Official nurses thread!

Guest scots-in-oz!

Guest Jamie Hunter
Not in the cases that my wife has helped out in. A nurse that trained with my wife back in the UK was sponsored by the Mater Private and wanted out within 6 weeks (subsequently one of quite a few). My wife got her an interview with the Prince Charles, she was accepted, and that was the end of it. She recently applied for PR when her 2 years were up. As long as you are employed in the same profession as you were sponsored in, there seems to be no problem. That was a couple of years ago (when she left her original sponsor) and I'm not aware of any changes since.

kev

Is the Mater Hospital not a good workplace??? I had heard it is good to its staff and offers better benefits than some of the other private hospitals???

have you heard what Brisbane Private Hospital is like to work for??

I've applied for posts in public hospitals but am worried that the sponsorship will be a problem. :confused:

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest guest30038
Is the Mater Hospital not a good workplace??? I had heard it is good to its staff and offers better benefits than some of the other private hospitals???

have you heard what Brisbane Private Hospital is like to work for??

I've applied for posts in public hospitals but am worried that the sponsorship will be a problem. :confused:

Most of the complaints that I've heard against private hospitals have centred not around working conditions or salary but the fact that nurses are often asked to "fill in" in areas of discipline that they aren't accustomed to. If you don't mind chnging wards frequently, then it's ok.

I can't comment on hospitals as a whole as I've heard complaints about the Mater and also heard glowing reports, as I have from other hospitals. From what I can gather, it's a matter of the complainants just landing on a particular ward or encountering particularly unfriendly staff. I suppose that can happen in the public sector also.

I wouldn't worry about the sponsorship because if you are uncomfortable with your sponsor, as long as you find a position elsewhere in your profession, you can break with the sponsor. Of course, if they've financed you, then there would be consequences. My wife found a position for a nurse that she trained with in the UK. She was sponsored by the Mater, couldn't stick it, and after 6 weeks took a position at my wife's hospital. They didn't sponsor her, just gave her the position and there was no comebacks from the mater or immigration. This was a couple of years ago but to the best of my knowledge, nothing has changed.

kev

kev

• 4 weeks later...

Hello,

My husband is waiting on his ANMAC nursing skills assessment to come back. We posted it at the end of March and they tell me they received all the paperwork on the 17th April but we are still waiting for a decision. We were hoping to submit our 175/176 visa application before the 1st July changes but its not looking hopeful now at this stage :-(. We have tried calling them but they don't tell you much, the last time we called we were told that they were in the process of verifying all of our documents.

Just wondering if anyone else is waiting and how long they have been waiting for??? All this waiting is sooooo frustrating.......

We are also waiting on APHRA nursing registration. We sent this off to Darwen about 6 weeks ago. They have taken the money but we have heard nothing since

Amanda & Arthur

• 2 weeks later...
Guest lynn leisk

Hi All, am about to apply for nurse registration for queensland, and understand from this forum that this can take anything up to 6 months!!! Does anyone know if there is a time limit to arrive in Australia once registration is granted. Thanks

Guest safety sam

My girlfriend is a healthcare assistant not a fully qualified nurse ( this is what he wants to become ) would she still find work over there

If we were to come on a years working visa??

I only see nursing jobs advertised?

If we like it there she will probably do her 3 years training and we will come back...

Guest guest30038
Hi All, am about to apply for nurse registration for queensland, and understand from this forum that this can take anything up to 6 months!!! Does anyone know if there is a time limit to arrive in Australia once registration is granted. Thanks

The limit is that which is imposed by your visa ie validation and taking up residency. You will be subjected though, to the conditions that Aphra lays down in registration eg have to prove that you've still been practicing whilst waiting to come here.

keev

Guest Luckylou87

Hello All!

New on here but I've been reading through the forum so I'm quite familiar with the way things work.

I was just wondering if anyone could give me any advice on Theatre Nursing in Australia? I'm also just about to send away my AHPRA registration to the Victoria board and was wondering if anyone's just received theirs back and how long it took to process etc?

