Official nurses thread!

Guest scots-in-oz!

We are also in the process of applying for a 176, Im currently going through the skills assessment as we will be coming over on my visa. If you need to do a skills assessment through the ANMC then you need to sit the IELTS and need a 7 or above in all four sections of the exam. If however you are coming over on your OH visas and only need to register with APHRA then I believe that you only need to prove that you have gained your nursing qualification in the UK.

Hope this is of some help. It is a very confusing process, i agree.

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest thinkingaboutoz
Hi all, I'm new to all this as we have only recently decided to make the big move, so we still have to actually start the paperwork ball rolling. My first question is, if I register with AHPRA do I need to sit the IELTS? I have been told conflicting opinions on this, some say I 100% need to sit it to register as a nurse with ANAMC and others say if I register first through AHPRA then I only need certified docs saying I attended high school here and was taught in English. I know there is an IELTS course in Glasgow in August and was wondering wether or not to apply?

Secondly can anyone advise on which paperwork I should be filling out first and which visa should I apply for? (We are hoping for permant residency, OH is 40 & a paramedic, children are two boys aged 16 & 13.)

Also we are attending the expo in Glasgow next week, anyone else going??

Apologies for the long post, any infor would be great :)

Hi, we were at the london expo yesterday and I spoke to a representative from the nursing and midwifery council there, who said not to do the IELTS, if you did your nurse training in Britain there is no need as you are taught in english, she said would be a waste of money... hope this helps

Guest tandcmum

I think the basic rule of thumb with the IELTS (if you have been educated at secondry level and nurse training level in English) is that

for ANMAC skills assessment (which is required for 175/176 visas you NEED to take the IELTS

if you are going over on a sponsored employer visa 457/ENS/RSMS you DO NOT NEED to take the IELTS

AHPRA themselves do not require it but other visas and skills assements according to visas may still require you take it

Hi, we were at the london expo yesterday and I spoke to a representative from the nursing and midwifery council there, who said not to do the IELTS, if you did your nurse training in Britain there is no need as you are taught in english, she said would be a waste of money... hope this helps

Not necessarily true..............

Double...triple....quadruple check with AHPRA before making that assumption. I submitted my paperwork in Adelaide office and was advised that I didn't need IELTS, but had done it anyway.

Flew back to UK, two weeks later AHPRA released an official statement saying that you did need it. They keep changing the goalposts all the time re: IELTS. Call them or e-mail to double check and get the info from the horses mouth or the organ grinder, not the monkey.

Worth covering every avenue, and IELTS is needed at some point for PR---period, so it can be unhelpful for people who are following this route. Sorry if i keep ranting about this.....

Guest snowangel

hi guys im just wondering if anyone knows, i am a nurse in the uk with an advanced diploma does that mean that i am an enrolled nurse in australia or a registered nurse? cheers Tiffany...

Guest guest30038
hi guys im just wondering if anyone knows, i am a nurse in the uk with an advanced diploma does that mean that i am an enrolled nurse in australia or a registered nurse? cheers Tiffany...

PIO member Generalis is currently taking an advanced diploma here in Oz. It categorises her as an enrolled nurse. If you haven't got a degree in nursing, then you will not be classed as an RGN unless you are from the "old school"

kev

Guest Stevieboy22

I qualified with an advanced diploma and have gone through the registration process with AHPRA. I am now registered as a Registered Nurse. I don't have a degree of any sort so you should be ok with the advanced diploma.

AHPRA will assess your application and apply any restrictions if necessary. The only restriction I have is that I can only work in Paeds Nursing as that is the brach I trained in.

Hope this helps

Guest snowangel

Thanku in that case I will prob just go for the registered nurse, I think the difference between the advanced and the diploma is just one essay which counts as more points towards a degree.

Guest Stevieboy22
Hi

Can I just ask what is the difference between a diploma and an advanced diploma?

I qualified in 2003 with a diploma (higher education) in adult nursing? this was a 3yr course at uni.

Kind regards

The difference between the 2 is that an Advanced Diploma gives you 60 credits at level 3 (degree level) allowing you to top up to a degree by completing another 60 credits. The diploma is completed at level 2.

