Would you work for minimum wage?

Hubby and I have been in Oz about 6 weeks now and we are job hunting. I am Aussie and hubby is on a 309 partner visa. Today he was offered a job. Back in London he used to be a service engineer, fixing vending and coffee machines mostly, although he does have NVQ2s in refrigeration and some electrical qualifications also. He really enjoyed it, and although it wasn't high paid it was okay, it was about the average London wage, plus a company car, phone etc etc. He wanted to do the same thing here but there are not a huge amount of vending companies in Adelaide, and the ones he has been in contact with all need him to have some sort of refrigeration or electrical qualifications. He has these in the UK but we have just found out that he can't really do a course to get them recognised here, and has been told his only option is to do an adult apprenticeship in either refrigeration or electrical, which could take a number of years and pay less than $10 an hour. Anyway today one of the vending companies he cold called for a job came back and offered him a job doing exactly what he did in London, and no refrigeration/electrical qualifications needed. Fab. The problem is, the job is only on a casual basis (although every Mon-Fri), so no holidays/sick pay etc, its on the other side of the city from where we live (a good 90 min to 2 hour commute EACH WAY, by car, no reasonable public transport), no company car (which means rather than going straight to a job, he will have to drive to the office first every morning to pick up a van, which is just crazy really considering a some of his work will be in the southern suburbs (where we live) - so he will drive north for 90 minutes, to pick up the van, only to drive south again, and then reverse this at the end of the day), and he will only be paid $19 an hour.

I think hubby is mad to accept it, he wouldn't accept minimum wage and a 2 hour each way commute in London for a job, so why do it here? If the money was better, the commute would be fine. If there was no commute, well, the money would be tolerable and better than nothing, just to get something in until he found something better. But with everything together, it just seems silly to take it, it will cost a fortune in diesel to drive to and from work every day, he will rarely see our son, and there is no safety net if he needs a sick day etc. If they had said that they would look to make him permanent at some point, I could even accept it. But there is no way this is going to end up being a permanent job, he is going to need to get something else eventually, and he wont be able to look for anything else if he is working and commuting all hours.

It's not like we need the money, he can afford to be a little fussy. We're living with my family in a nice house, no outgoings other than diesel and chipping in for food, we already have a car, and we have $15K or so in the bank. My personal opinion is that if he is going to accept rubbish wages, he'd be better off doing the adult apprenticeship, and getting qualifications in the end where he can earn some decent cash. I think he is going a little stir crazy being at home every day, and wants to work so that Australia can start to feel like home and not a holiday. He also feels that there isn't a lot of vending jobs around, so he doesn't have a lot of options, unless he either does something else he has never done before and probably also fairly low paid, or goes for the apprenticeship. He really loved his job in London so I know he would prefer to stay fixing vending machines. He is going to look at the apprenticeship option (he's waiting to speak to the training centre to see when he would be able to start if he went that way), but thinks this will be a good way to pass the time and keep him busy until the apprenticeship starts or he finds something else. I'm worried he will do this and get into a rut and not leave.

What would you do? Hubby is going to spend the weekend thinking about it (they want him to start Monday), I really don't think he should waste his time on this but I don't want to go on about it to him, as it needs to be his decision and I will support him whatever he decides. So I am getting my thoughts out of my system by posting here.

Guest chris955

I think mad isnt close to describing what he would be to accept that with that pay and conditions. Sorry but that would be absolutely crazy, I can understand wanting to get into work but that is being taken advantage of.

I think he should do it. Where abouts are you living and driving to? I drive from Edwardstown to burton every day. Takes 45 minutes in the morning and an hour on the way home. Going out that way is pretty good, it is once you hit the Emerson underpass than it gets tough on the way home.

Australian experience means a lot here, and while he is out and about he will be making contacts. There is nothing to stop him still looking. A huge amount of the jobs here are casual so that part shouldn't put him off. Just think of it as work experience rather than his life time job.

If your lucky enough to not need the money, then i would push the company either for a vehicle or a higher wage.You have nothing to lose if they say no.

I have known a few migrants get jobs on a 'casual' basis,including my hubby,, over half of them end up permanent or managing the place within a few months,a lot of company's seem to use 'casual' as a safety net to make sure you can actually do what you say you can.... Overall if hubby 'really' had to have a job i think he should take it, you never know where it could lead.

Cal x

Well, I think he recognizes that although you think you have no money issues. You have. $15k is nothing and will soon disappear. It's not even a deposit on a house.

Then yes, he probably needs to be doing something. Sat around in a house in a foreign country as a stranger in someone else's house is not easy. I would be going stir crazy.

In the long term I don't know the answer. Maybe there isn't one.

I would for one reason only, networking. It's often who you know not what you know.

OH took an ok job on ok money which didn't work out but he made some great connections and those people will be invaluable to us for getting the inside track on our next venture.

Your OH be dealing with clients on a daily basis and it is through them he will find out about other opportunities and get to know who's who's and how things work.

OK - Maybe two reasons, earning 'something' is better than not earning and savings have a habit of disappearing very quickly.

If it was me I'd go for the qualification, that at least opens doors for the future and will have more earning potential in the future.

It could be the challenge that he needs to make the move feel more like home and have a settling effect.

Eithe way gd luck

Roon

Guest chris955

Well I can see the advantage from the point of view of being out of the house, networking etc but 4 hours out of the day travelling for that money is not something I would personally do.

I think showing an attitude of being willing to work goes a long way with many people. Being a bit precious, "I won't get out of bed for that" doesn't tend to. It might not be what he wants to do long term, but it might open doors, it demonstrates a work ethic, it could be viewed as a stepping stone and it keeps things ticking over in meantime. It is surely better than sitting around doing nothing. I remember when I first graduated and struggled for my first opportunity, I was willing to do anything to start to pay off my debts, I then remember watching one of those daytime programs and there were some students on there refusing to do anything other than exactly what they wanted to do. Well who knows what they are up to now, probably still sitting around thinking the world owes them a living.

