What made you throw the towel in ?

PomPrincesses

Since arriving in Perth I think we've had about six weeks of both being employed and one flipping disaster after another, you couldn't make it up. So after being promised pr one week later hubby has been let go.

we have about three weeks before we'd literally run out of money. People back home will lend us some but it feels like throwing good money after bad.

ive had nice days on the beach, met nice people but honestly the grind of worrying about bills etc just sucks any positivity out of me.

i know the UK is on it's arse too though.

​what to do

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest chris955

Believe me we are in the UK, we came here last year, and it is not on its arse. Of course there are things here inherited from the last useless Government but most people are doing fine, not reading the Daily Mail helps ;)

Believe me we are in the UK, we came here last year, and it is not on its arse. Of course there are things here inherited from the last useless Government but most people are doing fine, not reading the Daily Mail helps ;)

The Daily Mail is the Tory mouthpiece

Of the people i know in Oz, most are either not working or worried about their jobs - admittadly most are in mining, but not one of my mates is concerned in the UK.

I have been chatting to a mate today in QLD who is a geo and just been forced to take a pay cut in an attempt to keep them afloat. Another emailed yesterday from WA to say he still cant find after 2 months and getting worried about the finances.

The reality is that the difference in unemployment is (official figures for what there worth) only about 2%. I think the real figures and underemployment are probably about the same.

Guest Guest 47403
Since arriving in Perth I think we've had about six weeks of both being employed and one flipping disaster after another, you couldn't make it up. So after being promised pr one week later hubby has been let go.

we have about three weeks before we'd literally run out of money. People back home will lend us some but it feels like throwing good money after bad.

ive had nice days on the beach, met nice people but honestly the grind of worrying about bills etc just sucks any positivity out of me.

i know the UK is on it's arse too though.

​what to do

The UK isn't totally on it's arse it's in a very bad state but other places are worse (Spain and Greece for example)

I'd think very long and hard about returning currently just by virtue of the unemployment figures Perth has one of the lowest in the world! Where as the UK well I'll let you research the current state of affairs it isn't good despite some people claiming to neither be affected or know anyone affected by the downturn it has happened and is ongoing................at the end of the day it's your lives and your decisions, I personally wouldn't want to be returning currently without a secure job offer.

I wouldn't be able to secure a job without returning I'd i

imagine. I'm seriously considering returning alone this has put our marriage under such pressure.

he cannot imagine working in the UK again and I cannot see h earning enough for us to even survive day to day much longer in Perth.

Guest chris955

It is nice to read facts rather than scaremongering. As you say the difference in unemployment is minimal in real terms and is very much area dependant. Perths rate just bucked the trend and INCREASED I think .5% for the one month.

Having been back just over a year now I would have no hesitation making the exact same move again.

Of the people i know in Oz, most are either not working or worried about their jobs - admittadly most are in mining, but not one of my mates is concerned in the UK.

I have been chatting to a mate today in QLD who is a geo and just been forced to take a pay cut in an attempt to keep them afloat. Another emailed yesterday from WA to say he still cant find after 2 months and getting worried about the finances.

The reality is that the difference in unemployment is (official figures for what there worth) only about 2%. I think the real figures and underemployment are probably about the same.

Guest Guest26012
Since arriving in Perth I think we've had about six weeks of both being employed and one flipping disaster after another, you couldn't make it up. So after being promised pr one week later hubby has been let go. we have about three weeks before we'd literally run out of money. People back home will lend us some but it feels like throwing good money after bad. ive had nice days on the beach, met nice people but honestly the grind of worrying about bills etc just sucks any positivity out of me. i know the UK is on it's arse too though. ​what to do

​good luck to you in whatever happens. Perth has worked for us. It's unfortunate for some that it doesn't. How long have you been here?

I'm uk based, and we have just started a new project. Sadly, we are looking offshore for the majority of the work force. But they can't justify taking on permies for just a year or two, and Indian contractors are far cheaper than UK ones. Still, we are still recruiting some on the uk side.

Guest chris955

What you need to remember is kids are incredibly adaptable, ours are born and bred Brisbane kids and love it here and neither would leave. Both countries offer children so much.

Guest Guest26012
10 months now, the kids like it and have friends which is another consideration of course

thats not very long? I would give it longer tbh. Can you work outside your professions? What visa are you here on?

Guest Guest 47403

The difference in the unemployment rates are correct unless people think they know better than the various agencies employed to come up the figures for both governments.

Some on here believe the unemployment rate for Oz is under reported it feeds there agenda, obviously the UK rate is spot on (as that also feeds there agenda and means there more on par)

I wish you all the best with your decision just look to other areas for advice too other than PIO as the advice on here is usually biased on both sides of the fence.

