assume that Brissie has similar kinds of activities and family times. :biggrin: It'll be great whatever we do.

A

Yep, Brizzy has all that.............cinema in the park in many susburbs. then there's south bank with it's many festivals................Xmas and the fireworks there is something to behold. The theme parks are only an hour away on the Gold Coast, and the rainforests, 30 minutes.

Take a read here: Best things about living in Brisbane | ourbrisbane.com

kev

Guest guest30038
Cheers for that. Got the flutters now. :)

A

Bridget's just come in after walking the dog (she's on lates).

She will get some names from the Prince Charles today, which I will PM you with, and you can take it from there..........hubby to post a covering letter with CV.

Many of the anaesthetists "farm out" to the private sector from the public so they will be in touch with both sides and CV's can be circulated wider.

kev

Guest Rncoco

Im a foreign nurse with only 7 months of experience. I'll be taking the bridging program for overseas nurses next month. Do you think i can still land a job even with my limited experience?

Hi all, Im fairly newish to this site. Looking for advice on immigration to Oz. Im a registered nurse, been qulified for 2 years working on a cardiology ward. Thinking (yes thinking, lol ) of emigrating down under. Im 42, and getting anxious as the cut off age to emigrate is 42, and I understand the whole process is a long one! I have tried online assessments for emigration points, and each one has told me I don't qualify for emigration, HELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLP Im getting worried as time is running out. I have a 5 year old son and a partner. Any help/advice would be much appreciated, thanks. xxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi wns

Have a look on the Australian gov website, the have a listing of skills for visa's.

Also check out Adelaide bound which has a link visa's and migration. Follow that and you should be able to access a points calculator. The number of points required alters depending on number of applications for visas at any one time (or so I understand it to be). It does give you an idea though.

I noted another link on there for advice on increasing your score!!! always helpful. :)

Hi all, Im fairly newish to this site. Looking for advice on immigration to Oz. Im a registered nurse, been qulified for 2 years working on a cardiology ward. Thinking (yes thinking, lol ) of emigrating down under. Im 42, and getting anxious as the cut off age to emigrate is 42, and I understand the whole process is a long one! I have tried online assessments for emigration points, and each one has told me I don't qualify for emigration, HELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLP Im getting worried as time is running out. I have a 5 year old son and a partner. Any help/advice would be much appreciated, thanks. xxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi

Cut off age is 45 for permanent visa until July, but you get less and less points as you get to 45. Do you know where you want to live in Oz, cos you get more points if you apply to a state for sponsorship, most states sponsor nurses but have different requirements for years of experience.

Did you try the diac visa wizard?

I'm sponsored by south australia so have agreed to live there for at least two years,

Gill x

Thanks both, that's very helpful. Was thinking of Melbourne or Perth areas. How many years of experience do you have Gill? How long does it take to sort everything out nursing wise? xx

Hi,

scarily despite my tender age I have 17 years experience! perth i belive require 7 years for state sponsorship, not sure about victoria (melbourne). South Australia I think only need 2 years experience?

The anmc assessment took about two months, not including getting all your info togather and sitting IELTS exam first. registering with ahpra took an age, five months!, but was not required for SA state sponsorship or visa aplication so did it at same time and didn't delay my application. Its' all a bit of a fiddle, but manageable really. Waiting for our medicals to be finalised has been worse than anything!

Cheers

Gill x

Hi to all nurses

I am new to this site and would like to know has anyone sent in their evidence for Continuing professional development to APHRA for nursing registration? If so who did you get it verified by as APHRA state it must be verified? Does this mean I just need to get ward manager to sign my evidence? do I actually need to send in the written documentation of activities I have done or just a declaration that I have done CPD. Im confused any help would be appreciated

Guest nursebabs

Hi All,

I am a registered Learning Disability Nurse, working in the UK. Myself and my husband want to move to Australia. Is there any RNLD’s that are employed and what would I need to do? Please help!:wacko: Thanks Laura

