What made you throw the towel in ?

PomPrincesses

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your post though mentions unemployment in the UK amoung young people - as posted previously, Oz has higher unemployment among young people than the UK does

From the same articles,

UK youth unemployment 21.1%,

Aus:- In a small bright spot, youth unemployment dropped from 17.2 per cent in December 2011 to 16.8 per cent last month.

I agree with what's been said regarding sitting down with your husband it's sounds like it's impacting on your relationship but you need to decide one way or the other is he really against a move back?

However I would put my children's happiness above everything else in my decision making we all have different values.

Really? So, you are considering the fact that reports recently here have said that over 40% of kids leave school illiterate That almost half leave with no qualifacations, that young unemployment is higher in Oz, that undergrad Uni is shocking - most grads are at a level that would not pass second year in the UK. But, you are putting your children first!

Really? So, you are considering the fact that reports recently here have said that over 40% of kids leave school illiterate That almost half leave with no qualifacations, that young unemployment is higher in Oz, that undergrad Uni is shocking - most grads are at a level that would not pass second year in the UK. But, you are putting your children first!

But yet you're still hanging around, even though you don't work here.

Sources please.

I'll add to this discussion re Uni's in Oz and in general having spent an inordinate time as a director of finance at one in USA. I work as grad tutor my OH is a lecturer at the local G8. Now have established some ground of direct firsthand knowledge there are albeit 150k international students in Oz same for Canada in excessive of 300k in my last report for USA and for the life of me i cant recall the number for UK it was somewhere in between. Now the effect of dumbing down of qualifications is a fact. We cannot blame the students directly. Although, getting them to show up would be a start but hey they are working to pay the exorbitant fees. Now my point, International students barely spend 12 months learning English to attend scarily so a postgraduate masters degree qualification, they cant even read. Now add a culture in Oz of research and a demanding level of reading and you have a significant issue. The reason they are here is simple $$$$$ unis need cash. There is vanity marking no question. Are the students good enough to tie my boots no. I earnt my masters it was drudgery some 20 plus years ago..standards have slipped demands have lessened to keep butts in chairs as the costs of education rises so where did all that money go is the question. The students leave with a degree some paper qualification I have in may cases an MBA woo hoo they wont get jobs here due to not being able to speak clearly. But then most dont stay they just want the paper. I have on direct authority from a certain stream over the past three years that their government sends them to help reduce unemployment they know they wont necessarily get a job when they get home but they have a piece of paper. They also know that in their governments eyes the best degrees are American then UK then Oz rightly so or not, I cant judge nor to i make such sweeping generalisations even if there is sufficient phenomenological evidence to support that sweeping claim. that is about perception. Unemployed youth in Oz or UK doesn't translate to there should have gone to University either not everyone should fact remains there are less jobs regardless of age this is a function of a changing global economy, outsourced manufacturing and piss poor attitude towards working for a low wage even if the job was available. Case in point (citing an example) I worked in a library in 1982 for $4.00 an hour card indexing while at uni by tie I finished 1986 I was driving a bus $7....I had quit a decent enough job $9 an hour to do this but the cost of uni and my desire to go was something I undertook, how many can afford to do that now regardless of wages if they can get a job. Are kids less educated yes IMO, it starts at primary and secondary school then they are accepted with lower scores to drive revenue welcome to the corporate model of education. Maturity can't be bought its is learnt and to some degree taught teaching kids the value of education is hard when there aren't jobs and the cost of education is so bloody high.

Guest guest30085

you say your husband and yourself have been in and out of work, and your husband had been promised PR but he's now been laid off.

So which of the two of you were sponsored for the 457? As if it was your husband, and he no longer is employed then in a couple of weeks you wont have a visa and about a week or two to go before your time runs out to find another sponsor.

I hope that is constructive enough

Edited by guest30085
Typo errors

It's worse than that, I had the 457, he's been working without a visa for the past five months - with DIAC's knowledge but where we stand now I don't know. Last time it took 4 weeks to transfer the visa for me to start work and we do not have 4 weeks cash to survive in the meantime.

​the kids and I are 99% certainly going back, I'm utterly over it as the Aussies might say.

I guess you will probably all end up back in the UK. Surprised your husband can work without any visa- surely they must have given some sort of bridging visa to him or it would be illegal? It must be a nightmare for you - hope you quickly find work in the UK.

Guest guest30085

If you have the 457, then he has a visa as he will be included on your 457? Or did you and your children move to Oz on a temporary visa, but not include your husband in the application?

Again, nothing makes sense.

If you have the 457, then he has a visa as he will be included on your 457? Or did you and your children move to Oz on a temporary visa, but not include your husband in the application?

Again, nothing makes sense.

No (as I read it) she was the original 457 applicant, he her partner. When she lost her job DIAC allowed him to stay working whilst finding a sponsor. The new sponsor would have made him the primary applicant, but that has fallen through. So now everything is crashing down.. He wants to keep looking, she wants to pull the pin.

Look if you have nothing constructive to write then piss off tbh, I have had more dramas in the past five years than ****ing east Enders.

Hubby wants to stay so this will split up our family, hardly something to be gleefully gloating over.

Your posts in August last year were already heading in this direction, 4 weeks into a job you wanted to leave. You've been nothing but abrasive since then so I'm hardly surprised that you're not getting the sympathy you're after.

Having said that, the most constructive thing I can suggest is that you check the visa conditions for you and your husband, to see the impact of one of you returning to the UK. Would the other be able to stay?

No (as I read it) she was the original 457 applicant, he her partner. When she lost her job DIAC allowed him to stay working whilst finding a sponsor. The new sponsor would have made him the primary applicant, but that has fallen through. So now everything is crashing down.. He wants to keep looking, she wants to pull the pin.

Exactly, added into the mix he didn't work for friggin years and I mean years in the UK, he's had one job here that lasted 4 weeks, one that's lasted 6 months. I cannot bloody live like this

if I've been abrasive its because it pisses me off when I post my opinions about my life which nobody else is living and get called a liar, that's not conducive to getting the best from anyone.

ive offered my experience and help to others and even pats on the shoulder when required to anyone and everyone and yet I seem to have a little fan club that follows me around being rude, so they get it back. Simples.

And that's necessary is it ? The nanny got knocked up and moved to Melbourne dropping me right in the **** but that's ok because I didn't provide meals as well as a living wage :eek:

What goes around comes around

Edited by noworriesmate
removed personal comment

Guest guest30085

Now, bear with me, as I'm easily confused (it doesn't take much)

You were sponsored on a 457

Husband was included on your visa

You lost your job

DIAC decided to let you stay in Oz for the last five months without a valid visa

Your husband is working for a company that was going to sponsor him for PR

But this same company couldn't/didn't sponsor husband for a 457

You don't have a visa and neither does your husband

I think that's the basics covered

Edited by guest30085
Typo

like a school of piranhas in a feeding frenzy.

Some people just can't see when someone is in need of support.

I think PIO is very supportive of others when they reach out in need, compared to other forums I see. However it's give and take and I think it's been rather one way in some cases.

Actually she has a visa up until the time DIAC cancels it. That doesn't necessarily happen the moment you lose your job.

thats my understanding too and providing you keep DIAC informed rather than have them find you, it all seems to be relatively reasonable and straight forward.

one piece of information I found out recently which maybe helpful to others in the future is if you are on a 457 and everything goes **** up is that the sponsor has to repatriate you and your family.