Guest Guest 47403
I'm uk based, and we have just started a new project. Sadly, we are looking offshore for the majority of the work force. But they can't justify taking on permies for just a year or two, and Indian contractors are far cheaper than UK ones. Still, we are still recruiting some on the uk side.

Do you work in IT by any chance as we are exactly the same, if we need to take on developers for a project we always recruit from India now.

I guess it all depends on your own personal tolerance limits.Do you feel you could be happy there if things were working differently for you?Or is it more than that?What I am trying to say is if you like the place but not the situation you're in,then I would definately go for any job and if its crap then look at it as a temp thing.If its more than that,then you have to consider the whole picture and where you will be the happiest.The UK is'nt on its arse.No one can deny "some"people are struggling,but I don't personally know anyone out of work.We're all just carrying on with life as normal.

Guest Guest 47403
10 months now, the kids like it and have friends which is another consideration of course

It is a consideration to many moves in a short space of time could have a serious affect on them.

Is there anything you can do to cut costs/save some cash, downsizing or if you have 2 cars sell one for example until work picks up?

Guest guest76088

Given that you were struggling on 200k, my only question is "...will you be gone when then morning comes"?

​BigD

We struggle on $100,000 each on a 457, if we had PR and that's the only reason we are still here, waiting for it, it would be easier but still, weather aside we are worse off than in the UK when working. However DH wasn't working so that's the crux of the matter, if ever DH got laid off we would be out of WA like a bat out of hell.

Guest chris955

Careful you arent accused of making these things up ;) We also dont know anyone out of work here or indeed in Australia, life for all of them as you say goes on as normal.

10 months somewhere isnt long but unfortunately the OP has chosen the most expensive State to be in. You just have to sit down with your husband and decide what you want to do as a family. Dont worry about the kids, as I say they are incredibly adaptable.

I guess it all depends on your own personal tolerance limits.Do you feel you could be happy there if things were working differently for you?Or is it more than that?What I am trying to say is if you like the place but not the situation you're in,then I would definately go for any job and if its crap then look at it as a temp thing.If its more than that,then you have to consider the whole picture and where you will be the happiest.The UK is'nt on its arse.No one can deny "some"people are struggling,but I don't personally know anyone out of work.We're all just carrying on with life as normal.

Guest Guest 47403
Given that you were struggling on 200k, my only question is "...will you be gone when then morning comes"?

​BigD

Have I missed something?

Guest guest76088

Read the quote (from an earlier post by OP) in my post above with particular attention to the last line.

Have I missed something?
Edited by guest76088

Guest Guest 47403

I agree with what's been said regarding sitting down with your husband it's sounds like it's impacting on your relationship but you need to decide one way or the other is he really against a move back?

However I would put my children's happiness above everything else in my decision making we all have different values.

Only you can decide whats right for you, no one to say how long you should give it a good go, completely understand the lack of work and money worries, hard to be in a country with no money and lack of family members around you, maybe im too stuck in my ways, but would rather be around family network and penniless in my homeland.

I've been back 18 months and both DH and I have been offered jobs - we don't want them as we are both retired but we could have had little jobs if we'd wanted. I know of only one of my acquaintance who wants a job but can't get one - and TBH, given his presentation and attitude, if I were an employer I wouldn't be offering him one either. My daughter in law, in hopes of a VR, which never eventuated, applied for a couple of positions and got them both but turned them down. Even my cousin's family in the grim north with no skills are all gainfully employed.

There are quite a few returnees who have managed to score jobs before they arrive back - sometimes, reigniting old networks works well. In general, most have scored something quite easily but there are, of course, some areas where it is harder than others.

As fort the kids - they'll be fine, as long as they have happy parents they'll just swim back into things - again pretty much all the returnees say that their kids have settled in brilliantly, have found their niche in school etc.

Guest Guest 47403
I've been back 18 months and both DH and I have been offered jobs - we don't want them as we are both retired but we could have had little jobs if we'd wanted. I know of only one of my acquaintance who wants a job but can't get one - and TBH, given his presentation and attitude, if I were an employer I wouldn't be offering him one either. My daughter in law, in hopes of a VR, which never eventuated, applied for a couple of positions and got them both but turned them down. Even my cousin's family in the grim north with no skills are all gainfully employed.

There are quite a few returnees who have managed to score jobs before they arrive back - sometimes, reigniting old networks works well. In general, most have scored something quite easily but there are, of course, some areas where it is harder than others.

As fort the kids - they'll be fine, as long as they have happy parents they'll just swim back into things - again pretty much all the returnees say that their kids have settled in brilliantly, have found their niche in school etc.

Have you bothered reading the OP's posts or just jumped on the get yourself back regardless bandwagon? :rolleyes: