Official nurses thread!

Guest scots-in-oz!

Guest kate dodds

Hi ,

Yer it's CTC il be working on when I eventually get my registration just waiting on nmc stuff nightmare!!

Mu Hubby is a civil engineer primarily highways design but since being over here he works on the railway design part.

He works for a company called aurecon is based on st Kilda road about 10min from city.

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest kate dodds

Just got the phone call, I will appear on the register tomorrow morning, at last it's finally happened I am elated!!! Was actually near to tears when my case worker rang me!!

From sept 2010 this has quite literally taken over my life and my husbands as I've been constantly moaning about it.

To everyone still waiting the best of luck it's worth it in the end, our lives are great out here . Once u have a case worker it's so much easier to keep in touch and get things moving . My case worker was fab, it's just gettin it to that point that's so so annoying!

Guest kate dodds

Just got the phone call, I will appear on the register tomorrow morning, at last it's finally happened I am elated!!! Was actually near to tears when my case worker rang me!!

From sept 2010 this has quite literally taken over my life and my husbands as I've been constantly moaning about it.

To everyone still waiting the best of luck it's worth it in the end, our lives are great out here . Once u have a case worker it's so much easier to keep in touch and get things moving . My case worker was fab, it's just gettin it to that point that's so so annoying!

Yay congrats x

Thanks Liz! Very helpful! Are you doing all this on your own too with out an agent?

And one more question. You send the docs as you go along on the assesment, right? Gawd is so confusing!

Yeh I suppose you got to look at the long term picture, it willlllllllllllllll be worth it! :laugh:

We are undecided on NSW or QLD. I think it will prob be in Sydney for first year or so then once settled we will move up the coast.

Where are you thinking of going?

:jiggy:

Yes the nmc ielts and university all send it on for you, you just say who all you want it to be sent to!

Planning Sydney, the person whos going over with me has been there before and loved it in Sydney the best. Im not using an agent as the prices are so high for them, but an agent sent me out a pack of quite useful stuff so thats helped a bit. Its so frustrating how long its all going to take. :wacko:

liz :jiggy:

Hi there,

My friend who is coming to Australia with me has not sat the IELTS she does not require to have an anmc assessment carried out as it is not required for her visa. Regarding the IELTS I know the ahpra state something along the lines that if you have completed secondary education to a level that can get you into nursing in an english language then you do not need IELTS. My question is she left school in 4th year, so did not initially have the grades to do nursing, she worked as an auxillary and also completed svq's in health care. Does anyone know would this be enough to mean she doesnt need to sit the IELTS? My friend emailed ahpra and is yet to hear back, even though she keeps emailing them!

Liz

Congratulations Kate on your registration!

I now have a case officer as from today :shocked: Surprise surprise! they are requesting my NMC verification cerificate and transcript from ANMC which have already been sent. Once you had a case officer how long did it still take?

Thanks

Sharon x

Guest kate dodds

Hi ,

I would say just under 4 weeks from her initial contact with me as I had bits missing like my nmc certificate wasent found so I had to request another one which took 3 weeks to arrive here I think if u have everything in place it would probably be quicker. My case worker was great direct phone number and email address and she was always available and returned emails same day, as ur still in England u will hopefully get a email verification when u are registered but u won't appear on register until u make appointment to actually go in office with your Id just to verify who you are, I did that yesterday and it took 2 mins . Case workers just have all ur information in front of them and they can give u time frames , just so much easier. Good luck keep us updated

Guest nikkisheed1988

Hi everyone!!

Im just looking for some advice... I am currently working in Oncology 1.5years post registration. Looking to head to Oz to test the waters and see if its the life for us. Would be applying for a 1 year working visa with the hope of extending it to two years.

Has anyone done this? and ay tips/experiences they would like to share?

Is work easy to find? Even if it is just casual.

Thanks,

Nikki

Guest nicando

Hi i'm Nic and I work in an emergency unit in Wales, uk. I'm married with 2 children 5 and 11. My aim is to get to Oz, hopefully Adelaide. I am waiting to resit my Ielts test so that I can apply for a skills assessment. It's just the beginning for me but i'll stick with it x

Hi everyone!!

Im just looking for some advice... I am currently working in Oncology 1.5years post registration. Looking to head to Oz to test the waters and see if its the life for us. Would be applying for a 1 year working visa with the hope of extending it to two years.

