Citizenship

Wendy Robinson

In 4 days we have been in Perth for four years:shocked:. The time has come to make that all important decision... Do we apply for citizenship?

So people who are in our situation/already gained it, what were your reasons? Are you glad you took it?. Is there anyone who has decided not to? if so, why?

So far our 'for' reasons out weigh the against reasons.

An example of our 'for' reasons are as followed :-

Our youngest daughter is an Aussie.

Our 5 year old has told us on many occasions, "I know I'm English, but I want to be Australian too"

Our couple of 'against' reasons are as follows :-

Cost - for 2 adults and 3 children.

Having to vote.

The feeling of betrayal to to the UK..

So wise PIO'ers, help me out...:wubclub:

FWIW We probably will go for it, just because we can, but I am really interested in other peoples reasons for and against taking citizenship.

Looking forward to your thoughts.

Why would you be betraying the UK? You would still be a UK citizen. Having citizenship means that you can come and go as you please. You don't need to vote, all you have to do is turn up, have your name crossed off and put a blank ballot paper in the box.

Hi there, we got citizenship last year. Our daughter was born here, and although we are leaving Oz in a few weeks, we wanted to invest in the future and whatever that holds. citizenship gives us options... We felt that if she turned around when she is an adult and said she wanted to explore the country where she was born and then decided to stay, we would be able to follow if that's what's meant to be.

We have just been approved and are waiting for our ceremony. I was the natural last step for us. We want to be a part of this great country, we want to be able to have a say as to who is elected to government, so I don't see having to vote as a negative, but rather a positive. We would like to be able to come and go as we please without the need for RRV. We would like for our children to have dual citizenship because very few people in the world have the chance, and we don't want to throw it away. Becoming Australian citizens doesn't mean that we hate the UK, or that we will never again set foot on British soil. We love the UK, it is where we are from. But we live here, and our citizenship application reflects that fact.

I cant see why you wouldn't. No more messing around with visa's or having to stay here for a certain amount of time until your free to come and go as you please with visa's.

Just go for it. No doubt if you lasted the 4 years you like it here and will probably want to come back after living in the gloomy UK for a while.

Best thing to have in Oz is citizenship and another passport so you can go and work somewhere with less tax then come back and buy everything you couldn't afford.

In 4 days we have been in Perth for four years:shocked:. The time has come to make that all important decision... Do we apply for citizenship?

So people who are in our situation/already gained it, what were your reasons? Are you glad you took it?. Is there anyone who has decided not to? if so, why?

Our 5 year old has told us on many occasions, "I know I'm English, but I want to be Australian too"

Having to vote.

FWIW We probably will go for it, just because we can, but I am really interested in other peoples reasons for and against taking citizenship.

As we are finding out now, if your children are not Australian citizens when they go to university there are limitations on the financial assistance that is available to them for university fees etc.

One more reason (not applicable for you for a few years but still worth considering),

Guest GeorgeD

If you aren't Cirizens tehn you will all need ResidentsReturn Visas if you ever want to leave Oz and come back after 5 years on PR...evena holiday to Bali will require this. The cost is similar to an Oz passport anyway, so why not get Citizenship and at least use the quick queue at the airport!

You only have to pay for yourself and hubby, children under 16 years cost nothing to become citizens, they are automatically granted citizenship when you are. If you need a RRV then you do have to pay for the children, so much cheaper all round. Elena

For us it was just the next natural step and we never considered not taking Citizenship and lodged our application on the first day we could. We have been Australian Citizens since 1993 and have never regretted it. As we have chosen to live in Australia, we felt that we owed our allegiance to the country and therefore should have the right to vote. We have never felt that we have deserted our birth country and have maintained dual nationality with both passports.

We are all individuals though and will all have different reasons as to why we do become Citizens or not. My only comment to people who choose not to go the Citizenship route but continue to live in Australia, is that by not taking Citizenship, you forfeit your right to make any comment on the politics of the country as you have not contributed to it.

We applied for Citizenship as soon as we could. It felt like the final piece of the migration jigsaw slotted into place when we were handed the certificates.

10 years ago we would never have imagined being here in Australia, so who knows what the future holds or where we will be in another 10 years time... At least with dual citizenship it gives our children the choice of where to be without all the hoop jumping we went through.