Hi to all nurses

I am new to this site and would like to know has anyone sent in their evidence for Continuing professional development to APHRA for nursing registration? If so who did you get it verified by as APHRA state it must be verified? Does this mean I just need to get ward manager to sign my evidence? do I actually need to send in the written documentation of activities I have done or just a declaration that I have done CPD. Im confused any help would be appreciated

Hi

I got my ward manager to sign mine, was a print out from my health boards online training system which documents any study time I have had. I also included a statement from myself repeating study day info and detailing what i thought my learning outcomes had been, and time I had spent mentoring and teaching. was a bit worried about it, but am now registered so must have been okay.

cheers

Gill x

Guest claree

Hi i'm Clare, paeds nurse with 15 years experience. Our 176 visa application has been lodged last week. Am currently looking into nurse registration. Does anyone know whether the ANMC assessment can be used for registration purposes or do i still have to pay for the nursing and midwifery assessment?

Hi All

Can anyone point me in the right direction please?

I'm looking at the AHPRA criteria for registration and I have a couple of queries.

The recency of practice criteria doesn't stipulate what would be required to prove this. I've seen posts re CPD but I can't find on the AHPRA site the exact evidence required. I've looked for the standard on AHPRA and NMBA to no avail.

Is anyone able to advise on a link for this please?

The standards also state that you most ensure that evidence is provided for fitness to practice directly from the regulatory body. How did everyone go about obtaining this evidence?

Nearly there sorry....

Re criminal history, is this just provided by the police check you need for visa application anyway?

Last but not least, anyone worked in management in the UK and then applied to work in clinical practice in Oz? If so did you encounter any problems with registering?

Thanks all and sorry for the multiple questions.

:)

Amanda

Guest tandcmum

maybe I'm looking at it too simpley, but im sue the evidence to practice by the NMC is just the verification of good standing that they do for you, basically if you are on the register and have no violations against you they presume you are fit to practice.

As for recency of practice i think they just want to know what youare currently doing and I think that is where you CV signed by your employer and the statement of service from your current employer is all they are looking for.

Criminal history i think you just hav declare you have none and yes you will need police hecks for your visa anyway. I think AHPRA may do random criminal checks but not sure.

As I have said though maybe I am looking at it too siply and when i get round to doing it will find i need allsors of extra paperwork

maybe I'm looking at it too simpley, but im sue the evidence to practice by the NMC is just the verification of good standing that they do for you, basically if you are on the register and have no violations against you they presume you are fit to practice.

As for recency of practice i think they just want to know what youare currently doing and I think that is where you CV signed by your employer and the statement of service from your current employer is all they are looking for.

Criminal history i think you just hav declare you have none and yes you will need police hecks for your visa anyway. I think AHPRA may do random criminal checks but not sure.

As I have said though maybe I am looking at it too siply and when i get round to doing it will find i need allsors of extra paperwork

Hi

At first application the above info was all that was needed. I was asked as the final step before getting registered for PDP info, and they accepted info I would have used as proof for NMC, just signed by my manager. Apart from ahpra being really slow, I was lucky to have one contact who did contact me efficiently and let me know what was happening and what else they needed. My initial application was really just my forwarded anmc skills assessment file, then they asked for proof of change of name (had got married), another c.v and pdp info. Good luck all

Gill x

Guest tandcmum
Hi

At first application the above info was all that was needed. I was asked as the final step before getting registered for PDP info, and they accepted info I would have used as proof for NMC, just signed by my manager. Apart from ahpra being really slow, I was lucky to have one contact who did contact me efficiently and let me know what was happening and what else they needed. My initial application was really just my forwarded anmc skills assessment file, then they asked for proof of change of name (had got married), another c.v and pdp info. Good luck all

Gill x

I have all the info about courses etc i have undertaken on my CV so will that suffice, or would a print out of my KSF review signed by my manager be a good addition do you think?

Hi

Yes i sent a copy of my KSF review too, had forgotten that! I did make a document with each study day with the learning outcomes and hours of study (ridiculous as some so obvious), each time period of mentoring and each teaching session I had done for the last twelve months, as I had read someone else did this, but may have been overkill, was just determined not to be asked for anything else!

Gill

Archived