Lou

Guest rose4eva

Posted my re-registration off yesterday from the UK. I was originally on the nursing registration (in WA and NSW). It lapsed in Dec 2010 as i was living back in the UK.

Does anybody know how long roughly it's taking to get back on the register??? I have heard about 6 months. I still need to contact (chase up again) the NMC here in the Uk to send off their proof to AHPRA.

I know you have to have registration before most hospitals will interview you or offer you any position.

I am looking to moving back Dec time and going to try Melbourne this time x

Guest jacqui70

Hi

I needed to reregister with melbourne, AHPRA lodged forms in April got email confirmation in June (approx 8weeks) would have been quicker if NMC sent paperwork at the same time they took money out of my account not 3 weeks latter!!!!!and 2 phone calls.

Keep on top of NMC...

Guest rose4eva

Thanks, i sent registration back to Perth as i initally registered with the old regisrtaion in Perth. Even tho i am moving to Melbs.

Thanks for ur advice. 8 weeks isn't too bad!!! Alison Rose x

Guest scotsnurse

Hi there,

Been out of the loop for a few months.

Going to oz for a months road trip in september. Sydney to cairns on the open road. Cant wait.

So it will be make or break for us. Deciding factor I think.

Is there anything I can do when out there?

I havent even started anything visa wise. No skills asses, registration, anything!

Not even sure what the new guidlines are now (im rubbish lol)

Anyway just thought I would say hi and if any ideas of able to do anything whilst over there in terms of visa etc, let me know.

Good luck everyone.

Guest tandcmum
Hi there,

Been out of the loop for a few months.

Going to oz for a months road trip in september. Sydney to cairns on the open road. Cant wait.

So it will be make or break for us. Deciding factor I think.

Is there anything I can do when out there?

I havent even started anything visa wise. No skills asses, registration, anything!

Not even sure what the new guidlines are now (im rubbish lol)

Anyway just thought I would say hi and if any ideas of able to do anything whilst over there in terms of visa etc, let me know.

Good luck everyone.

The only thing I could think of doing would be if you wanted to get your registration sorted whilst you were there you could get all your documents ready and take them with you and go into one of the AHPRA offices, not sure if that would be any quicker doing it that way??

Guest scotsnurse
The only thing I could think of doing would be if you wanted to get your registration sorted whilst you were there you could get all your documents ready and take them with you and go into one of the AHPRA offices, not sure if that would be any quicker doing it that way??

Hmmm I might do that.

Hi btw!!! Townsville??? I loved Townsville! Did you get a job? Congrats! X

Guest tandcmum
Hmmm I might do that.

will Pm you x

Hi all!

Hoping someone out there can help?! Basically I hope to be moving to Perth on OH sponsored VISA - prob in next couple on months! I want to register to nurse in Perth but not sure where to start - what to do first and whats actually required??? Have read APHRA site - my but that seems complicated! A friend told me I dont have to register with APHRA and just need to register with relevant state - is this right? SoOo many questions?!? Any help and advice thats straightforward :) gratefully received! Thanks

Guest guest30038
Hi all!

Hoping someone out there can help?! Basically I hope to be moving to Perth on OH sponsored VISA - prob in next couple on months! I want to register to nurse in Perth but not sure where to start - what to do first and whats actually required??? Have read APHRA site - my but that seems complicated! A friend told me I dont have to register with APHRA and just need to register with relevant state - is this right? SoOo many questions?!? Any help and advice thats straightforward :) gratefully received! Thanks

You cannot nurse without registering with Aphra.

You cannot nurse without registering with Aphra.

The AHPRA are an amalgamation of all the states nursing registration bodies - they used to be all separate, but now it's just under the one name. You still advise them on your application your principal state of employment (so in your case WA)

Hi all!

Hi Angie

You need to start getting your docs together ASAP and send off your application to AHPRA soonish! Other wise u can't practice as a nurse. don't think u need the visa before sending it off but it takes time to get all the docs together-start now! x

Hi all!

