Singapore weather

TurnersInOz

Hi there.

It's less than a month to go, before we leave the UK - excited! Were doing a stopover in Singapore, staying on Sentosa Island for 4 nights/5 days. We have three children, 13, 5 and 10 month. I would love to hear what activities people think are worth a visit? Places to eat? etc

Also what weather to expect? I have a weather app on my phone and Singapore has been thundery showers for the last fortnight - do we take raincoats and umbrellas instead of bikinis and shorts!? Thanks :biggrin:

i loved the thunder storms in singapore , but its never cold except when you go into aircon lol its very humid , theres plenty to do at sentosa , east coast have a lot of sea food restraunts , and you have to pop into orchard rd to to takishamaya a big japanese dept store and you can see all the lois vuitton and channel etc its an eye opener to how much money is out there !!.

clarke quay is also nice loads of nice family friendly places to eat , i always found boat quay more for adults , china town is intresting i used to get a taxi to drop me off at temple street and walk around , little india is also good but can get very busy and crowded so dont know how you will go with a small child

Guest The Pom Queen

We love Singapore and always stay on Sentosa and to be honest only venture off when we catch the monorail to VivoCity the huge shopping centre and that's when we are there for 2 weeks so to be honest you are going to have plenty to do. Its a very safe place for the children as well. Which hotel are you staying at? We have stayed at Hard Rock (has a fantastic pool and great concerts) and Festive Hotel (good family rooms)

I lived on Sentosa for 16 months. Tanjong beach is lovely but the water is not very clean, certainly not like Australian beaches. You should takes bikinis and shorts as its always hot even when it rains! Universal on the island would be good for a visit too.

Guest The Pom Queen
I lived on Sentosa for 16 months. Tanjong beach is lovely but the water is not very clean, certainly not like Australian beaches. You should takes bikinis and shorts as its always hot even when it rains! Universal on the island would be good for a visit too.

Agree re the water I couldn't believe how much rubbish was in.

The weather is hot and humid, more humid than Cairns ever gets, you won't need winter woolies and if you take a coat make sure its lightweight or just buy a brolly.

Bumboat river trip (not a rude word!) is good fun, and the children would probably enjoy the night zoo at Singapore zoo.

I love the Jurong bird park, an enormous covered area with loads of exotic birds flying all around.

there is an M&S there just in case you find you need something, but more expensive obviously than UK, sorry if it isn't there any more, it was there in my day.

As others have said lots to do on Sentosa Island, and if the sky rail is still going it's quite a ride!!

i'm sure you will have a great time.

Guest The Pom Queen
Isn't there a night zoo in Singapore?

Yes there is and its lovely. So is the main zoo and Jurong

In January, I had a couple of pints of beer overlooking Clarke Quay. Walked round the bay to the Marina Bay Sands hotel. Checked out my vertigo at the top. Cruised the shopping malls. High tea at Raffles. Not necessarily in that order though :wub:

We love Singapore and always stay on Sentosa and to be honest only venture off when we catch the monorail to VivoCity the huge shopping centre and that's when we are there for 2 weeks so to be honest you are going to have plenty to do. Its a very safe place for the children as well. Which hotel are you staying at? We have stayed at Hard Rock (has a fantastic pool and great concerts) and Festive Hotel (good family rooms)

Hey. There does look plenty to do on the island, I was wondering what the beaches are like? and if I'm to expect plenty of rain will we even get to the beach!? Is the zoo worth a visit there, I know it's away from the city. There's probably too much to do within 4-5 days. Have you been to the gardens at the bay, I quite fancy spending some time there. It's reassuring about child safety, especially given court cases/incidents in UK these last weeks, certainly gets you super paranoid! We're staying at Siloso beach resort, reviews are very mixed on this hotel, but fingers crossed we land some nice rooms. This was preference to hotels on the mainland which seemed very small unless you paid a fair bit - we needed two hotels rooms so it added up! Mono rail looks fab though - I will be having a little ride on that! Thank you for the info :)

Boat key's ok as well,think theres a Hooters bar in Clarke key(so im told...)if your interested,if you do eat in/on Boat key,never give them what the price on the board is,for beer or food,well yer can,i just like haggling for the craic lmao!