Has anyone done this? and ay tips/experiences they would like to share?

Is work easy to find? Even if it is just casual.

Thanks,

Nikki

Hi,

Ive done it and its really easy...there's loads of agencies out here offering casual work, you can try emailing hospitals too to get on the bank. My tip is to bring certified copies of everything with you and if poss have a written copy of your references as thats what held me up - waiting for for references from the Uk due to the time difference.

Dont worry about get a police certificate from the UK (as I did) as they're not interested and will make you apply for one out here.

Good luck xx

i take it your visa was for a 176 sponsered visa, and not 175, we applied last AUG and not heard a thing 175 visa.

Hi Everyone,

I'm Donna (32), and came across this thread while looking through the forum. Got brave and joined tonight. Have so many questions and queries I don't know where to begin. I'm married with a 4th year old daughter, looking for a better life for us all. Ive been nursing now for 11 years, presently working in A&E in Lothian. Well firstly we have got an agent, and am trying to complete the skills assessment. Sitting the Ielts on 12th March, and thats causing me a panic already! All the other docs are with the agent, so once the Ielts is done and hopefully passed the that will be away.

We are hoping for the 176 visa, with state sponsership in WA.

One difficult to answer question if anyone can answer, is there any idea how long this will take. The agent reckons 12-18 months, does that sound about right?

Am looking forward in speaking to anyone in a similar situation,

Thanks, Donna.

Guest kikibinx

Hi i'm Simone (32) and new to PIO. I'm currently a 2nd year student Adult nurse and once i qualify would love to move to perth with my husband and two boys to start a new life there. Could someone be kind enough to let me know what visa we would apply for?, i'm under the understanding because i have no experience (when i qualify) as a post grad nurse that i won't get a skilled visa or the skilled individual one... although i have 12 years experience in the health and social setting as a residential/support worker i'm under the understanding this counts for nothing pretty much :sad:.

My husband is a MET police officer who has served 9 years and agin this counts for nothing :policeman:

I'm really hoping we can achieve our dream on living a life down under

Any advice would be great xxx

Simone xxx

Guest mickjdoc

Hi everyone, my name is Christina, I'm new to the forum, 1st post, but I'm sure someone has answered this question, questions ?

I qualified Sept 2010 with a Bsc Hons degree, a UK born and bred national with proof of my secondary education in England.

I am obviously considering migration to Australia and I know I will have to have at least a years experience, I started work immediately after qualifying as a theatre practitioner and continue to progress.

I am 46 years of age and I also know this can limit my visa options, so I am considering the regional nursing route, probably my only option !

I have no preference of area in Australia that I want to live, coastal would be nice but not fussy.

The real sticking point for me is the IELTS test.

Is this compulsory for some one with my background and education ?

I've read so many different threads that I'm so confused. And I think it's a real insult to ask migrants from 1st language english speaking and educated countries to participate in this stupid exam.

It's putting me off going through with this. Is there anyone else going through the same thoughts as myself ? Has anyone got any real definative answers ?

Thanks people.:arghh:

Hi Everyone,

I'm Donna (32), and came across this thread while looking through the forum. Got brave and joined tonight. Have so many questions and queries I don't know where to begin. I'm married with a 4th year old daughter, looking for a better life for us all. Ive been nursing now for 11 years, presently working in A&E in Lothian. Well firstly we have got an agent, and am trying to complete the skills assessment. Sitting the Ielts on 12th March, and thats causing me a panic already! All the other docs are with the agent, so once the Ielts is done and hopefully passed the that will be away.

We are hoping for the 176 visa, with state sponsership in WA.

One difficult to answer question if anyone can answer, is there any idea how long this will take. The agent reckons 12-18 months, does that sound about right?

Am looking forward in speaking to anyone in a similar situation,

Thanks, Donna.

Hi Donna,

I am a stroke nurse in Lothian, can't really answer the time question as everything has changed very time I take a step! I have sa sponsorship which was very quick but I think wa take a lot longer from what I've read here? We have 176 application in from November an are hoping for a case officer in next months, but who knows really! I had a get together with extended family last year as a goodbye but embarrassingly am still here! Am aiming to be away by this summer? Ielts is okay, found it easier on the reading section to read questions first and look for the answers or time just goes! Was so nervous I went to loo after each section! Good luck

Gill x

Guest kate dodds

We went on 457 skilled migrant visa as my Hubby is a civil engineer all gone through him 4 year temp visa then we apply for citizenship hopefully

Hi i'm Simone (32) and new to PIO. I'm currently a 2nd year student Adult nurse and once i qualify would love to move to perth with my husband and two boys to start a new life there. Could someone be kind enough to let me know what visa we would apply for?, i'm under the understanding because i have no experience (when i qualify) as a post grad nurse that i won't get a skilled visa or the skilled individual one... although i have 12 years experience in the health and social setting as a residential/support worker i'm under the understanding this counts for nothing pretty much :sad:.