Cal x

We left after 5 years with two aussie kids and did not apply for our citizenship and now, 24 years later, our two aussie born kids have now returned to Australia and us fools are in the process of applying for RRV, 24 years later :biggrin:. So dont make the same mistake, make life easier and do it now. You never know what life holds and vote if you have the opportunity......

I got my citizenship 2 weeks ago and its just the sensible thing to do. My passport should arrive next week but I have been plagued by letters and visits from senators, MPs and local councillors! The letter from my local councillor says " I am sure this was not an easy decision to make even though you have resided in this country for some time" ...ummm, its a no brainer mate.

You cannot be deported, you can get a job in a federal government department/agency so there are more job opportunities, its less hassle finding a job anyway, you can get a student loan (HECS) and pay 'local' training course rates if you want to do more study, you can support England or Australia in the Ashes/lions rugby tour, not worry about visas any more. Obviously AEC shares your details with everyone so I am expecting the candidates for the elections to knock on my door and looking forward to giving them a piece of my mind (I can still whinge for England).

As others have said, it gives you options, particularly for kids and peace of mind. Despite my whingeing, I cannot deny that Australia has given me more in 4.5 years than probably the UK did in my whole life and I am very grateful for that.

Guest Ptp113

Having to vote.

Betrayal to the UK? I've heard everything now (shakes head)

We have our appointments next month. Probably be citizens by August. As others have said for us its the final piece of the jigsaw, to feel more invested in the country, to give ourselves security and to be able to participate fully in Australian life.

Guest chris955

We took it out 20 odd years ago as it made travelling easier with having the 2 passports. Neither of us would have entertained it if we had to give up UK citizenship but as we didnt it was an easy decision. Dont worry you will always be British, a piece of paper wont change that ;)

We applied as soon as we were able, this is our home and we wanted to be able to vote. Although not on our minds at the time as the children were young, my daughter now at Uni was able to apply for a student loan. I've never had that great sense of 'belonging' to the UK that some have - it's just the place I was born and lived and whilst I have a lot of happy memories - but I don't see it as a sense of betrayal ... had I done that I would probably have never moved in the first place.

We're going to apply as soon as we can, for all the reasons stated so far (I really want to vote too!). I will NEVER support Australia in the Ashes though!!

We're just about to have a baby here (due date less that a week away!) so being citizens ourselves is an obvious next step for us.

Betrayal to the UK? I've heard everything now (shakes head)

Glad to be of service:hug:

Ok, so perhaps betrayal to the UK wasn't quite what I meant, not even sure what I meant TBH:embarrassed:.....BUT anyway thanks for all your replies.

As I said, we will be taking it because we can, I was just interested in peoples reasons. A lot of people have made very valid points, especially as far as HECS is concerned.

And I can see what people are saying about voting, It's just not something I have ever really been too bothered about.:dull:

Also the people who said it seems like the next natural step, and now I thought about it, it really does make sense for it to be the next step. We are happy here and have no immediate plans to return (not even for a holiday at this stage), so the passport side of things never really crossed my mind. But I can see how not having to queue in customs is a bonus.

Also the point about our children not having to jump through the same hoops as us is appealing. As I said we have no plans to return but obviously don't know what the future holds, so having peace of mind about returning and not having to go through the visa minefield has kind of sealed for me.:yes:

Thanks again for all you thoughts, (and for making me feel a bit of a plank for even asking:embarrassed:)

:wubclub:

(and for making me feel a bit of a plank for even asking:embarrassed:)

Never ever feel silly for asking! That's the whole point of the forum to ask questions :) I think it's a really good discussion point actually and cool to hear other people's thoughts on it.

I got it for myself and our three girls ten years ago. It has meant that we have been able to move back to the UK, back to Aus and back to the UK again when opportunities have arisen, without worrying about visas. I also wanted to be Australian and I'm still very happy to be able to say that I am.

My oh didn't do it, but hasn't had problems getting a RRV (it's his skills they want!).

Our middle daughter wants to go to uni in Australia and it's easy for her, not having to worry about visas now, or in the future. It also means that I worry less about the eldest, who wants to stay here in the UK for uni, because she can come and go as she wishes.

We may well decide to go back ourselves in a couple of years as new opportunities keep presenting themselves to my oh which are getting harder to ignore!

I can't think of a reason why it's a bad idea really. It's not as if it makes you any less British.

I would recommend anyone who can to get it. i went back home the first time i lived here but realised fairly quickly it was a huge mistake and wanted to come back almost straight away. its always goods to have options because you never know how you will feel in the future.

Archived