Hope this helps

The difference between the 2 is that an Advanced Diploma gives you 60 credits at level 3 (degree level) allowing you to top up to a degree by completing another 60 credits. The diploma is completed at level 2.

Hope this helps

Thank you for your reply, I just hope I will be able to register as a nurse. I have had my skills assessment which I needed for the visa application.

I sent an email last week to APHRA asking them if I would be able to register as a nurse with a diploma and not a degree and I got this response:

Hi

Please be advised in order to have your qualifications assessed you must submit to the Board an application for registration with all required documentation and pay the prescribed fees.

Application forms for registration can be found on the AHPRA website http://www.ahpra.gov.au

Regards

Victoria Nursing Registration Team

Phone | 1300 419 495

Web | http://www.ahpra.gov.au

which is not much help at the moment :0(

Guest glitterbug

Hi! I'm a paediatric nurse and have started to look into working in oz, have worked in the NHS for 6 very long years!

I have heard some mixed reviews about moving/working in oz and as I am looking to move out myself I just wondered if anyone could offer any advice/hints etc.

Thanks xx

Guest snowangel

Mummy mann I have done all the research and there is no reason why u should not be able to register they are taking diploma nurses too, I am in thr same boat trying to sort out moving there with my other half. Do u need to be skills assessed as well as apply to AHPRA?

Guest snowangel

Thats a relief I kept reading things that said u do then u dont! I'm hoping to get a 457 visa its exciting but scary and seems a long way off..

Guest kaz1167

Can anyone help?

I'm an RGN, old style, no diploma or degree. Qualified in 1979 s0 lots of experience, unfortunately 52 years old!!!! Do I stand any chance of getting a job out there in Australia?? My son and his wife are moving over next year and I'm interested in joining them. My husband is 58 and an electrician

Hi Mags

Wot an excellent idea.

I am a staff nurse been nursing since 1981 (not bad as never wanted to be a nurse):goofy:

I with my husband wilf(he works in the water industry) & 2 out 3 children heading to Brisbane in the next few months Have a job at the Princess Alexandra going on 457 visa working towards PR. Just need to sort out some rental.

A quick note regarding registration when applying to QNC ensure you send application as special/signed for delivery that way you can track they have it. They apparently told me my application was never received had sat patiently for 12 weeks waiting :arghh:but within 30mins of me saying had been received by them and signed for they found it.

Wishing every one well

Sue

Guest elaine cusano

[

Hi,

Im a registered nurse in the Uk, working on a busy elderley care ward.

Registration logged 010411 with AHPRA.

Flights booked to Sydney 220811.

House under offer.

Dog booked on flight 220811.

House contents being removed 010811.

Job interview 200811 (hospital in Sydney).

Currently saying loads of farewells to friends and family members.

Parties, leaving dos etc ongoing.

Bring it on!!

Best of luck to you

Elaine Cusano:jiggy:

Guest archie35

Hey everybody,

Just wondering how much the fees are for AHPRA, am I right in thinking I would need to pay $230, I am filling out the paperwork for registration now, its not an easy task.

Thanks again

Hey everybody,

Just wondering how much the fees are for AHPRA, am I right in thinking I would need to pay $230, I am filling out the paperwork for registration now, its not an easy task.

Thanks again

From what I have researched I believe there are three fees you need to pay:

Application for general registration $115

Fee for annual renewal

$115

Overseas assessment charge

$220

Guest tandcmum
From what I have researched I believe there are three fees you need to pay:

Application for general registration $115

Fee for annual renewal

$115

Overseas assessment charge

$220

That is what I have paid

Guest snowangel

hi all, im currently trying to register with AHPRA (what a nightmare), i sent off for to the NMC for the aplication pack so that they can verify my qualifications, they sent this but also a letter saying:

'some overseas registrations authorites require a practitioner to hold effective registration with their original body, therefore, may i suggest you check with the overseas registration authority, with whom you are applying for registration, in order to ascertain whether effective registration in the UK is required. if you do require effective registration with the NMC then please contact us.

i dont suppose any of you know what effective registration is? its just im already registered with the NMC so i dont know what this means?! any help appreciated

Archived