Official nurses thread!

Guest scots-in-oz!

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hi

I got my ward manager to sign mine, was a print out from my health boards online training system which documents any study time I have had. I also included a statement from myself repeating study day info and detailing what i thought my learning outcomes had been, and time I had spent mentoring and teaching. was a bit worried about it, but am now registered so must have been okay.

cheers

Gill x

Hey Gill

Thank you so much for replying to my post

I have spent my week off from work typing up evidence, I basically stated what the learning activity was, the dates and how many hours it took me. I was lucky to be a student mentor from Jan - March so counted that as a lot of hours, also my student very kindly wrote me a reference/statement about me. I basically typed up 10 pages of work with learning outcomes and what I thought I gained from my learning, I even put in mandatory stuff like manual handling, infection control IV theory and I am above 20 hours, so am hoping that this will be sufficient. You have given me reassurance I am on the right track and will get the ward manger to sign it this week.:biggrin:

x

Guest Dolly d

Hi I am mental health nurse and I have sent my

application for registration to AHPRA a few weeks ago.

I am bound for Tasmania. Can't wait, neither can my

husband and three kids. Happy days

Guest JamieMac78

Hello all.

Would anybody be able to advise...?

My wife is currently putting in the application for the registration to the AHPRA as a midwife, and she's just been offered a job in Melbourne (Southern Health).

The thing is though, we were hoping to get some help with the relocation costs and Southern Health haven't actually offered anything. We were mainly hoping for the cost of the flights to be reimbursed, as this would help massively in us being able to move out there by the end of this year (family of 4).

Does anybody know if hospitals in Melbourne offer help with the relocation costs?

Any advice would be really appreciated.

We're going to the London Expo in a couple of weeks so hope to find out some info there too.

Cheers.

Jamie.

Hi,

Does anyone have any contacts in the Northern Sydney area of Manly, Ryde,Northshore area re aviabilty of Child Health Nurse jobs. Am living and working in Perth at the moment and want to relocate to Sydney.Can anyone help?

DebbieG

Hi,

Does anyone have any contacts in the Northern Sydney area of Manly, Ryde,Northshore area re aviabilty of Child Health Nurse jobs. Am living and working in Perth at the moment and want to relocate to Sydney.Can anyone help?

DebbieG

Hi Debbie,

Am sorry I cannot help, just wondering why you are leaving Perth? Is it work related, the reason you are leaving?

We are in the middle of the this whole process, moving from scotland to Australia. We have picked Perth, but have no real grounds for our choice. More for my husbands job in telecoms really.

Donna x

Hi forum, big thread this!! ha ha....just answering the original threads question. Moving soon, details below about us. Adelaide planned....No work! Brisbane or Geraldton, WA.....interviews two days time (gulps).............awaiting AHPRA communication (grrrr) and job offer and then here we come. Good luck all nurses

Hi all

Can anyone advise on what you did with your NHS pension when you emigrated please?

Can you transfer funds to Oz superann scheme or a private fund or did you freeze it and start afresh?

Ta all.

A

Great question, interested to see the replies.

Donna x

Hi Donna,

I have a brother in Sydney and he's been there nine years and loves it. I came to Perth last year after I gained a job within Child Health (so didn't specifically choose to come to Perth other than the job was here).

Perth is lovely for families as it is quiet, laid back and family orientated whereas for singletons like myself (who are looking for a new social life) there's not a lot going on and if you go out for a meal or a drink it's double the price of Sydney.It is quite hard to make friends here as it takes time to network, so many Brits stick together in places like Armadale, Rockingham or up on the coast near Hilary's Harbour.They also meet up at the Brits meet up club (see internet for details). W.A also seems to be quite conservative on it's outlook, can be racist, not noted for their hard work or inovation and 30 years behind the UK plus there is no vibe, buzz or culture here and career progression epecially within my career of community nursing is limited.

The positives are that families seem to have a better lifesyle here as activities for the kids are free eg parks, beach etc. Fresh produce is readily available, weather is good and mums are encouraged to be housewives or work part time in order to be with the children while the men go and earn the cash either in the city or in the mines. Marriage, stability and family life is encouraged here.If you have a mortgage there is no snobbery attatched to home ownership so many families just rent til they get on their feet. Most people drive new cars as the price difference between second hand and new is minimal.

This is a small snap shot of how I have found Perth and I have tried to give you a balanced picture and it is only my opinion but another person may have a different view. I hope this helps you to make your mind up to where you want to settle?

Debs x

Hi Donna,

I have a brother in Sydney and he's been there nine years and loves it. I came to Perth last year after I gained a job within Child Health (so didn't specifically choose to come to Perth other than the job was here).

Perth is lovely for families as it is quiet, laid back and family orientated whereas for singletons like myself (who are looking for a new social life) there's not a lot going on and if you go out for a meal or a drink it's double the price of Sydney.It is quite hard to make friends here as it takes time to network, so many Brits stick together in places like Armadale, Rockingham or up on the coast near Hilary's Harbour.They also meet up at the Brits meet up club (see internet for details). W.A also seems to be quite conservative on it's outlook, can be racist, not noted for their hard work or inovation and 30 years behind the UK plus there is no vibe, buzz or culture here and career progression epecially within my career of community nursing is limited.

The positives are that families seem to have a better lifesyle here as activities for the kids are free eg parks, beach etc. Fresh produce is readily available, weather is good and mums are encouraged to be housewives or work part time in order to be with the children while the men go and earn the cash either in the city or in the mines. Marriage, stability and family life is encouraged here.If you have a mortgage there is no snobbery attatched to home ownership so many families just rent til they get on their feet. Most people drive new cars as the price difference between second hand and new is minimal.

This is a small snap shot of how I have found Perth and I have tried to give you a balanced picture and it is only my opinion but another person may have a different view. I hope this helps you to make your mind up to where you want to settle?

Debs x

Thanks Debs,

Nice to hear from someone what its like. I am married with a little girl who is 4, and work part time at the moment. I am hoping to work part time in Perth, and let my hubby work full time!

Probably gonna have to rent for a bit before we buy too.

Am searching for a relaxed family life where we can spend time doing stuff as a family, so that all sounds encouraging!

Donna x

Hi Donna,

glad I could help and give you a snap shot of what Perth is like. For you and your family it will be perfect and you will all love it as it is very family friendly. Whatever you and your family decide you'll never regret coming over whether your plans are short or long term.

Good luck with the move

Debs x

Hi amanda12,

I came out to Perth a year ago and chose to freeze my NHs pension and rent out my flat just in case I decided I wasn't going to stay long term in Australia.It's up to you what you want to do?

Debs x

Thanks Debs

Do you happen to know if it is possible to transfer it into superann in Oz?

Thanks again Amanda

Hi Amanda,

my Australian supa fund/company is Gesby as I work for Riverlands Health Service. On my last statment it said they are about to launch their transferral of UK pension funds policy from the Uk to Oz. But have read that people on this forum have transferred their Uk pensions to Oz quite easily. So it can be done. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Debs x

• 3 weeks later...

Could someone give me some advice please?

I've had my application assessed and I've got to provide a satisfactory statement of service for the last 5 years. Well I thought I'd already done this and I don't know what was unsatisfactory about them. Where it says 'describe the role in which you were employed', do they want a full job description? My current employer has just written that I'm employed 'as a nurse on a haemodialysis unit', and my last one wrote a full job description. It's impossible to get hold of my link officer, short of staying up all night and calling every hour!

Because I qualified in 1990 I only hold a certificate in nursing but have 20+ years of experience. The only diploma study I have is a leg ulcer course with 100 hours of study (they've asked for a breakdown of this). Will this be enough?

Guest tandcmum
Could someone give me some advice please?

I've had my application assessed and I've got to provide a satisfactory statement of service for the last 5 years. Well I thought I'd already done this and I don't know what was unsatisfactory about them. Where it says 'describe the role in which you were employed', do they want a full job description? My current employer has just written that I'm employed 'as a nurse on a haemodialysis unit', and my last one wrote a full job description. It's impossible to get hold of my link officer, short of staying up all night and calling every hour!

Because I qualified in 1990 I only hold a certificate in nursing but have 20+ years of experience. The only diploma study I have is a leg ulcer course with 100 hours of study (they've asked for a breakdown of this). Will this be enough?

Would your current manager sign a CV for you that covers everything you have done over the past 5 years. For each job you have had you could write a short piece describing the role you did. It might be also worth sending a copy of your job description along with your starment of service from your current job

Hiya,

Hope someone can help, I am hoping to have my Skills Assessment looked at shortly. Apparently, there are about 400 in front of mine!!

When I phoned the other night, the lady on the phone was checking that all my paperwork was there, and said that they are still missing my inital nurse registration statement. I have not got this, but had the NMC send them the verification that I am on the register for the £34! They have this! She kept mentioning that they need this inital registration letter, so my question is, what did you all do? Did anyone not have this inital registration letter, and still pass the skills assessment. The NMC said they cannot send out one now.

Thanks in Advance,

Donna.

Hi All

I'm a learning disability nurse (developmental disability nurse) hoping to emigrate to Adelaide. I was just wondering if there was any other LD nurses on here?

Also can anyone recommend a nursing immigration agent to sign up to? I have found lots of recruitment agencies that help you find a job but up to now none that will help with the visa process etc.

Guest laurenandsteve

hi everyone,

my name is lauren i am a nurse and my boyfriend is a joiner we live in engand and are looking to move to australia soon. We are going through the process of my boyfriends skilled visa application.

by the time i get to australia i will have 12 months exsperience as a nurse will a higher diploma qualification does anyone think i will be able to find a job with this experience?

i would be grateful for any repli as this is my first post thanks

lauren

Phone them is the best thing, once I got a job they started to speed it up after I had faxed the Ozzie contract. Running at 5 months processing time I am advised....

patience is a virtue with these things. AHPRA is processing over 100,000 registrations this year!

thanks

Could anyone tell me how long it takes to get your registration with AHPRA? They've had my application for 2 months and they haven't taken the money from my account yet. It's so fustrating!

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
hi everyone,

my name is lauren i am a nurse and my boyfriend is a joiner we live in engand and are looking to move to australia soon. We are going through the process of my boyfriends skilled visa application.

by the time i get to australia i will have 12 months exsperience as a nurse will a higher diploma qualification does anyone think i will be able to find a job with this experience?

i would be grateful for any repli as this is my first post thanks

lauren

Hi Lauren,

I heard somewhere that you have to have a nursing degree to work as a nurse in OZ? Don't know if that is true or not, just what I was told. Maybe you need to have a nursing degree if you are using that job as an empoyed visa? Am sure you will find work i have not seen any adverts staing that you need so many years nurse experience.

Sorry can't be of more help.

Claire

Hi Donna,

I have just read that you need your initial registration letter for the skills assessment, did you get it all sorted? I know on the page on NMC website about getting verification for overseas, it mentions a link if you don't have a statement of entry, hopefully you can get one through this link. Good luck, hopefully it won't be long now.

Archived