My husband is a MET police officer who has served 9 years and agin this counts for nothing :policeman:

I'm really hoping we can achieve our dream on living a life down under

Any advice would be great xxx

Simone xxx

Hi Simone- Im just starting my training to be a nurse also but at uni here in Perth. We came out on a skilled visa as my husband is a chippie.

We have friends here in the police force and he is ex-met . He got here on a visa by applying to the WA police. Sorry if you have already looked into this but I have seen several adverts recently as they are recruiting again.

Maybe look into it again now to see if your husband would be eligible ? Ill ask my mate when I see him later this week if they are recruiting from UK etc and find out whats going on. :smile:

Keep smiling

Dawn x

Guest guest36888

Hi Dawn, just wondering about nursing training in Oz as my daughter is thinking of completing her training here once her visa comes through. She is currently in UK training as an Operating Department Technician) ODP but as there is no real equivalent here she has been told she could go to 2nd yr of nurse training! Our main concern was on the cost and how she would manage on the student loans given to domestic students?

Gill.

Hi Donna,

I am a stroke nurse in Lothian, can't really answer the time question as everything has changed very time I take a step! I have sa sponsorship which was very quick but I think wa take a lot longer from what I've read here? We have 176 application in from November an are hoping for a case officer in next months, but who knows really! I had a get together with extended family last year as a goodbye but embarrassingly am still here! Am aiming to be away by this summer? Ielts is okay, found it easier on the reading section to read questions first and look for the answers or time just goes! Was so nervous I went to loo after each section! Good luck

Gill x

Hiya Gill, Thanks so much for replying, it is exciting tmies for you being away by the summer! The agent said that he reckoned about 3-4 weeks for the WA ss, but says its changing all the time, so probably by the time mine is in, then I will be much longer!

Thanks for the tips on Ielts, it gives me a dodgy tummy everytime I think of it!

That is exciting as read this morning you have a CO. I take it that brings you visa along better once they are allocated. Do you know how long now you have to wait till its granted?

Where are you thinking about moving to in SA? In Perth, we were looking on websites at North of the river, nr Joondalup. My friend works there and likes it, so hoping there maybe jobs there when we finally get there!!

What drew you to SA, not sure why we have picked Perth really!

Did the Ielts take the whole day? Getting my husband to print of sample papers tonight so I can practice. The writing part was causing me concern, but maybe I should worry about the reading now too!

Looking forward to hearing more news from yourself. Would it be ok to send you a PM, as do have lots of questions!!

Thanks, Donna xx

Hiya Gill, Thanks so much for replying, it is exciting tmies for you being away by the summer! The agent said that he reckoned about 3-4 weeks for the WA ss, but says its changing all the time, so probably by the time mine is in, then I will be much longer!

Thanks for the tips on Ielts, it gives me a dodgy tummy everytime I think of it!

That is exciting as read this morning you have a CO. I take it that brings you visa along better once they are allocated. Do you know how long now you have to wait till its granted?

Where are you thinking about moving to in SA? In Perth, we were looking on websites at North of the river, nr Joondalup. My friend works there and likes it, so hoping there maybe jobs there when we finally get there!!

What drew you to SA, not sure why we have picked Perth really!

Did the Ielts take the whole day? Getting my husband to print of sample papers tonight so I can practice. The writing part was causing me concern, but maybe I should worry about the reading now too!

Looking forward to hearing more news from yourself. Would it be ok to send you a PM, as do have lots of questions!!

Thanks, Donna xx

Hi Donna,

I am so excited to have co, i've been up since 5am on a day off! should mean that we have only police checks and medicals to pass to get our visa all being well?

We were actually always planning to move to perth too, would have been easier for hubbies work, but last summer everyone closed for applications, queensland and sa opened earlier and when we looked at sa we decided it suited us? a friend lived there before and loved it! wee bit cheaper, wee bit smaller, but further away?