It can be daunting but like others said, get the documents together asap and send off form, it can take some time for them to process your registration. Look at these twon links and spend some time reading what is required:

http://www.nursingmidwiferyboard.gov.au/Internationally-Qualified-Nurses-and-Midwives.aspx

http://www.nursingmidwiferyboard.gov.au/Forms.aspx The form you need is AGOS-04 (second one on the list) Read very carefully what they need and follow it to the letter. First things first, book IELTS test, you can find information about your nearest test centre in the UK by doing google search.

I found lots of helpful info on these forum pages, but also I was aware that if I needed an answer and wasn't sure I e-mailed AHPRA persoanlly and got the info from the horses mouth rather than listening to hearsay. This isn't a slag off of any one who posts, merely my experience that any info needed for official channels is best gained from the official bodies that deal with matters. I.E. AHPRA and DIAC.

Good luck!! Start getting documents now!

:chatterbox:

It can be daunting but like others said, get the documents together asap and send off form, it can take some time for them to process your registration. Look at these twon links and spend some time reading what is required:

http://www.nursingmidwiferyboard.gov.au/Internationally-Qualified-Nurses-and-Midwives.aspx

http://www.nursingmidwiferyboard.gov.au/Forms.aspx The form you need is AGOS-04 (second one on the list) Read very carefully what they need and follow it to the letter. First things first, book IELTS test, you can find information about your nearest test centre in the UK by doing google search.

I found lots of helpful info on these forum pages, but also I was aware that if I needed an answer and wasn't sure I e-mailed AHPRA persoanlly and got the info from the horses mouth rather than listening to hearsay. This isn't a slag off of any one who posts, merely my experience that any info needed for official channels is best gained from the official bodies that deal with matters. I.E. AHPRA and DIAC.

Good luck!! Start getting documents now!

:chatterbox:

I agree, AHPRA will tell you themselves what they need and it is better to hear from the horses mouth, but I did not need to do the IELTS test as I provided letters from my secondary education stating that I was taught in english, so if you can get this then you may not need to do this as some others on this forum haven't either - just something to think about.

Good luck! :notworthy:

Guest archie35

Hi all, I'm new to all this as we have only recently decided to make the big move, so we still have to actually start the paperwork ball rolling. My first question is, if I register with AHPRA do I need to sit the IELTS? I have been told conflicting opinions on this, some say I 100% need to sit it to register as a nurse with ANAMC and others say if I register first through AHPRA then I only need certified docs saying I attended high school here and was taught in English. I know there is an IELTS course in Glasgow in August and was wondering wether or not to apply?

Secondly can anyone advise on which paperwork I should be filling out first and which visa should I apply for? (We are hoping for permant residency, OH is 40 & a paramedic, children are two boys aged 16 & 13.)

Also we are attending the expo in Glasgow next week, anyone else going??

Apologies for the long post, any infor would be great :)

Hmmm I might do that.

I would urge a little caution in taking your employment and registration application documents with you, whilst holding a tourist visa. It could be construed by the Dept of Immigration that you intended to try and work whilst in Australia on a tourist visa.

I would talk to them first, rather than just turn up with a sheaf of documents, and find yourself turned round at the airport.

Guest tandcmum
I would urge a little caution in taking your employment and registration application documents with you, whilst holding a tourist visa. It could be construed by the Dept of Immigration that you intended to try and work whilst in Australia on a tourist visa.

I would talk to them first, rather than just turn up with a sheaf of documents, and find yourself turned round at the airport.

I had never thought of that, it's a good point

THE IELTS TEST------- there is so much opposing information as AHPRA has seemed (or not) to change the goalposts about the IELTS. Contact them directly to ask!! For those waiting to go, get it from the horses mouth!!! A good IELTS score also helps increase points under the new scheme from 1st July. I keep whining about this, but we didn't want anything to hold up the process and we contacted the official bodies for guidance, and as much as PIO has been helpful, chinese whispers and hearsay are not...........

Rant over

Archived