What made you throw the towel in ?

PomPrincesses

Actually 2.4% is indeed very close and of course the gap is getting smaller.

It's not close at all. The last time unemployment was that low in the UK was 2008. Don't get the comment "and of course the gap is getting smaller", said as thought it's common knowledge for all. Latest figures seem to suggest the gap is getting wider.

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest chris955
It's not close at all. The last time unemployment was that low in the UK was 2008. Don't get the comment "and of course the gap is getting smaller", said as thought it's common knowledge for all. Latest figures seem to suggest the gap is getting wider.

Australias rate in 2011 was under 4%, the UKs was over 8%. One is trending up and the other down. If you were comparing Australia to Spain for example then yes the difference is huge but between Australia and the UK the difference is small.

Guest chris955
you only need to work 1 hour in aus to be classed as employed :arghh:

​Yes that is absurd, the criteria for being employed in both countries is crazy but 1 hour is just ridiculous.

Australias rate in 2011 was under 4%, the UKs was over 8%. One is trending up and the other down.

Difficult to see any real change in the trend for Aus since the GFC. australia-unemployment-rate.jpg

or the UK for that matter. united-kingdom-unemployment-rate.jpg

australia-unemployment-rate.jpg

united-kingdom-unemployment-rate.jpg

Edited by Peach

The simple truth is jobs are becoming harder to find. The WA market is only so big.How many newbies arriving each week? There is only so much to go around.

With the mining coming of the boil where exactly are the new jobs going to be created? It takes time to filter through the system so it'll still be several months ...a year until the trend will more than likely become obvious.

Guest chris955

So you really do look at things upside down in Australia, I thought it was just a schoolboy joke ;)

Actually, looking at the worms like HB suggested, you could say that the UK looks to be heading up Aus down.:wink:

Guest chris955

I think that is why we saw that WA bucked the trend and unemployment rose last month on the back of, they say, the mining downturn.

The simple truth is jobs are becoming harder to find. The WA market is only so big.How many newbies arriving each week? There is only so much to go around.

With the mining coming of the boil where exactly are the new jobs going to be created? It takes time to filter through the system so it'll still be several months ...a year until the trend will more than likely become obvious.

Last I heard flag was something like 1500 people a week coming into WA and most to Perth I would guess.

Obvious it can't carry on, has to be stagnation point at some time. Went a bike ride up to Yanchep yesterday, along Marmion Ave and the number of new houses and estates either being built or planned for up there is staggering. We went about 65Km all up and after Mindarie there are either new houses being built or landcorp signs in the bush telling people to keep out, so must be planned for building at some point.

Saw a Kangaroo for the first time in ages, big one too, glad there were no cars at the time.

Guest chris955

Its ridiculous, just keep knocking down the bush to build endless souless estates. They will just end up like ghettos when the work dries up and people move back to civilisation.

I think the shandies have hit you hard, your figures are way out but I see what you have done ;) You took the % figure to be millions, ie 8 and 5 million.

thanks pay no attention then to that post i feel deeply humiliated though the graphs still look favouribly better for the uk

Guest chris955
thanks pay no attention then to that post i feel deeply humiliated though the graphs still look favouribly better for the uk

LOL. No problem. Yes it seems clear that one is trending down and the other up but honestly neither is as bad as many other countries around the world.

Its ridiculous, just keep knocking down the bush to build endless souless estates. They will just end up like ghettos when the work dries up and people move back to civilisation.

They aren't exactly miles away from anywhere. If you have a job in Joondalup or Wanneroo they are only prob only 15 mins away. I wouldn't like to travel into Perth every day from there but a lot do. Perth is not that big yet.

We're chucking the towel In because we are really bored living in perth, it's a large town with no escape at all. It just like living in a large uk town ( ie Norwich) and never being able to go anywhere else. We're hours away from any other towns ( which are a smaller version of perth ) and 4 hours by plane away from another city.

Did you not look at a map before you moved to Perth?