IELTS was 4hrs from memory, are you going to basil paterson college? I got my name wrong and still passed! ( had just got married!)

Good luck

Gill x

Gill

Give me a Pm about anything, im happy to share my mistakes!

Guest oz we go

HI Chritsina my names marie and i qualified like yourself in sept 2010 but unlike you i only have a diploma with degree credits . I agree about the ielts test i have emailed and rec a reply from the APHRA who advised that if i could prove uk education and examination it may be accepted but on the other hand i emailed the same department a coupleof weeks later and the reply came from someone else who said i would have to do the elts test !!! so i am going to test the waters with the aPHRA and once i have rec my transcript from uni and got all my docs certified . I sat the general elts test in dec after incorrect info. By the way i have been told like yourself we need 12mths post grad for immigration however with yr degree you may get more points also if yu can get sponsorship from a hopsital/organisation in perth you may not need the 12mths and can go out on the 457 visa . hope this helps.

Guest cityfan

Hey...... We came on a 457 sponsored visa, from my telephone interview (12 July) to our flight out here (5th Sept) took weeks not months. I came with a free specialist health care agency, they were amazing and have been going since I started my training back in 1990. They go through all the process with you from start to finish, even had cards and phonecalls for a few weeks of being here....they are like an agent but completely free. They make their money from the hospitals in Oz, as they charge a finding fee.....You would have to come on a 457 visa though. I have had no trouble on mine at all and have been in Brisbane now for 18 months. My employers have told me they will apply for permanent residency next month for me so I will get it as soon as my two years are up (the time the dept of immig. want you to be here before changing status to pr)

I applied to the QNC for registration which came through in about 2 months, again with help from the agency. Then just waited for an interview, police checks and medical for myself only!! Had a phone interview and got offered the job right there and then, 6 weeks later, my hubby and 2 girls all boarded a plane and here we are!!

I would give them a ring they are so helpful. Once you have been here 2 yrs on a 457 you can apply for pr which comes through really quickly from employer nominations (my mate got it in 10days!, some can take up to 3 months which is still pretty fast)

You can apply for pr then still come on a 457, just when the pr is eventually granted you would need to leave OZ for a short while, as it would be an off shore visa you had applied for from the UK, so you need to be offshore when its granted. A trip to NZ is popular!

We weighed up the pros and cons and thought as pr was taking approx 2 years waiting time, we would rather be here and living a great life whilst waiting 2 years, than being stuck in the UK waiting. I will a perm resident hopefully by the end of the year and its so much easier if the employer nominates you as they have already done all the checks for the original application and as I have been here working for 2 yrs I have the added bonus of australian experince :)

The agency dont ask anything from you and are good source of knowledge, with free information...if you want their name I can private message you....don't want to look like I am advetrtising for them, I was just very happy with their service...cheers....x

Hi Dawn, just wondering about nursing training in Oz as my daughter is thinking of completing her training here once her visa comes through. She is currently in UK training as an Operating Department Technician) ODP but as there is no real equivalent here she has been told she could go to 2nd yr of nurse training! Our main concern was on the cost and how she would manage on the student loans given to domestic students?

Gill.

Hi Gill, yes it costs a bit here to study unfortunately but if u manage it there is so many job opportunities within nursing.

You study 4 units per semester if u full time, Im part time so only do 2 units per semester. Each unit costs between $500 and $600 dollars. So say 4 x $500 costs $2000 dollars per semester and there are 2 semesters in a year.

If you come over on permanent residency you get what they call commonwealth assistance where the government pay towards the cost so if your daughter is on a temp visa she will pay much more Im afraid but not sure what those costs are.

Once you get Oz citizenship you can apply for Hecs-Help which is a student loan basically and you can also choosed to defer paying for your units upfront ( although you only pay a semester at a time anyway) . I wont be a citizen for 3 yrs yet so am starting now anyway as already a mature student and dont want to wait !!

I think the training here is very good from what Ive seen and the uni s are well equipped.

So if your daughter wanted to work and study part time to spread the costs , its fairly easy to fit it all in as for each units you get a selection of times to pick from so u create your own timetable. Its very flexible.

If I can help at all with any more info please feel free to inbox/message me.

Dawn x

Guest oz we go

Hi Cityfan, thanks for your info i would love to speak to you and get details, but not sure how to private message ???? let me know and i will be in touch .

Archived