Weather?,i was there april,early morning i landed(a.m),humid! awww i tell yer,i knew what Ghandi's flip flop must have felt like after half an hour,desperate to get in the shower!! great place tho

Oh what were you doing whilst living there? That's good to know about Tanjong beach, thanks. We're heading to Dubai first for 3 nights, Bikinis needed in those temperatures. Does it rain more at specific times of day? i.e. through the night?

​Has anyone visited Universal studios, I have been thinking that this would be something we would do.

Agree re the water I couldn't believe how much rubbish was in.

The weather is hot and humid, more humid than Cairns ever gets, you won't need winter woolies and if you take a coat make sure its lightweight or just buy a brolly.

R.E water: Really? That's terrible, I would have thought Singapore to be a clean place for some reason? Advice taken, thanks!

Bumboat river trip (not a rude word!) is good fun, and the children would probably enjoy the night zoo at Singapore zoo.

I love the Jurong bird park, an enormous covered area with loads of exotic birds flying all around.

there is an M&S there just in case you find you need something, but more expensive obviously than UK, sorry if it isn't there any more, it was there in my day.

As others have said lots to do on Sentosa Island, and if the sky rail is still going it's quite a ride!!

i'm sure you will have a great time.

Ha ha, glad that's not literal! I was wondering about the zoo, bird park, they do a night safari too - wondering if its worth a visit. Thanks for all the info, it's been helpful

Boat key's ok as well,think theres a Hooters bar in Clarke key(so im told...)if your interested,if you do eat in/on Boat key,never give them what the price on the board is,for beer or food,well yer can,i just like haggling for the craic lmao!

Weather?,i was there april,early morning i landed(a.m),humid! awww i tell yer,i knew what Ghandi's flip flop must have felt like after half an hour,desperate to get in the shower!! great place tho

erm Hooters bar...that doesn't sound too appropriate for the younger children, although I reckon my teenage son might quite fancy it!:)

erm Hooters bar...that doesn't sound too appropriate for the younger children, although I reckon my teenage son might quite fancy it!:)

Ahhh never really read the op in detail tbh,might be of interest to your lad as you say:laugh:,i might add,i strongly disagree with these type of places:policeman:,enjoy your trip anyway!

Hi,

We did Universal Studios when it first opened back in 2010. It was a 'soft' opening and a couple of rides weren't yet running and the attendance was restricted but it was still pretty good and had all of the hallmarks of a potential fully blown Universal park. We've also done Universal Florida so we have a benchmark and I'd imagine by now Singapore is flourishing. There's also downhill Luge and MegaZip on Sentosa that are good fun. Only thing is none of it is particularly cheap.

• 1 month later...

You can get a cable car to a mountaintop lookout. There is a night zoo. There are hawker markets with amazing food - try Chinatown and Little India for accessible ones, but fun can also be had if you go off the tourist trail a bit. There's Sentosa Island itself. You can get a boat to Batam in Indonesia - not much there but it gets you the fun of being on the water and views of Singapore from the sea. You can have a singapore sling at the long bar in Raffles.

When it rains, it rains very, very hard. An umbrella won't save you, you need to be under cover. Fortunately rain doesn't tend to last long and the storm drains are amazing - just don't fall in them.

Rain.jpg

Rain.jpg

We stayed in Singapore for a few days when we emigrated and found that the rain came and went very quickly. During the times the sun was out it was very hot and we had a hotel with a fantastic pool area. Our eldest was only 2 at the time and had white blond hair, the locals couldn't keep their hands off him and kept wanting to touch him, sign of luck apparently. We felt a bit weird when it first happened and our youngster was a bit surprised but as soon as we knew they didn't mean him any harm and the Singaporeans are lovely, gentle people generally, then it wasn't a problem. Had a great time.

We are staying in Sentosa Island in August for a couple of weeks, looks like a nice hotel and there seems to be plenty to do.

Archived