Official nurses thread!

Guest scots-in-oz!

Hi

I have all the paperwork on standyby for the NMC, I haven't asked them to send my details yet, just in case ielts results are not acceptable. D-day is Friday for those results!

Wow! You have had a wait for your anmac haven't you! Thankfully I have a house extension to complete whilst I'm waiting so that should keep me busy. Hope you get some news soon

good luck with your ielts results:) , I'm retaking general test next month for points for visa . yes Anmac state 16 weeks minimum to assess , I check my emails every few hours as I'm scared I will miss an enquiry from them or something! thankyou and let us know how you get on , there are lots of nurses on here so someone can usually help if you need assistance or advice , I have found this site invaluable and members very helpful :)

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
hi michelle

my transcript just has headings including that of 'clinical skills' , but the syllabus content includes ' pharmacology' 'medicines management' and 'drug calculations'

not sure if this is enough for ahpra as doesnt say pharmokinetics or pharmacodynamics ......or is this covered under the term pharmacology do you think? ... im getting myself confused :)

Hi Louise

I think that is enough as pharmacology seems to be an umbrella term for pharmokinetics & pharmacodynamics. I have a copy of my transcript and it only mentions "The priniciples of administration of medication & pharmokinetics" I have asked my uni if they can send a cover letter, as I can remember covering all topics even though it was a long time ago! However if you are unsure ask the NMC if they would be prepared to do the same.

Good Luck with IELTS & AHPRA

Michelle x

People stop panicking and teasing words apart in the 'criteria'. If you were trained in UK and have UK registration then registering with AHPRA shouldn't be a problem. There is no recognition of mental health here anymore but this doesn't prevent UK nurses from getting AHPRA registration. It will all be cool. I remember fondly all the anxiety but jump the hoops and don't get bogged down with all te finer details. Pommy nurse = Aussie registration.

Well done @paednurseclaire on your ielts score! That's brilliant.

Just sat mine, not an experience I want to repeat if possible! Really hope I score high enough 

Thank you Robley! I'm sure you will pass with flying colours :) it's a relieve just to get it over with isn't it.

Good luck for your results and keep us posted :)

Hi All

I am a Forensic Staff nurse hoping to move over to Oz by the end of this year. My Partner is getting sponsored by his company to work in Oz and will be placed where he is needed. So it is Kinda hard to look for Mental health nursing post at the moment. I would hope to stay in Forensic however am flexible and have a diverse skill range. Hoe is the job front for mental health. Kinda new to the whole forum chat so any hint tip advice would be greatly appreciated

Hi All

I am a Forensic Staff nurse hoping to move over to Oz by the end of this year. My Partner is getting sponsored by his company to work in Oz and will be placed where he is needed. So it is Kinda hard to look for Mental health nursing post at the moment. I would hope to stay in Forensic however am flexible and have a diverse skill range. Hoe is the job front for mental health. Kinda new to the whole forum chat so any hint tip advice would be greatly appreciated

If you can expand a little then I am sure forum members can point you in the right direction . Australia is as big as Europe and things vary from state to state. Where will you be moving too? Have you got AHPRA registration? What visa? We are in queensland so I can share my experience nursing here but without sounding rude you will need to be more specific.

Hi All

The term "forensic" can mean different things in different states, territories and even within states. As an ED nurse in Queensland "forensic" refers to Grad Dip prepared sexual assault nurse examiners. In other states it refers to mental health nurses working in custodial forensic mental health, in yet others those nurses who examine and treat patients in police custody.

What do you do for a living currently? And what is your level & what was the focus of your post graduate qualification?

By the fact she said forensic 'staff nurse' im guessing she works in a forensic hospital / secure unit as a band 5 rmn?....but yes when you are applying/looking for jobs remember words can have different meanings to you and potential employer...there is a big forensic hospital in sydney and they were always recruiting when I was there but I would never wrk in nsw health in-patient again..unless you miss the 1950s ;) i have seen some forensic type community jobs posted in Queensland..ive found there are lots of jobs in mental health but im happy to move to wherever a job I fancy comes up...you wont know your chances till you know where u are going to move too...aus is huge!

Hi please could someone advise me the correct order to get everything processed we are about to start the ball rolling, i check and double check but as we're not using an agent just want to make sure. Is it IELTS, the EOI, then VISA? I am not sure when to contact ANMAC ect... please could someone advise me of this please?

Hi please could someone advise me the correct order to get everything processed we are about to start the ball rolling, i check and double check but as we're not using an agent just want to make sure. Is it IELTS, the EOI, then VISA? I am not sure when to contact ANMAC ect... please could someone advise me of this please?

Hi Manchester Lass,

It is IELTS, then ANMAC, EOI and finally visa. You require a positive skills assessment from ANMAC before submitting an expression of interest. Good luck with getting the ball rolling. It is a lengthy process but hopefully worth it!

Yes. @manchester lass - that's the right order. Best thing to do is get straight in with IELTS - do plenty of practice papers, get a book on it and cram. That's what my wife @robley did. We get results soon. It's quite hard, but if you get it right 1st time you'll never have to it again. (A bit like a driving test!)

Yes. @manchester lass - that's the right order. Best thing to do is get straight in with IELTS - do plenty of practice papers, get a book on it and cram. That's what my wife @robley did. We get results soon. It's quite hard, but if you get it right 1st time you'll never have to it again. (A bit like a driving test!)

IELTS? You don't need to do it if you can prove your secondary education was taught in English? Or have they changed the rules AGAIN?!! Hahaha

listen, there ain't no such as thing as 'forensic' here, unless you ARE back in the 1920's. Learn Aussie terminology first as many nursing terms/concepts/processes will be alien to the UK nurse. Mental health is utterly medicalised here.......

Without bursting the bubble and sounding cynical, the 'diverse skills' I also had can be parked at the airport, you won't need them. Mental health is a strange old game over here and different in many weird and wonderful ways from what UK'ers will be used to.....an open mind is needed :-)

Ielts needed for skills ax only not for aphra. I am getting my docs signed for both and to make sure it's done right the list of certifyers is much shorter for aphra than anmac so obviously it makes sense to use the aphra list then it only needs doing once.

My question is in the UK a magistrate and Jop are the same, but a magistrate is not on the accepted list for aphra. I'm thinking of paying a notery to be on the safe side but it's £200 plus VAT!

Archived