A mixed bag of replies, interesting. Blossom, we're in Seaford Rise and he'd have to commute to up near Salisbury. Moving to the northern suburbs isn't an option as we are staying rent and bill free with my family and they will help us looking after our son when we're both working, so less child are costs.

I know $15k isn't a huge amount but we seriously have very little to spend money on, we're in a very lucky situation in that I have comfortable parents who insist on making life as easy for us as possible until we're both working, and even then they will continue to allow us to stay rent and bill free until we're ready to buy, a few years from now. I think they are just making sure that we don't decide Australia isn't working for us and move ourselves and their grandson back to the UK.

You guys are right with the networking and the casual thing. It's just the money is so bad, and mixed with that commute.....

Guest chris955
Mmmm, yer, that would be a huge pain in commuting. Maybe I wouldn't take it.....

That would put me off more than anything else.

It looks different when you really look into it, it isnt a case of not being willing to accept a job or being precious about it, I think it comes down to practicality.

My husband is a trained science teacher. When we came over 7 years ago he registered with QLD education and got no response. Not a sausage. He volunteered at my daughter's school to work in the tuck shop for nothing. There he heard about teaching assistant jobs at the secondary and one of his tuck shop mates put a word in. As a lowly paid teaching assistant he got lucky when someone discovered he was trained so he got to do supply. He then got a temp teaching job and then - a rarity in Australia and in teaching in general - a permanent position!!

Contacts and serendipity are everything in Oz - sure you don't need the money, but it may beat being bored at home - I'd give it a go if I was him - he is casual and can always give it up in a moment if he gets something better

If you don't need the money - have you thought that it's about his self esteem? Perhaps getting out doing something is better than nothing, it also starts an employment history and he'll be making contacts that he may be able to use later.

It looks different when you really look into it, it isnt a case of not being willing to accept a job or being precious about it, I think it comes down to practicality.

Yer, the journey in wouldn't be too bad (long but at least moving all the way) but the journey home would involve a large chunk of practically stand still traffic. That can be soul destroying.

What does your husband want to do?? I started on $17 an hour, then got another job at $44 and now got one paying unbetween both of those..I've worked temp casual for 14 months..not out of choice! Surely it is your husbands decision to make?!?

I did actually say in my original post that it was his decision and I didn't want to bang on my opinion as I don't want to influence him and I will support him whatever he decides - although we married and we have a family so I think my opinion counts at least a little.

The problem is not the money, it's the money combined with the commute. In rush hour it will probably take 90 minutes, and up to 2 hours if traffic is really bad for him to get to work. That is a lot of travel time each week, and probably a good chunk of his (tiny) wages will be spent on diesel.

I think he is going to go for it, he wants to try for a month and if he likes it then either ask for more money/car or look for something else/do the apprenticeship, as some of you have said the contacts and local experience he will get will be beneficial. I guess I will just need to make sure I start pulling in a good wage in the meantime.

I worked as an employment law advisor in the UK for the Civil Service management grade. Here I work as a home help on not much more than the minimum wage although I do get some mileage . Damn right he should take it. Like me it's a means to an end. A way to get out the house get valuable Aussie work experience and quite frankly away from the in laws fora bit which can't be easy however well he gets on with them. Support him don't put him down.

I worked as an employment law advisor in the UK for the Civil Service management grade. Here I work as a home help on not much more than the minimum wage although I do get some mileage . Damn right he should take it. Like me it's a means to an end. A way to get out the house get valuable Aussie work experience and quite frankly away from the in laws fora bit which can't be easy however well he gets on with them. Support him don't put him down.

Im not sure where I put him down? I complained about the job situation.

I think it comes across that you'd rather he not do it, but as I said in my previous post it may be to do with his self esteem and actually getting out of the house and feeling that he's doing something meaningful. Whilst being supported financially etc. by others it's often good to feel that you're doing something and thus contributing because you're working. I'm sure he doesn't intend this to be his career path, but it's all about getting a foot on the ladder. My hubby came her saying he would sweep floors if he needed to - and would have let him because working and feeling useful is important to him (although he quite fancied being a pool cleaner lol) and he has a qualified broadcasting engineer.

If he does take it and it turns out that a lot of his jobs are south-ish after a few weeks perhaps he could suggest being allowed to take a van home in the evenings so as to make his working run more efficient?

As far as the commute goes I travel from Lockleys upto Pooraka once a week for a voluntary position and that nearly always take me 40/45 minutes and that's after 9am, so nowhere near the distance your husband will be doing - together with all of the driving to appointments during his working day, be prepared for him being pretty tired once he starts!

I think the apprentice/training sounds like a good option and that too would probably lead to contacts and networking given that he's mature and experienced.

My personal view is that if they are offering work of some sort, even though he has to commute, as a migrant he should take it and just see where it goes. Remember that in Australia it is all about "who you know" and not "what you know". Once he has proved how good he is at the job.... well you never know where that will lead.

Ali, I agree, hubby is a real grafter and this is the first time he has been unemployed since he was 16, I think the novelty of not working has worn off, he really wants to get back to work. I guess I am also a little annoyed as I know that although the job isn't typically well paid anyway, they're offering considerably less than what he got for doing the same thing in the UK, and a lot less than what we have seen similar jobs advertised at. I don't know if they are taking the mick or not. My parents seem to think they are taking advantage of him. I guess I'd prefer him to do the apprenticeship, as there will be better prospects at the end - but it's not really my decision. We'll see what happens.

Archived